As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nioh: Onimusouls Action Available on Feb 7!

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    This game has those kappa demons that kill your through your butthole... Cool.

D:

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Kappa Demons
    They actually go straight for your butt too i was watching a little bit of one of my favorite streamers play this and he attacked a kappa demon and it juked behind him grabbed the characters butt and knocked him over and escaped.

• BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Ign finished up their review, 9.6

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    The only keeping me on the fence about this game is hearing about some later bosses with giant health bars you pick away at. Both ninja gaiden and dark souls had moments off this where I knew what I had to do, I just didn't want to do it ten -twenty times in a row, hopefully just reviewers going in with low gear or something, but it'll probably make me wait to get it a little later

Most bosses have these health pools. Which honestly now I like. It makes phases feel important, instead of you being able to push a boss to near death in other games (tree boss in Dark Souls 3 for example).

I think the demo encounters were a bit "ugh" in terms of this health pool, because we didn't have access to all the bells and whistles the game has on offer, especially in the Last Chance trial.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    This is the video that sold me on this game:

https://youtu.be/pS0vGOCTwyg

It looks like a perfect combination of NGB and DS and I freaking love it.

Seeing the combat in action is what convinced me to preorder too. I'm trash at Dark Souls, but I can do hard action game stuff. I know it's still going to be hard as fuck, but I feel like I'm more set up for success with this game. Also, it just looks like a great loot-grindy game which I am a fan of.

Also, I guess you respawn pretty quick at the shrines when you die? I didn't play any of the demos, so I dunno. That is good news though. DS and Bloodborne take forever to respawn and you have to sit there and stew in your failure. Nioh gets me right back into it lickity split, which is a plus!

I haven't seen any mentions of it, but do weapons and armor have durability?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Durability was ditched after the Alpha; instead each weapon has a "familiarity" bar that increases with use, improving damage and unlocking certain abilities during "Soul Matching", which is one of the reforging functions at the Blacksmith.

Dang, nice! Another point in Nioh's favor.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Today is going to be a slow day at work. I know this is at home sitting on my PS4 Pro, waiting for the unlock tonight at 9 my time.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    It's going to be really hard not to start this up tomorrow but I have to finish Tales of Berseria first.

Ahhh!

One of the cool things that video demonstrates (briefly) is that it is possible to create fluid attack chains that use both equipped weapons, it's just that doing so seemingly demands mastery of the ki-pulse and precise awareness of the stamina-requirements of each attack.

metaghost wrote: »
    One of the cool things that video demonstrates (briefly) is that it is possible to create fluid attack chains that use both equipped weapons, it's just that doing so seemingly demands mastery of the ki-pulse and precise awareness of the stamina-requirements of each attack.

The beauty of this is that the game supports it, while not making it a requirement to succeed. You can become crazy fighting-game levels of input accuracy guy and do crazy fluid attack chains...but if you cant, you can still succeed at the game with a more conservative single weapon approach.

Ki pulsing is really important though. I recommend regardless of how deep in to multi-weapon attack chains you want to get, forcing yourself to master ki pulsing early will help you the whole game.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Yeah, I just wanted to point that out because I know someone in the SE++ thread had doubts that it was possible to do so.

And with ki-pulsing, it's almost important to recognize how that player is making choices about when to do a perfect ki-pulse and when to do imperfect pulses as a means to improve mobility during combat.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Yeah I imagine part of why the health bars feel so large is probably that we're not really capitalizing on our potential damage output. Personally I played through most of the demo in low stance. On the other hand, if you can properly flux between high and low/mid stance, you'll have more stamina to use, more damage, and more ki damage all at the same time.

Both of the Pre-order armors look absolutely amazing.

Elendil wrote: »
    Yeah I imagine part of why the health bars feel so large is probably that we're not really capitalizing on our potential damage output. Personally I played through most of the demo in low stance. On the other hand, if you can properly flux between high and low/mid stance, you'll have more stamina to use, more damage, and more ki damage all at the same time.

Right, ki-damage plays a big role in accelerating damage output vs. bosses, as putting a boss into an exhausted state increases damage dealt and just lets you wail on them; watching folks stream the 3rd demo, so many players didn't understand that facet of combat and would just spend tons of time dancing around the Ogress, rather than attacking her ki firstl and then concentrating on high health damage.

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Amazon better not screw up my pre-order like they did with Monster Hunter. But I'm an idiot and wanted to save £3 so used them again.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
    You can damage ki and health separately? Don't the bosses just spend stamina the same as you when they attack?

Skull2185 wrote: »
    You can damage ki and health separately? Don't the bosses just spend stamina the same as you when they attack?

