As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] POST IN THE NEW THREAD!

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that was an especially helpful thing to remember for her character. I just found myself immediately out of practical to use melee.

It is possible that I outright lost track of 2 cards as well.

I think attempt 2 will go fine if we don't encounter chain shields again.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Dirk2112 wrote: »
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Hey all, still trying to downsize my collection to make room for newer shit. Let me know if there's anything you like.

Your post got me wandering. Is there any way to filter board game geek trades by location? Every time I look for a game that I want and find someone who wants something I have to trade, the person is always in Europe. I really don't want to ship heavy board games overseas. It would be great if I could just search 25 miles from my house and just meet someone halfway.

I think you just go into your profile and click trade or something? Or click HERE to go to the custom trade finder. You can select specific games you want to find trades for (sending and/or receiving), as well as location (there's a checkbox to limit to search in your country only).
    I actually have shortcuts on my BGG for the custom trade finder, a trade search filtered to my state only, and a trade search filtered to my country only.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular

I think you just go into your profile and click trade or something? Or click HERE to go to the custom trade finder. You can select specific games you want to find trades for (sending and/or receiving), as well as location (there's a checkbox to limit to search in your country only).
    I actually have shortcuts on my BGG for the custom trade finder, a trade search filtered to my state only, and a trade search filtered to my country only.

That is exactly what I wanted! Thank you!

NNID = Zepp914
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    My wife attended a work party without me tonight, at one of her superior's houses that we've been to before. But this time they got to go down into the basement, and her boss has a shelf full of board games. Which got everyone talking, apparently, about board games, and now we have "Attending and Fellow Game Nights". Which, awesome.

I just find it kind of hilarious that basically everyone she works with plays board games, but couldn't find anyone to play them with until it turns out that they all play board games. One wonders how long this has been the state of affairs, with everyone just a little embarassed to admit it to each other at work.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Finally got Dominion Prosperity to the table! (kept having 5+ players) So much fun and swung around making us think another person was winning or going to win before finally flipping upside down and the one who thought she was losing scooped up 4 colony cards and won!

Definitely want to play again.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    My wife attended a work party without me tonight, at one of her superior's houses that we've been to before. But this time they got to go down into the basement, and her boss has a shelf full of board games. Which got everyone talking, apparently, about board games, and now we have "Attending and Fellow Game Nights". Which, awesome.

I just find it kind of hilarious that basically everyone she works with plays board games, but couldn't find anyone to play them with until it turns out that they all play board games. One wonders how long this has been the state of affairs, with everyone just a little embarassed to admit it to each other at work.
    Every time I bring up board games with other people, they want to play Cards Against Humanity. :(

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    "what do you play?"

"Cards Against Humanity, Chez Geek and Munchkin"

"...alright"

They're a close friend of mine but we don't meet all that often. Otherwise I'd try out Funemployed or Redflags and see how that goes.

• FryFry Registered User regular
    True story, I was browsing internet dating profiles and I saw someone who mentioned that they enjoy board games. "Great!" I thought. Kept reading...the example given was "Oregon Trail card game." Nooooooooooope.

• mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    True story, I was browsing internet dating profiles and I saw someone who mentioned that they enjoy board games. "Great!" I thought. Kept reading...the example given was "Oregon Trail card game." Nooooooooooope.

no kinkshaming plz

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
    edited February 2017
    My wife and I ran into a couple I knew at a board game store. They were so excited to find out we were gamers. They invited us over, so we went over one night. We get there and they had an entire table piled high with games, but 50% were different expansions for Descent. They also had Twilight Imperium, and basically any long game that either had a space theme or medieval miniatures. Thankfully I spotted a copy of Castle Panic and we were able to play a game that didn't take the rest of our lives.

Normally when someone says they like board games, I assume they mean Cards Against Humanity, Trivial Pursuit, Guesstures, Cranium, or Qwelf.

Dirk2112 on
    NNID = Zepp914
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    My wife and I ran into a couple I knew at a board game store. They were so excited to find out we were gamers. They invited us over, so we went over one night. We get there and they had an entire table piled high with games, but 50% were different expansions for Descent. They also had Twilight Imperium, and basically any long game that either had a space theme or medieval miniatures. Thankfully I spotted a copy of Castle Panic and we were able to play a game that didn't take the rest of our lives.

Normally when someone says they like board games, I assume they mean Cards Against Humanity, Trivial Pursuit, Guesstures, Cranium, or Qwelf.

