As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So Scott Kurtz is leaving Acquisitions Inc

2»

• Options
    WordLustWordLust Fort Wayne, INRegistered User regular
    I always felt like Acq Inc was a collaboration between PA and WOTC.

For Penny Arcade, the event amounts to content for their audience, and it's proven to be very popular, which is a huge win. But that also means PA brings their audience to the event, which is a huge opportunity for WOTC. While they are all "just playing D&D", it is also an event where WOTC can promote new editions and demonstrate the strengths of new or existing ones. It's like a commercial for D&D, and it seems like it's been working quite well.

I think at heart the original D&D podcasts were sort of like the D&D equivalent of "Tycho Tries" where they were trying out a new edition with the creators, allowing Chris to answer all kinds of questions about the updates and so on, so it's possible that somehow that idea is built into some defined relationship between PA/WOTC regarding Acq Inc as a property.

It would also make absolute sense to me if it was possible for PA to do roleplaying type things without WOTC being officially involved (e.g. the Dark Sun podcast), but Jerry was like, no, we absolutely want our friends at WOTC to benefit from it if we can do that. I can 100% see that happening.

One of the lessons Kurtz learned from Khoo: "establish relationships".

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I thought it interesting that Scott said Acq Inc was a PA property, as I always thought it was WotC owned and controlled, with the original episodes all being posted on WotC's website and I feel like a few pax Q&A's had mike and jerry commenting that it was WotC who chose where and when Acq Inc met up.

Maybe with the latest Acq Inc podcasts being up on the PA site, the control over the property switched over to PA fully with WotC's sponsorship

That's an interesting point. Especially with how much they've talked about expanding Acq Inc this may very well be the case. Regardless I'm sure it's a great marketing tool for WotC and the more it gets out there the better it will be for them. As an example I was given a DnD Red Box when I was very young and then had it taken away by my mother (who was worried it would cause me to kill myself, thanks religion) so I really played. Years later, loving Penny Arcade I started listening to the podcasts and a few years after that I got involved in DnD Adventures. Even though I had never played I knew most of the rules and the basics of how to play because of the podcasts and videos.

acq inc definitely got me motivated enough to push my friends to form a D&D group

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    roxxormanroxxorman Registered User new member
    Here is the reason:

http://pvponline.com/

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I can understand why he's doing this actually, given the focus on protecting his own ideas, IP and being in control of the stuff he does personally. It brings to mind the problems The Trenches had, where it started as this interesting collaboration with a lot of potential between PA and PvP, but then got passed around to a bunch of others. It still has everyone's name on it, but wasn't actually being worked on by the original creators anymore and eventually just silently cratered into nothing. It's a good example of why you should maintain control of your ideas/properties.

Similarly, it's really hard to maintain enthusiasm for a project when it's owned by someone else and your contributions are more or less going towards them. I know that sounds really selfish, but there is such a difference between working on something that you entirely own and that's yours versus even your best friends project or idea. Table Titans, for example, I think is some of Scott's best work and is genuinely really good. If I was in his position, I would want to focus more on growing my own successful garden as well, as opposed to taking a lot of time (and it does take a lot of time to do other things, even if you might not think so) on other peoples.

He's probably equally happy to leave because Acquisitions Inc is going to survive with or without him at this point anyway. He's a guest on the show - not the reason it exists anymore.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I think the issue was that Acq. Inc became a lot more than just a thing they did at PAX for fun. It's became a huge deal, all on it's own. It's got a running series, it's intertwined with WoTC pretty heavily now as a marketing tool for them, it's a Real Product (tm) now. As Aegeri said, that starts to take a lot more time than just showing up at PAX and playing a game of D&D. While Scott readily admits he was well payed for his part in it, it still did little to advance his brand and his IP.

Also, I would bet money this is not the last time you see Binwin Bronzbottom interact with Acquisitions Inc.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Also, I would bet money this is not the last time you see Binwin Bronzbottom interact with Acquisitions Inc.

I was thinking the exact same thing. You know he'll have to come back for the occasional guest appearance. Would be cool to see the AqInc crew show up in Binwin's Minions as well.

• Options
    CalthaerCalthaer Registered User new member
    edited February 2017
    My wife and I started watching the PAX South game, recently posted on YouTube. We're only about an hour or so in (IIRC), so this isn't based on a full watch - but...

