As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Marvel's The Avengers] Officially sunset as of 2023, goodbye true believers

Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
edited January 2023 in Games and Technology
sqok71ru4dwr.jpg

New Content Roadmap for 2021
371b6fm4mih4.jpg

Some trailers!
https://youtu.be/k-POG1-Cp1k
https://youtu.be/gGxuafH6E0U

Next, a synopsis!
Marvel's Avengers begins during A-Day, a celebratory day for the Avengers coinciding with the unveiling of their new headquarters and helicarrier. After a tragedy resulting in death and destruction, the Avengers are blamed for the incident. "Five years later, with all Superheroes outlawed and the world in peril, the only hope is to reassemble Earth’s Mightiest Heroes.

tvc7olwa052q.jpg

Okay, so how's it play?
Here's Ars Technica impression's of the beta:
The beta opens with an all-star superhero brawl in San Francisco, primarily atop the Golden Gate Bridge, and it may look familiar, as this previously premiered at last year's E3. It's a show-of-force intro, with players jumping from one familiar superhero to the next: Thor, Hulk, Iron Man, Captain America, and Black Widow. Each comes with a mix of melee, ranged, counter, and special attacks, and each can put the serious smackdown on large crowds of generic robo-soldier foes. Pummel, run, jump, and repeat.

As a tone-setting mission, this battle in San Francisco runs on PS4 Pro at a consistent 30fps refresh while serving up a delectable variety of explosive effects and detailed characters. Really, the whole thing looks much better than prior reveals—especially the titular heroes' faces, which no longer look like stunt doubles from the real-life Avengers films. But having actual control of this mission reveals a sluggishness to nearly every character's attacks. Black Widow's fisticuffs are the closest thing this game has to "snappy," with everyone else feeling like they've been hit by a ray of Kryptonite (yep, I'm conflating my comics-publisher canon on purpose there).

Worse, even Black Widow, a supposed sharpshooter, suffers from a gross mix of button-press lag and jerky-aim recoil whenever she uses a ranged attack, and the same can be said for every other hero. Hulk's ranged attack is a great example of how badly Crystal Dynamics handles this aspect of combat. Hulk must go through an animation of scooping debris from the ground and wadding it into a ball before he can begin throwing. Then, he has an additional animation cycle to actually throw the thing. Worst of all, the apparent size of that ranged attack is pea-sized, requiring precision to strike your distant target, and its visual and audio impact is piddly. Some of those issues could be tradeoffs in the right mix, like slow-but-powerful or quick-and-wimpy, but as of press time, the beta's ranged attacks all feel unwieldy, weak, and ho-hum.

This applies even once you've played enough of the beta to amass new loot for a given hero, as each character has four equipment slots: one for melee attacks, one for ranged attacks, one for special attacks, and one for defense. Much like classic ARPG series (Diablo, Borderlands), you'll grind through increasingly tough missions to find and equip increasingly powerful equipment. But unlike those series, that equipment simply changes the stats for your hero's pre-set abilities.
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/08/avengers-video-game-beta-impressions-destiny-this-aint/

vf5daytic14l.png

Who can I play as?

Here's a list of CONFIRMED characters (note, Hank is not confirmed but heavily hinted at as playable eventually)

1f61pefuc3nc.png

Confirmed DLC Characters:

-Kate Bishop
https://youtu.be/BQWWIJJN6aY

-Hawkeye
https://youtu.be/1unyo3KWNSU

-Black Panther

Ok, where can I play it?

PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, and PC. Though edge does go to Sony for moneyhatting Spider-man in!

And when?

Game officially is out as of 9/4/2020

ww0zi3lix05v.jpg

Resources
Penny Arcade Friends List Google Doc
https://avengers.square-enix-games.com/en-us/
https://twitter.com/PlayAvengers?s=20
https://www.reddit.com/r/PlayAvengers/

Old OP Below:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rq_V6WHSmQs
What's that vauge ass trailer mean? Video games! With super heroes!
2017Marvel Entertainment and Square Enix announced today a multi-year, multi-game partnership, leading with the reveal of The Avengers project. This newly established partnership pairs the creative minds at Marvel and Square Enix for one of the most powerful alliances in interactive entertainment.

