As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Better get a babysitter cause we've got two tickets to the [GUN] show...

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Turkson wrote: »
    I bought a Glock 19 yesterday. I'm not sure what else to say.

I've been torn between one of those, a Sig P320, and a S&W M&P9. It'll probably come down to which one feels best in my hand when I go to my handgun class in a couple weeks.

Personally, I've only ever fired 3 handguns:

HK45 (full-sized, range rental) - fired wonderfully, recoil wasn't nearly as severe as I thought it might've been, loved it (not in love with the price, though)
    Magnum Research Baby Desert Eagle II (compact, first handgun I've owned) - it felt good in my hand, slide felt overly stiff, not a bad shooting experience
    Beretta PX4 Storm (full-size) - it's a perfect fit in my wee little hands, slide is super easy to operate, shoots great...definitely love this one

It should be noted, however, that I have pretty small hands. Like, I wear men's small latex gloves when I'm working on field specimens that need to be handled sterile-y kind of small. I spent a good two weeks running back and forth from Cabela's to get hand's on time with various choices (paying close attention to how accessible the safety/decocker without moving my hands out of a firing grip, ease of engaging the slide release after loading a new magazine, how heavy/light the trigger is, overall weight of the gun, etc...). Just something to bear in mind (if you didn't already have a checklist of things to consider, that is).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

I've been torn between one of those, a Sig P320, and a S&W M&P9. It'll probably come down to which one feels best in my hand when I go to my handgun class in a couple weeks.

HK45 (full-sized, range rental) - fired wonderfully, recoil wasn't nearly as severe as I thought it might've been, loved it (not in love with the price, though)
    Magnum Research Baby Desert Eagle II (compact, first handgun I've owned) - it felt good in my hand, slide felt overly stiff, not a bad shooting experience
    Beretta PX4 Storm (full-size) - it's a perfect fit in my wee little hands, slide is super easy to operate, shoots great...definitely love this one

It should be noted, however, that I have pretty small hands. Like, I wear men's small latex gloves when I'm working on field specimens that need to be handled sterile-y kind of small. I spent a good two weeks running back and forth from Cabela's to get hand's on time with various choices (paying close attention to how accessible the safety/decocker without moving my hands out of a firing grip, ease of engaging the slide release after loading a new magazine, how heavy/light the trigger is, overall weight of the gun, etc...). Just something to bear in mind (if you didn't already have a checklist of things to consider, that is).
    That's my biggest concern. I have pretty big hands, which is why I decided not to go with a subcompact like the G43 or the S&W Shield. So I'm gonna make sure I get my hands around a pistol before I spend the money.

edited February 2017

That's my biggest concern. I have pretty big hands, which is why I decided not to go with a subcompact like the G43 or the S&W Shield. So I'm gonna make sure I get my hands around a pistol before I spend the money.

One outlet that I frequently use for anything firearm related is to check out Youtube videos of the guns I'm curious about. One of my favorite channels is a guy named Hickok45, and Hickok's a big dude (6'7" or something like that) with friggin' gorilla-mitts. So if your hands are on the large side, maybe check out some of his videos.

EDIT - oh, and I forgot to mention that if you do check out his channel, mind the volume. Unlike some other firearm-based channels, his mic doesn't muffle gunshots.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    Agreed on Hickock. He's a pretty cool laid back host who gets some interesting firearms on his channel. Forgotten Weapons is interesting as well. I also like some of the comparison videos from The Firearm Blog TV.

• Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Thanks for the recommendation, I'm checking his channel out not.

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    I expect that I will be joining the P320 bandwagon soon, too. 9mm, which converts to .357 SIG with a kit.

I did it. Academy had a 320 Compact.

Bought it. Can't wait to shoot it.

Seriously. Done purchasing firearms for a while.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    The next Army service pistol is going to be based on the 320, Sig just won the contract last week, so things will probably get even more interesting soon.

nibXTE7.png
    I expect that I will be joining the P320 bandwagon soon, too. 9mm, which converts to .357 SIG with a kit.

I hear ya. After I bought my rifle, I'm tapped out for a good long whiles. However, if I somehow stumble across a winning powerball ticket or however that thing works, I have been sorely tempted by a 26" barrel .300 WinMag Desert Tech SRS-A1...

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Kel-Tec RFB is next. I'm waiting 3 more months to see how the market shakes out after the election though. First one I see under $1200 is going in the safe.

The HK45 has been sitting at the dealer since Friday, but they do 50% discount on transfers after the first one and the 590A1 shows up on Monday, and I managed to exhibit some self control so I'm picking up both tomorrow.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    The ammo did show up Friday though. A thousand rounds of .45 ammo weighs 50 pounds! And it comes in a box that's about 10x10x3. Which you go to pick up off your porch and nearly fall off the porch because you've lost your balance as you don't expect it to weigh so much.

nibXTE7.png
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I'm ordering a blunderbuss kit this week most likely.

There's still a few stores that have the now discontinued Traditions caplock blunderbuss for $300, or I can spend closer to $550 for a Tennessee Valley kit that's flintlock but with a slightly smaller barrel.

I'll likely go caplock and I'm getting a kit to make my own caps.

