As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Age of Rebellion PbP] Perlemian Haul OOC Discussion

• The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    So I pick a 5 pt, then a 10 pt, then a 15 pt, then the 15pt next to it, then the 10 pt above it?
    X
    |
    X  X
    |  |
    X--X

That would be correct, yes.

Just waiting for a couple more submissions and we can we can start.

It's all looking good so far guys!

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    P41-N3 is a concept I had for a one shot of Edge of the Empire, but sadly never got to be taken out for a test run.

Appearance
    He looks something like this (if its ok to have my weapon built in) https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B02CyHj7qOOYZWNQODhLeHZ2Rkk/view?usp=sharing

History
    Abbreviated, as I have to run to work. Was a mining droid in a penal colony. Instead of regular maintenance, they just bought new models as the old ones wore down, rotating the older ones out further and further into the dangerous parts of the mines. There was a tunnel collapse which damaged his restraining bolt and led to a messy escape/revolt. Having never personally been outside of the mines, some of the escapees led him to the Rebellion where his heavy frame and knowledge of demolitions made him a combat asset.

Damn!

*Mental note to self -increase difficulty of all rolls from group for matters regarding 'Subtlety'.*

• DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Okay I'm thinking I might go with a medic of some kind. Or maybe a scientist with a little bit of medicine training? Probably human. Sorry I'm being so slow on this guys.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    "Its a mining laser, I promise."

This is even more amusing considering one of the Hunchback variant's nicknames... The Deathstar.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain

This is even more amusing considering one of the Hunchback variant's nicknames... The Deathstar.

This I was unaware of. I cant fit 9 energy weapons into my characters hardpoints though. Or can I?

Moridin889 wrote: »

This I was unaware of. I cant fit 9 energy weapons into my characters hardpoints though. Or can I?

I think it's from MWO where firing all 9 medium lasers at the same target was reminiscent of the deathstar firing.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

Denada wrote: »
    Okay I'm thinking I might go with a medic of some kind. Or maybe a scientist with a little bit of medicine training? Probably human. Sorry I'm being so slow on this guys.

Sounds good!

I'm happy for Character Creation/Discussion to go on for another day or two. I'll say we should aim to have started by the time we hit the weekend. If you've already decided on your character concept, feel free to discuss it. Those who are already done are encouraged to flesh out their backstories more, particularly on how they ended up with the rebellion and how they know the other members of the party.

• El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Oren could quite easily know @discrider 's squad leader already. Maybe Oren trained with him, and there could be strong feelings one way or the other on Oren's readiness to join the fight.

There could easily be feelings of protectiveness, or mentorship, or just general misgivings there that could be fun to play with...

So, been working on character backstory, and here with go:
    As an Alderaanian in the Imperial military Soren Igdjyll was something of an anomaly. But considering the way his parents' trade agreements had flourished under the humanocentric policies, it certainly made sense. Besides, he was in training to be a political officer, not some dirty stormtrooper. And he was good at it to. Until the morning he received notice that Alderaan had been "censured" by Grand Moff Tarkin. It came with a nice little note about how the Empire was sorry for the loss of his family, who had shown strong Imperial loyalty, but that sacrifices must be made for the stability of the galaxy and blah blah blah.

As the burning rage for a government that would condone such an act filled him, Soren also realized he was in serious danger. Being trained to watch personnel for the slightest crack in their devotion to the Empire, he was surrounded by some of the most observant men and women in the empire. If he wanted to live long enough to achieve revenge, he would need to leave quickly. Requesting sabbatical to mourn the loss of his family, Soren chartered the first civilian ship out, followed by a considerable sum spent putting as much distance between him and the Empire as possible.

During this time he reached out to the Rebellion, offering his services, hoping to make himself an instrumental part of the machinations to destroy the Empire that murdered his family. Unfortunately, the Rebellion had some reservations about taking an ex-Imperial officer (almost officer, but they don't need to know that) at face value. Because of that, Soren has been relegated to small odd jobs and recruitment, things to test his loyalty, and his skill.

If anyone wants to say we've worked together, or maybe just been on the same transport, and so we know each other a little, I'm totally fine with it.