It's like a secret code. Hey do you like board games?
    YEAH!
    I love Monopoly!
    "See you later"

or
    YEAH!
    I LOVE ORLEANS, ECLIPSE, MAGE KNIGHT,...
    "We're friends"

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

you talkin' smack about descent all up ins

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
      I've never played Super Hot on PC, but having watched Rahdo run the card game I'm definitely picking that up. It looks like a great solo game.

camo_sig2.png
      Magic Pink wrote: »

I want to try the base game, which I know can take 2 hours by itself. I wasn't prepared for a metric ton of expansions. I think when they play Descent, they play for days.

NNID = Zepp914
    • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
      The expansions are usually just extra scenarios, monsters, and hero types, i doubt they add much to the length of the game outside of players taking more time for their initial selections. At least the first handful were like this, not sure what they've done recently

Steam
      Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
      Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
      3ds: 3282-2248-0453
    • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
      Yea the expansions for descent are adding more tiles, scenarios, monsters etc, not about adding more complexity to the base game. It's just more stuff to play through and play with. A single scenario from the base game or from an expansion is going to be about the same length/complexity wise.

I want to try the base game, which I know can take 2 hours by itself. I wasn't prepared for a metric ton of expansions. I think when they play Descent, they play for days.

i totally drag my ass at descent but even then one scenario never takes more than 30 minutes.

if they try to play more scenarios in one sitting have them call me; i will explain to them why that is crazy plans

• ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
      Gloomhaven showed up today (no box damage thank goodness), and my son and I played the first mission. It's REAL GOOD. The slowly dwindling card supply plus having to use 2 cards each turn makes for *agonizing* decisions since they are all useful to some degree, there's no junk in the decks that we've seen and couple that with deciding whether to burn your one-time use abilities early to prevent damage or save them for later... masterful. And the hidden personal quest info is great too; I drew 'loot one treasure chest in the scenario' and was one turn away but my son ended it by killing the last enemy. Personally frustrating of course, loot having to be gathered by a turn action is my biggest annoyance about the game so far, but it does make for weighty decisions and great gameplay. We are having a little trouble nailing down the "you can tell each other the gist of what you're going to do on your turn but not the specific cards" but that either improve with time or we'll just say screw it and use the increased difficulty for fully open info option; the designer has admirably considered a lot of possible house rules and provides suggested rules for such ahead of time which is really neat to see.

Storage is already a pain. Despite the ginormous box, its not set up to manage the room tiles well since here's just so many of them and various sizes and shapes to boot. Not sure how to best approach it, I have a plano for the player bits and such but may have to get more creative for the room stuff.

• kowikowi Registered User regular
      jclast wrote: »
      I've never played Super Hot on PC, but having watched Rahdo run the card game I'm definitely picking that up. It looks like a great solo game.

It is definitely a great solo game.

PSN: kowi - WiiU: kowi - XBL: KoWi - twitch.tv/kowi profile.png - "Yes, Kowi is the King of All" - smilie.png Unbreakable Vow
      Personally frustrating of course, loot having to be gathered by a turn action is my biggest annoyance about the game so far, but it does make for weighty decisions and great gameplay.

I'm 80% sure you can loot stuff just by ending your turn on top of it as well.
      Storage is already a pain. Despite the ginormous box, its not set up to manage the room tiles well since here's just so many of them and various sizes and shapes to boot. Not sure how to best
      approach it, I have a plano for the player bits and such but may have to get more creative for the room stuff.
      I just dumped the worthless insert and piled them size wise, biggest at the bottom on top of the character boxes. The weird V shaped ones went up against the side and the corridors on the other side. Everything else is in baggies and I have plenty of room to spare.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
      Skull (Skulls & Roses) was a hit with the ladies last night at a Meetup charity party. Aesthetically beautiful, and the purest of bluffing games (a genre I normally avoid,) I will now have this on me when going to parties with strangers.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
      ArcSyn wrote: »
      Finally got Dominion Prosperity to the table! (kept having 5+ players) So much fun and swung around making us think another person was winning or going to win before finally flipping upside down and the one who thought she was losing scooped up 4 colony cards and won!

Definitely want to play again.

Prosperity is my favourite expansion. It's an object lesson in game design showing how important a +1 here or there can lead to seriously nonlinear power increases.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
    • Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
      Wooo I've got Mexica coming today! I am very excited.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
      Man I could really use some tips for organizing Gloomhaven bits. Anyone got a guide or suggestions?

