As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Warframe] More like Fashionframe!

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    So, I'm downloading Warframe. I've got some experience in grindy games (mostly ARPG's like PoE and Diablo).

Any noob tips to avoid frustration?

Awww yisssss. Welcome to the fold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VuYCLelIO8

Enjoy this animated documentary of the typical new player's life cycle.

You may learn something.

More specific advice: Mods go in frames and guns to make their stats better. Some vital mods you start with are broken and suck in every way, so once you've unlocked trading, feel free to ask us for a care package of regular ones. We have hundreds to thousands of copies laying around.

The new player experience is pretty good nowdays. On the navigation screen, peruse the "junction" nodes to see what you should do to open up new planets, and complete missions to those junctions so that you can go inside them. Junctions also award quests for frames, guns, and mods.

Just about everything in the game is available for money dollars, but by no means do you need to spend money. You really don't. Even if the ingame costs look high. You'll get all the stuff as you go along.

What is worth spending your complimentary platinum on are weapon and frame slots, so that you can keep more at once.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    kralizecckralizecc Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    To note, I'm not trying to stir up drama, I simply think there's a better way to accurately reflect the activity of the guild versus its size, which does have mechanical implications.

The D3 clan does just fine with a rotating roster as people come and go, and that's not really any different (we see bumps in activity with quests and frames, they see it with Seasons). I've been in and out of that one (phrasing) a number of times over the years.

I respect that I may be proposing an unpopular option.

I mean, if I was MIA for months (let alone quarters), I'd understand being removed to make space, especially if there was an option to join back up when I returned.

Also, as I noted there are indeed some people who've put a fair deal of time in, but DudeX that is MR2 and hasn't logged on in a year and a half probably isn't coming back, and they're definitely not contributing to the clan.

Not to be belligerent on the matter, but nobody has given a reason *why* we need to keep people who have been missing for over 2 months, with the (again) caveat that people who take breaks are always welcome back. We could get into the 90'ish player range and still have people who haven't logged on in 2 months or so. That seems like a pretty generous barrier, no more or less arbitrary than 3 months or whatever.

If we had 101+ people logging in within the last few days, or even a week, fair enough, we might just be an edge case, but just because we're getting research done doesn't mean we aren't actively making things harder on ourselves than they need to be.

For many people, a clan or whatever the group is called, in whatever game, is not simply a business proposition. For me the greater concern, by far, is that it's a virtual family, a place you can come and not be worried about being ejected, having access to resources, players, or socialization. Everything else is second to that, at best. (resource costs being so far removed for anything important that I wouldn't even consider it).

That said, I'm not in the PA clan, I started the alliance so @Darmak and I had a communal chat area and could form groups with folks we knew with more ease. My own tiny clan has every research done, almost always as soon as it's released. A not uncommon thing for me to do when I see folks complaining about having research done, is offer to invite them briefly so they can purchase it from my dojo, then they get re-invited to the pa clan. It works pretty well, though it doesn't help with the requirements the (to me, useless) achievements some events have for larger clans.

In warframe on PC my name is severenn
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    kralizecc wrote: »
    For many people, a clan or whatever the group is called, in whatever game, is not simply a business proposition. For me the greater concern, by far, is that it's a virtual family, a place you can come and not be worried about being ejected, having access to resources, players, or socialization. Everything else is second to that, at best. (resource costs being so far removed for anything important that I wouldn't even consider it).

That said, I'm not in the PA clan, I started the alliance so Darmak and I had a communal chat area and could form groups with folks we knew with more ease. My own tiny clan has every research done, almost always as soon as it's released. A not uncommon thing for me to do when I see folks complaining about having research done, is offer to invite them briefly so they can purchase it from my dojo, then they get re-invited to the pa clan. It works pretty well, though it doesn't help with the requirements the (to me, useless) achievements some events have for larger clans.

I feel this mischaracterizes the point I'm trying to make.

People who haven't been online in 2-3 months aren't exactly driving the community. People who haven't been online in 1-3 years might as well not exist.

I'm not suggesting we trim down to the 30 most active people here. As I've said, the most recent 100 would still have people who haven't logged on in 60-70 days. That's not exactly a short period of time.

There is nothing wrong with taking breaks from the game. As I've noted, I take a couple quarters off here and there myself (not intentionally, we all just end up with other things to do now and then).