Scott / Binwin's absence is really noticeable. My wife and I are, so far, really disappointed. I'm going to finish this episode but I don't think I can sell her on that - my wife even says that, as far as she's concerned, "the show is gone / done / over." Ever since Scott announced his departure, our anticipation of upcoming AI events has been tempered. We watch the show because it is entertaining, and in our view, Scott was simply the funniest member of the troupe. His wealth of pop-culture references, the times he inserts slapstick humor into Binwin's moves (or the hypothetical gaffes where they interrupt Perkins' narrative with a "what-if" hilarious outcome that doesn't actually happen - falling down a ladder, springing a crazy trap, etc.), his table banter with Mike. Some of the long-running jokes in the series - like Patrick being able to get away with anything and Perkins letting him - were started when Scott complained about it.

Morgan Webb is simply not as entertaining; I'm not sure she's right for this show. During the opening sequence of PAX South 2017, where Chris weaves her into the story, it's painful to watch how many wide-open opportunities he throws to her to be...well, anything interesting - creative, hilarious, outrageous, you name it. Instead of going for the gold, she plays it safe and pulls out a prom gown for a disguise. It's not a terrible move, game-wise, but it's so safe and generic that it leaves almost no opportunity for the other, funnier members of the cast to play off it. Krahulik tries with his purple tuxedo move, but...

Wheaton was also ill-suited - not very funny, a bit of glory-hounding, too much focus on the mechanics (early on in the podcast he would waste time reading the full text of all the powers on a card). Morgan seems like a decent person with a much better disposition than Wil, but - just an example - sometimes the AI crew is at their best when they're riffing on flatulence and innuendo; doesn't quite seem like her thing. She doesn't seem the sort to bring out a really clever solution, like Krahulik did with his benign-transposition trick at the end of PAX Prime's latest event - saving Viari from a plummeting death (where Scott chimed in with: "You're good at D&D"). She doesn't seem to have a knack for wordplay like Rothfuss and Holkins do. What does she add? It seems almost insulting to throw her in simply because she's female - couldn't they find a female comedian? They seem to think they can take anyone who is "nerd-famous" and insert them as cogs into this machine and get the same results. No appreciation for how the group gels, what the interpersonal dynamic is, what each individual brings to enhance the table's atmosphere. It seems like WOTC / Penny Arcade don't really have a handle on what makes AI spectacular rather than merely average.

Calthaer on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    All that based on one third of one show

• Options
    CalthaerCalthaer Registered User new member
    edited February 2017
    Oh you're right - Morgan Webb has never been on the show before, so there's no other evidence to compare with...and all the great, enjoyable moments I mentioned were all from that one third of that one show.

Calthaer on
  • Options
    Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    Calthaer wrote: »
    My wife and I started watching the PAX South game, recently posted on YouTube. We're only about an hour or so in (IIRC), so this isn't based on a full watch - but...

Scott / Binwin's absence is really noticeable. My wife and I are, so far, really disappointed. I'm going to finish this episode but I don't think I can sell her on that - my wife even says that, as far as she's concerned, "the show is gone / done / over." Ever since Scott announced his departure, our anticipation of upcoming AI events has been tempered. We watch the show because it is entertaining, and in our view, Scott was simply the funniest member of the troupe. His wealth of pop-culture references, the times he inserts slapstick humor into Binwin's moves (or the hypothetical gaffes where they interrupt Perkins' narrative with a "what-if" hilarious outcome that doesn't actually happen - falling down a ladder, springing a crazy trap, etc.), his table banter with Mike. Some of the long-running jokes in the series - like Patrick being able to get away with anything and Perkins letting him - were started when Scott complained about it.

Morgan Webb is simply not as entertaining; I'm not sure she's right for this show. During the opening sequence of PAX South 2017, where Chris weaves her into the story, it's painful to watch how many wide-open opportunities he throws to her to be...well, anything interesting - creative, hilarious, outrageous, you name it. Instead of going for the gold, she plays it safe and pulls out a prom gown for a disguise. It's not a terrible move, game-wise, but it's so safe and generic that it leaves almost no opportunity for the other, funnier members of the cast to play off it. Krahulik tries with his purple tuxedo move, but...

Wheaton was also ill-suited - not very funny, a bit of glory-hounding, too much focus on the mechanics (early on in the podcast he would waste time reading the full text of all the powers on a card). Morgan seems like a decent person with a much better disposition than Wil, but - just an example - sometimes the AI crew is at their best when they're riffing on flatulence and innuendo; doesn't quite seem like her thing. She doesn't seem the sort to bring out a really clever solution, like Krahulik did with his benign-transposition trick at the end of PAX Prime's latest event - saving Viari from a plummeting death (where Scott chimed in with: "You're good at D&D"). She doesn't seem to have a knack for wordplay like Rothfuss and Holkins do. What does she add? It seems almost insulting to throw her in simply because she's female - couldn't they find a female comedian? They seem to think they can take anyone who is "nerd-famous" and insert them as cogs into this machine and get the same results. No appreciation for how the group gels, what the interpersonal dynamic is, what each individual brings to enhance the table's atmosphere. It seems like WOTC / Penny Arcade don't really have a handle on what makes AI spectacular rather than merely average.