A game based on beloved Marvel heroes, The Avengers project is being crafted by Crystal Dynamics – longtime developers of the award winning Tomb Raider series – in collaboration with lauded Deus Ex developer Eidos-Montréal.

The Avengers project is being designed for gamers worldwide and will be packed with all the characters, environments, and iconic moments that have thrilled longtime fans of the franchise. Featuring a completely original story, it will introduce a universe gamers can play in for years to come. More details on The Avengers project and other games will be announced in 2018

Sounds great right? But wait, there's more!
The other, sources say, is a game based on Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy. That’ll be the second entry in Square Enix’s new partnership with Marvel, which the two companies announced last Thursday. Eidos Montreal is also helping out on The Avengers, which is helmed by Crystal Dynamics.

From what we hear, Square Enix doesn’t plan to greenlight another Deus Ex game at Eidos Montreal for quite some time, unless Mankind Divided suddenly becomes more profitable. Mankind Divided was a large investment for the Japanese publisher, taking nearly five years to make.
http://kotaku.com/sources-eidos-working-on-guardians-of-the-galaxy-game-1791775589

Gasp! Drama! Intrigue! So far all we know is two games in this new franchise are coming, and given the track record of both teams on the project I imagine it's gonna be some kind of Third Person Action game, with some possible RPG elements. Who knows? Maybe they'll take a stab at that cancelled first person Avengers game THQ fumbled.

Speculate away because we likely won't hear much about this for a while

Oh and Sony is getting a Spider-Man game made by Insomniac which is looking mighty good but it likely has nothing to do with this new 'Marvel Game Universe'

Local H Jay on

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    That spidey game if it isn't bullshit CG looks rad

I'm ready for Marvel's answer to the arkham games.

• FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    So here's a question: which Marvel heroes would make for the best games?

After all, it doesn't work for all of them. Superman games have been notoriously tricky to pull off, for example. He could traverse the biggest sandbox you could possibly design in half a second, it would be incredibly hard to balance the challenges he'd be facing from small scale Intergang goons to large scale Brainiac robots, etc, etc. The same would apply to some Marvel heroes. Dr. Strange, for example, can teleport almost anywhere in space, time, and the multiverse, in addition to having an almost bottomless array of spells at his disposal.

Generally, it seems like street-level heroes such as Spidey, Daredevil, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, The Punisher, etc, would all be the easiest to pull off. The fact that they're going straight for the Avengers is pretty ballsy.

• Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Apparently any further Deus Ex games are put on hold for this. :|

Not worth it.

No I don't.
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Fakefaux wrote: »

After all, it doesn't work for all of them. Superman games have been notoriously tricky to pull off, for example. He could traverse the biggest sandbox you could possibly design in half a second, it would be incredibly hard to balance the challenges he'd be facing from small scale Intergang goons to large scale Brainiac robots, etc, etc. The same would apply to some Marvel heroes. Dr. Strange, for example, can teleport almost anywhere in space, time, and the multiverse, in addition to having an almost bottomless array of spells at his disposal.

Generally, it seems like street-level heroes such as Spidey, Daredevil, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, The Punisher, etc, would all be the easiest to pull off. The fact that they're going straight for the Avengers is pretty ballsy.

I still think a Dr. Strange game would be absolutely crazy. I mean, they got past those issues ("I'm basically all-powerful! I can bend space and time and do anything!") in the movie by making the limiting factor his comfort level/experience with his powers, and you can do the same thing in a game (with unlockable skills)... although I guess you wouldn't want the game to track with the movie, so it couldn't be an origin story, which means... you couldn't rely on that crutch. It would have to be totally bizarre, with "you have to see this to believe it" set-pieces, and it couldn't be a gritty fighter like Batman.

Daredevil, I think, would work very well, but it's probably too samey. That one would be a gritty fighter. And the logical/inevitable suggestion of "throw in courtroom drama, a la Phoenix Wright!" wouldn't have mass market appeal, and you know it. It'd be jarring and really hard to pull off.

Also... wait, okay, never mind. Forget everything I said. This is the one. http://marvel.com/comics/characters/1011418/x-babies

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular

I imagine the rights to Spidey is a bit tricky, not sure if his movie rights extended to the games at all (the new game isn't directly related to Honecoming but past games have been). As for the others, as fun as Punisher would be I doubt they'd go for a murderous vigilante. The others feel plausible but not popular enough to warrant inclusion.

