As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Camp Comic] Friday, February 3, 2017 - Steve ‘N Steven #4

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited February 2017 in Camp Weedonwantcha

image[Camp Comic] Friday, February 3, 2017 - Steve ‘N Steven #4

Steve ‘N Steven #4

Steve ‘N Steven #4

http://campcomic.com/comic/398

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• JuniorRollJuniorRoll Registered User new member
    Redemption! - well a little

• RoaringRavenRoaringRaven Registered User regular
    Of course Steve gets the top bunk.

• briguybriguy Registered User regular
    Okay
    I concede.
    That was worth the build up for a happy Steven.

• DublinDublin Registered User regular
    My heart is now warm :)

• GinormousGinormous Registered User regular
    All it cost Steven was a broken arm. Pretty fortunate considering that fall.

• MikeLinPAMikeLinPA Registered User regular
    Just when I was ready to kill the little shit...

• FantasiaWHTFantasiaWHT Registered User new member
    This isn't redemption or some kind of happy ending... This is Steve's manipulation at its finest. Treat them like shit and then make them feel good about it.

• MrNumbersMrNumbers Registered User regular
    Yeah, this doesn't settle right with me.

Steve's showing zero remorse, zero regret for anything that he did, that's the problem. So this is just going to keep happening to Steven, now, and he's going to keep taking it as friendship.

That's a weirdly miserable ending.

• AraragiKyonAraragiKyon Registered User regular
    I disagree. Steve is not a manipulator. He's not bright enough for that, to begin with. He's merely a compulsive liar. I think this is the first time he's ever said the word "honestly" and he means it. Yes, it doesn't excuse or make up for previous actions, but it may be a first step to appreciating Steven and perhaps improve his behaviour towards him in the future.

• BaronbrianBaronbrian Registered User regular
    Steve, you're not a complete ass.

I think he's just a braggart like a lot of young kids can be who aren't sure of themselves and want to look cool.

• SkizzSkizz Registered User regular
    Man, that Steven is a total loser. Why would Steve want to hang around with him?

• evileeyoreevileeyore Grognard 100 hurricane swampRegistered User regular
    @MRNUMBERS
    That's because this is a co-dependent abusive relationship. This should make you uncomfortable,

• SynDuoSynDuo John A. Galvan Somewhere over a rainbowRegistered User regular
    Aww that was almost sincere :' ) Really love this.

• CalebCaleb Registered User regular
    Wow. A screwed up dynamic.

• Mr FishMr Fish Registered User regular
    Steven's broken arm and the way Steve is cherishing the arrow head that's not rightfully even his are just cracking me up. I love it, haha

• The GorchThe Gorch Registered User regular
    This would make it the first time that Steve has been honest.

• luposlupos Registered User regular
    Man some of you guys are really hard on damaged children.

Kid's got issues but he is working through them thanks to his very patient and understanding friend. I'm pretty sure Steven knows Steve is full of crap but he doesn't call him out on it cause he doesn't want to make him feel bad. That will lead to Steve feeling more comfortable to be himself and not put on airs so much.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]ALTEIL.com GM | XBL: lupos | My ALTEIL GM Blog
    Other than the arrowhead, Steve wasn't purposefully hurting Steven. He was just oblivious to the fact he was sharing Steven's secret with everyone and with the bridge, I think he genuinely thought it would work.
    He's just a compulsive liar trying to cover up for his lack of friends and talents. This is probably the closest Steve has ever got to telling Steven he cherishes their friendship.

• CandlewhisperCandlewhisper Registered User regular
    So I just finished reading Skadi from start to finish in one sitting, which was kind of epic and amazing.

One thing that strikes me though is that Skadi is a horrible person who is abusive to her best friend in all sorts of ways that would normally get the Vulnerable Persons team in Social Services talking about court orders. However, right through the comments this goes almost entirely uncommented on. Maybe it's the fantasy trapping, or maybe it's because Skadi has this whole femdom bikini barbarian thing going on.

Anyway, seems like we're less forgiving of the abuser this time round. I see your point on these being damaged kids, Lupos, but I'd say that this is still a nasty abusive kid victimising another kid. Sure, the abusive kid is probably like that because he's damaged, and it's probably not his fault he's like that, but still... he is definitely an abuser.

Skadi literally murdered Diseasoid's family and took him as a slave. I don't think there's much to comment on, other than the relationship changed later on. But I don't really read the comments on it for reasons.

