As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

South 2017 [Hotel] Partners and Hotel Discussion

2»

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    What is the best shuttle service to get from the airport?

Cabs have always worked out well for me to and from the San Antonio airport.

• The AviatrixThe Aviatrix Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    chellers wrote: »
    I am thinking about Crockett for the atomosphere, but, if they have that elevator silliness, I think I will try someplace else.

Well my ex is staying at the Crockett, and I'll be staying at the Red Roof Inn unfortunately. The Crockett is good if you like to play games after PAX, they'll let you use the dining area as long as you clean up after yourself (don't ruin it for next year's batch). I'll let you know how the Red Roof Inn is, but I'm thinking nothing special... cheap though.

I used Uber to get dropped off at the airport and we took a taxi to the hotel last year.

I stayed at the Red Roof the first year. (And will be this year.) Don't forget anything you may need that first night, as they did not have a shop in the hotel to buy them. And the directions I was given to get to a shop were a little... uncomfortable for a lone, out of town girl to be walking at night. (I do not recall what exactly I was needing...) And you are going under the freeway to get to/from the convention center - it felt out of the way.

The lobby was negligible (I think there was only one table) so we stayed in the tabletop freeplay until closing every day.

But otherwise, nothing really stood out.

Though I *think* they do have a hotel shuttle to the airport, would have to double check.

The Aviatrix on
    x5XpZBK.pngEz7XjRx.pngml9Z6gf.png
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    chellers wrote: »
    I am thinking about Crockett for the atomosphere, but, if they have that elevator silliness, I think I will try someplace else.

Well my ex is staying at the Crockett, and I'll be staying at the Red Roof Inn unfortunately. The Crockett is good if you like to play games after PAX, they'll let you use the dining area as long as you clean up after yourself (don't ruin it for next year's batch). I'll let you know how the Red Roof Inn is, but I'm thinking nothing special... cheap though.

I used Uber to get dropped off at the airport and we took a taxi to the hotel last year.

I stayed at the Red Roof the first year. (And will be this year.) Don't forget anything you may need that first night, as they did not have a shop in the hotel to buy them. And the directions I was given to get to a shop were a little... uncomfortable for a lone, out of town girl to be walking at night. (I do not recall what exactly I was needing...) And you are going under the freeway to get to/from the convention center - it felt out of the way.

The lobby was negligible (I think there was only one table) so we stayed in the tabletop freeplay until closing every day.

But otherwise, nothing really stood out.

Though I *think* they do have a hotel shuttle to the airport, would have to double check.

Yeah, I stayed at the Red Roof year one. They've got decent rooms, but they're definitely a ways away, and not near any other hotels or shops or anything. It's basically right where downtown turns into warehouses. It's not a terrible walk if the weather's nice, and it's a pretty easy bus ride to the con. Getting back, especially a night isn't quite as handy.

steam_sig.png
  • chellerschellers New HampshireRegistered User regular
    If I'm able to make it next year, I'd like to go back to the Crockett. I just got comfortable, plus the staff is so nice. I would just request a room away from the elevators. I will say, for the Red Roof Inn, I do very much like the 109/night rooms incl. taxes. I was trying to book it online and the submit button wasn't working so I thought eh I'll just do it tomorrow. But then they sent me a 20% off coupon so I got to book it extra cheap. Broke-me is super into that part. But I'm OK with staying in tabletop and BYOC later in the evening if RRI doesn't have a socializing/gaming area. TT is just a nightmare from 6-8 between the expo hall closing and parties starting, plus all the restaurants are packed. My friends do AirBnB but I read too many horror stories. They've had great luck though, so there's always that option for people. Also, there's a couple regular BnBs in the area.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    For some reason it was cheaper to book my hotel through Booking.com than directly. Fishy.

• hadiwisthadiwist Nashville, TNRegistered User regular
    It appears onpeak has started transferring reservations to the hotels, as you are no longer able to make or change a reservation through onpeak. South is Soon™ !

• ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    So what's with the super thin walls at the Menger? I already had a noise complaint against me because my husband sneezed...it was loud...and we were laughing a bit before heardijg down to the bar. I have to say while hotel is on the older side, the rooms are nice, but the walls...the walls are too thin. I wouldn't stay here again.