And as I also noted, go look through that list. A lot of players are like rank 2-6 or so. A significant number of them were likely the kind that joined, played for a week, and abandoned it, as we all do with games that never end.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options

That said, I'm not in the PA clan, I started the alliance so Darmak and I had a communal chat area and could form groups with folks we knew with more ease. My own tiny clan has every research done, almost always as soon as it's released. A not uncommon thing for me to do when I see folks complaining about having research done, is offer to invite them briefly so they can purchase it from my dojo, then they get re-invited to the pa clan. It works pretty well, though it doesn't help with the requirements the (to me, useless) achievements some events have for larger clans.

I feel this mischaracterizes the point I'm trying to make.

People who haven't been online in 2-3 months aren't exactly driving the community. People who haven't been online in 1-3 years might as well not exist.

I'm not suggesting we trim down to the 30 most active people here. As I've said, the most recent 100 would still have people who haven't logged on in 60-70 days. That's not exactly a short period of time.

There is nothing wrong with taking breaks from the game. As I've noted, I take a couple quarters off here and there myself (not intentionally, we all just end up with other things to do now and then).

And as I also noted, go look through that list. A lot of players are like rank 2-6 or so. A significant number of them were likely the kind that joined, played for a week, and abandoned it, as we all do with games that never end.

That's what I was trying to address. A clan is for those folks who havn't logged in in ages, as well as active folks, years or months of inactivity don't make it less important for them to be there unless you're speaking from the perspective of resources and achievements. The importance of a clan, to me, disregards how long someone has been inactive, or what they've contributed. The clan exists for them, not the other way around.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    So, I'm downloading Warframe. I've got some experience in grindy games (mostly ARPG's like PoE and Diablo).

1. Your rifle is your friend. The Burston and Braton (the Braton is way better than its MK-1 newbie clone) rifles are two of the most reliable and multifunctional early guns available to you. The Karak is fairly easy to build too. The early shotguns tend to be so-so and you should stay away from bows and sniper rifles until you have a hang of the game (well, a single bow can be good for sneaky-spy missions. Go for the Paris)
    2. There are some really good early secondaries and melee weapons as well. Vasto Pistol is my personal favorite, but there are other nice guns too. In general, stay away from the automatic guns since you don't have the mods to make them effective (they eat up ammo and don't pack a lot of damage per shot). The Lex is a handcannon without compare early on, so check it out relatively soon, but it shoots super slowly (it's a love or hate thing). As far as melee weapons go the Amphis and Dual Heat Swords are great.
    3. Ask a friend (like one of our Space Knights of Arcadia members) if they want to give you a Hornet Strike, Point Blank and Serration (for Secondaries, Shotguns and Rifles respectively). These are hard to get early, but you really want them on every gun.
    4. Don't pick Mag for your starter warframe. She's a bit more complicated than Excalibur and Volt and she's WAY easier to get than the other two. Volt is a standoff frame with a ranged electrocute, a portable shield, speed boost and a respectable nuke ability. Excalibur is a powerful meleeframe with some crazy AoE abilities and a powerful Ultimate (although he doesn't come into his full right until you have Natural Talent, a mod not availble until the void, which reduces casting time).
    5. The Warframe Wiki is super comprehensive and a great source for information on pretty much every warframe topic.

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    That's what I was trying to address. A clan is for those folks who havn't logged in in ages, as well as active folks, years or months of inactivity don't make it less important for them to be there unless you're speaking from the perspective of resources and achievements. The importance of a clan, to me, disregards how long someone has been inactive, or what they've contributed. The clan exists for them, not the other way around.

So by that standard, when we hit 300 members, we should upgrade to a Moon Clan?

Also, this weights members who have been active and chatty and contributed to groups and resources the same as "someone who is MR1, logged in once, joined, and never returned".

No, trimming the latter wouldn't put us sub 100, but there are shades of grey present compared to the black and white I feel you're expressing.

Because I'm going through the list now in Google Docs, and there are some people who don't actually have a Mastery Rank. As in, I'm not sure they even completed the Tutorial.

Forar on
  • Options

Also, this weights members who have been active and chatty and contributed to groups and resources the same as "someone who is MR1, logged in once, joined, and never returned".