As for Steve, I don't think he's an abuser. Besides being a damaged kid, he's not trying to abuse Steven. Obliviousness and overconfidence are not abuse. He's just a lonely kid that's trying to be more than he is to impress people. And he genuinely enjoyed his day with Steven, he's not trying to manipulate him, he just doesn't know how to express it without making grandiose claims about himself.

• Jr. Mithrandir Jr. Mithrandir Registered User regular
    Aaaw. I was waiting for Steve to get his wickedly ironic comeuppance, but this is actually better.

• FujitsuLifebookT904FujitsuLifebookT904 The Greatest Registered User regular
    One thing that strikes me though is that Skadi is a horrible person who is abusive to her best friend in all sorts of ways that would normally get the Vulnerable Persons team in Social Services talking about court orders. However, right through the comments this goes almost entirely uncommented on.

The comic itself comments on this multiple times - Skadi gets chased by angry mobs, gets sentenced to death, gets pursued by revenge-seekers, gets punished for her transgressions by mystical beings, and so on and so forth; Diseasoid complains about his pain and suffering as Skadi's slave, tries to escape multiple times, occasionally tries to kill Skadi but can't go through with it, and sometimes has suicidal thoughts simply so he could escape his miserable life.

The reader comments call out Skadi a lot, too; mind that the original comments have been lost due to Dumm Comic's site malfunctioning, and that there are both a new comment section on Dumm Comics and another on Skadi's own site, which means a lot of comics that seem to have gone without comments simply had their comments lost to the abyss. Even so, there are still plenty of comments about Skadi being an abusive dick.

• Android 21 3/7Android 21 3/7 Registered User regular
    @FujitsuLifeBookT904 With the way Skadi ends... my goodness, it was all her doing to escape karmic retribution!

• gqbriellegqbrielle mx. USARegistered User new member
    awwwww

• Peter RoganPeter Rogan Registered User regular
    And of such is the magic of storytelling.

• Talyn RahlTalyn Rahl Registered User regular
    Dddaawwwwwwwwwwww.

Damnit XD How'd you make me like him again...

• XastionXastion Registered User regular
    Yea. I have to agree with the others saying Steve is just an insecure little kid. If he really was a manipulator then he would not simply have Steven as his only friend. Remember when the comic first started both Steve and Steven regularly made up stories always one upping each other. It was though they were always locked in competition with each other over who was better but instead of a physical competition (except for the knife comic) it was all fictional accomplishments. Steven appears to have outgrown it but Steve just desperately holds on. He just doesn't let anyone in.

• xShadowsAreComingxxShadowsAreComingx Registered User new member
    am i allowed to ship it

Fair enough, Xastion. We've not got enough information to make a call, so likely we're each reading things according to our own filters and biases. To me, Steve might be driven by insecurity and immaturity, but then, so are most bullies and abusers. I'm reminded (from work) of battered spouses who insist that their husbands are not bad people or abusive because they're always there for them, and "because he buys me these nice things to say sorry" and so on.

In Steve, I see a manipulator who is working a game of control and negging on Steven, to make him dependent. That he isn't a great manipulator or that he doesn't do it to other people doesn't change the nature of their relationship. That Steve is like this because he's likely immature and lacking in self confidence is the reasons behind the bullying, not the outcome.

To me, the outcome is that Steve puts down Steven to make sure Steven doesn't leave him for someone else, and abuses the power of that relationship to take things from Steven (like the arrowhead). This, and stuff like the bridge, show that its not a true friendship where they care for each other (like say Brian has with Seventeen) but rather a power game.

Though, as I said, SO MUCH of this is subjective interpretation. That you can read this in different ways is a great testament to Katie's storytelling ability.

Poor Adam. He never gets recognition for the writing. :(

Man, my bad!

All hail Adam!

• FireballDragonFireballDragon Registered User regular
    I think Steven (Or at least part of him) might know that Steve is just lying about his awesome life before camp to compensate for being in camp, and that little opening up to Steven is a sign that he might actually be trying to connect to SOME degree. Rome wasn't built in a day, y'know.

• wingate32wingate32 Registered User new member
    I'm crying here, come on. Love it.

• poipoigirlpoipoigirl Registered User regular
    awwwww ;.;

• Pastels_ParadoxPastels_Paradox Registered User regular
    Okay, there it goes. I'm officially shipping it. Before anybody says anything, yeah, I know, all of this is obviously purely platonic- shipping is just really darn fun.