I'm getting there! I'm torn between a promising human medical student from Coruscant, son of a wealthy Empire-supporting family, who fell in love with a Bothan spy and was sucked into a world that cast the Empire in a very different light than what his sheltered upbringing had previously shown him. Now he sees how bigoted his family was (is), and how much harm the Empire has done, and wants to do what he can to right the wrongs that he feels somewhat complicit in.

or

A quirky astromech droid with a knack for jury-rigging. This knack isn't just for ships and equipment, though. His questionable medical "upgrades" give him the ability to keep his people up and running in the field as well. He sees everyone and everything as a series of schematics that can be tweaked, repaired, reconfigured, or upgraded as the need arises.

I personally quite like the medical student from Coruscant, there's plenty of potential character development in there.

It's entirely up to yourself, of course.

Yeah I'm leaning that way myself. I'm connecting with it more, we already have a droid in the party, and it gives you plenty of fun hooks.

Alright, medical student it is.

Since I've never made a character in this system before, any pitfalls to watch out for? My understanding is that there aren't really trap choices per se, but what are the common rookie mistakes?

The biggest thing you need to know at this juncture is that Character Creation is the only time you can use XP to boost your core attributes. After that, those stat are fixed. Everything else can be acquired/improved with XP earned on the adventure. So it may seem a little boring to spend most of your XP on those instead of customizing your character, but it is the optimal way to do things. You can get smarter by reading books or stronger by hitting the gym, but you're only born once.

Beyond that, my advice would be to work out how you want to play your character and focus on just a few skills. If your character is a veteran X-Wing pilot, improving your Piloting (Space) any chance you get means you're going to be able to pull some insane moves when it counts, Poe Style. Having an established THING in the group is always super satisfying when a skill check comes up and everyone else is only able to roll a couple of D8s, then you say 'I GOT THIS' and roll a couple of D8s AND a few D12s for good measure.

Beyond that, I've got no real advice except create the character you want to play. I don't really know of any major pitfalls as such, I've never had someone re-roll because they 'made the character wrong'.

Yeah I'm leaning that way myself. I'm connecting with it more, we already have a droid in the party, and it gives you plenty of fun hooks.

Since I've never made a character in this system before, any pitfalls to watch out for? My understanding is that there aren't really trap choices per se, but what are the common rookie mistakes?

The rule of cool.

Stats determine number of dice, skill upgrades the dice (d8 to d12)

The dice aid narration and even failing can be useful. No real character traps outside of not boosting stats during character creation. Boost them as much as possible. Cybernetics are pretty much the only way to boost them otherwise (Expensive and rare)

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Moridin889 wrote: »

The rule of cool.

Stats determine number of dice, skill upgrades the dice (d8 to d12)

The dice aid narration and even failing can be useful. No real character traps outside of not boosting stats during character creation. Boost them as much as possible. Cybernetics are pretty much the only way to boost them otherwise (Expensive and rare)

Well that and getting to the end of a skill tree to get the +stat skill.

El Skid wrote: »
    Oren could quite easily know @discrider 's squad leader already. Maybe Oren trained with him, and there could be strong feelings one way or the other on Oren's readiness to join the fight.

There could easily be feelings of protectiveness, or mentorship, or just general misgivings there that could be fun to play with...

Hmm..

Hard to say.

Brot was originally taken from his home planet by the Empire, so the only people he'd really have rubbed up against are Mon Calamari (or visitors), Imperial types of some description, or rebels since the destruction of the death star.

Given that, Oren is unlikely to know Brot as a squad leader, at least formally.
    I mean Brot has the propensity for such a job, but won't easily accept full responsibility for the lives of others once more.

All said, Oren likely just sees in Brot another orphan of the Empire.
    Although Brot's parents aren't dead, as far as he knows, just detained on the home world with the rest of his race.
    That sort of makes the two family.

But given the two's motivations (Honor vs. Revenge), they both understand each other's losses, but react to the same quite differently.

I would assume that Oren and Brot have trained together in the Rebellion and got to know each other, if only because then it explains why they're on the same mission right now.

Soren has probably tried to at least meet everyone on whichever base he is stationed. As a trained PO it is his duty to make sure that all military personnel are sound of spirit and of mind. I think under Imperial protocol, this was a much more sterile, watching people and looking for tells sort of arrangement, which always felt sort of strangling. Under the Rebellion, Soren would be free to get to know his compatriots, and connect with them, which he feels will make his assessments easier to manage. So maybe he's joined some of the party for a drink, or gone to the range with them, but he's probably at least tried talking to most of you.

I think maybe I'll switch my Duty to Internal Security. I'm not sure how specifically Duty works, but I think it'll be more interesting if everyone has different ones, and Internal Security still fits my characters story.