No, trimming the latter wouldn't put us sub 100, but there are shades of grey present compared to the black and white I feel you're expressing.

Because I'm going through the list now in Google Docs, and there are some people who don't actually have a Mastery Rank. As in, I'm not sure they even completed the Tutorial.

We should definitely not upgrade to Moon clan. That's the worst possibility. There is plenty of fat to trim down to keep us in Mountain Clan size, but trimming down to Storm would require some painful choices which I don't think we should make until forced to by content.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    So, back in the day when I played warframe, i quit because it was well, not challenging, and just grinding super easy missions over and over. Does the game actually have some bite to it now? or is it still grinding easy stuff (i'm fine with grinding, i just prefer it to be challenging so it's fun)

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    We should definitely not upgrade to Moon clan. That's the worst possibility. There is plenty of fat to trim down to keep us in Mountain Clan size, but trimming down to Storm would require some painful choices which I don't think we should make until forced to by content.

And I agree.

But that's the point I'm making. People who haven't been online in a year or two or more objectively aren't active parts of the community.

The notion of never trimming ever that kralizecc is proposing either leads to that, or recognizing that there is a reasonable line somewhere that we're not heavily mechanically impacted.

And to be clear, I am onboard with the suggestion DbZ made, and we'll see how things go. A couple of months and/or us hitting 300 and starting to trim the offline folks and/or the Nemesis thing seeing how our activity changes will be useful.

Forar on
  • Options

Yes, that's what I would do, I don't care if my friend is mastery 0, or has played for hours daily since they got in the beta. It's so easy to get things, and the grind is the gameplay for the most part, that those concerns are nonsensical compared to the import of them already being in the group when/if they do log back in. It's a place for them, not a job they may lose for lack of participation.

Though keep in mind, I'm not in your clan, and am only answering your statement that nobody has given you a reason why some folks would rather not kick people after long periods of inactivity. To me, the inactivity is a non issue, them having a place already formed and functioning when they log back in, if they do, is the only real important issue.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    How much of an increase in cost is your current status? The PS4 clan is currently ghost level and it is pretty easy to research everything with just a few of us active.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    furlion wrote: »
    How much of an increase in cost is your current status? The PS4 clan is currently ghost level and it is pretty easy to research everything with just a few of us active.

A Ghost Clan is the smallest clan possible, it uses the baseline amount of resources for research.

A Mountain Clan requires 30 times as much. Which we're doing with maybe 1/4 to 1/3 the possible active folks.

Which is totally impressive and laudable of members being so generous to keep up.

Forar on
  • Options
    Wait, kralizecc, you're not in the PA clan?

How big is the one that you're in, out of curiosity?

Because a Ghost carrying 7 missing members is not remotely the same as a Mountain carrying 200 missing members.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular

1. Save your beginner plat for warframe and weapon slot. You can start getting cosmetics once you're sure you want to invest the money or time (more on that later) in the game, and slots are the ONLY gameplay related content that isn't directly grindable in some way.

2. Follow the nodes, they are your primary way of progressing through worlds.

3. Always be aware of alerts/invasions you can participate in and their rewards. Credits and Endo might be worth your time at first until you get to places you can easily farm for it, but things like mods you don't have, blueprints for catalysts/reactors/forma (used for upgrading) alternate helms for your favorite frames, and Nitan (a resource used in crafting) that you should always look out for and jump on when given the chance.

4. Do not get attached to your starting weapons, the weapons you replace them with, and likely the weapons you get after that. The best weapons (i.e. the ones that scale to higher level content with the least amount of hassle) require you to reach a certain Mastery Rank, or MR, and since you increase your MR by leveling up equipment for the first time, you are going to go through not-ideal weapons for a while before you can get your hands on some of the first good ones. Warframes, on the other hand, is pretty much all about preference; baring a couple of fringe cases, all frames are at least good at something, and even the shunned ones (like Limbo) have niche uses that they can fill as well, if not better, than more popular frames.

5. On the starter frames, Excalibur is a great, well rounded 'frame with an excellent CC skill, reasonably tough and, until it was nerfed, one of the best ultimate abilities in the game. Mag is a caster, with a focus on battlefield control and IMO since her rework a tad too complicated for a new player. Volt is caster-lite, not as tough as Excal but not as ability dependent as Mag, with a speed-boosting skill that makes him the favorite of some PA'ers and some really fun abilities, like a electric barrier that can block weapons fire which you can shoot through for extra crit chance or pick up like a riot shield and an Ult which turns enemies into tesla coils that shoot electricity at other enemies. I'd pick between Excal or Volt, and this is from someone who did Mag as their started (pre-rework though, but still)

6. Build yourself a sentinel when you can. Sentinels are little floaty companions that follow you around in the missions. The most desirable thing they do is automatically pick up loot within a certain radius around you (freeing you from having to walk over and pick it up yourself) but also provide addition firepower (of... varying quality) and additional bonuses that are unique to each one. Most popular ones are Carrier, which increases your max ammo and converts ammo you pick up to work for your equipped weapon, and Helios, which will scan any enemy that does not have a completed codex entry as long as you have the scanners for it. Since the scanning is typically for completionist sake, you should get a Carrier as soon as you can.

7. The premium currency, Platinum, is tradable (unless it's the plat you start out with) That means if you really want a rare mod or (tradable) weapon or warframe part that noone in the alliance can help you with, you can probably find someone willing to trade plat for it. It also means you can sell any rare parts or mods that you don't need to other players for plat and get all the slots and cosmetics you want without having to pay a dime of RL money for it. Note that on top of mods, only Prime weapon parts, uncrafted Prime Warframe and Archwing parts, Prime BPs, unused syndicate weapons, Vandal/Wraith weapon parts and BPs, Arcanes, Ayatans and Kubrow/Kavat imprints are tradable, everything else (including crafting resources, non-prime weapon and warframe parts and BPs and live companions) have to be earned on your own.

8. On the subject of Mods, a few of this play this game A Lot and have tons of duplicates of mods that as a new player you probably really want but don't have yet. If there is some mod you heard of that you really want, ask us about it! If we don't have hundreds (yes, hundreds) of it ourselves we can probably point you towards the best way of getting one.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    You're missing the point I think. If I wanted a piece of research I couldn't easily get myself in a timely manner, I'd swap over to darmaks clan and get it, or just wait until I could scrounge the costs. The resources aren't important, is what I'm trying to communicate, compared to the folks in the clan, inactive for a year or days.
    My clan is tiny, It was moon clan for a while, just because building those rooms in the dojo was something entertaining to do, but I reduced it half a year or so ago to the smallest, as I only have 9 members and I'm the only active player. I made a second account to help facilitate contributing to other dojo's research, I invite my placeholder account to my clan, quit on my main account, join someone elses dojo, give them the 20k mutagen samples or whatever, then swap back to mine with an invite from my parked account.
    Resources are easy to get, and there are so many workarounds for it that the issue is not the size of the clan, how long it takes to generate resources for research, or any of the like. If you're still thinking in those terms in replies to these points, you're missing the point I was trying to make.
    The only important factor for me, and why I would rather stay a moon clan than kick folks for better resource managment, is because the clan exists for them, not the other way around.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

Well, for starters, the gear leveling system is kinda weird. Your guns, your melee weapons, your pets, and your warframes all level up, from level zero up to level 30. However, by itself, leveling doesn't increase the stats of your weapons, and while it does increase the health and shields of your warframes and pets and at certain levels upgrades your warframes' abilties, they'll still have a lot of room to improve. This is because the main purpose of leveling is to increase your mod capacity on that piece of gear.
    Modding is the gear upgrade system in this game. Your constraints with modding are threefold: what mods you have, the amount of mod slots on the piece of gear (eight for weapons, ten for frames and pets), and the amount of mod energy you have for that piece of gear, which is increased by leveling it up. Each mod you slot in takes up some of that mod energy, and if you don't have enough energy left for a mod, then you can't slot it.
    Mods themselves can also be upgraded, because to be clear, this game is an infinite fractal of upgrade systems. Each upgrade increases the energy it takes to slot it by one, but it increases the potency of the mod's effect by an amount equal to the effect of the mod when unupgraded, and the lowest energy cost an unupgraded mod can have is 2, so upgrading always makes a mod more energy efficient. Try to have a few upgraded mods on a gun instead of a lot of unupgraded ones.
    For now, you're not gonna need to worry about running out of mod slots on a piece of gear. You'll run out of mod energy well before then, and it's only once you've gotten up to the endgame that you'll get some more ways to increase your mod energy and decrease mod energy cost that it'll be possible for you to fill every mod slot with upgraded mods.
    If you want to see how much a mod will increase your DPS without having to do a lot of math or other stuff relating to planning out your modding, you can use warframe-builder.com.

Unrelated to modding, people will tell you that the Lex is good and you should get it. These people are wrong.

• Options
    Getting the ~200k Cryotic for the Elytron part was kind of rough, but managble.
    But holy hell, we can't let it grow into a Moon clan.
    The next Elytron-equivalent research would have cost 645,000 cryotic O_O.
    Sure. If we still only had 100 actives then it would be 64k Cryotic per member....which is like 30(?) hours of farming.

• Options
    As an aside, the Wiki page for clans says this;
    Clans cannot be downsized while an in-game event is in progress

So if we find that being a Mountain rather than a Storm is actively detrimental, we won't be able to change it until after the event.

Just something to keep in mind. I am actually excited by the prospect of further events that are reflected by the clan. The size may not be a massive detriment now, but that doesn't mean it'll always be that way.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Getting the ~200k Cryotic for the Elytron part was kind of rough, but managble.
    But holy hell, we can't let it grow into a Moon clan.
    The next Elytron-equivalent research would have cost 645,000 cryotic O_O.
    Sure. If we still only had 100 actives then it would be 64k Cryotic per member....which is like 30(?) hours of farming.

Yeah, if we're honest right now it's only when DE drops something with a massive research cost, like the Hema and it's 150k mutagen samples on Mountain tier, that it gets really bad.

Otherwise the 100 or so of us that play semi-regularly can usually manage getting it done. Maybe not within the first week, sometimes not even the first month, but eventually.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Yeah research requirements scale linearly with clan size, so anything less than 100% activity and contribution from members means everything takes exponentially longer as clan size increases.

We're at something like 40 members who have logged on in the last week. Then consider that even if someone is active and playing every few days, they might not even be capable of contributing at anywhere close to the same level. A baby-faced MR3 is not going to be able to contribute even 20% of what an MR20 can farm up.

You can say, "but farming resources is so easy!" but it is very, very different for a Mountain clan than a Moon clan.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    Also if anybody wants to trade any of the Meridian/Hexis/Suda melee weapons for any of the Perrin/Loka/Veil ones, hit me up. I'm almost maxed on right-side reputation.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Yeah research requirements scale linearly with clan size, so anything less than 100% activity and contribution from members means everything takes exponentially longer as clan size increases.

We're at something like 40 members who have logged on in the last week. Then consider that even if someone is active and playing every few days, they might not even be capable of contributing at anywhere close to the same level. A baby-faced MR3 is not going to be able to contribute even 20% of what an MR20 can farm up.

You can say, "but farming resources is so easy!" but it is very, very different for a Mountain clan than a Moon clan.

Basically just tossing hours of play on a dead account graveyard. Going up a tier would be an even more impressive monument to impracticality.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Add to that, we don't all necessarily have a friendly clan with full research completed. We *ARE* the clan with most of the research done for some of us (at least for me).

... I am realizing this pragmatic attitude is probably why I'm the one who boots people from the Galaxy of Heroes guild as well, but to be fair that game *very much* expects 50 members with X level of participation per day or you struggle to make progress. :-P

But we should strive not to present it as a binary, because it's not. I'm not saying we should kick people who don't log in for more than 25 hours here. That said, who remembers Evernothing? Or NinjaxPup-E? or LehmanCM? They haven't logged on in over 2 years, and apparently don't even have MR 0 somehow.

The realities of running a massive clan/guild/whatever for a gaming forum based group that has tens of thousands of visitors per day is not quite the same thing as having a personal guild of 1 (and an alt).

Also, I found this;
    Reducing Clan Tier

After your tier changes, you will notice reduced costs for room and decoration builds and any active research projects will have their resource requirements updated to reflect the new tier. Please note that any overages you spent on research at your previous tier, will not be refunded when you reduce your tier. There is a cool down of 60 days in between tier changes after each use of this option.

So our Hema research would go from 10k/150k to 10k/50k, assuming that is true/correct. (edit: numbers corrected)

Not that Hema Research is the end-all/be-all of the game, simply noting an advantage to the move that would apply right now.

Forar on
  • Options
    As an example when I logged on the other day and went to the dojo and saw the Hema requirements and dumped literally every mutagen sample I'd ever collected since I started playing three years ago. It was something like 8,400. It barely moved the bar.

• Options
    The realities of running a massive clan is exactly the same as those of running a person guild, in the ways that are significantly relevant to me. I have done both, for many years ( I am old), the costs of resources aren't the prime, or even an important motivation for my gaming groups by and large. I also play galaxy of heroes, in a small clan full of inactive members... we don't accomplish much, but it's fun.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    I think I've got 1k or so tucked away that I'll toss into that grinder.

Edit: nope, 100'ish. Really thought I had more laying around.

Also we're actually around 10k, so apparently DbZ was the only one that has thus far been able to dump a bunch in there.

Forar on
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    I'm reminded that I haven't tossed in fuck-all for ages. I should go empty out what I picked up. The Hema is cool and more people should get to play with it.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I dunno, as someone who isn't in the clan I think that if one of those people who hasn't been on in 1-3 years comes back can't they just ask what happened be told they were kicked to save space but then get a re-invite right away if they are going to be playing again? Doesn't have to be a big deal. It's not like they are accruing passive benefits over time that they'd miss out on.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

There are hidden systems all over the place, I have run into many randos who are rank 30 in all their gear across multiple pieces of gear who have never ranked up (still rank 0?!?) in just the last couple of days, for example. The rank up indication is quite subtle - a flashing progress bar under your name in the pause menu. Rank up! Once you have earned enough mastery (basically leveled up enough gear, warframes, weapons, sentinels, archwings, companions, etc.) you can do a test to move to the next rank - they start off easy and get harder-ish (rank 9 is the first real difficulty spike, and can bug out if you fail, rank 11 is far and away more difficult than all the preceding tests). You can attempt to qualify for rank up only once per day, but you can practice the exam at a relay with Cephalon Simaris (they're in a long curved corridor to your right as you enter his area).

There are a set of weapons available for credits only (I.e. You don't even have to build them) that you should probably focus on first up because it is much easier than getting all the resources and researching. These are the MK-1 weapons - Paris, braton, Kunai, furis, furax, the bo, strun; the lex and the lato; the regular furax, strun and braton. That said, there are some great, cheap and useful early game weapons you can make and could focus on - the braton, the boltor, heat swords, the grakata, the tonkor, the galatine.

Bows are great for large damage spikes and are perfectly silent. The charge time can be a massive detriment on some missions though for most of the early content I had no issues there.

Don't put any orokin catalysts or forma into your melee gear until you near the finish of the main storyline quests (I.e. You complete the quest The Second Dream)

Early on, in particular, the main way to increase your survivability is with the mod Redirection which increases your shields. Later in armour and health are generally more important as certain kinds of damage bypass shields.

You can grind the warframe rhino pretty easily from the boss of Venus, between Rhino's iron skin and Excalibur's radial blind and exalted blade you should have a frame that is the answer to a huge chunk of the solar system and its bosses.

You can build ciphers for cheap and are generally helpful for pushing through spy missions once the hacks become more complicated (but eventually they'll only be panic buttons as even top level hacks become second nature)

The junctions have particular sets of tasks to perform before you can do the junction fight and unlock the solar rail to get to the next planet. They're your immediate priority for the most part. You can have a higher level player "taxi" you around to unlock all the things faster, and, provided you have access to a planet under your own steam any mission you complete will be unlocked regardless of the position it takes in the path. You should still go back and unlock all the missions to ensure you have maximum access to all alerts and such as time goes on.

You can fast travel in relays from the menu

YMMV but as a new player (I started about 2 weeks ago, and am now in the endgame - i.e. raids and sorties and min maxing and crazy builds and collecting) I am of the opinion that the Mark of the Kubrow quest line is one you should put off for a while. Kubrow (dog companions) are both cool and powerful, but they are quite a pain to get started (requiring a couple of rare resources that are difficult to get early on*) and have an upkeep and don't match the unparalleled easy of use and usefulness of a Carrier with Vacuum and Ammo Case.

Argon Crystals degenerate at a rate of 1/day (* these are the rare resources I mention above) so if you have them, use them.