I'm pretty sure they care a whole bunch about their property given how much they've talked about expanding it recently. It's cool if you don't like the direction or Morgan or whatever. That's totally up to you. I think it's unfair to say they don't have appreciation for group dynamics since you seem to enjoy Patrick who was a later edition to the group. Also I think most people don't have the word play skills of two accomplished writers.

BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Options
    WordLustWordLust Fort Wayne, INRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I thought Wheaton was fine as a roleplayer, and he had a good sense of humor, but he also kinda sometimes got carried away with himself and didn't know when to quit.

I like Morgan okay. I like her sense of humor and I like acq inc being occasionally a little bit less of a sausage fest. The only thing odd about Morgan is that she seems to sometimes not know what to do, almost like a person who has never played before. Like Chris will throw a huge opportunity at her and she'll just ask Chris what he thinks she should do (she has done that multiple times). It comes off a little bit odd and makes it feel like she is being carried a little bit. Like she is comfortable rolling dice but maybe less comfortable roleplaying (i.e. portraying a character), but it doesn't make me DISLIKE her. Everyone is a little different around the table. Or who knows? Maybe she just hasn't done this in a long time. That's fine.

I will be interested to see if we get some other interns rotating through the acq inc swing door, though!

WordLust on
  • Options
    RigamarawRigamaraw Registered User regular
    Calthaer wrote: »
    Oh you're right - Morgan Webb has never been on the show before, so there's no other evidence to compare with...and all the great, enjoyable moments I mentioned were all from that one third of that one show.

This is a bit late, but Morgan has absolutely been a part of Acq Inc before. While I tend to enjoy the banter between Scott and Mike, Scott can get carried away with the need to crack a joke constantly. The most recent example of this that I can think of is in the very beginning of the Christmas Special where Chris is setting the stage for the adventure, everyone has joked about Viari's new, evil hand a bunch, and Scott interjects with something about the Dragon Stone saying, "He got it at Jared's!" My point being that no one person carries the group, and everyone has moments where they accidentally detract from it, so while i'm going to miss Scott, I don't think his absence is going to destroy Acq Inc.

• Options
    DistantlurkerDistantlurker Registered User regular
    I think your sarcasm detector needs fresh batteries there, Master Rigs ^^

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I bet it isn't as simple as all that.

I would not be surprised if Acq Inc itself, as in the Mercenary band, wasn't owned in some way by WotC since it would be considered a part of the "setting" of Forgotten Realms.

But the characters, i.e. Omin Dran, Jim Darkmagic, etc are definitely Penny Arcade owned, as they appeared in comics long before Acq Inc was a thing. And because of this reason it might also be the case that Penny Arcade owns the rights to the other characters as well, Binwin and so forth, since those characters have also appeared in comics.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Everyone in Acq Inc owns their own characters

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    But the characters, i.e. Omin Dran, Jim Darkmagic, etc are definitely Penny Arcade owned, as they appeared in comics long before Acq Inc was a thing.
    (emphasis added)

I'm trying to avoid sarcasm and glibness here, but this is a staggeringly incorrect statement, and shows that pretty much the rest of what you wrote is informed by almost no actual basis in facts.

dennis on
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I believe the first comic appearance of any of the AI crew was Jim Darkmagic in Jim Darkmagic on June-15-2009.
    i-b68rDPm-2100x20000.jpg
    According to the wiki, the podcasts started in 2008.

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    I believe the first comic appearance of any of the AI crew was Jim Darkmagic in Jim Darkmagic on June-15-2009.
    i-b68rDPm-2100x20000.jpg
    According to the wiki, the podcasts started in 2008.

And, if you bother to listen to about the first 15-20 minutes of the first podcast, you'll actually hear each of them creating their character's backstory, naming them and Jerry inventing the concept and name of Acquisitions Incorporated.

Which you can take either way, as none of us ever see any of the contracts (nor should we). But much like tube's comment earlier about "All that based on one third of one show", the Lucascraft's comments above don't seem to be informed by actually having listened to/watched the show he/she is making comment on how it "definitely" works.

dennis on