As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BattleTech] The Clan Wait-vasion

• Khade97Khade97 PE10, UKRegistered User regular
    Has there been any word regarding the Battletech beta from HBS? I know the game was (and hopefully still is) scheduled for May - so I would assume closed beta would be starting in the not too distant future?

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Not that I can see. Nothing saying the beta's either on time or delayed.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    @Khade97 I can't say off-hand but Feb 8 there will be a live Dev Q&A on HyperRPG. If you can't catch it (usually around 3pm eastern) then HyperRPG will upload it to their YouTube channel the next day or so. Here's the last Q&A from January 11:

https://youtu.be/mXknQvDtyJM

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Ianator wrote: »
    Not that I can see. Nothing saying the beta's either on time or delayed.

Yeah, I think they said they were specifically avoiding giving a date for Beta because of the tendency for people to Chicken Little if it slips even a little bit

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    OH HEY SPEAKING OF BETA DATES
    Greetings MechWarriors!
    Klimecky here. We have good news for you - we're targeting March 15th as our Beta launch date. (As you'll recall, Beta access was a Kickstarter Reward for all Backers at the $50 MechWarrior Tier and above). The team has been hard at work getting the game in shape and we’re almost ready for you to take a test drive.
    Now, I bet you have a few questions… well, your friendly, neighborhood BATTLETECH Producer is here to fill you in with a FAQ that should answer your most pressing questions right away. As we get closer to our target date, I’ll update you with any final details you may need to be an effective Beta participant.
    After you get caught up on the Beta news, scroll down to learn about our latest digital reward delivery for Backers at the $50 MechWarrior reward level - the first in a series of four novellas by the legendary Michael A. Stackpole. Then keep scrolling to see the sweet new merch AVAILABLE NOW at battletechgear.com!
    It’s about to get real - so strap in!
    Chris Klimecky
    Sr. Producer

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I was in the process of copying and pasting that exact news.

They do say later in the message that the date might slip, but it will be live for 2 months. Also prepare to be blasted with tons of screenshots since they said no NDA and they approve screenshots and videos.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Fuuuuuuuck yes.
    What will the Backer Beta include?

As outlined in our Kickstarter Campaign, the Backer Beta will feature 1v1 multiplayer and single-player Skirmish play.

So, the weekend of March 18, the first inaugural Oosik Irregulars BattleTech Skirmish Bash Tournament?

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Nips wrote: »
    Fuuuuuuuck yes.
    What will the Backer Beta include?

As outlined in our Kickstarter Campaign, the Backer Beta will feature 1v1 multiplayer and single-player Skirmish play.

So, the weekend of March 18, the first inaugural Oosik Irregulars BattleTech Skirmish Bash Tournament?

Sounds like a plan.

oosik_betsuni.png

BATTLETECH Q&A stream starting shortly

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    @Nips How about a Stream where you command a Lance of Oosiks, and the Oosiks are in chat telling you what moves they want to make/weapons fired

3basnids3lf9.jpg

@Nips at 1pm Pacific Viking Lass will be on her stream painting mechs. This week she's painting a Warhammer!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Watching DFA is a blast. I don't care if things are not strictly RAW, but seeing Sokolov's Jenner kill mechs is always hilarious.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
    Hope this doesn't break any rules... I don't think it does but if it is a grey area I can wipe the post.

A (long) while back I believe Microsoft had MechCommander available for free and I was thinking of giving it another spin whilst waiting for Battletech to drop. Unfortunately all the MS links seem to be dead, and the only downloads I can find do not fill me with confidence. Did MS infact offer it for free or did I imagine that, and if they did does anyone have a trustworthy download link?

I thinking I'm going to take off March 14-March 21

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Khade97 wrote: »
    Hope this doesn't break any rules... I don't think it does but if it is a grey area I can wipe the post.

A (long) while back I believe Microsoft had MechCommander available for free and I was thinking of giving it another spin whilst waiting for Battletech to drop. Unfortunately all the MS links seem to be dead, and the only downloads I can find do not fill me with confidence. Did MS infact offer it for free or did I imagine that, and if they did does anyone have a trustworthy download link?

Head over to Sarna.net, and look for MechCommander Gold. You should be able to grab it from there.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Yeah, but for old print RPGs. They've been around a while.

Nips wrote: »
    Yeah, but for old print RPGs. They've been around a while.

Cool picked them all up then. If anything will be a fun read.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Don't know if it's been mentioned, but there's a new wave of merch up at Battletech Gear.
    https://battletechgear.com/

If they get enough preorders, there's an Atlas themed stein, and a coaster set so you don't leave rings when you leave your stein on the table.

see317 wrote: »
    Don't know if it's been mentioned, but there's a new wave of merch up at Battletech Gear.
    https://battletechgear.com/

If they get enough preorders, there's an Atlas themed stein, and a coaster set so you don't leave rings when you leave your stein on the table.