You can trade once you hit rank two

You should keep an eye out and/or ask your PA fellows for the following mods to begin with:
    • Serration, Hornet Strike, Pressure Point, Point Blank - increased rifle damage, pistol damage, melee damage, shotgun damage
    • Cryo Rounds, Hellfire, Infected Clip, Stormbringer - added elemental damage mods for rifles

There are similar elemental mods for your melee and pistol weapons but you should be able to rely entirely on your primary for a lot of the early game and then by the time the added elemental damage mods are super vital for the other weapons types you will have picked up many of them anyway.

There are syndicates/factions. Each faction is allied with another and hates two others, there are a few particular combinations you can utilise to get the maximum number of factions moving in a positive direction (4 of the 6) - in general they are the left three (Steel Meridian, Arbiters of Hexis Cephalon Suda) and Red Veil or the right three (Perrin Sequence, Red Veil and New Loka) and Steel Meridian. Depending on which side you prefer you should start with Steel Meridian (left side + red veil) or Red Veil (right side + steel meridian). Alternatively, you could say "F that noise" and just do 1 or 2 factions (there are some that cancel each other out, but you can, otherwise make things work though it would be pushing shit up hill) which is faster but less lucrative in the longer term. Syndicates unlock at Rank 3.

The highest Mastery Rank requirement at present is 13 - for Galatine Prime and Tigris Prime.

Prime gear can only be acquired by relics and trading, not all prime gear is available all the time, the stuff that isn't available at the moment commands a premium in trades.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    Dual heatswords please.
    Just calling it "heatswords" might make people think that the Heatsword is easy to make. It's not, unless you get Jupiter Taxi, since it requires Neural Sensors.

Neural sensors are the MAIN bitch with the new system for newbies. You don't get them until Jupiter...which means that you can't craft a new frame until you reach jupiter (or taxi, or buy the resources or whatever). So until you reach jupiter there is no new frames, no heatsword, no forma, no reactor.

When the game started up Jupiter used to be easy to reach. Just get to earth and there you had Saturnus, Jupiter and Mars within easy reach. Now its considerably tougher.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    So, back in the day when I played warframe, i quit because it was well, not challenging, and just grinding super easy missions over and over. Does the game actually have some bite to it now? or is it still grinding easy stuff (i'm fine with grinding, i just prefer it to be challenging so it's fun)
    @taliosfalcon They've tried to introduce more challenging stuff, but it still kinda follows the usual rule of warframe that it's either easy or kinda bad.

cB557 on
  • Options
    DreadBertDreadBert Registered User regular
    Out of curiosity, is there a reason we have people who haven't logged on in 1-3 years in the PC clan? Getting an invite for those who return is easily enough, and it seems that we're roughly half a Storm clan with another 2 Storms worth of missing members.

Granted, the hardcore devoted folks have got most of the research done anyway over the years, but it seems like our actual activity would more accurately be reflected by trimming the missing member list and dropping a tier down.

Edit: at a glance, our 100 most recent logins would stretch back 1.5 months. Culling at the 1 month mark would leave reasonable space for pending invitations, or just done as needed.

Warframe has a crapload of folks that step away for upwards of a half year so it's not surprising.

Also, seems a little iffy to drop folks that contributed in the past for the convince of a few in the current crowd.

• Options
    Getting down to 100 would have people that haven't logged in within ~60 days. I agree that's a little short, but it'd be easy enough to boot the farthest back person to let someone new in. The Diablo 3 clan does this all the time, due to the harsher restrictions on players and demand for those slots.

Also, I didn't run the stats, but a lot of those players are like rank 2-5. I agree that there are surely some regulars who come and go every couple quarters when new quests/frames drop, but a lot of them are also new to the game who seem to have tried it a couple times, lost interest, and never returned.

It'd probably take some active pruning/instating efforts by those with the capacity to do so.

Just took a look; trimming to 100 would (barely) fall outside the 2 month mark. There are some 10-16'ish MR (players who've put considerable time in, for sure) but a *lot* of the MIA ones are in the single digits, weighing (at a glance) more in the 2-6 range.