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
        TimFiji wrote: »
        Man I could really use some tips for organizing Gloomhaven bits. Anyone got a guide or suggestions?

Dump it all in a bucket and grab stuff willy nilly

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular

Go ahead and send me your copy and I'll be sure to dig up some juicy storage tips for you!

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636

Go ahead and send me your copy and I'll be sure to dig up some juicy storage tips for you!

Perfect, I can even cover shipping you're being so accommodating!

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
          Cantido wrote: »
          Skull (Skulls & Roses) was a hit with the ladies last night at a Meetup charity party. Aesthetically beautiful, and the purest of bluffing games (a genre I normally avoid,) I will now have this on me when going to parties with strangers.

I used to play this years ago! I dunno how I forgot it, I need to start playing it again.

sig.gif
        • ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
          Personally frustrating of course, loot having to be gathered by a turn action is my biggest annoyance about the game so far, but it does make for weighty decisions and great gameplay.

I'm 80% sure you can loot stuff just by ending your turn on top of it as well.

You're right, I forgot about that. It wouldn't have helped me in that scenario though, I was too far to move to the chest before round end.

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
          Got our first session of Gloomhaven done!

I'll have more thoughts later, but here's a couple;

1) This game is amazing
          2) You will get fucked up in this game, especially when you open a door jesus christ, bring a Brute and probably a Tinkerer
          3) Hope you have a big-ass table
          4) The Cragheart has a lot more ranged attacks than I'm comfortable with, strictly speaking. Need to look at the Level X cards.
          5) Seriously opening doors is no joke, be ready for a shitstorm
          6) I love this game

• HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
          Finished first real game of Gloomhaven. We got wrecked, although in part that might be that I died first before we found out about the rule that you can lose cards to prevent damage.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
        • CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
          Guys, I got to say it again. Jaipur is the tits. Seriously fun game even with a smart 7 year old. If you like 2p games, this one is for you.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
        • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
          Looks like I'm officially going to be in the credits of Word Domination as co-designer for the multiplayer mode.

Feels really good to not only get recognized, but to use my design talents again. With luck I could springboard this into another project.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
          Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
          Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
          Steam ID
          Twitch Page
          I always get sad when I go to boardgamegeek and see the KS versions of games (in this case Gloomhaven) on eBay. I always just assume huge board game fans kickstart these things

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
            I always get sad when I go to boardgamegeek and see the KS versions of games (in this case Gloomhaven) on eBay. I always just assume huge board game fans kickstart these things

Anything that raises more than a million can normally turn a solid profit at the max "all the extra jazz" level. If you have the cash and want to gamble on a reasonable certainty of 25-100% profit then it is not a bad idea at all

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
          • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular

If there are limited copies, yeah, I'd be sad too, but I figure these guys are helping the Kickstarter reach its goal or stretch goals and allowing for a fan who may have missed the Kickstarter window to still get all the promos/exclusives.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
          • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
            Except for Gloomhaven there are no Kickstarter exclusives. OK, there's one piece of paper with a thank you note and a substitution cipher for some messages scattered around the rulebook and such. But nothing of any consequence for sure.

edited February 2017
            Rius wrote: »
            Except for Gloomhaven there are no Kickstarter exclusives. OK, there's one piece of paper with a thank you note and a substitution cipher for some messages scattered around the rulebook and such. But nothing of any consequence for sure.

Character cardboard standees were KS exclusive. Plus you get it a month+ earlier.

Magic Pink on
          • The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
            edited February 2017
            Our neighbors invited us over to dinner last night, and they tell me they are avid boardgamers. It turns out most of their games are regular old family games but at least they had Catan with a ton of expansions, so it was not too bad.
            I suggested we played Catan since my girlfriend has never played it, and I figured it would be nice to not do the rules explanation for once.
            The first alarm bells should had gone of when they wanted to use the 5-6 player expansion even though we were only 4, since it was "not as mean", but I gave them the benefit of the doubt. But then they played with random number placement AND blind placement of the starting villages since it was "unfair that the starting player always gets the best spots."

I ended up starting with my six resource-spaces consisting of 2x11, 2x12 and 2x2 and were basically screwed from the start. I struggled to even get my third village while the others had so many resources that they didn't even have to trade me.

I ended the game with 4 points...

And my girlfriend's reaction was to ask me why we didn't own this game because she had so much fun.... :bigfrown:

The Mantiz on
            3DS - 2878-9572-9277
          • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
            edited February 2017
            Holy shit, why!?

DarkPrimus on