• shimwoodshimwood Registered User regular
    I have also noticed that the walls are quite thin. Curious if my room will get a complaint due to all of the snoring.

khd33hubozxv.png
  • PuritysanPuritysan thePuritysan San Antonio, TXRegistered User regular
    Can someone tell me how much the Marriott riverWALK was per night? Planning for next year. It seems all 2017 info was already stripped down. Lmao

m2bd3Je.png
  • acaraba2acaraba2 Tampa, FLRegistered User regular
    Puritysan wrote: »
    Can someone tell me how much the Marriott riverWALK was per night? Planning for next year. It seems all 2017 info was already stripped down. Lmao

Rate was $181 a night + Taxes came out to $30.32/night.

jf7bixxxlknz.png

• shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    This was my first PAX South, and I used AirBnB to save some money. Booked one of the rooms available from this listing. Nice house, only about ten minutes from the Convention Center, and a great price. She seems to have 3-5 rooms total to rent, it would be fun next year to pack the place with all PAX people. Given the per-night costs, it's about the same as splitting a hotel room 3-4 ways, with the bonus of having a real kitchen and private bedrooms for everyone.

• chellerschellers New HampshireRegistered User regular
    I stayed at the Red Roof Inn. They had 3 tables in the lobby, and I was fortunate enough to snag one Sunday night for some postPAX gaming. There was also a table in the room, but only 2 chairs. Could only hear people when they were in the hall (most guests were pretty quiet, but housekeeping was very talkative in the mornings). Bed was squeaky, but fairly comfortable. 10min walk to the convention center, if that. Had a minifridge and microwave. Came to $111/night with all the taxes (more than my original booking receipt by $10, but maybe taxes went up Jan1?) Will probably do again next year, unless there's something cheaper in OnPeak (except the Menger because the best I've read is indifference).

Yeah, definitely skip the Menger. I stayed there this year and the rooms are small for what you're paying. No microwave or minifridge and the HVAC system is a joke; it was cooler in the room after we turned off the A/C. Also, the bathtub doesn't drain fast enough for the amount of pressure they're pushing the water through so by the end of your shower you're standing in dirty water which I can't imagine is good for foot health when you're spending 12+ hours/day walking around all weekend.

khd33hubozxv.png
  • Christopher HuffChristopher Huff Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I stayed at the Hyatt Place which is a slightly "scaled down" version of the Grand Hyatt. I booked it when the price was at $167/night after taxes, $15 daily parking (unlimited ins/outs), complimentary breakfast. Staff was very nice, good selection of breakfast items, beds were comfortable. I had good neighbors throughout my stay and the walls were good at blocking out noise although the weakest points were the doors to the hallway/adjourning room even though they look pretty solid. (It's pretty easy to hear stuff outside your room when your sitting in your desk area.) The most negative thing I could say would be that one breakfast the waffles were a bit stale.

It's a totally walk-able distance to the convention center, although I kind of regret not booking a place that is a few minutes shorter walk or right next door because that time loss adds up with each trip I made to and from the convention center.

Christopher Huff on
    gVqmaCN.png
    shimwood wrote: »
    Yeah, definitely skip the Menger. I stayed there this year and the rooms are small for what you're paying. No microwave or minifridge and the HVAC system is a joke; it was cooler in the room after we turned off the A/C. Also, the bathtub doesn't drain fast enough for the amount of pressure they're pushing the water through so by the end of your shower you're standing in dirty water which I can't imagine is good for foot health when you're spending 12+ hours/day walking around all weekend.

So that's where all the water was going...because we got sporadic water pressure, sometimes it was fine, other times there you stood all soapy and NO water at all. The hvac systems only function was to provide a nice humming noise, but definitely no cooling was provided but the unit. So unless you are on a strict budget, don't mind hearing your neighbors every move and could take or leave a shower...I would agree to skip the Menger! Which is a shame because it does have a great old era feel to it, but is in dire need of renovations.

So that's where all the water was going..

Probably. We were on the 4th floor so if you were on a lower floor, we probably got the water first and then let it trickle down to the rest of the Plebs.

khd33hubozxv.png
    shimwood wrote: »
    Probably. We were on the 4th floor so if you were on a lower floor, we probably got the water first and then let it trickle down to the rest of the Plebs.

on the 4th floor too...so their water pressure is all screwed up.

• jthom252jthom252 Duarte, CARegistered User regular
    Homewood Suiites was a mixed bag for my group, it's one of the hotels that's really anal about charging for extra people and initially they were charging a massive increase ($100 extra per night, only ended up being $50 for 4 people total). Location wasn't bad but I feel like I could of got a much better deal elsewhere in retrospect. Besides that the shower water pressure was pretty bad and the Wifi wasn't workable either (but hey, that's hotels during PAX for you)

Springhill Suites (the one north of the center) was where I stayed last year and was a lot better in general, I think it's the direction I'll go next year even if it's a little farther from decent restaurants and bars.

I stayed at the Red Roof Inn this year.
    In our reservation we had noted a desire for a roll away bed, but when we arrived they said they don't have any at that location. (Not that they were out.) It would have been nice if they told us beforehand :( Dunno if it would have changed anything, but it was a surprise.
    They also seemed to have weird staffing times. When my friend arrived at 2 or 3, there were 4 people with nothing to do. When I got there at 6, there was only one staff and I ended up standing in line for like 20m xD
    But their staff was quite nice and amiable.
    Wifi seemed iffy at night, I imagine because there were so many people...

However! One major reason we stayed there this year, was because when we stayed there the first year there was breakfast.
    This year had no breakfast. (Well, there was a vending machine, but ew.) Since I had to be at the convention center at 7am every day, this kinda messed me up.

Overall... Fine hotel for a budget, but be aware of the lack of amenities.

Next year, I believe we'll spend a lil more for something a bit nicer.

• The PopeThe Pope Registered User regular
    I stayed at the Contessa this year, and thought it was great. The suites are very nice, and good sized (500 sq. ft.); all they have are suites. The bed was comfy, but the desk in the living room area is glass so I ended up buying a mousepad at PAX. The WiFi worked pretty well, the rooms were quiet and the staff was very helpful. They have a tub/shower combo, and the tub is a little high off the ground so you feel like a giant in there; it may be an issue for tall (over 6') people. They charge an extra $16 for breakfast each day, so I went to Schilo's instead.

The lock on my room didn't work at first, the door just opened whether you had a key or not. I didn't find that out until Friday night, so I had left my suite unlocked all day; yikes! I told the front desk Saturday morning and it was fixed by the time I got back that evening. Luckily nothing went missing.

It's about a 5-10 minute walk to PAX at street level, and it's right on the inner loop of the Riverwalk. They have a pretty convenient entrance right on the Riverwalk, through the in-hotel restaurant/bar. It's on the south side of the loop, so it's not super close to most of the restaurants since they're on the north or east side.

Overall it was a very nice place and a great experience, the only real downside is the price. It ended up costing just over $800 for 3 nights, with valet parking. That's significant, because they charge $36/day for valet parking. If you can find a cheaper place to park you can save some money, but I was on vacation so I didn't want to mess with it. Would highly recommend it you don't mind the cost, I may stay there again next year.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
    -- Vroomfondel
    Can anybody tell me what the Grand Hyatt rate was during PAX?

gVqmaCN.png
  • 13th_mg_doctor13th_mg_doctor Louisville, KYRegistered User regular
    Has anyone stayed at Home2 Suites, looking at staying there next year.

rzHnQQ1.png
  • PirateTruckPirateTruck Registered User regular
    Can anybody tell me what the Grand Hyatt rate was during PAX?

They were around $250+ before they sold out almost immediately. I didn't buy one at first because last year I got the same room for around $160. I tried to wait to see if the price would come down but they sold out so fast. A couple weeks before PAX they started listing non-refundable rooms. I got a room on the 16th floor with access to the Grand Club lounge and free breakfast for 2 at Ruth's Chris every morning for I think $259/night. Not cheap, but with a free good breakfast and literally walking right outside the door and stepping into the line at the convention center, it was worth it.

Thank you so much! Would you consider the Grand Club to be worth its extra price tag? From what little information listed on the website, its seems just like a extra place to eat breakfast and get additional "refreshments" throughout your stay.

gVqmaCN.png
  • PirateTruckPirateTruck Registered User regular
    Thank you so much! Would you consider the Grand Club to be worth its extra price tag? From what little information listed on the website, its seems just like a extra place to eat breakfast and get additional "refreshments" throughout your stay.

tl;dr It's nice but not worth paying for.

