As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fire Emblem Heroes] Rerolling until you get 5 stars or Hector

MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice ActorKirkland, WARegistered User regular
edited February 2017 in Games and Technology
8ywvbmmeoa6y.jpg

Welcome to Fire Emblem Heroes!

FE:H is a mobile version of FE for your Android or Apple devices. It pulls characters from every single FE game, along with some new characters exclusive to this game.

The game is basically a small, bite-sized FE game on your mobile device. Teams consist of only 4 units and battles take place on 8x6 grids. Battles are very fast paced, yet still require careful planning and strategy.

Starting Guide

There's a lot of items and things to worry about in FE:H, so I'll do my best to distill things down into bite-sized portions. When you start the game, you'll do 3 prologue missions before getting to the main menu. Upon completing those missions, you'll be awarded 15 orbs. It's best to gather up 5 more orbs from Story missions and then do a summon (see Summoning below).

Your first summon is flexible. Basically, you summon your 5 heroes and decide whether to proceed with them or not. If you don't like what you got (perhaps you want a particular character), then you can choose to "reroll" your results by starting the game over. By starting over, you delete the entire app from your device, reinstall, download the updates, and compete the prologue missions all over again. This can take 5-10 minutes depending on how fast you are.

Once you get a team you like, it's time to start playing for real.

Summoning

You acquire Heroes by summoning them via Orbs (an in-game currency). Heroes that are summoned are done so randomly. When you summon a hero, you're given 5 different colored circles to choose from. They can be red, blue, green, or gray. These colors indicate which type of hero can potentially be summoned.

Red = Swords, Fire Magic
Blue = Lances, Thunder Magic
Green = Axes, Wind Magic
Gray = Bows, Daggers, Staffs

So if you want a sword wielding character, say Lyn, you'll want to invest your orbs into red circles. Sadly, you don't get to choose which colors show up and might get stuck with a board with only a few colors (like x3 green, x2 gray). It sucks for sure, but it's how it is for now.

When you go summon a hero, it costs 5 orbs. After agreeing to summon the hero, you'll be presented with the 5 colored circle options. Tap on a circle to unlock a character. After you're done, you have the option to summon again using one of the remaining 4 circles. The downside is that you'll be limited to the color options available, but the upside is that you'll only pay 4 orbs instead of 5. You can do this until all 4 circles have been used, with the last circle costing only 3 orbs.

To maximize your summons, it's best to wait until you have 20 orbs, then summon 5 heroes at once. Again, you might want to back out after the first summon if you're looking for a particular character and the colors don't align.

Battles

Battles in FE:H are fast-paced and intuitive. That being said, they do require some strategy and foresight on your part. FE veterans should feel right at home and be able to jump into the game without problem. If you've never played FE before, I'll detail out some battle strategies for you here.

A lot of the battles in FE revolve around the Weapon Triangle, unit types, range, and terrain.

The Weapon Triangle is a system where certain types of weapons have advantages over others, dealing greater damage. Each weapon or spell is assigned a color; Red, Blue, Green, or Gray. It goes: Red > Green > Blue > Red with Gray being neutral to all. If possible, you'll want to attack with your weapon advantage and avoid your disadvantage. For example:

Anna is an Axe user, so her color is green. She deals bonus damage to Lance users (Blue) and takes more damage from Sword users (Red). On the other hand, Virion is a Bow user (Gray) and has no strengths or weaknesses against other weapon/color types.

In addition to the Weapon Triangle, each unit has a specified type. This is a far bigger deal in regular FE games, but FE:H basically boils down to troops, armored, mounted units, and flying units.

Foot troops are basically all non-mounted units. They move 2 spaces and attack melee or ranged. These are you mages, healers, sword fighters, archers, and so forth.
Armored units are big, powerful bruisers. They move 1 space, but have high defense making them harder to kill without magic.
Mounted units are fast moving units. They can move 3 spaces and wield a variety of weapons. Usually these units are flexible, but not great at any one thing.
Flying units soar over terrain. They can move 2 spaces, but cross over anything in their way (water, mountains, etc). They take extra damage from Bow users.

Be careful when engaging units in battle. If your flyer gets in range of a Bow user, he/she is likely to get seriously wounded or killed. Likewise with Armored units versus magic wielders.

Range is very important in FE. Units are either Melee (one square away) or Ranged (two squares away). Always check your attack ranges before committing to an attack. Ranged attackers deal damage from 2 squares away, meaning a Melee character will not counter attack. Conversely, if a Melee attacker attacks a Ranged opponent, they don't have to fear a counter attack. In all battles, the attacker swings first, then the defender counter attacks if possible.

Terrain doesn't play a big role in FE:H, but is still important. Rivers and mountains can create choke points that your opponent has to funnel through. Placing a tough unit on a bridge (a Knight for example), allows you to attack enemies with your Ranged units safely.

There is a red "Danger Zone" button at the bottom of the battle screen. Tapping it will show all of the enemies combined attack ranges. Use this to position your units carefully, especially flyers. If you tap and hold on an enemy unit, their attack range appears as dark red. This is important to do on Bow users when you have a flyer out. Be careful though, the Danger Zone can change if you move units around or open pathways!

Allies

More info to come...

Upgrades, Leveling, and Skills

More info to come...

Castle Area and Quests

More info to come...

Shop

More info to come...

Settings and Tips

Here are a list of things you might want to know about while playing:
  • If a character has hearts around them in the castle area, tap on them to acquire an item.
  • Speed is huge!
  • Let lower level characters get the killing hit. Killing blows grant more XP. Soften enemies up with higher levels characters and finish them off with the weaklings.
  • If you kill an enemy 4 levels lower than you, you gain no XP.
  • If a hero dies in battle, they lose all XP they earned that map.
  • Healers only gain XP by healing. Always heal when possible (even if it's only 1 XP). They won't gain XP if they've healed too much on a map though.
  • Characters that are 4* or higher automatically become "Favorited". You can disable this option in the Settings.
  • Sometimes it's good not to attack. What?! There are some cases where if you attack, then the enemy can attack and kill you on their turn. If you don't attack, you'll deal counter attack damage and then finish them off on your turn. Great for choke point scenarios.
  • If you want things to go faster, disable attack animations.

Friend's List

Here's our PA friend list. Add yourself today! Make sure to send out a greeting. Occasionally a hero might show up with a gift!

More info to come...

Current Roster Tier List

http://feheroes.wiki/Tier_List

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
Steam ID
Twitch Page
MNC Dover on

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I wonder what having your leader unit will do for your friends? So far, I've had some friends come with hearts around them, so I tap them and get some feathers. But will we eventually get to do something with friends leaders?

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    I wonder what having your leader unit will do for your friends? So far, I've had some friends come with hearts around them, so I tap them and get some feathers. But will we eventually get to do something with friends leaders?

Probably. Someone from Intelligent Systems recently said in an interview that they're planning on adding more features that incorporate your friends in the future.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    So hector has a skill called distant counter, allowing him to counter all attacks regardless of range. Potent!

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Huh. So I have a 3* Gordin, who has a weapon skill that lowers his SPD by 5, but on all turns he initiates combat, he will always attack twice.

But that seems very detrimental because it means it's that much easier for people to hit him twice and he's fish in a barrel on anyone in his dead zone. I also gave him a counterattack skill so he'll counter when he's less than 25% HP. Maybe if I can 4 or 5* him, he'll get an upgrade to let him counter at 50 or 75%, hopefully.

Camilla has the same thing. The two main benefits are: the double attacks from weapons stack with SPD advantage, so you attack 4 times; and most importantly, the double attacks from weapons happen before counters. SPD double attacks go Attack > Counter> Attack. Double weapon attacks go Attack > Attack > Counter (if they're not dead) > Attack > Attack; with the last two attacks being if you have SPD advantage on top of it.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    I said it in the Fire Emblem main thread, but I'll say it again. Give me this version of combat in a mainline game. I am loving this whole 0 RNG but with skills and passives and such combat a lot more than the mainline games.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    Clarine hit level 20, so I can upgrade her to 5*! I just need 10,000 feathers. I currently have...15. This might take a while.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Taking suggestions for content to get added to the OP.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    So...I pulled two 5* in my first roll. Ryoma and Maria. Along with 2 Olivias (one 4*, the other 3*) and 3* Cherche.

I'm assuming two 5* right off the back is pretty amazing so I'm gonna roll with this.

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Smoogy wrote: »
    So...I pulled two 5* in my first roll. Ryoma and Maria. Along with 2 Olivias (one 4*, the other 3*) and 3* Cherche.

