As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nioh: Onimusouls Action Available on Feb 7!

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Well if you're truly curious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TLIccxZpd0

Short answer is very.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    It's good. It's damn good. Unfortunate about the areas, but mission structured game like this I'm not too surprised. Also the glut of armor seems also like an odd complaint: just like Diablo 3, you need that glut to feed into the upgrade mill. There is a robust armor system here that wouldn't work otherwise.

Definitely picking this up next Tuesday.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Destructoid also gave it a 9.

The game is getting reviewed really well, and the detractors don't seem all that bad. Yeah, you get a lot of gear that just seems useless to you, but it'll actually serve you well by just offering up all the trash you get for more elixirs and the small amounts of Amrita you get.

It kind of sucks for OCD, though.

Glut of gear was my main complaint from the Final Chance demo. It's not very easy to compare items quickly in your inventory. I think the massive glut of gear is a bit like launch Diablo 3: A goddamned mess.

But the game shines anyway.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    ED! wrote: »
    It's good. It's damn good. Unfortunate about the areas, but mission structured game like this I'm not too surprised. Also the glut of armor seems also like an odd complaint: just like Diablo 3, you need that glut to feed into the upgrade mill. There is a robust armor system here that wouldn't work otherwise.

Definitely picking this up next Tuesday.

lol I didn't see your post before I wrote mine. It feels too much like launch Diablo 3 to me rather than refined Diablo 3.

And loot in launch Diablo 3 was garbage, sorry.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    It's interesting to look through the metacritic snippets and see that a lot of the lower scores are given by sources that are quoted as finding it "accessible" in an apparently derogatory sense.

Also, a fair number apparently find the graphics "dated" and "ugly"; of the demo missions, the Ogress level definitely wasn't inspiring in its design or color palette, but none of the demos really made me think the game visually demonstrated its troubled development.

• Options
    I mean, you need garbage gear to feed into your better gear. The second demo made this really clear: you find "common" gear that's of a higher level than the good piece you have, and use it to bring your lowbie gear up to snuff. Although I forget what you broke down gear in Diablo for.

The UI could DEFINITELY use a makeover, but I didn't find information hard to come by. I thought the "spells" being in the same tab as the other "on use" items was the worst part for me.

Here's two hours of some UK's playing. I think that's the right word. Actually PA is a fun channel.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Get some real Onimusha vibes from this for some reason...

I'm garbage at Souls games though. I've no doubt I'll talk myself into buying it at some point because "This is the one where I'm going to figure out how everything works and stick with it until I beat it!", and then give up in frustration a week later... :rotate:

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    I mean, you need garbage gear to feed into your better gear. The second demo made this really clear: you find "common" gear that's of a higher level than the good piece you have, and use it to bring your lowbie gear up to snuff. Although I forget what you broke down gear in Diablo for.

The UI could DEFINITELY use a makeover, but I didn't find information hard to come by. I thought the "spells" being in the same tab as the other "on use" items was the worst part for me.

Here's two hours of some UK's playing. I think that's the right word. Actually PA is a fun channel.

Diablo's crafting system is superb nowadays with Kanai's cube. You basically break down gear and farm essences and Act parts to reforge rare gear into random legendary gear, or reroll legendary gear, or turn set pieces into other set pieces.

I think the thing I hated the most was the fiddliness with weapon switching and stance switching.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    Dracil wrote: »

Diablo's crafting system is superb nowadays with Kanai's cube. You basically break down gear and farm essences and Act parts to reforge rare gear into random legendary gear, or reroll legendary gear, or turn set pieces into other set pieces.

I think the thing I hated the most was the fiddliness with weapon switching and stance switching.

Honestly, this will be a game where you will need to pick a weapon and stick with it. Once I did, stance swapping in combat to pull off sick combos became second nature. It just takes getting used to the timing of the weapons.

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Dracil wrote: »

Nioh seems to have similar crafting mechanics. You can break down gear for components and make stuff if different rarities from blueprints you can find, reroll stats on stuff, and combine things to increase item level or transfer over stats. It worked pretty good in my limited experience with it.

Etiowsa on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Dac wrote: »
    metaghost wrote: »
    ... Oh, no demo anymore?

... Well, that sucks. Why was it time-limited?

It wasn't really a demo. It was a last minute network beta test in the guise of a "last chance demo". The real goal, from their end, was to test network stuff.

Well. I hope this Mark of the Conqueror thing they're offering isn't anything cool, because it's lame it's unattainable now.

I'm sure it's just starter gear that's a tiny bit better than what everyone else gets and will be outclassed quickly.

I think it's actually just cosmetic gear that lets you take advantage of the transmog system to ensure that you always have a stylish hat.

... Hope not, that would be the one kind of thing that would really piss me off.

