As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nioh: Onimusouls Action Available on Feb 7!

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I HUNGER.

Just as I bought a PS4 for bloodborne I'm now tempted to get a pro for this.......

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    the different Katanas also had little icons that were different which in the description seemed to denote if it was slashing mostly or a hybrid slash/thrust weapon

I don't know if the moves differed substantially, didn't seem to much.

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    The differences in the types of weapons (axe vs. hammer, types of spears, chain sickles, etc.) only varied the base stats some, but without someone diving hard into the game's internal formulas, it'd be really difficult to tell what those stats really meant and which would be more useful to you.

One katana had better parry rating for example over another katana's break rating. One katana could reach a higher cap of damage over another equally leveled katana. The actual animations in the attacks didn't change at all.

Then you have a lot of superfluous sounding stats like "Close Combat X" or "Spirit Defense" and it would have a grade like B-. I know D.Souls and Bloodborne worked on that level, but I'd much rather just have numbers and percentages.

It was also possible to get items that modified elemental damage without actually providing you with the element damage itself. If the weapon had an element type to it, it would deal that % in additional damage, such as a Water katana. Then you could find armor that had a stat like Earth +14, but it didn't add Earth damage to your attacks, only modified what was already there - if you couldn't do Earth damage, the stat was useless to you.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Every stat is explained in the game if you hit Options on that screen and scroll over the stat. A little tool tip pops up and says exactly what it does.

The loot system has a lot of stats because clearly they expect you to play past the end of the story and work on "builds" like DIablo (thus the Twilight system). Some people will do that, other's will not, but it's clearly a component of the game.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    This and Yakuza 0 are one hell of a combo to hit my PS4 and my wallet this month.

Really looking forward to seeing the full game now after playing all the demos that have trickled out.

One week to go. Starting to feel the hype for this.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    My hype for this burns.

I already got my preorder in i don't know how i'm going to handle waiting all day for the fed-ex truck on the 7th

Zunde on
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    For folks that were unable to download the Mark of the Conqueror, you can now go to the Add-Ons section of the store and download it.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    For folks that were unable to download the Mark of the Conqueror, you can now go to the Add-Ons section of the store and download it.

I couldn't even beat one boss though :(

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    edited January 2017
    The Ogress is pretty easy.
    Just stay behind her and dodge her attacks that have huge tells. When she jumps in the air, roll back then come in and punish as she has huge recovery after that attack. If she winds up for her Wolverine rapid slash just slide behind her, even if you take a hit or two of that, you will survive and it has a massive recovery time as well.

GnomeTank on
    None of the demos are accessible anymore, so I'm not sure there's much point in advising Cantido on how to do a thing they can't attempt.

She's almost certainly going to be a boss in the full game, that would be the point. I doubt they will change her that much between the demo and the release. That entire area felt relatively well baked (which is probably why they made it the demo).

• DacDac Registered User regular
    ... Oh, no demo anymore?

... Well, that sucks. Why was it time-limited?

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
    Dac wrote: »
    ... Oh, no demo anymore?

It wasn't really a demo. It was a last minute network beta test in the guise of a "last chance demo". The real goal, from their end, was to test network stuff.

I never even tried to do a co-op summon game or anything with the Ochiko bowls, so I guess I failed the purpose of the beta, other than giving myself fun (useless?) DLC rewards.

I noticed the Deluxe edition of the game offers a set of five weapons, along with a set of armor, and a dynamic theme, and is essentially a seasons pass for three DLC packs as they become available, all for an additional $20CDN.

I wonder if purchasers of the deluxe edition can wear the armor, die in game, and have it get transferred to slayers of their spirit the way other loot gets distributed.

I wonder if purchasers of the deluxe edition can wear the armor, die in game, and have it get transferred to slayers of their spirit the way other loot gets distributed.

I doubt it. I figure the gear you get from beating Revenants is just of a similar rating, not literally any of the gear worn by the deceased.

GnomeTank wrote: »
    ... Oh, no demo anymore?

It wasn't really a demo. It was a last minute network beta test in the guise of a "last chance demo". The real goal, from their end, was to test network stuff.

Well. I hope this Mark of the Conqueror thing they're offering isn't anything cool, because it's lame it's unattainable now.

... Oh, no demo anymore?

Well. I hope this Mark of the Conqueror thing they're offering isn't anything cool, because it's lame it's unattainable now.

I'm sure it's just starter gear that's a tiny bit better than what everyone else gets and will be outclassed quickly.

• DracilDracil Registered User regular

I doubt it. I figure the gear you get from beating Revenants is just of a similar rating, not literally any of the gear worn by the deceased.

Pretty sure you can. I loved farming people who got the set armor in the demo because it meant I could loot their pieces

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
    ... Oh, no demo anymore?

I'm sure it's just starter gear that's a tiny bit better than what everyone else gets and will be outclassed quickly.

I think it's actually just cosmetic gear that lets you take advantage of the transmog system to ensure that you always have a stylish hat.

edited February 2017
    ... Oh, no demo anymore?

I think it's actually just cosmetic gear that lets you take advantage of the transmog system to ensure that you always have a stylish hat.

... Hope not, that would be the one kind of thing that would really piss me off.

Dac on
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    I go to try the demo but was never able to make it past the two enemies by the water. Every time I reached them I was either immediately was killed or fell into the water killing myself.

To each his own. I had the same experience (at first at least), and smiled knowing i found another Souls game to play. Then i got to work.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    ... Oh, no demo anymore?

... Hope not, that would be the one kind of thing that would really piss me off.