I think maybe I'll switch my Duty to Internal Security. I'm not sure how specifically Duty works, but I think it'll be more interesting if everyone has different ones, and Internal Security still fits my characters story.

Mine is Sabotage, so when I find an opportunity to sabotage the empire (normally by blowing up or destroying things) I get duty. Cal has Personnel, they want to recruit more folks into the Rebellion. Internal Security would be making sure that everyone is on the up and up and not going to betray us to the Empire. They are built in story hooks for the GM and when we increase our total group duty over 100 we all get free stuff (an item of our choice)and reset. So if two people had Personnel and we recruit a doctor, both of theirs would go up (if they participated)

I thought that was recruit, and that Personnel was maintaining the people of the Rebellion physically and emotionally.

Yeah Recruiting is getting new people. Personnel is making sure everyone stays alive. That seemed the obvious choice for my medic.

Duty (and Motivation) are also worth keeping in mind as your adherence to following them will form the basis of XP I award you (on top of what you'd usually receive through combat/periodic installments). Duty in particular is important to tally as the more you have (and the more often you guys pass the 100 threshold) the closer you are to receiving accolades from the Rebel Alliance, but on top of THAT how recognizable you are to the Empire. You start out as a bunch of nobodies (who still need to be blasted because rebel scum!) but the more Duty you accrue, and the more you are respected and praised by the Rebellion, the further up the Empires hit list you go. There's a very real difference in the kind of resistance you'd receive between 'Rebels are attacking the base!' and 'THOSE Rebels are attacking the base!'.

As we all seem to be in a good place, I'll set up the first post tomorrow. In the meantime, a quick primer on the dice. In the second post of this thread I have given a brief rundown of the dice, but I'll give you guys a couple of examples for context.

To roll the dice on this forum, you need to ask Geth to roll 1eX, where '1' is the number of this type of dice to roll, 'e' is simply a stand in for the game (Edge of the Empire originally), and 'X' is always the first letter (Capital) of the type of Dice.

Geth roll 2eA+2eD

For any task that requires a roll, there will always be a challenge. This is normally accounted for by means of the Difficulty Dice, with the number thrown in increasing with the difficulty of the challenge, ranging from 1 for an 'Easy' challenge, up to 5 for a 'formidable' challenge. In cases of extreme difficulty, such as fighting a foe who poses a serious threat, these may be accompanied/replaced by red challenge dice, which present higher odds of failure. I will always let you know what difficulty you face, and if you look at your character sheets you'll notice that they tell you next to each skill how many of your own dice you should roll in these circumstances.

For a full example, I want to climb over a wall. I would check this against my Athletics (Br) skill. I have a Brawn rating of 4 and this skills rating has been improved by 1. Overall, I would roll 1 Proficiency Dice and 3 Ability (4 Ability, with 1 dice upgraded due to skill training of 1). The wall is about head height, so the GM is giving it an Average difficulty rating (2 Difficulty).

Geth roll 1eP+3eA+2eD

The difficulty of these can then further be modified by Boost or Setback die, which represent conditions that might effect the overall action (often weather or firefight conditions).

So now I want to climb the same wall, but the reason I want to is that I have been spotted by a group of stormtroopers who are giving chase. The GM has advised me that I have to add 1 Setback dice to the pool, as I am being fired upon by the stormtroopers, making my climb a little more hazardous. I make a plea to the GM that I should be allowed a boost dice too, as I was running at full speed and so am making a run and jump climb, rather than a standing jump, and I feel this should work in my favour. The GM allows this.

Geth roll 1eP+3eA+2eD+1eB+1eS

2eA+2eD 2 failures, 2 advantage [2eA=A, A/A] [2eD=Th, F/F]
    1eP+3eA+2eD 1 success, 3 advantage [1eP=A] [3eA=S, A/A, A] [2eD=-, Th]
    1eP+3eA+2eD+1eB+1eS 1 failure, 5 advantage [1eP=S] [3eA=A, A, A/A] [2eD=F, F/Th] [1eB=A/A] [1eS=-]

So for example 1, I failed, but this worked to my advantage. So lets say, uhh, I fail to make the climb, but now I found an easier way to climb again next time? (this is a poor example).

Example 2, I outright succeeded with some advantage. I scale the wall, and also notice in the distance something that might help out. (again, poor example).