I'm assuming two 5* right off the back is pretty amazing so I'm gonna roll with this.
    Yeah, I've done two full pulls and I haven't seen a 5* yet.
    Talith wrote: »
    I said it in the Fire Emblem main thread, but I'll say it again. Give me this version of combat in a mainline game. I am loving this whole 0 RNG but with skills and passives and such combat a lot more than the mainline games.
    So... I was very excited to see how Heroes would feel, and I was a little disappointed while playing the first five chapters because it seemed a little too... "4v4, move all of your units into range and don't really worry about strategy, types matter if you want to be efficient but it's no big deal), but in the later story missions, there's more strategy and planning necessary and it starts to feel more like true FE. I do miss the frequent critical hits, but then again, it does feel more fair.

I'm glad there's some depth to this; getting SP and using it to unlock new skills feels great.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
    A link to the wiki: http://feheroes.wiki/Main_Page

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular

They sort of did that in the Dawn series, you could choose for fixed stat gains rather than go by growth rates.

My biggest issue with always hit combat is that it devalues classes like myrmidons/swordsman classes and lancers while making classes like archers (whose value has been both range and extremely high accuracy weaker.

The change would hurt thief/assassins too except with Fates they've made them able to attack at range and strip defenses.

Ardor wrote: »
    So hector has a skill called distant counter, allowing him to counter all attacks regardless of range. Potent!

I'm currently grinding SP to buy that. 300 is a lot, but he's slow and vulnerable at range currently.

Hits like a Mack truck though.

Kelor wrote: »

They sort of did that in the Dawn series, you could choose for fixed stat gains rather than go by growth rates.

Yes and it was fantastic.
    My biggest issue with always hit combat is that it devalues classes like myrmidons/swordsman classes and lancers while making classes like archers (whose value has been both range and extremely high accuracy weaker.

The change would hurt thief/assassins too except with Fates they've made them able to attack at range and strip defenses.

Incidentally I always hated how awful they are early game and how powerful they are late game.

But then again Nephenee is the best. When she gets introduced to the game I hope they somehow have the Wrath + Vantage combination again.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    Remember kids, Tiki is great and all but when Lucina comes walking up you are going to have a bad time.

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    My Robin's just such a boss.

I don't know how to pronounce his skill. It's Blarraven+ or something. All I know is, you hit him with a sword, and you get ravens jammed up your ass.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Ardor wrote: »

I'm currently grinding SP to buy that. 300 is a lot, but he's slow and vulnerable at range currently.

Hits like a Mack truck though.

Ryoma's sword has that as a special ability. He solo'd the Virion 10 recruitment battles in 2 turns by counter attacking suicidal ranged units.

steam_sig.png
    edited February 2017
    My 4* Nino wrecks everything in her path and I'm wondering if this is how I know that I should keep her in my party and look to get her to 5 stars.

Haven't pulled any 5*s yet - I imagine the goal is to get four base 5* characters, which will take a while because they're rare - but I do want to see if I can boost this Nino from 4* to 5*. Reddit suggests that the level-up is prohibitively expensive in terms of feathers required.

Edit: Another thing: I really like Laslow, who is a non-mounted swordsman - he hits hard and can self-heal at level 19 - but when you have multiple heroes who can really move quite a distance on their turn, it's frustrating to use someone who is always a step behind. And it's not like his defense is so great to compensate. I fear he may get the boot before too long.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    My 4* Nino wrecks everything in her path and I'm wondering if this is how I know that I should keep her in my party and look to get her to 5 stars.

Haven't pulled any 5*s yet - I imagine the goal is to get four base 5* characters, which will take a while because they're rare - but I do want to see if I can boost this Nino from 4* to 5*. Reddit suggests that the level-up is prohibitively expensive in terms of feathers required.

Grind out those arena battles.

steam_sig.png
    TNTrooper wrote: »

Grind out those arena battles.

True. I'm at 7 straight intermediate wins and am waiting til the clock strikes midnight.

• CruorCruor Registered User regular
    You can get Dueling Crests through quests, and also with 100 platinum points on MyNintendo. Should speed things along pretty well.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Are stat gains randomized in this?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

From Talith's post in the general FE thread, he indicated that there is some preset level up paths (one might have slightly more HP, verses one with slightly more Atk). I haven't seen anything definitive though.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    I don't think I'm going to bother with special maps unless it's a character I want.

It's not worth dropping fifteen stamina for a one and two rank character.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I spent a few orbs to get my XP gain up to a bonus 60% I think, which seems totally worth it. Anyone else doing that?

I got a 5 star Robin and he's been an MVP for the little bit I've used 'em.

edited February 2017

Yes and it was fantastic.

Incidentally I always hated how awful they are early game and how powerful they are late game.

I like Mercenaries over Myrmidons, I'd rather have the defence than dodge, I'm mostly arguing from a balance point of view.

I prefer randomisation for a couple of reasons, it forces me to try out different characters in different play throughs and I enjoy occasionally getting a completely busted character.

I had a Ross in a Sacred Stones campaign who was a god amongst men. Just stacked with Str, Speed and Def. or my no defence high Str/speed Gatrie who wrecked house alongside Nephenee on the front line.

i thought the rings in Path of Radiance were really smart, since they help guide a characters growth without landing in fixed stat territory.

If they were to have a mode that gives you rings again that would be a good middle ground.

Kelor on
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I spent a few orbs to get my XP gain up to a bonus 60% I think, which seems totally worth it. Anyone else doing that?

That's where I got my castle to as well, it gets pretty pricey after that.

• ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    Huh. I think that this is the case:
    Brody wrote: »

From Talith's post in the general FE thread, he indicated that there is some preset level up paths (one might have slightly more HP, verses one with slightly more Atk). I haven't seen anything definitive though.

I've noticed that if I level up a character during battle, then that character dies (and so doesn't gain the XP for that battle), and then I use the same character in the next battle and have them level up again, then they always gain the same stats.

I don't know if it's confirmation bias, and I only notice it when it happens, and ignore it when it doesn't - maybe someone else can chime in?

Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
    I don't think I'm going to bother with special maps unless it's a character I want.

I agree, but don't forget about the feathers you get for sending heroes home. The pricier level-ups cost 20k feathers or something absurd, so every bit counts.

edited February 2017
    Also has anyone else noticed that healers have beastly stat upgrades? My three star Lissa has better speed, defense and resistance than my Chrom.

Kelor on

I agree, but don't forget about the feathers you get for sending heroes home. The pricier level-ups cost 20k feathers or something absurd, so every bit counts.

One star and two star characters are only worth five and ten feathers respectively though.

SniperGuy wrote: »

That's where I got my castle to as well, it gets pretty pricey after that.

I am buying them since its a permanent upgrade that you get eventually. Up to 80% next is 100% for 10 orbs.

steam_sig.png
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Taking suggestions for content to get added to the OP.

A list of all the various currency types and what they are used for would be helpful. Also, mentioning the Mynintendo rewards would be good because you can get coins for completing chapters and turn those in for crystals or amulets or the dueling refill items. (Should i be buying the crystals or the shards?)

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Got a 5 star Leo, and 4 star Cordelia and Olivia. 3 star on the other 2 but I don't even know who they are. Good enough for me, I'm not doing that rerolling crap.

Enigmedic wrote: »
    Got a 5 star Leo, and 4 star Cordelia and Olivia. 3 star on the other 2 but I don't even know who they are. Good enough for me, I'm not doing that rerolling crap.

I think I saw on some website that 5 star Leo is like the highest of the top-tier, because of his abilities or some such. So yeah, I wouldn't reroll.

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I have never played a Fire Emblem game before, so I have no idea what I'm doing. I did, however, get a 5* Takumi and a 4* Catria on my first set of 5 pulls, so that's good enough to get going I think. FFTactics is my favorite Final Fantasy game, so I at least have some idea of how to handle the combat.

steam_sig.png
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Nintendo being the origination of the It Prints Money meme feels appropriate here.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    Yep, ninjas behind sufficiently beefy units will still wreck shop here. Even armored targets have to watch out for those with Poison Strike tagging for around 4-7 damage even if the attack proper doesn't do anything.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    7648909348. I rerolled three times till I got a five star Lyn, then got a five star Takumi from my next twenty. I decided to level up my castle to 80% after that, so I denied myself another pull so far.

What is this I don't even.
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Billmaan wrote: »
    Clarine hit level 20, so I can upgrade her to 5*! I just need 10,000 feathers. I currently have...15. This might take a while.

Looks like I'll get about 1500 feathers from the four day pvp tournament.

What is this I don't even.
This discussion has been closed.