Every attack will damage health, but each weapon/stance has different properties pertaining to ki-damage. The axe/hammer low-stance is specifically oriented around ki-damage. Additionally, the paralysis buff enhances your ki-damage and lengthens the duration of an enemy's exhausted state.

Niiiice! I was planning on using axes as a secondary.

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Katana has a really easy to pull off mid/low stance kick after any attack. Spear does the same thing though it's more flourish, jamming the spear into the ground and using the momentum to kick.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    I'm probably going to continue the Uchigatana/Spear path I was going down in the beta. The Uchigatana felt great as a primary weapon, but having the spear for range and poking was super useful.

Part of my really wants to run Dual katana but the other part really likes the spear movesets

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    ~2 hours to unlock on PSN.

Give it to me, baby.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    I suppose 2 is approximately 3. . .o_0.

ED! wrote: »
    I suppose 2 is approximately 3. . .o_0.

Midnight Eastern. I posted at 8:42. Rounding down from 2 hours 18 minutes. Approximately 2 hours.

Holy shit.

No.

Drez.

You idiot.

~3 hours to unlock on PSN.

Give it to me, baby.

• AumniAumni Registered User regular
    Math. Not even once.

I can't wait for this damn game. That video up there has got me pumped!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
    I want to do the irresponsible thing, and play this a little bit when it unlocks at midnight.

I'm like a dumb little kid trying to stay up for Santa, though... just sitting here with heavy eyelids, and my head snapping all over the place. I don't think I'm going to make it!

I won't get my copy until the Fed-ex truck arrives (I'm a sucker for owning physical copies of games.) and since i live in podunk nowhere that means i have to wait until Late tomorrow to play

Skull2185 wrote: »
    I want to do the irresponsible thing, and play this a little bit when it unlocks at midnight.

I'm like a dumb little kid trying to stay up for Santa, though... just sitting here with heavy eyelids, and my head snapping all over the place. I don't think I'm going to make it!

I feel the same way.

• BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    fyjuxPO.jpg

Gomenasai, my name is William-sama.

I’m a 34-year old English Anjin (Navigator for you gaijins). I build ships and conduct trade, and spend my days perfecting my art and playing superior Japanese games (Hanafuda, Shogi, Go)

I train with my Katana every day, this superior weapon can cut clean through steel because it is folded over a thousand times, and is vastly superior to any other weapon on earth. I earned my sword and retainership and I have been getting better every day.

I speak Japanese fluently, both Kanji and the Osaka dialect, and I write fluently as well. I know everything about Japanese history and their bushido code, which I follow 100%

When I get my bannerman title, I am moving to Yokosuka city to attend a prestigious trade school to learn more about their magnificent culture. I hope I can become a merchant and own lots of land!

I own several kimonos, which I wear around town. I want to get used to wearing them before I move to Yokosuka, so I can fit in easier. I bow to my elders and seniors and speak Japanese as often as I can, but rarely does anyone manage to respond.

Wish me luck in Japan!

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
    edited February 2017
    It's nothing scientific but I like to use the "Live From Playstation" feature as a way of judging a games popularity, and less than an hour after launch it's within shooting distance of Destiny (it and GTAV usually swap pole position) as #1 streamed game.

. . .boy they REALLY don't want you to die on the first part.

EDIT: Starting Tip - after the prologue you will get to "choose weapons" that reflect you. While increasing stat points, it will also unlock Ki Pulse abilities on both weapons (which increase subsequent attacks after a succesful Ki pulse). The weapon is also given to you when you start the game proper.

ED! on
    I only have one problem with the game so far and that is: I need to go to bed.

It's awesome.

Loving this so far. The first "real" mission wasn't hard, but I loved the design and I think it eases you in to the game nicely.

Question: Where do you find the pre-order and beta rewards? I can't seem to find that stuff anywhere.

Stayed up stupidly late to run through the tutorial mission and then Isle of Demons. Decided to start off with Kusarigama and Daiba-Washi, as that's what I was playing during the last demo; didn't even die once on Isle of Demons, though I was surprised that they added back in one of the Ninja Oni, who are just some rude dudes.

And holy shit at the Titles/Prestige aspect of the final game.

• Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    Sweet Mother of Freud...I watched some "the first hour" streaming and damn son. Okay, it's my next PS4 buy. Sorry Andromeda, you'll have to wait.

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Loving this so far. The first "real" mission wasn't hard, but I loved the design and I think it eases you in to the game nicely.

Question: Where do you find the pre-order and beta rewards? I can't seem to find that stuff anywhere.

When you're in the shrine menu, click on Boons and it will put it all in your inventory. The Ogress Mask is dope.

• Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    Sadly I don't do pre-orders anymore. I wonder if I'll ever get to see that stuff. *shrugs*

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG