As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] POST IN THE NEW THREAD!

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    jclast wrote: »
    It totally can be both!

51XBCXJ23KL._SX300_QL70_.jpg

I actually bought a copy of that ages ago. It was 99p and Trump means fart so we thought it would be funny. It never actually made it to the table. I'm not sure where it is now.
    Running the country I live in, I'm afraid. :sad:

I think that's open to interpretation

"Into the ground", perhaps.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    You're gonna want to do something =)

Yeah, I took a look when I got home last night and decided to settle for reading the rules over and texting my friends about it rather than punching things, but clearly I'm gonna have to do that. Fortunately radio parts come in various small boxes and bags we have no other use for here; I have a borderline-endless supply of the bags in particular.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular
    Gloomhaven has zero capacity to repack in the box. The contents are nice and snug for shipping, but once you pop the 18 sheets of cardboard it's all over. I'm not complaining about it as such, it's just not something you can bring to someone's house in the box. Not if you want setup time to take less than a decade.

For example, a monster is technically 4-10 cardboard standees, a stack of ~10 small size cards and one 4" square card. I put each set of those into its own ziplock bag for now, and the whole mess of them into these nice plastic cube boxes I have, but the space they now occupy is way larger.

The standees are all different sizes, which is great for art but a disaster for compact storage. It basically needs a custom solution or a dozen different improv ones. I need a small chest of drawers on wheels for this thing, with a variety of drawer sizes, widths and compartments.

It's going to be fun to play but not so fun to unpack, heh.

Meh. All my games are packed in ziplock baggies with the insert tossed; Gloomhaven will be no different. That's just what has to happen.

I usually do something similar but with cheap plano/style boxes instead. Makes it a lot easier to classify parts and accelerate setup time by a lot.

jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
    I just want to reiterate that Gloomhaven has 94 scenarios and 17 characters. You could play it every week, two scenarios a week, and not run out of content for almost a year. That's an insane value proposition even at the $120 MSRP. I can't believe he let these go for $64/$79 during the Kickstarter, with free shipping even.

I haven't played it yet, but this game deserves to be a runaway success.

• LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    So coming back to talk more about Inis after four plays.

The game is fucking great, and it's deep. The drafting round presents really interesting decisions, both in what you pass an opponent and in trying to figure out what cards are actually going to be useful to you this round. The endgame is tight and usually competitive despite the shameless encouragement of ganging up on the leader. There's interesting tension in the way the passing mechanic lets you stall but with a risk of losing your whole round. And frankly I think we're kind of just scratching the surface of the game because we still aren't good about figuring out when we need to hold a card to screw someone else out of a possible win at the end of a round, so as we get better at the game it could get even tenser and longer.

Double plus good, probably better than both Kemet and Cyclades, hype is not overhyped.

edited January 2017
    Anyone else who has unboxed Gloomhaven and tied all the monster decks and stat cards to the monster standees; did you wind up with two sets of monster standees without stat cards or decks? I have a stack of 10 little things with a lot of teeth and a stack of 2 big dudes, and neither has a monster card or deck.

Edit: I asked Isaac, and apparently the pair of big dudes are bosses, they're just the only ones that are numbered (or not just a single dude) so it threw me off. The little guys he said are something else, so I might have filed some monsters incorrectly. Will have to check when I get home.

Rius on
  • Wolf of DresdenWolf of Dresden Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Know it is a bit of a long shot given the way most interests in this thread skews but has anyone here played both the revised Band of Brothers Screaming Eagles and Ghost Panzer and can say which would be a better entry point to the system.

I think Ghost Panzer is a better showcase to the system - more combined arms scenarios and a more interesting mixture of units.

• DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    SUPER HOT SUPER HOT SUPER HOT

Darric on
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Cool as it seems, I'm pretty sure linking to kickstarters is verboten.

camo_sig2.png
  • DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    I wasn't sure if I imagined that rule. Removed.

Pretty sure you can say "so and so is doing a kickstarter", you just can't link directly to it. Gonna go check that now.

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    jclast wrote: »
    It totally can be both!

51XBCXJ23KL._SX300_QL70_.jpg

I actually bought a copy of that ages ago. It was 99p and Trump means fart so we thought it would be funny. It never actually made it to the table. I'm not sure where it is now.
    Ruining the country I live in, I'm afraid. :sad:

ftfy

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
      Bursar wrote: »
      A store near me had a sale going on, so I picked up the Pathfinder card game: Pirate Flavor, because I'd heard interesting things about the game and my group likes pirates. After playing a couple of solo games to get the feel for it, the word underlying this game is prepwork. You have to make character decks, then shuffle all the possible item decks, then build location decks using them, then shuffle everything again... Gah. The box insert is monstrous, presumably to hold all the cards for the expansions, but then the individual card trays are supposed to hold all the cards together in addition to having a special space just for the expansions by themselves. Are you supposed to keep the expansions separate from the trays, or just keep adding them to your piles as your collection grows?

And there's an entire class of card, "Loot," of which there is only one in the entire box and it gets a dedicated slot all to itself. Somebody explain this to me.

But the topper might be that it comes with a bonus 10-pack of clear sleeves, but there are by default at least 14 cards that you're encouraged to write on through the course of a campaign.

Add to your piles as you go.

There will be more Loot cards as you open Adventure decks.

There are printable files on the Paizo website; you don;t have to write on your cards.

I fear I came across as too harsh when I posted that. I want to like this. I'll definitely play more of it until I figure it out (one of the trial missions I played on my own was a Charisma-based boss! That's awesome!). I don't know if I'll be able to run a "campaign" out of it. But, man, that box was the promise of feature creep made reality.

GNU Terry Pratchett
      PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
      Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
      egc6gp2emz1v.png
    • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      Got gloomhaven today. Holy shit that thing is big.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
        A store near me had a sale going on, so I picked up the Pathfinder card game: Pirate Flavor, because I'd heard interesting things about the game and my group likes pirates. After playing a couple of solo games to get the feel for it, the word underlying this game is prepwork. You have to make character decks, then shuffle all the possible item decks, then build location decks using them, then shuffle everything again... Gah. The box insert is monstrous, presumably to hold all the cards for the expansions, but then the individual card trays are supposed to hold all the cards together in addition to having a special space just for the expansions by themselves. Are you supposed to keep the expansions separate from the trays, or just keep adding them to your piles as your collection grows?

And there's an entire class of card, "Loot," of which there is only one in the entire box and it gets a dedicated slot all to itself. Somebody explain this to me.

But the topper might be that it comes with a bonus 10-pack of clear sleeves, but there are by default at least 14 cards that you're encouraged to write on through the course of a campaign.

Add to your piles as you go.

There will be more Loot cards as you open Adventure decks.

There are printable files on the Paizo website; you don;t have to write on your cards.

I fear I came across as too harsh when I posted that. I want to like this. I'll definitely play more of it until I figure it out (one of the trial missions I played on my own was a Charisma-based boss! That's awesome!). I don't know if I'll be able to run a "campaign" out of it. But, man, that box was the promise of feature creep made reality.

No not harsh at all.

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
        Bogart wrote: »
        I have downloaded the original Sherlock Holmes newspapers for the case that stumped us and yep there's the
        actress we had no way of finding mentioned in the entertainments section. Edited out of the Ystari edition.

What an abysmal job of publishing Ystari managed. Hopefully the new expansions won't be this badly proof-read.

Disappointingly, Mythos Tales, which I got excited about as it was billed as Consulting Detective meets Lovecraft, apparently has a bunch of errors as well, and doesn't even have the excuse of being a translation. In a game where errors of this kind essentially make it unplayable, it's astonishing that more care wasn't taken.

The thing that gets me is the people who defend the Consulting Detective errors as if they are acceptable or it is my fault for being annoyed at them.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
      • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
        Fully 20% of the cases are unsolvable due to printing errors, and the proof-reading is unacceptably sloppy. Several other cases are made far more difficult than need be by the lack of clarity or the mistakes.

It's just a tragic state of affairs that a game in which the text is everything had such abysmal failures in proof-reading and testing.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
        Is there a fan 'patch'?

I think there are various bits of errata floating around, and you can grab the original newspapers from bgg.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
        edited February 2017
        Ah_Pook wrote: »
        Auralynx wrote: »
        DarkPrimus wrote: »
        This box is kind of huge.

I used to say that, but I'm a board game box size queen now, so I'm afraid I can't take your word for it unless you take a picture of it next to a copy of Space Hulk or Kingdom Death for comparison.

It is noticeably taller but not as long as the Kingdom Death box, so KD is probably a bit bigger.

This is a really clear rulebook thus far, imo.

Unless something comes close to Cthulhu Wars, it will always be just medium size. Space Hulk and KDM are half the size of that.

Gloomhaven: 16x11.5x7.5
        Cthulhu Wars: 17 x 13 x 6.5

They're pretty close

1380 cubic inches vs 1436.5 cubic inches.

I'd say being about 4% bigger is within the margin of error alright.

Unless I've screwed up my math somewhere, or these numbers are inaccurate.

Note; I'm not debating whether or not the contents fit perfectly or anything of the sort.

Just sayin', they both sound like pretty fucking big boxes. A sub 30% variance isn't really enough for me to say "oh god that second one is a MONSTER".

Forar on
        First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
      • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
        Gvzbgul wrote: »
        Is there a fan 'patch'?

Yeah, there's one on BGG that has a list of fixes, in addition to the newspapers.

I finally got Gloomhaven repacked, with nearly everything in the box! If I were less scrupulous about how I'm storing the monster sets, it'd all be back in the box. I have first-game resources separated from add-gradually resources, so setup shouldn't take too long. I also went out and bought 450 Euro Mini sleeves and used about 380 of them, expecting to use another 40 or so on items (we'll just sleeve what players own at the time.)

There are some frustrating things about this box, even now. If you take the 17 character tuckboxes out, take out the insert, rotate the stack 90 degrees and put them back in the box, they satisfactorily span the short edge of the box. BUT, the square space left over is not big enough for the world map, so you have to fill that entire void with stuff at a reasonable level, then put in the world map, then fill the rectangular space in the rest of the box.

I really don't like Gloohaven's component material. Cthulhu Wars uses the same stuff and it's super soft and mars incredibly easily. Plus it always feels weird and dusty on the hands.

Otherwise, huge box, lots of components confirmed. Rule set is a little too complex and fiddly tho; it probably won't make it to the table at all for one of my groups, won't make it back for the other but one group may get into it. They didn't like MYTH tho and this feels really similar.

• JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
        A wee update. Riot are sending me a new box and command line asap. Top notch on that account. They said they cannot replace the trays though. Which seems a bit odd.

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
        Hey all, still trying to downsize my collection to make room for newer shit. Let me know if there's anything you like.

• HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
        I also got Gloomhaven yesterday. Luckily no issues with the packaging. Holy shit this box is huge. I'm probably going to end up doing most of it solo cause I don't think my weekly group is up for a campaign like this but still.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
      • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
        I really don't like Gloohaven's component material. Cthulhu Wars uses the same stuff and it's super soft and mars incredibly easily. Plus it always feels weird and dusty on the hands.

Otherwise, huge box, lots of components confirmed. Rule set is a little too complex and fiddly tho; it probably won't make it to the table at all for one of my groups, won't make it back for the other but one group may get into it. They didn't like MYTH tho and this feels really similar.

PVC plastic sucks.

admanb wrote: »

PVC plastic sucks.

Buh? I mean the cardboard. PVC plastic is just fine.

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
        Add me to the Gloomhaven bandwagon. I punched all the chits and have them sorted into four non-plano boxes with the monsters all labeled for easy finding. Zero hope of that fitting in the box with the rest of it but I also have all of Arkham Horror in my closet with the large cards in tuckboxes, small cards in trays, and chits sorted in boxes. That consumes the space of 4.5 or so of the large AH expansion boxes (3 + a stack of cases), so I'm well used to having a game comprised of a pile. Hell, Agricola is a box + a plano box as large as the game box.

What do people do with big tiles like Gloomhaven has? I have had the same issue with Mansions of Madness and Descent. Cardboard bits in non-uniform sizes and shapes are awesome aesthetically but drive me bonkers for storage. Maybe I can take out some of the inserts and store them upright in the giant box...

More excitingly, I actually get to play it on the 12th. With other people, even!

Recently started SeaFall. We only played the prologue our first time and promptly said, "No, fuck you" to
        tearing up your starting leader cards because that seems just stupid and there's already a really limited variety of non-white-people.