It's most likely going to be core heroes from the first Avengers film, with easy additions like War Machine and Vision worked in too. Maybe Civil War folks will make it into there, too.

We haven't gotten a good Iron Man game ever, so I would say he's the toughest one to nail. Hulk would be easy, just make Ultimate Destruction again. Hawkeye and Widow could have stealth and infiltration missions. They gotta nail the flight for Iron Man and Thor so they feel unique and fun. It won't be easy. I also wonder if co-op is in the mix as all...

Not worth it.

While I love Deus Ex, we just got one recently. And we haven't had a single decent Avengers game since the old side scroller Captain America and The Avengers in 1991.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2017

Not worth it.

While I love Deus Ex, we just got one recently. And we haven't had a single decent Avengers game since the old side scroller Captain America and The Avengers in 1991.

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance doesn't count?

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    I still think a Dr. Strange game would be absolutely crazy. I mean, they got past those issues ("I'm basically all-powerful! I can bend space and time and do anything!") in the movie by making the limiting factor his comfort level/experience with his powers, and you can do the same thing in a game (with unlockable skills)... although I guess you wouldn't want the game to track with the movie, so it couldn't be an origin story, which means... you couldn't rely on that crutch. It would have to be totally bizarre, with "you have to see this to believe it" set-pieces, and it couldn't be a gritty fighter like Batman.

Well, an old standby in the comics is that Strange gets his supplies of magical energy drained and has a hard time finding more... though they rarely played that through for a whole story arc, as it got old fast. Still, you could use that explanation if you wanted to have a game where his powers ramped up over time.
    I imagine the rights to Spidey is a bit tricky, not sure if his movie rights extended to the games at all (the new game isn't directly related to Honecoming but past games have been).

There have been a number of Spidey games in the not-too-distant past which featured expanded MU stuff, like Wolverine showing up and what not. I don't think the same rights restrictions apply to the games as they do to the movies.

Fakefaux on
    I love those games and the do fit the bill, but it's not really Avengers specifically. We can get nitpicky here... but you can rock a whole team of X-Men or Fantastic Four in that game and avoid all central Avengers pretty much the whole time. And while almost every Marvel A-Lister has been on the Avengers, it wasn't specifically a game about them.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Fair 'nuf

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    GMaster7 wrote: »

Well, and old standby in the comics is that Strange gets his supplies of magical energy drained and has a hard time finding more... though they rarely played that through for a whole story arc, as it got old fast. Still, you could use that explanation if you wanted to have a game where his powers ramped up over time.

I imagine the rights to Spidey is a bit tricky, not sure if his movie rights extended to the games at all (the new game isn't directly related to Honecoming but past games have been).

There have been a number of Spidey games in the not-too-distant past which featured expanded MU stuff, like Wolverine showing up and what not. I don't think the same rights restrictions apply to the games as they do to the movies.

I agree but a lot of those got around it by basing them explicitly on the comics. Movie games rights can be trickier. For instance, the new Sony Spidey game has nothing to do with the movies, so it could have expanded Marvel stuff there. But "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" game was explicitly made as a tie-in for the movie and likely couldn't plop Wolverine in there.

Same goes for Avengers Project. If it's based off the movies the rights to Spidey could get sticky, and it would be a bummer to have him left out because Sony Pictures doesn't want Spidey in the game that competes with Sony's exclusive title for their games division.

I'm betting it's not outright based on the movies, and will instead follow the lead of other recent Marvel games, which basically stick to the comics, but are very selective on what lore they keep and often add a MCU-esque aesthetic.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I'm betting it's not outright based on the movies, and will instead follow the lead of other recent Marvel games, which basically stick to the comics, but are very selective on what lore they keep and often add a MCU-esque aesthetic.

And have that ISO-8 bullshit

steam_sig.png
    Spoit wrote: »

And have that ISO-8 bullshit

The whosit with the whatsit?

• Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    Black Widow would make the best Arkham, Deus Ex, Ass Creed type game. Add some GTA in there too cause Nat would totally steal a car.

But this will never happen.

• McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Moon Knight would be the most direct fit for an Arkham style game to my mind, except instead of sneaking around you get bonus points by strolling up to a room full of bad guys in your sweet white suit.

So pretty different.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Phil Coulson has a pretty sweet arm complete with energy Cap shield. He could even borrow Mack's shotgunaxe.

... Just throwing it out there.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Alpha Protocol, done right with Agents of Shield?

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I hope that, much like the rest of the MCU, the game can just kind of quietly pretend Agents of Shield doesn't exist.

McFodder wrote: »
    Moon Knight would be the most direct fit for an Arkham style game to my mind, except instead of sneaking around you get bonus points by strolling up to a room full of bad guys in your sweet white suit.

So pretty different.

The problem with a Moon Knight game is A) he's not actually that much of a gadgeteer, so you're a little low on cool weapons and toys to keep gameplay varied and B) he's got a weakass rogues' gallery.

On the other hand, I like the idea of having a Moon Knight game where you switch between his three different personalities and three different costumes depending on what sort of fight you're facing. Like, one part of town is home to a international supertech smuggling ring, so you get the straight up superhero outfit for that. Another part of town is full of werewolves and ghosts, so you bring out the magic bones of Khonshu suit. Then a third part of town has some sort of psychopathic slasher that the cops can't find, so you change into the Mr. Knight suit and tie to talk with the cops and beat things with your fists.

Give each costume/personality its own upgrades and tech trees and conversation options. You could make the gameplay super varied with that.

As badass as that sounds, I doubt we'll see Moon Knight in anything aside from a cameo. Maybe if that rumored Ultimate Alliance 3 happens he'd be there, but that game seems less and less likely to happen as time goes on.

As badass as that sounds, I doubt we'll see Moon Knight in anything aside from a cameo. Maybe if that rumored Ultimate Alliance 3 happens he'd be there, but that game seems less and less likely to happen as time goes on.

Yeah, it's super unlikely due to his low name recognition and the other drawbacks I mentioned, but it would ben an interesting project if they tried. Maybe if he gets a Netflix show someday.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    What about Moon Knight as a Mark of the Ninja type game? Only with reverse stealth/fear or whatever mechanics?

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    That spidey game if it isn't bullshit CG looks rad

I'm ready for Marvel's answer to the arkham games.

what we saw of that was certainly not anything reflective of gameplay. it was an announcement trailer and it was made to look pretty.

I just hope the Spidey game finally clarifies whatever the hell Mr. Negative's power set is. That guy is all over the map in the comics.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2017/02/24/dice-2017-marvel-games-to-tell-original-stories-not-held-to-canon
    "We want to give [developers] freedom to tell their story and we want to make it an original story," Rosemann said.

"We want to give our partners...freedom to look at all of Marvel history and to pick from what interests them. It's a bit like we're saying, 'Hey you're the chef, you're going to make this meal. Here's all of the ingredients. You pick the ingredients that you like and make a new meal."

We want to give them freedom to tell their story and we want to make it an original story."

Those new meals include four announced console and/or PC projects — Spider-Man for PS4, Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series, Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite, and The Avengers project from Square Enix.

Though all of these titles involve characters prominently featured in Marvel's current film slate, Rosemann pointed to the white spider emblem on Spidey's costume during the E3 2016 reveal of Insomniac's game as a "deliberate" move to allow these projects to stand as their own, unique ideas.

"We want all of our games to tell an original, all new story," Rosemann said. "We want [our development partners] to have passion, we want them to put their stamp on the games. It's their game. We want it to be their vision."

Rosemann did note, however that Marvel does consider where audiences are coming from with their awareness of each property. So, for example, Telltale's Guardians project will feel "familiar to people who have seen the movie," the first of which stands as Marvel Studios' fifth most successful film at the box office domestically and worldwide, with Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 hitting this May.

"We're not going to rush things, we're not going to get things out before they're done," Rosemann said, instead referring to Marvel Games' position as a company licensing its IP out to partner developers with the intent of giving them the space, and the support, needed to fulfill their creative visions.

so a tiny update on this, though nothing major. Crystal Dynamics have taken on some ex-Visceral and Naughty Dog staff.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/1/24/16927574/marvel-avengers-game-crystal-dynamics-development-team
    Developer Crystal Dynamics is assembling its team of industry talent to bring its game based on Marvel’s Avengers to life. The developer and publisher Square Enix announced today that it had hired 15 “top industry talent” to the Avengers development team, including former Naughty Dog creative director Shaun Escayg and Stephen Barry, a 27-year veteran of EA and Visceral Games.

Escayg, who served as creative director and writer on Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, will serve as creative director on The Avengers Project. Barry was previously director of product development at Visceral Games, where he worked on the Dead Space franchise. Visceral Games was shuttered late last year.

As for the other hires, Crystal Dynamics studio co-head Ron Rosenberg touted them as “world-renowned industry veterans, spanning production leadership, animation, design, art and engineering, who have previously worked on games such as Batman: Arkham Origins, Dead Space, [and] Star Wars: Battlefront.”

Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix announced The Avengers Project in 2017. The game is being developed in tandem with Eidos Montreal, and according to today’s news release, the teams have apparently made “tremendous progress” on the title. Little is known about the game based on Marvel’s team of superheroes, but based on the debut teaser (posted above), it will feature Captain America, Hulk, Iron Man and Thor.

The next Marvel Studios movie based on the team, Avengers: Infinity War, hits theaters May 4.

this gives me the impression that the game is probably a couple of years off still. i don't imagine they'd be hiring a creative director if they were eyeing anywhere earlier than late 2019 or early 2020. still, its good to see Crystal Dynamics grow and adding talent to the project.

can't find it on youtube yet but here is the reveal, at long last.

You beat me to it

I'm very conflicted but probably still gonna buy it because I am so very weak

I have a really bad feeling the Sony exclusive content is Spider-Man related

If he's only on PS4 I might vomit

(Though it would be cool if it was Insomniac's Spidey...)

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm almost positive it's Spider-Man.

i went back page by page before the show started to find this thread. would have been faster if i'd found that tweet sooner.

its not what i was expecting. really thought we were gonna get a 'create your own hero' affair, but can understand why they haven't gone that route. seems like its gonna have a pretty strong campaign, want to know more about post-campaign though. we're getting new areas and new heroes, but what does that mean exactly?

sounds like they've got a bullshit exclusivity deal with Sony of the type that Bungie just crawled out from under, which is a massive disappointment. that probably puts cross-play into question too, which for an online co-op game releasing in 2020 is not a good look.

but i'm on board so far. maybe not totally wowed, but still excited and eager to learn more. Crystal Dynamics have a strong track record so they get the benefit of the doubt for now.

It's obnoxious because all my friends are on Xbox, so I'd like to get it there like I get most of my stuff. But if Spidey is only on PS4, I'd have to buy that version and yeah, I kinda resent having my hand forced like that. My PSN list is like, 10 people.

Unless it's crossplay... Then you can still play with your friends on Xbox as Spider-Man... Of course that's probably not very likely.

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    I really hope it's good. I don't know why I have the sneaking suspicion that it's mediocre. But we'll see. I'm at least glad they're doing the fully original canon Spiderman-style, and not an MCU licensed game.

urahonky wrote: »
    Unless it's crossplay... Then you can still play with your friends on Xbox as Spider-Man... Of course that's probably not very likely.

Sony is not playing ball with the crossplay game. Only Fortnite to this day has been allowed.

urahonky wrote: »

Sony is not playing ball with the crossplay game. Only Fortnite to this day has been allowed.

Oh for some reason I thought there was more than Fortnite. Fuck Sony for that.

Zek wrote: »
    I really hope it's good. I don't know why I have the sneaking suspicion that it's mediocre. But we'll see. I'm at least glad they're doing the fully original canon Spiderman-style, and not an MCU licensed game.

yeah Marvel have been pretty good about having the games be their own thing with no direct links(so far) to each other, and no tie-ins to the movies. of course that didn't stop TellTale and now Crystal Dynamics from heavily aping the look of the movie versions of these characters.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Huh, color me cautiously optimistic. Not what I was expecting, which is a good thing.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Some day I will be able to make The Punisher an Avenger, but today is not that day (shakes fist) !