As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - The Fear Engine

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited February 2017 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - The Fear Engine

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• The Ninth GuardianThe Ninth Guardian Registered User regular
    Did somebody say, "fear engine"?
    https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/04/10

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    RE7 is very much like the first three games. It does start out scary, but it doesn't really last the whole game. You start out like Ripley in Alien, but by the end you're Ripley from Aliens.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • bartmaniambartmaniam Registered User regular
    What is the "regular way" of trying this game in VR?

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I think "regular way" means he's not going to play it in non-VR either

like on a TV through a console

KalTorak on
  • GDT1985GDT1985 Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    RE7 is very much like the first three games. It does start out scary, but it doesn't really last the whole game. You start out like Ripley in Alien, but by the end you're Ripley from Aliens.

I think that is true of all horror games. Once you know the game's tricks it isn't as scary. Even so, I don't usually play horror games because they cause an uncomfortable level of tension. Not really fear, just a level of stress that makes the experience less fun. I guess I tend to get absorbed into video games. I have no problem with something like RE4 or the REmake, but I couldn't finish P.T. for example.

• sawellssawells Registered User regular
    During the most recent PAX, someone had Jerry do an in-character reading of the "hope you like text..." script with the "fear engine" in it. Guess that's why it's on his mind.

Twitter: @EssayWells
  • TrygylTrygyl Registered User regular
    Don't suppose there's a video of that, Sawells? That sounds bloody awesome.

• GDT1985GDT1985 Registered User regular
    It is on the PAX twitch. I think it was Q&A 1 but maybe it was number 2.

• ZenthereZenthere Registered User regular
    From the news article, which twitch stream had the hot sauce?

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Did somebody say, "fear engine"?
    https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/04/10

That comic gave birth to possibly my favorite PA guild name to this date. Sometimes I miss WAR.

• bruceskibruceski Registered User regular
    I watched some streams of RE7. A bit too much grossness for my tastes, but kudos to them for finding a way to dial it back to the more personal level of the older games without feeling like they were losing something.

WoW - Baelgun server
    Beohrn, 70 tauren druid
    random alts.

Wii number -- 0277 0746 9561 0171
    --Metroid Prime 3
  • sawellssawells Registered User regular
    If you haven't already, watch ALL the PA Q and As on the PAX twitch channel. Also all the Acq Inc. And all the make-a-strip.

Also, when Jerry puts up the "submit questions" link, you should absolutely submit questions. I've put in a bunch that they've used at the last few PAXes. You too can enjoy making our favourite creators dance for our amusement like puppets.

Twitter: @EssayWells
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Only seen some vids of the first 30 minutes of gameplay so far. Man oh man... I got used to being able to fight back in Resident Evil. I remember game 1 where you started with a lockpick and a knife, but by 5-6 you get a machine gun and a dozen hand grenades. 30 zombies and a giant snake in a burning city is just not a problem. Whatever you run into, it's made of science and enough bullets will kill it.

Now you're in hillbilly deathtrap manor and they give you a flashlight. I actually think it's cool that things are dialed down, but I feel like I do with Silent Hill - you can sort've swipe ineffectively at the evil, but it's timeless and deep and guns aren't going to save you.

H9f4bVe.png