With my reservation it just came free with the room. Or maybe "free" but I didn't have an option of a room without it. I wouldn't pay money for it during PAX. I thought it would be nice to have a place to get food, snacks, and drinks throughout the day but I stayed so busy all I ever got was a few bottles of water the first night and a couple cookies to bring back to my room. I went in a few times just to see what they had and it was almost always empty in there. So if you wanted a quiet place to lounge it would be good, but I don't think quiet lounging is why people go to PAX. Maybe if you and a couple others wanted a quiet space to play a board game it would be nice, but it closes at 10pm. They have a continental breakfast in the morning, snack food throughout the day, and desserts at night. Nothing was really enough to be a full meal unless you only want a light breakfast or lunch, so it won't really save you from having to eat out elsewhere.

• luckycreatureluckycreature Registered User new member
    Im staying one Mile away at the Home2 Suites on Navarro st. Anyone stayed there before? Im planning on walking during the day and taking a uber back at night for safety. Im so excited for my first pax. Also we were debating flying into austin on tuesday and spending the day there before hitting San Antonio for Pax. Any reason not to do that?

• HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Oh hey posted this in SE, forgot there was a separate PAX South forum.
    Handgimp wrote: »
    Anybody stay at the Menger Hotel or the Hotel Contessa? I'm thinking about grabbing a suite.

Leaning towards Contessa. Looks like about a 15 minute walk.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Not a bad idea, although south 2018 stuff hasn't started in here yet :)

• nbs2nbs2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Im staying one Mile away at the Home2 Suites on Navarro st. Anyone stayed there before? Im planning on walking during the day and taking a uber back at night for safety. Im so excited for my first pax. Also we were debating flying into austin on tuesday and spending the day there before hitting San Antonio for Pax. Any reason not to do that?

What's your plan to get from Austin to SA? Austin is worth a day or so, I suppose, but you may be better served by flying into SA and renting a car for the day to drive up. If you do it from an off-airport site, it can be pretty cheap.

You'd have to look at the difference in flight costs, add in a rental, subtract the transfer, etc., but I think you'll enjoy it.

Unless, and until I had a daughter I would have said "even if", you are a solo girl, I don't think you need to get a car back to the hotel. The river walk and Houston are buzzy enough through midnight that you'll be fine. If you're in a group, even better. We have stayed in the Holiday Inn Express on Cameron and the walk has been uneventful. On the other hand, Apple tells me I walk 15-20 miles that first day. That being said, finding friends to go with you is always prudent and I take no responsibility for your specific experience. :)

nbs2 on
  • luckycreatureluckycreature Registered User new member
    nbs2 wrote: »

What's your plan to get from Austin to SA? Austin is worth a day or so, I suppose, but you may be better served by flying into SA and renting a car for the day to drive up. If you do it from an off-airport site, it can be pretty cheap.

You'd have to look at the difference in flight costs, add in a rental, subtract the transfer, etc., but I think you'll enjoy it.

Unless, and until I had a daughter I would have said "even if", you are a solo girl, I don't think you need to get a car back to the hotel. The river walk and Houston are buzzy enough through midnight that you'll be fine. If you're in a group, even better. We have stayed in the Holiday Inn Express on Cameron and the walk has been uneventful. On the other hand, Apple tells me I walk 15-20 miles that first day. That being said, finding friends to go with you is always prudent and I take no responsibility for your specific experience. :)

Thanks for the info. We thought about flying into austin but the more i look at San Antonio it looks like if we fly in there we wont even need a car. We may just save austin for another trip in the future. Im a guy so ill judge how i feel at night about taking an uber back. How late does public transport run?

I cant wait to get my ticket tommorow!

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Hey, there are hotel shuttles at South, right? To/from the convention center?

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Hey, there are hotel shuttles at South, right? To/from the convention center?
    No, not that I know of.

Oh hey posted this in SE, forgot there was a separate PAX South forum.
    Anybody stay at the Menger Hotel or the Hotel Contessa? I'm thinking about grabbing a suite.

Leaning towards Contessa. Looks like about a 15 minute walk.

We had a very, very bad experience at the Menger. Cleanliness was lacking (to say the least). And they put a hold on my card for /way/ more than I was told (after confirming multiple times) to the extent that I had no money until Sunday and had to rely on friends to simply eat. It was my absolute worst hotel experience to date. There were multiple smaller issues as well.

Basically - I cannot recommend enough to stay way from the Menger.

This discussion has been closed.