From there I'm done with guns unless I sell something first.

Unless I hit the powerball (which is unlikely because I never buy tickets) and then I'd probably shell out 20K for a Sharps rifle.

are YOU on the beer list?
    Anyone know anything about the Beretta Pico?

I have a thing for compact/holdout pistols and I really like the looks, but I haven't shot one yet.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    NSDFRand wrote: »

I have a thing for compact/holdout pistols and I really like the looks, but I haven't shot one yet.

off topic, but since you like holdout pistols there's one pawn shop nearby that doesn't charge ridiculous prices and they had one of these for $59 dollars.

77lraxc3dnll.jpg

It's a Raven Arms 25 caliber (yes I said that right) semi automatic pistol. The safety is similar to a 70s lamp power switch.

I almost bought it.

off topic, but since you like holdout pistols there's one pawn shop nearby that doesn't charge ridiculous prices and they had one of these for $59 dollars.

77lraxc3dnll.jpg

It's a Raven Arms 25 caliber (yes I said that right) semi automatic pistol. The safety is similar to a 70s lamp power switch.

I almost bought it.

If I came across one that wasn't beat to hell I'd probably drop $50 on it. My mom used to carry a Raven .25.

The Raven Arms .25 is literally the Wikipedia picture for "Saturday Night Special".

nibXTE7.png
    I'd probably never shoot it.

I'd just put it in a case.

Luckily she didn't ever have to actually shoot anyone with it.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I'd probably never shoot it.

I'd just put it in a case.

Do cowboy action shooting events still do a derringer activity? While I've not much interest in CAS, if someone needed to justify picking up a holdout pistol they might not otherwise shoot . . .

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    The next Army service pistol is going to be based on the 320, Sig just won the contract last week, so things will probably get even more interesting soon.

ive been wanting a striker fired pistol and in my efforts to blow my paycheck on mags and be different from Glock folks I have been eyeballing this for a few months now.

I wanted to get a full size, but snapped up on the compact because I literally have not seen them on shelves here in the last month or so around me.

And I credit that to the army contract and everybody having the same thinking as me because there is nothing new under the sun. "Well, the Army picked Sig for their next contract, guess everybody is gonna want one like they had their M9's and prices are gonna reflect scarcity"

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular

I had a Nano for a minute. Trigger wasn't great and the not having a slide stop or catch was weird, but it did shoot quite well, once you get used to the long heavy trigger pull.

i have handled a Pico, but it was just too small for my hands.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.

ive been wanting a striker fired pistol and in my efforts to blow my paycheck on mags and be different from Glock folks I have been eyeballing this for a few months now.

I wanted to get a full size, but snapped up on the compact because I literally have not seen them on shelves here in the last month or so around me.

And I credit that to the army contract and everybody having the same thinking as me because there is nothing new under the sun. "Well, the Army picked Sig for their next contract, guess everybody is gonna want one like they had their M9's and prices are gonna reflect scarcity"

I know I'm a broken record, but the Canik TP9 SA is an amazing striker fire (albeit) full size handgun, for less than $400 with a really good quick release holster and extra magazine.

I know I'm a broken record, but the Canik TP9 SA is an amazing striker fire (albeit) full size handgun, for less than $400 with a really good quick release holster and extra magazine.

I was eyeballing that pretty hard while I was at Academy.

It's on the list.

I was eyeballing that pretty hard while I was at Academy.

It's on the list.

I've put probably 500 rounds through it at the range over the last year and it works pretty well.

Also I've got buyer's guilt on this blunderbuss.

I haven't ordered it yet. I'm staring at the shopping cart now.

Also I've got buyer's guilt on this blunderbuss.

I haven't ordered it yet. I'm staring at the shopping cart now.

Doooooooo it.

Ye olde timey boom stick yo!

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
    I ordered it.

Build pics in a couple of weeks.

Picked up everything today. First things first, switching the forend. The stock one is fine, I just have huge hands, and would always end up dragging my fingers back and forth along the barrel. The Magpul forend is much nicer.

BdcwtzE.png

gQm01PE.png

xtZZOuY.png

I'm going to stick with the stock... stock for now. Not really interested in going to a pistol grip, and the Magpul SGA is a hundred bucks. Plus I like the 2+2 built in shell holder.

And the HK45.

YESNprm.png

Just a really nice gun in the hand, if you have the hands for it. It's definitely big.

nibXTE7.png
  • [Paragon][Paragon] I'm a real doctor, for pretend! North DakotaRegistered User regular
    It's the Toyota Corolla of handguns.

Even the people who don't find the grip angle comfortable on a Glock will agree it's still a solidly built handgun.

I don't like glocks at all, hate the finger grooves on newer models hate the ergos. But those fuckers just run, and the massive aftermarket selection is a huge plus.

• [Paragon][Paragon] I'm a real doctor, for pretend! North DakotaRegistered User regular

HA HAAAAAAAAA

The lies we tell ourselves.

It's only the first week of Feb and I'm already up two guns, and waiting to get my hands on the CZ P10C with cash in hand. Then today I see some nice discounts on AR10 lowers at PSA and I'm like...well I don't have anything in .308 so maybe....