Tomorrow's the last day and the shipping is a gut punch for my Prime accustomed wallet, but these were just too good to pass up.

I'll have a Stein to drink out of Friday nights during DFA and while playing Battletech with the Oosiks

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Greetings MechWarriors! Klimecky back again with important news about our Backer Beta. A series of unfortunate events prevents us from hitting our target release date and, as promised in our last update, we’re letting you know as far in advance as we can. This change may come as a surprise, given it’s only a few weeks after announcing the target release date but sometimes game development throws us curve balls at just the wrong moment. As a wise man once said, “Shit happens.”

Developers are constantly weighing risks vs rewards during a project, often with incomplete information. In this case we made two big decisions in the leadup to Beta and both turned out to have a bigger impact on the project than we planned for. Here’s what happened:

-Our development infrastructure desperately needed an upgrade but the fixes caused lots of short-term headaches. HBS has a history of “toughing it out” and working with sub-optimal back-end tools because we want as much development time as possible to be spent on game features and fun. Eventually however, a system becomes too painful to use and we bite the bullet and pay the development price. In this case, we had two vital systems that required improvement for the Backer Beta, so we decided to “tear off the bandage”, hire a professional IT contractor, and get all the work done at once so our engineers could stay focused on the game.

Unfortunately, the infrastructure upgrade process caused several issues including delays in getting new versions of the game built. This consumed time from our Lead Engineer, our Test Lead, and myself. Without the ability to test our work in new “builds” of the game, progress slowed. It has taken the better part of 3 weeks to get back on track, but we finally feel like we've cleared the hurdle.

-An upgrade to the latest version of Unity brought the game editor to its knees. Unity is the game engine we build BATTLETECH on top of and when the company updates its software, game developers need to take a hard look before deciding to take the plunge and install it. In this case, we determined that the update was required for beta because it contained performance optimizations that would greatly improve the gameplay experience for nearly all our participants and for some, make the game playable at all on their machines.

Now, we know from experience that whenever you update major software in the middle of development things WILL break, so we diligently planned time for integration and bug fixing. Unfortunately, while the upgrade succeeded in improving the game’s performance, the changes in Unity broke a lot more of our systems than anticipated - with these consequences proving more time-consuming to troubleshoot and address than any other Unity upgrade we’ve done in the past (including on previous projects). We were relieved to learn that at 2:30am this morning, our engineering and technical art team removed the final productivity sink and were able to start our Monday with a solid infrastructure and performant game editor.

As you can imagine, it’s been a frustrating few weeks in the studio. The entire project slowed dramatically just as we were attempting to hit the gas for the final weeks until Beta launch. The team continued to push as hard as they could, refusing to give up on our March 15th target date, but the slowdowns and instability were punishing. The leadership group decided to step back and take a good, hard look at the situation. We decided it was best to stop the crunch and focus on finishing the infrastructure and editor work before reviewing our quality level and reassessing the target date for the Backer Beta.

Now that our technical issues are behind us, the team is focused on quality and on delivering an experience that shows the world why HBS loves BattleTech and why everyone else should, too. As soon as we have a new target date that we can confidently announce, we’ll send out another update. We are dedicated to delivering a great Backer Beta, even if that means taking a little longer with it.

Regarding the final release date for BATTLETECH: As noted during our livestreamed dev Q&As and on our forums, once we unlocked all of our Kickstarter stretch goals, our estimated release date of May was no longer valid. Way back then we said things like "Summer 2017.” Now that we're further along, we're targeting a Late Summer / Fall release of the game - but we won't be announcing a more exact release date until we're much closer in!

Again, we deeply appreciate your support for the project.
    -- Chris Klimecky, Sr. Producer

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    So, I've been tinkering with ideas for a large-ish mercenary unit wandering the deep periphery. Not really sure what time period this would be in (mainly either SW era, pre-invasion but post SL-tech recovery, or for a far-out idea, Raven Alliance pulling a Wolf's Dragoons covert op during the Dark Age to see what's out there), so I've been trying to keep things vague so far, but I'd like to ask you guys for suggestions that might help me pick an era. Mainly though, I'm looking for specific mech & vehicle suggestions to fill certain roles.

At its heart, is a trio of Invader jumpships with a trio of Fortress class dropships & a trio of Leopard CVs, to transport a combined-arms regiment with one battalion each of mechs, mechanized infantry, and ASF's. As I understand it, the tabletop rules have mechanized infantry using <=5 ton vehicles which don't need to be accounted for on their own, but the Stryker, Bradley, M113, and MRAPs are all well over that limit and I want my guys in proper APC's or IFV's, so I'm using the Fortress' combat vehicle bay for their rides. The bonus here is the three Fortress' give the unit a trio of Long Toms for artillery. The remaining dropship hardpoints on the Invaders would be used for one ASF carrier to hang back and protect the jumpships (probably just another Leopard CV, but if possible without feeling too Mary-Sue, I'd like it to be something with a bigger complement or scarier arsenal), and two Mammoth-class cargo-hauling dropships to carry extra supplies for the whole force (one for the ground force, one for the flotilla).