I fear that game is not going to reach its conclusion. Started it with the same folks with whom I played Pandemic: Legacy and I don't think it's some of their style at all.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
      • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

I really didn't find it to be that weird a rule-set. I did have to check as to exactly how you're expected to choose your initiative number (put that card on top) and noticed we'd messed up element creation when I was looking through the FAQ over at BGG but basically the game worked how I thought it would.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• CantideCantide Registered User regular
        Add me to the Gloomhaven bandwagon. I punched all the chits and have them sorted into four non-plano boxes with the monsters all labeled for easy finding. Zero hope of that fitting in the box with the rest of it but I also have all of Arkham Horror in my closet with the large cards in tuckboxes, small cards in trays, and chits sorted in boxes. That consumes the space of 4.5 or so of the large AH expansion boxes (3 + a stack of cases), so I'm well used to having a game comprised of a pile. Hell, Agricola is a box + a plano box as large as the game box.

What do people do with big tiles like Gloomhaven has? I have had the same issue with Mansions of Madness and Descent. Cardboard bits in non-uniform sizes and shapes are awesome aesthetically but drive me bonkers for storage. Maybe I can take out some of the inserts and store them upright in the giant box...

More excitingly, I actually get to play it on the 12th. With other people, even!

Recently started SeaFall. We only played the prologue our first time and promptly said, "No, fuck you" to
        tearing up your starting leader cards because that seems just stupid and there's already a really limited variety of non-white-people.

I fear that game is not going to reach its conclusion. Started it with the same folks with whom I played Pandemic: Legacy and I don't think it's some of their style at all.

Seafall Prologue spoiler:
        We did the exact same thing. We'd chosen pretty much the only cards that weren't generic white dudes, and while I respected the twist, none of us wanted to actually give up our leaders. We compromised by each choosing and destroying a generic white dude as a sacrifice.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
        Yeah, I would probably have done the same. That's a ridiculous idea. I'm guessing it's only in there for the shock value and introduce destruction.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
        Tabletop episodes have started appearing on YouTube again after the Alpha-exclusive interruption.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOYBLalI1YM&t=0s

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
        Bogart wrote: »
        Tabletop episodes have started appearing on YouTube again after the Alpha-exclusive interruption.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOYBLalI1YM&t=0s

I'd never even heard of this game, but the mechanics seem pretty interesting. Though I'm not entirely sure of the benefit of improving the land unless it goes your goal, but they seemed to do it quite often.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
      • antheremantherem Registered User regular
        Played the first scenario of Gloomhaven. Excited to play again. I love the combat/exhaustion system (though I can see it being not much fun to sit around if you're playing a character that burns out their deck quickly.)

First scenario spoiler:
        Screw Living Bones, though.

• Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
        ChaosHat wrote: »
        Hey all, still trying to downsize my collection to make room for newer shit. Let me know if there's anything you like.

Your post got me wandering. Is there any way to filter board game geek trades by location? Every time I look for a game that I want and find someone who wants something I have to trade, the person is always in Europe. I really don't want to ship heavy board games overseas. It would be great if I could just search 25 miles from my house and just meet someone halfway.

NNID = Zepp914
      • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
        Everyone needs to stop being so positive about Gloomhaven, I was hoping it would be rubbish so I wouldn't need to buy it.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
        Everyone needs to stop being so positive about Gloomhaven, I was hoping it would be rubbish so I wouldn't need to buy it.

If it makes you feel better, I got wrecked in my test run. Details in spoilers, but I didn't go hard at it and it ended badly.
        Me on Cragheart, girlfriend on the pinwheel symbol wizard. The stupid guards drew their shield + retaliate and shield + attack cards almost exclusively and took forever to down; we ran out of cards.

We'd skipped equipment since it was just a test run, but I don't think it made that big a difference. Just poor luck.

Cragheart plays a lot like a City of Heroes Dominator, which is pretty cool.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• antheremantherem Registered User regular
        Auralynx wrote: »

If it makes you feel better, I got wrecked in my test run. Details in spoilers, but I didn't go hard at it and it ended badly.
        Me on Cragheart, girlfriend on the pinwheel symbol wizard. The stupid guards drew their shield + retaliate and shield + attack cards almost exclusively and took forever to down; we ran out of cards.

We'd skipped equipment since it was just a test run, but I don't think it made that big a difference. Just poor luck.

Cragheart plays a lot like a City of Heroes Dominator, which is pretty cool.
        Yeah, running out of cards is a serious problem for plant wizard, and Shield is really brutal at level 1 when you're not doing all that much damage to begin with. Not to mention the stuff later in that scenario that has self-heal 25% of the time.
        Equipment is okay but it's mostly one-shots. Stamina potions are way more powerful than I originally thought.
        Remember that you can use the "attack 2" or "move 2" basic abilities without losing cards, if you're just trying to clear out trash.