Because of two pieces of cosmetic gear among hundreds of possible other options? You don't even know if you'll like them, they could be ugly, who knows. Seems like an unfortunate reason to be pissed off.

I am neurotic about these kinds of things.

Like, if it were available, I probably wouldn't even use it.

But the fact that it's something locked to a few-days window pre-release and I can never have it annoys me. If it's a few consumables - honestly don't care! But cosmetics are forever. I'm the kind of moron that spent a lot of money on Olympic Loot Boxes because I HAD TO HAVE EVERY ONE.

I am fully aware that this is dumb.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Digital Foundry's technical evaluation w/PS4 vs. PS4 Pro comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUFGpzu8Mss

Pretty high praise overall.

• Options
    ... Oh, no demo anymore?

It wasn't really a demo. It was a last minute network beta test in the guise of a "last chance demo". The real goal, from their end, was to test network stuff.

Well. I hope this Mark of the Conqueror thing they're offering isn't anything cool, because it's lame it's unattainable now.

I'm sure it's just starter gear that's a tiny bit better than what everyone else gets and will be outclassed quickly.

I think it's actually just cosmetic gear that lets you take advantage of the transmog system to ensure that you always have a stylish hat.

... Hope not, that would be the one kind of thing that would really piss me off.

Because of two pieces of cosmetic gear among hundreds of possible other options? You don't even know if you'll like them, they could be ugly, who knows. Seems like an unfortunate reason to be pissed off.

But the fact that it's something locked to a few-days window pre-release and I can never have it annoys me. If it's a few consumables - honestly don't care! But cosmetics are forever. I'm the kind of moron that spent a lot of money on Olympic Loot Boxes because I HAD TO HAVE EVERY ONE.

@Dac

I'm 100% with you.

I quit Destiny, and Bungee can fuck off and die, mostly because they locked me out of Year 1 "veteran" stuff over a technicality. Anyone who purchased the expansions was eligible. I purchased them but never downloaded them. Apparently the "download" was the trigger. They called attention to it once and then fucked off into oblivion, never to mention it again. They also have no technical support other than a forum that did not really suffice. Bottom line, it enraged me enough that I quit Destiny for good. And yeah it was all cosmetic I believe, which I probably would never have even bothered to use.

So you are not alone in this neurosis.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Hmm...spent more money than I was trying to this month so I'll probably have to pick between this and Horizon.

From everything I'm seeing Nioh looks like Dark Souls and Horizon looks like FarCry. So I guess it'll depend on whichever one I'm in the mood for.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I played exactly 5 minutes of those demos (just bad timing every single time), but watching people play it made me realize that this is GOTY contender. This should last me long enough till P5 comes out.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »

Short answer is very.

Rad.

I need some Masamune love though.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    ... Oh, no demo anymore?

Well from what I understand you can nab the appearance off of a revenant, which is left when someone dies in a location. It's the only way to actually get some other hats which are 100% exclusive to Japan because they are from Japanese magazines. However some of these also seem to have a low chance to drop the recipe for making at the blacksmith.
    Kadoken wrote: »

Short answer is very.

Rad.

I need some Masamune love though.

Gotta save something for the DLC, right?

Arthil on
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I clicked that video to see some of the game and ended up learning stuff.

But it was rad stuff.

• Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I've no doubt I'll talk myself into buying it at some point

Yeah so... I preordered this on PSN this morning at 1AM after watching a ton of videos on YouTube last night. The ways it isn't similar to Dark Souls really intrigued me. It really seems like Ninja Gaiden with some DS sprinkled into it. Two things that I really like the sound of are the stamina pulse mechanic, and also the mission structure. I never know where the heck I'm going in Souls games, so I'm happy to see a more traditional level setup.

I dunno, it looks tough but accessible and I'm excited to play it!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    People heap untold praise upon the original Dark Souls, but the truth of the matter is Ninja Gaiden was doing a lot of that stuff long before. The only reason people are comparing this game to Soulsborne titles is cause they are the ones that remained popular.

• Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    9.0 from Dan Tack at Game Informer. Had very high praise for it. So pumped for this, although I'll probably catch it on sale this summer as my backlog is harrowing.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Holy heck at the new locations in that video as well as the weapon variety. I'm not sure how that - clearly - broadsword is counted as a katana; maybe it's actually in the heavy weapon category (Axe, Hammer, etc). I'll try the game (on my base PS4) in Movie and Action mode and see how that all works. I don't know about anyone else, but I had no problem playing Dark Souls II/III in 30FPS on my PS3/4. Have to decide between image quality and performance, although with most games, after awhile, you just get used to the whizbang and just want a solid performance expeirence.

With Hitman Season 1 in my PS4, it's not going to be a long weekend. . .but it's going to be an anticipated Monday at least. Still in the air about digital or physical, as it doesn't look like RedBox is getting this game. . .which seems incredibly stupid.