Example 3, I have still failed, but I have gained quite a lot of advantage from this? Perhaps I fail to grab the top of the wall, but to my benefit one of the stormtroopers accidentally hits a loose fixture above me, which falls and gives me a few seconds of cover to find a new escape route.

I kinda picked a pretty bad example but I hope that kinda shows how this works.

edited February 2017
    It is probably worth considering how we handle constructing the dice pool too.

In the PbP game that I played in previously, we did not wait on the DM to figure out the difficulty dice.
    Rather we constructed our own dice pools based on what we thought was the expected difficulty for the action we wanted to perform and then rolled the pool.
    If the DM wanted to change this, then we modified the pool after their advice and rerolled

Pros: Kept game moving
    Cons: Hard for the DM to influence action if they want to flip destiny or adjust the dice pool, but multiple players have built off the successful/unsuccessful prior actions before the DM got a post in edgeways.

discrider on
    While I understand what you're saying in regards to keeping the game moving, I'd much rather you guys call the skillcheck, I then advise of the difficulty, then you roll and expand on what happens.

The reason why is that there are many situations where, as you said, I may decide to use a Destiny point, or I may need to adjust difficulty for reason that I may know that you guys don't (yet). We'll be starting with an adventure module with set difficulties on various checks for plot reasons, which may be different to what you'd expect. If we make it beyond that I'm generally the kind of GM to just prep encounters and see where the players want to take things. In such situations its likely that I may come up with things on the fly that, again, you might not necessarily expect that I'm going for due to plot/circumstances.

I personally think it would be better if we carried on in such a way that I second-guess you guys much less, even if it does take a little longer. The time it takes for me to decide the difficulty of a roll is a lot shorter than the time it takes for a player to roll, make a post about the consequences of that roll, have me add difficulty after, change the outcome of the roll, and then the player write a new post about the new turn of events.

If things don't work out the way I have in mind, with the agreement of the players I'll change my methods.

Yep, fair enough.

edited February 2017
    @Denada @Brody @discrider @Moridin889 @El Skid the IC thread can now be found Here

This thread will be kept for general discussion, questions and dicerolls.

Geth roll 1d100 for Reasons

Geth roll 5eF for Destiny Points

To clarify, Destiny points are a sort of magic bullet. Lightside points can be used by a member of the party, Darkside points can only be used by the GM. When the players use a lightside point, it will then flip over to a darkside point for the GM to use, and vice versa. The most common use for this is to say, turn an ability dice into a proficiency dice. They can also be used almost like a deus ex machina, the players can use them to insert 'facts' into the narrative in their favor. These will be allowed as long as they are sensible. For example, you come across a room full of poison gas you need to pass through. A player could use a destiny point to say 'Good thing my backpack comes outfitted with breathing apparatus for times like this!' and it is so.

Reasons:
    1d100 85 [1d100=85]
    Destiny Points:
    5eF 5 Light Side, 2 Dark Side [5eF=DS, LS, LS/LS, LS/LS, DS]

The Brayster on
    Just to make sure, I am changing my Duty to Internal Security. I'll update my sheet once I get to the office.

Should we assume were had time to come up with a cover story? I'm thinking fake mechanical failure?

Well I mean if its a mining colony/station, why not say we're planning to head down that way?

edited February 2017
    Don't we already have one?
    "Command wrote:
    I have arranged for transport to get you to the station, along with forged ID that should hold up under what is reported to be quite lax scrutiny from station officials. Your target is Freighter M226. You are to infiltrate the station under the guise of imperial merchants and commandeer the vessel and its cargo

discrider on
    Listen guys, I can start charting them up, but I'm literally the worst possible person to do so.

Aka, tomorrow before work I'm talking to them if nobody else does

I am also not a great speaker (1 Cunning).
    I was thinking Soren/Brody would be best placed to do it.

• El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Hha yeah, definitely don't look at me!

I'm gonna come out and say that you can take it in good faith that I'm not gonna wreck you with a difficult roll as the very first thing you do. Remember, you have fake ID set up and security at the station is reported to be relaxed.

Sorry, I just played with a couple of guys in college that would railroad everyone, so I'm always worried about forcing everyone to follow something.

I'm very much a "go with it" kind of player so feel free to take the lead whenever you feel like it! It also helps with PbP games to just keep things moving.

Paask runs a shop called 'Passk's Oddities'. Tracking this place down will require and Easy (1 Difficulty Dice) Streetwise or Knowledge (Underworld) check, or an Average (2 difficulty dice) Knowledge (Outer Rim) check.