It never ends...my..preciousssess

Of course I think if I buy anything else right now my wife might end me, or just use it as excuse to buy more American Girl Dolls (collectible, but creepy as fuck) and I don't want that.

[Paragon] wrote: »

HA HAAAAAAAAA

The lies we tell ourselves.

It's only the first week of Feb and I'm already up two guns, and waiting to get my hands on the CZ P10C with cash in hand. Then today I see some nice discounts on AR10 lowers at PSA and I'm like...well I don't have anything in .308 so maybe....

It never ends...my..preciousssess

Of course I think if I buy anything else right now my wife might end me, or just use it as excuse to buy more American Girl Dolls (collectible, but creepy as fuck) and I don't want that.

Yeah, it really doesn't. Because yesterday I bought an ambi charging handle for my AR build, approximately two days after I ordered a blem BCG from Sons of Liberty Gun Works. So...the only thing I'm truly needing now is a barreled upper with my choice of rail on it and probably just go with a scope and say fuck the irons.

Yeah my wife was a little miffed that it was February and I've already bought two guns. She was all "hey don't go spending all our damn money before I get a chance to take a vacation and buy some stuff"

So I guess I'll need to wait until August for my next one.

Thankfully, we keep our finances separate and so long as the bills get paid and everything is taken care of, my wife and I do not care what gets spent where. She still does not appreciate purchases going towards guns though. "Why do you need another one?" Because they get lonely!

But for real, I'm gonna have to resist buying some barreled upper for less than $500 if I see a deal.

I went from "okay wife I won't have more than one or two guns in the house" to "JESUS FUCK HUSBAND THERE'S LITERALLY GUNS PROPPED AGAINST THE WALL IN THIS ROOM WHAT THE FUCK!?" so I gotta cool it for a while.

it's just, I mean I need to make sure I've got backup blackpowder guns, they only fire once so I need to have spares in case the British invade.

Thankfully, we keep our finances separate and so long as the bills get paid and everything is taken care of, my wife and I do not care what gets spent where. She still does not appreciate purchases going towards guns though. "Why do you need another one?" Because they get lonely!

But for real, I'm gonna have to resist buying some barreled upper for less than $500 if I see a deal.

For me, the next gun accessory I'm likely to pick up is an M4SD II suppressor (provided the HPA passes). While it'll definitely extend a potential grab-point on my HD gun, 5.56 is just a wee bit too loud for my fragile ears (plus, I don't think any baddies will be kind enough to hear out my requests of "Wait, wait...let me put on my earplugs and ear muffs so I can shoot you.")

Stupid Blunderbuss is delayed a week because of backorder.

I should have ordered from the mom and pop shop in New Mexico.

I really want a musket but the only affordable ones are the ones from India and I've heard they're explosion machines.

Stupid Blunderbuss is delayed a week because of backorder.

I should have ordered from the mom and pop shop in New Mexico.

I really want a musket but the only affordable ones are the ones from India and I've heard they're explosion machines.

Well of course they are, that's how they work...

/Trolololol

Steam

For me, the next gun accessory I'm likely to pick up is an M4SD II suppressor (provided the HPA passes). While it'll definitely extend a potential grab-point on my HD gun, 5.56 is just a wee bit too loud for my fragile ears (plus, I don't think any baddies will be kind enough to hear out my requests of "Wait, wait...let me put on my earplugs and ear muffs so I can shoot you.")

I hope the HPA passes. There's no reason for suppressors to be NFA items, and the price should drop dramatically when it becomes legal to "manufacture" without a form 4 and dealers can sell kits. It will also mean if you dent the tube or otherwise damage a part of the suppressor you won't be legally forced to purchase an entire new one.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    As a NZer, suppressors are great. We can use them without any restriction. Which makes things a bit weird because you can't put a flash hider on a semi auto rifle but you can put a suppressor on it (that's probably the only NZ gun law that I find dumb).

I would love to get a suppressor, but if I were going to suppress anything, I'd want to go whole hog and get it SBR'd.

However, that's the nice thing about my Scorpion, 9mm is a little more tolerable on the hearing.

Of course in that situation, I imagine it's very similar to how I never hear the shot when I'm deer or hog hunting with the .30-06 but afterwards I notice a faint ringing.

I also work in a Weightroom with loud music and weights being dropped so my hearing is kaput to a certain degree anyway. Tones I've been tested and passed with flying colors, verbal is where the transmission gets lost.

I would love to get a suppressor, but if I were going to suppress anything, I'd want to go whole hog and get it SBR'd.

However, that's the nice thing about my Scorpion, 9mm is a little more tolerable on the hearing.

Of course in that situation, I imagine it's very similar to how I never hear the shot when I'm deer or hog hunting with the .30-06 but afterwards I notice a faint ringing.

I also work in a Weightroom with loud music and weights being dropped so my hearing is kaput to a certain degree anyway. Tones I've been tested and passed with flying colors, verbal is where the transmission gets lost.

Y'know...this is a thought that I've toyed around with, too. I mean, restoring my X95 to its proper MTAR glory (10.5" barrel, 21" overall length) is awfully tempting.