Keep in mind that MR is not a solid metric for old players as there was not any real point past MR8 if memory serves. A goodly number of folks just played what they wanted and did not focus on pumping MR.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    DreadBert wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, is there a reason we have people who haven't logged on in 1-3 years in the PC clan? Getting an invite for those who return is easily enough, and it seems that we're roughly half a Storm clan with another 2 Storms worth of missing members.

Granted, the hardcore devoted folks have got most of the research done anyway over the years, but it seems like our actual activity would more accurately be reflected by trimming the missing member list and dropping a tier down.

Edit: at a glance, our 100 most recent logins would stretch back 1.5 months. Culling at the 1 month mark would leave reasonable space for pending invitations, or just done as needed.

Warframe has a crapload of folks that step away for upwards of a half year so it's not surprising.

Also, seems a little iffy to drop folks that contributed in the past for the convince of a few in the current crowd.

Culling due to inactivity is pretty much standard procedure in MMOs though. It won't come as a surprise to anybody if they ever return and they're not in the clan any longer. And, if they ever DO return, it's super easy for someone to just reinvite them. It's not like y'all would be stomping on puppies or anything; it's just routine clan/guild housekeeping.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options

And I agree.

But that's the point I'm making. People who haven't been online in a year or two or more objectively aren't active parts of the community.

The notion of never trimming ever that kralizecc is proposing either leads to that, or recognizing that there is a reasonable line somewhere that we're not heavily mechanically impacted.

And to be clear, I am onboard with the suggestion DbZ made, and we'll see how things go. A couple of months and/or us hitting 300 and starting to trim the offline folks and/or the Nemesis thing seeing how our activity changes will be useful.

Not active? Hoe do you define it, a fair number of folks still hit the threads and chat to see what's up in the game. God knows I did when I've gone on 6+ month hiatus several times over the years.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Easy. If they haven't show up in game for ages, they're not active in the game. Which is where the guild is. What does being in a guild matter to someone who isn't playing? Being here and chatting it up is entirely unaffected by that.

If someone wants back in the treehouse, back in they go. Not like it takes a trial by combat and three references.

Although, now that I think about it, a sort of thunder dome acceptance policy has its own charm.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Two frames enter! One frame leaves!

• Options
    edited February 2017
    In brief;

- I'm not suggesting 'dropping' anyone permanently (as in, they're never allowed back). People removed due to inactivity would be welcome back if/when they came back. As I said, I myself occasionally take multi-month or multi-quarter periods away from the game. Asking if there is clan space and a re-invite is not a big deal. The Diablo 3 guild system is vastly more restrictive and in much higher demand. They cull/re-add people all the time. And that game doesn't even have mechanical ties to Guild participation, at least not on the scale this one does (low'ish bar as that might be).

- A fair point about MR, but I wasn't proclaiming it the sole manner of determining who was 'worthy'. Simply that someone who hasn't logged on in a year or two AND is barely even able to trade (read: MR 2) probably isn't a devout and dedicated member of the game or clan/community. Let's be real; few regular members are going to stay in the starter MR's for long if just to broaden their available gear. How do they know they're sticking with what they enjoy if they have access to a tiny fraction of what's even available?

- As Basil said; if they come back to the game and want an invite, they ask, and we toss it their way.

- It's moot. DbZ is one of the two active Warlords, and would rather not take these steps. And I agreed with that. I'm happy to debate the pros and cons in general, but it's worth noting I was promoted to a level where I could happily go cull a good hundred people right now and I haven't touched the list. I've simply noted that if our clan size proves detrimental in an event, we're stuck with it until the event is over. And yes, I do think this will be worth looking at again prior to the next event if it's not for a few months.

Forar on
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    The rank up indication is quite subtle - a flashing progress bar under your name in the pause menu. Rank up!

This actually just changed! When you've got a test available, you get an Alert-style pop-up in the corner of the screen that keeps popping up, and it adds an item to your Escape menu at the top to take your test, if you're in your lander.

It's now painfully obvious when you're ready for a rank test.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    The rank up indication is quite subtle - a flashing progress bar under your name in the pause menu. Rank up!

This actually just changed! When you've got a test available, you get an Alert-style pop-up in the corner of the screen that keeps popping up, and it adds an item to your Escape menu at the top to take your test, if you're in your lander.

It's now painfully obvious when you're ready for a rank test.

On PC maybe

We on the console master race are a little bit behind

because there is no justice in the world

This discussion has been closed.