The 9 lances of mechs would be organized in a non-standard fashion; 2x four-lance companies (a line with a reserve), and a command lance. I've already picked out what I'd want the command lance to use in any given era, but I'm having a hard time with the companies.

Able company would be a skirmisher/recon unit with big lights or fast mediums. They should have at least one ECM and active probe per lance, at least 6/9 speed (preferably 7/11 or better if post-tech recovery), & I'd prefer them to have jump jets. Weapon-wise I'd want them to focus on direct engagement energy weapons, with some LRMs so they can fire from cover.

Baker company would be a battle-line, anywhere from big mediums to fast assaults for the armor. Speed-wise I'm looking for 5/8's, or 4/6's with mobility options (ie MASC or JJ's). I don't want units maneuvering individually too far from the lance, so any jump jet user needs at least one other mech to be able to follow them. I want at least two of each lance to be trooper types focused on two-stage long & mid-short range combat, with one close-quarters brawler or high-alpha hitter for deterrence &/or clean-up. I'd like each lance to also have good anti-air weapons & LRMs for fire support (one of these profiles will need to be split across the twins as a tertiary weapon similar to a Thunderbolts' LRMs or Marauder's light AC). For an example that covers the kind of weaponry but not so much the other goals:
    • Thunderbolt (trooper with indirect fire support)
    • Thunderbolt (trooper with indirect fire support)
    • Rifleman (AA fire support)
    • Hunchback (CQC finisher)

In general, I'd like each lance to use as few different mechs as possible (so bonus points if you can fill out a lance with multiple variants of the same mech). Also, every lance should have at least one TAG for those Long Toms.

I've never played Aerotech, so I'm completely out of my depth on picking ASF's, but I want to use a good multi-role Strike fighter (something that is more than capable of holding its own in air-to-air to deny enemy air support, but which can also provide air support to friendly ground troops). I also want an electronics warfare fighter, ideally as a variant to the strike fighter.

And if you have a suggestion for a good canonical infantry fighting vehicle to transport 6-8 man squads, I'm all ears.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    edited March 2017
    Cross-posted from the painting thread. To hold me over until the Battletech Beta I decided to paint up a few Mechs, so I am happy to present 3/4 of my first lance.

GRF-1S Griffin, Medium Class BattleMech (L)
    BNC-3S Banshee, Assault Class BattleMech (C)
    WHM-6K Warhammer, Heavy Class BattleMech (R)

201703%20-%20Banshee%20Warhammer%20Griffin_zpsinyfvc9w.jpg

(The missing 'Mech is a Catapult which I hope to get done tonight)

Khade97 on
    Those are so good I had to awesome them twice (once here and once there). Are these the IK casts or someone elses?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I want to buy those.

What is this I don't even.
    They use the MWO in game models (the company running MWO gave permission for people to extract them for 3D printing for "personal use").

For those without 3D printers to make them, there are a few sites that make them to order - but these really skirt the edge of copyright etc

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Khade97 wrote: »
    They use the MWO in game models (the company running MWO gave permission for people to extract them for 3D printing for "personal use").
    For those without 3D printers to make them, there are a few sites that make them to order - but these really skirt the edge of copyright etc

On the plus side, it seems that 3d printers are coming down in price lately. The $200 model may not have all the bells and whistles of one 6 times the cost, but it should be able to print out a tiny heavily armed robot for you.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I just looked into it. The only way to print those models at a reasonable detail level is with the much, much higher end 3D printers. The neat $200 3D printer produces things at most of about this complexity and detail:

first-robot-set__thumblarge.png

What is this I don't even.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I just looked into it. The only way to print those models at a reasonable detail level is with the much, much higher end 3D printers. The neat $200 3D printer produces things at most of about this complexity and detail:

first-robot-set__thumblarge.png

Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries models, nice

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Rules clarification question: I've been messing around a lot in Remlab lately, and I've noticed something odd about how it handles Targeting Computers. It's rounding down when determining the weight and space they take, instead of always rounding up. Is this correct?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    To my knowledge, no. One ton and crit for every four (or five) tons of compatible weaponry, or fraction thereof.

That's what I thought. Shoot, gonna be a pain having to remember to leave 1 crit/1 ton open since it's not making them as big as they're supposed to be.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    It might be worth looking up, since I haven't BattleTeched properly in a while, but I know it at least used to be that way and BT has historically been shy about changing construction rules so as not to mess with older designs.

@Nips You willing to run a Battletech Scenario in MekTek on 3/15 while we cry into our drinks for the Battletech bets

3basnids3lf9.jpg