Because of two pieces of cosmetic gear among hundreds of possible other options? You don't even know if you'll like them, they could be ugly, who knows. Seems like an unfortunate reason to be pissed off.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    ... Oh, no demo anymore?

Because of two pieces of cosmetic gear among hundreds of possible other options? You don't even know if you'll like them, they could be ugly, who knows. Seems like an unfortunate reason to be pissed off.

I earned the items, but I personally feel that limited time cosmetic gear is annoying. I'm personally against any limited-time content. I'm pretty hardline against digital scarcity of any kind. Unlike physical goods, it's a complete fabrication, and a naked attempt to manipulate people into controlled purchasing decisions and patterns. Which is great for the publisher, and terrible for consumers - especially those that worry or desire "completeness" in a digital product.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    I did everything in the Demo and i'm still not able to download the second Mark reward it's not even showing up.

edited February 2017
    Zunde wrote: »
    I did everything in the Demo and i'm still not able to download the second Mark reward it's not even showing up.

Sony commented on this - it won't be up until the game launches:

Drez on
    Awesome-sauce.

I just put in my preorder today oh i can hardly wait to samurai up some demon fools.

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Funny when PlayStation itself is wrong.

Go to the store, use the search feature to look up Nioh. Should have your Mark right there.

Unless not everyone is seeing that, in which case D:

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    Arthil wrote: »

Go to the store, use the search feature to look up Nioh. Should have your Mark right there.

At the time that tweet was made you could only download Mark of the Strong.

• BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Reviews are starting to drop, favorable opinions all around so far.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    As much as I would love to play another Souls-like game, like right now, I still have RE7 and FFXV to finish, and I haven't even started Last Guardian. I think I'd rather save my money for when I'll actually have time to play it.

Game looks great though.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Yeah its kinda bad timing for me to, been playing the latest Tales game, and new WoW raiding content is only a few weeks old....but I will make time. I played the demo that came out last year, and really liked it.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    Other than the theme, does the digital deluxe version on PSN have any additional content over the physical copy?

I'm debating which direction I should go in this time.

Arthil wrote: »

At the time that tweet was made you could only download Mark of the Strong.

Didn't know it was available now. Will go download.

Tally-ho!

Drez wrote: »
    Other than the theme, does the digital deluxe version on PSN have any additional content over the physical copy?

Standard Edition Pre-Order:
    • Bloody Grave Dynamic Theme Instant Reward
    • Nioh Armor to wear in-game, inspired by the ancient Nioh statues that stand guard at temples across Japan
    • Also included is the Crimson Master Armor to wear in-game, based on the battle dress worn by legendary samurai Yukimura Sanada (available for the first two weeks after launch).

Deluxe Edition Pre-Order
    • Five in-game weapons inspired by those found on Nioh statues across Japan
    • Season pass to unlock three pieces of DLC containing extra missions and story as well as a PS4 Avatar
    1. Dragon of the North – Venture deep into Japan’s embattled Northern provinces
    2. Defiant Honor – Fight in the bloody Winter Campaign of the Siege of Osaka
    3. Bloodshed’s End – Bring the Siege of Osaka to an end during the Summer Campaign
    • Nioh Armor to wear in-game, inspired by the ancient Nioh statues that stand guard at temples across Japan
    • Also included is the Crimson Master Armor to wear in-game, based on the battle dress worn by legendary samurai Yukimura Sanada (available for the first two weeks after launch).

Drez wrote: »

Standard Edition Pre-Order:

Deluxe Edition Pre-Order
    • Five in-game weapons inspired by those found on Nioh statues across Japan
    • Season pass to unlock three pieces of DLC containing extra missions and story as well as a PS4 Avatar
    1. Dragon of the North – Venture deep into Japan’s embattled Northern provinces
    2. Defiant Honor – Fight in the bloody Winter Campaign of the Siege of Osaka
    3. Bloodshed’s End – Bring the Siege of Osaka to an end during the Summer Campaign

So standard copy is the only thing available via physical?

Guess I'll order digital then.

Thanks!

edited February 2017
    Polygon has posted a "Why U No Have Review?"

The TL;DR is: "Fuck, this shit is hard."

IGN has a "Review in Progress" that emphasizes the diversity in engagements, the intricacies of combat, and the wacky world of Nioh's pseudo-historicity. They give it a tentative "9".

Eurogamer declares it to be Recommended, though they whinge about repetition and the glut of gear you accrue.

Game Informer is the first site to provide video evidence of beating the game; they gave it a Gold Star and the number 9. Though they liked it a good deal, they do comment on how environments have a great disparity in quality, with some being lame rearrangements of other environments. Sounds bit like how Dragon Age 2 would just start you at the top of a hill for one mission, and then the bottom of that hill for another.

metaghost on
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    So how deep in the Sengoku does Nioh get? Like do you see battlefields full of dudes or meet Tokugawa Ieyasu, Toyotomi Hideoshi, or Date Masamune? Because that pre-order dlc description has me curious.

Kadoken wrote: »
    So how deep in the Sengoku does Nioh get? Like do you see battlefields full of dudes or meet Tokugawa Ieyasu, Toyotomi Hideoshi, or Date Masamune? Because that pre-order dlc description has me curious.

Based on the demos, Ieyasu at the very least is an NPC and the 1v1 duel from Demo 2 & 3 is against... uh... Tachibana Muneshige. But none of the reviews talk much about the plot of the game.

Destructoid also gave it a 9.

The game is getting reviewed really well, and the detractors don't seem all that bad. Yeah, you get a lot of gear that just seems useless to you, but it'll actually serve you well by just offering up all the trash you get for more elixirs and the small amounts of Amrita you get.