As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SOUTH] Current and Classic Tournaments! (CT)

TektonikkTektonikk PAX South/West Console Tournament ManagerRegistered User regular
edited January 2017 in PAX South
Hey All,

This is the usual rules post for Console Tournaments.

All tourney signups are in Console Tournament. Meet at Console Tourney 15 minutes before tournament start to practice.

First: Signups for a given tournament starts on the day of the tournament.

Second: Signups start at 10am each day.

Third: All tournaments are single-elimination.
- We know this is rough, but we only have so much time.

Let me know if you have any questions.

That said, we’ll get into the games (ordered by day):

Friday

12pm – Mortal Kombat X (PS4)
1v1
Bring Your Own Stick
Unusual controllers subject to community review.

1pm – Friday Mystery Tournament!
4-way Free For All
It’s a Mystery!

2pm – Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 (PS4)
4-way Free For All
Guns TBD (We’re working on it!)

3pm - Super Puzzle Fighter Turbo HD Remix (360)
1v1
X’ Mode

4pm – Rocket League (PS4)
1v1

5 PM– Ultimate Marvel VS. Capcom (360)
1v1
Bring Your Own Stick
Unusual controllers subject to community review.

7 PM - Halo 4 (360)
4-way Free for all
Basic MLG rules
Single map

8pm – Super Mario Strikers (GCN)
1v1
5-minute rounds (not all characters may be unlocked)

9 PM – Bomberman Live (360)
4-way FFA
2-minute Rounds, Best 2

Saturday

12 Noon – Soul Calibur II (GCN)
1v1
Bring your own stick
Unusual controllers are subject to community review

1 PM – Street Fighter V (PS4)
1v1
Bring your own stick
Unusual controllers are subject to community review

2 PM - Mario Kart: Double Dash (GCN)
4-way Free For All
Grand Prix

3 PM – Puyo Puyo Tetris (PS4)
1v1
Mixed Mode
Bring Your Own Stick
Unusual Controllers subject to community review

4PM – Wario Ware Inc.: Mega Party Games$ (@DanQ)
4-way Free For All
Multiplayer Mode

6 PM – Kirby Air Ride (GCN)
4-Way Free For All
City Trial

7 PM - Super Smash Bros 64 (N64)
4-way Free For All
5 Stock/NO ITEMS

8 PM – Tetris Attack
1v1
Start At Level 7

9 PM – Mario Kart 64 (N64)
4-way Free For All
GP Mode

SUNDAY

11 AM – Goldeneye 64 (N64)
4-way Free For All

12 PM – Dead Or Alive Beach Volleyball (Xbox)
1v1
Score Cap TBD

1pm – Diddy Kong Racing (N64)
4-way Free For All
Racing – T.T. Banned

2pm – Jet Set Radio Future (XBOX)
4-way FFA

3 PM – Super Mario Kart (SNES)
1v1
Battle Mode

4 PM – Sunday Mystery Tournament
4-way Free For All
It’s a mystery to all of us

Tektonikk on

• Options
    Josh5890Josh5890 ChicagoRegistered User regular
    What are the player limits? Isn't it usually 32 or 64?

This space for rent
  • Options
    TektonikkTektonikk PAX South/West Console Tournament Manager Registered User regular
    Josh5890 wrote: »
    What are the player limits? Isn't it usually 32 or 64?

For most tournaments the player cap will be 32 players, there will be some odd ones at 64 players though like Halo.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Oh shit N64 smash? I might actually stand a chance at that!

I'm confused about bring your own stick for Puyo Puyo Tetris. Is that a thing for this particular puzzle game or just a copy/paste error?
    Edit:re: N64 smash, will those be real First party controllers with joysticks that haven't been ground to complete wobblyness or 3rd party affairs? I can live with a little bit of looseygooseyness in the joystick if it means the controller feels right.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TektonikkTektonikk PAX South/West Console Tournament Manager Registered User regular
    Oh shit N64 smash? I might actually stand a chance at that!

I'm confused about bring your own stick for Puyo Puyo Tetris. Is that a thing for this particular puzzle game or just a copy/paste error?
    Edit:re: N64 smash, will those be real First party controllers with joysticks that haven't been ground to complete wobblyness or 3rd party affairs? I can live with a little bit of looseygooseyness in the joystick if it means the controller feels right.

I've seen people use sticks for Puyo Puyo Tetris but regular controllers will provided if you don't have a stick it's just an option and an OK if you happen to have one.

For Smash 64 and all other N64 games, all controllers will be first party and the sticks on almost all of them are great (all tested and good to go). If you're not cool with that you can BYOC but no keyboards please haha

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I haven't played a Puyo Puyo variant since Dr Robotniks Mean Bean Machine so i don't exactly have a preference in that arena.
    Unfortunately i just remembered the Smash tourney coincides with a karaoke thing i was planning on going to. :(

Still, i made sure my schedule is wide open for the Super Puzzle Fighter one. And this year I got a copy of it so i went be going in cold like i did year 1.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I haven't played a Puyo Puyo variant since Dr Robotniks Mean Bean Machine so i don't exactly have a preference in that arena.
    Unfortunately i just remembered the Smash tourney coincides with a karaoke thing i was planning on going to. :(

Still, i made sure my schedule is wide open for the Super Puzzle Fighter one. And this year I got a copy of it so i went be going in cold like i did year 1.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone play, I might join some tournaments myself ;)

• Options
    mariomaster777mariomaster777 Registered User regular
    Mario Kart 64 listed twice. I'm assuming the 2pm is Double Dash? I'm also assuming it's singles? Not 2v2?

• Options
    Mario Kart 64 listed twice. I'm assuming the 2pm is Double Dash? I'm also assuming it's singles? Not 2v2?

Thanks for the heads up, this has been changed and reflected in an edit. It will be 4-way Free for All, unfortunately there will be no doubles tournaments in the Console Tournament department this show.

• Options
    JoeSauceJoeSauce KansasRegistered User regular
    Any prizes or just for fun?

3HeJgC7.png
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    We give away event medals made for the show. They say PAX South 2017 on them, they look pretty sweet!

Tektonikk on
  • Options
    Josh5890Josh5890 ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I just realized that there are no Wii-U tournaments this year. Any specific reason why?

This space for rent
  • Options
    DanQDanQ Registered User regular
    I appreciate the tag, lol. but I'll be at east for this year.

• Options
    Josh5890 wrote: »
    I just realized that there are no Wii-U tournaments this year. Any specific reason why?

We did have a mystery tournament for WiiU so the console was represented but the logistics of multiple set ups with locked content is hard to get done with the time constraints that we have. I've been meaning to do splatoon for ages but it's just way too hard to set up and we go through most events without internet access as well.