And not for nothing, the Metacritic for the game is now at around Dark Souls 3. So at minimum it is as good as the most middling Souls to date. It is certainly the best reviewed Rogue-lite not developed by FromSoftware.

ED! on
  • Options
    Jim Sterling basically let loose his grumpy british man-seed all over the game and gave it a 10/10 which is shocking for a PS4 game coming from him.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I normally couldn't give two shits about what Jim Sterling thinks, but I suppose his wanking off at it can be considered a good thing. I admit, he's not the lowest on my least liked youtube personalities/reviewers, but he's pretty far down there, and if he likes it, it's a good sign for the game.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I was just watching some more vids about the game and learned about the "living weapon" super mode thingy.

Man... this game looks so fucking rad.

It's like if Dark Souls was made more for me.

Not that I dislike Souls games but I just like flashier combat and adding skills/new moves through progression.

• Options
    Man, I dunno why Jim gets so much hate...

Also, I just read the GameInformer review for this, and it made me feel pretty good about my decision to drop a preorder on it!

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular

Also, I just read the GameInformer review for this, and it made me feel pretty good about my decision to drop a preorder on it!

It's the 'he doesn't like the thing I like! Screw him!' mentality.

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Polygon's review is held up because they're total scrublords. Such scrubs, in fact, that they're getting protips from some Destructoid staff in the comments section

http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/2/14478898/nioh-review-polygon-where-is-ps4-playstation-4-sony-team-ninja

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »
    Polygon's review is held up because they're total scrublords. Such scrubs, in fact, that they're getting protips from some Destructoid staff in the comments section

http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/2/14478898/nioh-review-polygon-where-is-ps4-playstation-4-sony-team-ninja

The joke just writes itself at this point.

Out of all the review places of course it's Polygon that has to post this.

• Options

It's the 'he doesn't like the thing I like! Screw him!' mentality.

I don't know what he likes in general but I find him pretty insufferable.

• Options
    Beezel wrote: »

The joke just writes itself at this point.

Out of all the review places of course it's Polygon that has to post this.

To be fair, IGN also stated that they hadn't finished the game due to its difficulty. But yes, you could tell based on their 45 minutes of gameplay video that the folks at Polygon are/were terrible at Nioh.

• Options
    DCAarmusDCAarmus Registered User regular
    I thought I could stay strong after feeling iffy towards the demo, but the excellent reviews are pulling me in. Looks like I'm spending February killing demons.

• Options
    Nioh's available for pre-load now; if it didn't start automatically, start it up from your library.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Funny I went from full on for For Honor then I saw 10 minutes of Nioh and I promptly changed my pre-order from For Honor to Nioh . This game looks amazing. I just wish I can use my Xbone Elite controller and not the doodoo PS4 controller.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    The only keeping me on the fence about this game is hearing about some later bosses with giant health bars you pick away at. Both ninja gaiden and dark souls had moments off this where I knew what I had to do, I just didn't want to do it ten -twenty times in a row, hopefully just reviewers going in with low gear or something, but it'll probably make me wait to get it a little later

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    People heap untold praise upon the original Dark Souls, but the truth of the matter is Ninja Gaiden was doing a lot of that stuff long before. The only reason people are comparing this game to Soulsborne titles is cause they are the ones that remained popular.

Technically King's Field was doing it before NInja Gaiden, which is why people still attribute the birth of the genre to From, though Team Ninja absolutely, 100% had a hand in it (Ninja Gaiden was the first of the "ultra tough action games" I dumped a ton of time in to).

Really happy to see more games making good use of the PS4 Pro. With the new Boost Mode coming in system software 4.5 it's starting to actually be worth it to own a Pro.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options

Technically King's Field was doing it before NInja Gaiden, which is why people still attribute the birth of the genre to From, though Team Ninja absolutely, 100% had a hand in it (Ninja Gaiden was the first of the "ultra tough action games" I dumped a ton of time in to).

Really happy to see more games making good use of the PS4 Pro. With the new Boost Mode coming in system software 4.5 it's starting to actually be worth it to own a Pro.

Yeah, I'm super tempted to trade in both the Wii u and PS4 for a pro now.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular

I havent beem following the Pro. It burns me that its not an attachable upgrade.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Preloaded and ready to go. Just seeing the icon on my dashboard fills me with equal parts excitement and dread.

...Actually, it's more like 49% excitement 51% dread.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Cantido wrote: »

I havent beem following the Pro. It burns me that its not an attachable upgrade.

There is no effective technical way for that to ever have worked. PS4 Classics only have USB2 slots on them. Even if they were USB3, the PS4 Pro is an actual chip level upgrade, with two of the PS4 Classics's SoC chips laid side by side. No port or connection point the PS4 Classic has on it would have supported an upgrade like that.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling