As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] POST IN THE NEW THREAD!

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    It's like when people have a bunch of houserules that they use with Monopoly that makes the game last a lot longer for no good reason, except that Catan is an okay game to start with so you're actually just ruining a good time.

• Options
    The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I can't even imagine how it would play out with the rest of the expansions. I tried arguing for following the rules when it was my girlfriend's first games, but I didn't want to seem like a rules lawyer in a game I don't even own.

3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    The Mantiz wrote: »
    Our neighbors invited us over to dinner last night, and they tell me they are avid boardgamers. It turns out most of their games are regular old family games but at least they had Catan with a ton of expansions, so it was not too bad.
    I suggested we played Catan since my girlfriend has never played it, and I figured it would be nice to not do the rules explanation for once.
    The first alarm bells should had gone of when they wanted to use the 5-6 player expansion even though we were only 4, since it was "not as mean", but I gave them the benefit of the doubt. But then they played with random number placement AND blind placement of the starting villages since it was "unfair that the starting player always gets the best spots."

I ended up starting with my six resource-spaces consisting of 2x11, 2x12 and 2x2 and were basically screwed from the start. I struggled to even get my third village while the others had so many resources that they didn't even have to trade me.

I ended the game with 4 points...

And my girlfriend's reaction was to ask me why we didn't own this game because she had so much fun.... :bigfrown:

That's basically not actually playing Catamaran though.

I mean it has some major design issues but those homerules are on a par with the shit people stick on monopoly

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I like Catan but they should have looked at that placement and said "yeah no"

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I would like aCatamaran retheme of Catan, come to think of it

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Our neighbors invited us over to dinner last night, and they tell me they are avid boardgamers. It turns out most of their games are regular old family games but at least they had Catan with a ton of expansions, so it was not too bad.
    I suggested we played Catan since my girlfriend has never played it, and I figured it would be nice to not do the rules explanation for once.
    The first alarm bells should had gone of when they wanted to use the 5-6 player expansion even though we were only 4, since it was "not as mean", but I gave them the benefit of the doubt. But then they played with random number placement AND blind placement of the starting villages since it was "unfair that the starting player always gets the best spots."

I ended up starting with my six resource-spaces consisting of 2x11, 2x12 and 2x2 and were basically screwed from the start. I struggled to even get my third village while the others had so many resources that they didn't even have to trade me.

And my girlfriend's reaction was to ask me why we didn't own this game because she had so much fun.... :bigfrown:

I mean it has some major design issues but those homerules are on a par with the shit people stick on monopoly

Even with random placement of resources you should have gotten a better spread (if I remember correctly the red numbers can't be on adjoining hexes).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Even with random placement of resources you should have gotten a better spread (if I remember correctly the red numbers can't be on adjoining hexes).

That's going by the rules though, which these people were pretty clearly not...

• Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    Catan: Roll and Move Edition

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    Catan: Roll and Move Edition

Every time you make it around the board you get £200

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Starting player gets one good spot and one PoS spot though if you're following the rules, because they get the first spot... and then the last spot.

In a 4-person game I'd want to be placing third most of the time to get a good and okay spot.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Plus first player usually gets stuck with his villages separated because everyone claimed roads and villages between them. I've never gotten longest road when I've placed first.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Anyone here player the newest Stefan feld game The Oracle Of Delphi? I can't decide if I think it looks fun or not, so I'm looking for impressions.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Plus first player usually gets stuck with his villages separated because everyone claimed roads and villages between them. I've never gotten longest road when I've placed first.

Yeah, I usually use the tournament rules (at least I think they are? I don't even know, maybe its just a house rule we made) that has a third round of placing going in turn order of placing a single road in any legal placement. Helps first player get a little more board control back.

Goes one round of placing settlement and road, one reverse round of placing city and road, one round of placing a road.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I want to laminate or "sleeve" Skull but I don't own a heat gun or the right plastic sheets.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Gloomhaven AAR:

Played through Black Barrow with two friends tonight after getting punted again with just myself and my girlfriend. The game seems noticeably easier with 3.
    That and, as I'm pretty much certain at this point, Orchid Spellweaver / Savvas Cragheart is a very bad 2-person team.

Cragheart / Brute / Mindthief was pretty good, though, and we all had a good time with it. One particularly notable turn involved having the Mindthief run into the teeth of the enemy with Cragheart's Shield 2 effect and then stab his way back to full health after shrugging off a volley of attacks before we ran in. Craggy seems really bad at generating XP unless you go out of your way to use his worse moves, too, which is weird to me.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Cantido wrote: »
    I want to laminate or "sleeve" Skull but I don't own a heat gun or the right plastic sheets.

Contact paper? Or the cold laminate stuff? That may be the same thing. Need a steady hand and not as good as the other methods but potential.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular

There was a thread asking about this on boardgamegeek and someone suggested trying something like mod podge, which is a brush on adhesive/varnish. It's an inventive idea but it's also something that I imagine would ruin your copy if it went wrong, so try at your own risk.

• Options

There was a thread asking about this on boardgamegeek and someone suggested trying something like mod podge, which is a brush on adhesive/varnish. It's an inventive idea but it's also something that I imagine would ruin your copy if it went wrong, so try at your own risk.

That reminds me that they make clear coat spray paint as well. A good number of coats could seal it up nicely.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I want to make a wooden Skull set I can use as coasters.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I want to make a wooden Skull set I can use as coasters.

I've had similar ideas with some of my games. Basically just taking the time to make a super special personalized edition via carpentry. Unfortunately, all my woodworking tools are literally thousands of miles from me right now.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    TimFiji wrote: »
    Man I could really use some tips for organizing Gloomhaven bits. Anyone got a guide or suggestions?

I saw a packing guide on BGG in the downloads.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Received Stockpile in the mail today from the wonderfully generous @ChaosHat! Really looking forward to trying that out this afternoon with my brother and dad, both of whom are pretty into day trading and stuff. Thematically it should be a dunk, so hopefully they enjoy the game too :)

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Played Gloomhaven pretty much all weekend and am still hungry for more. We've gotten the rules down now, it goes much faster once you don't have to keep consulting the rulebook, although we did still miss the 'slain monsters drop a coin' rule so missed out on a fair amount of gold.

I just can't say enough good about it. I love how you gradually learn how a monster works by repeated encounters so you see more and more of their action deck; you don't start out with full knowledge of what they can do, you have to EARN it.

Starting to bling it out a bit too, I have some Dwarven Forge stuff so am using their doors and treasure chests. Not big on sleeves but am going to have to for the character ability cards as they're already showing wear (my son is not as careful with them as I would like). I'd like better status ailment markers, havent decided on a solution there yet. And the health/xp markers just suck, I know Isaac was very unhappy with how they turned out and I can see why. They either don't stay in place at all or you end up tearing the track a little bit every time you use it so they wont stay in place eventually anyways. Die faces for health works better; for now we're using the xp notes on the player sheets for xp tracking but I plan to get something token wise for those.

I almost feel like I have to apologize to Isaac for only backing the standee version, it's just staggering how much gameplay is in the box for the price I paid.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    So, more thoughts on Gloomhaven. I'll start with some nonspoiler stuff.

I said earlier that lethality can be pretty high, and that's no joke. Our first game, the first scenario, we played as Mindthief, Spellweaver, Tinkerer and Cragheart. I pseudo-tanked as the latter and wound up getting Exhausted as we were clearing out the last room (well, entering it, really.) The way the rules work, you open a door and everything in that room is going to get a turn this round. Either in the remainder of the round if they have slow initiative, or all in a group as soon as your door opener's turn is done if they have fast(er than him) initiative. In a four player game, when there's half a dozen enemies in the next room, this can mean a huge alpha strike. And the focus rules for monsters means they're all going to attack the door opener.

So when you open a door, have a plan. Have some movement left over to get behind cover, or have some Shield rating, or have someone ready with a good heal, or get a couple people in the next room so the attention of the monsters is split up. Have your door opener go on fast initiative, and have some disabling attacks ready for what's beyond. Be wary of Battle Goals that encourage you to keep pressing on, keep moving fast, because that makes it harder to take long rests.

And you're going to want to take long rests as opposed to short ones if at all possible. Choosing the card that gets Lost instead of randomly losing one is a pretty big deal. Recovering 2 health can be a big deal, and restoring item uses is a big deal. Waiting as long as possible to rest is a good idea in general because you never know when you're going to take a 4-6 damage hit and want to Lose a card to prevent the damage.

One thing that's annoying is, since there are no to-hit rolls, there's no penalty to ranged attacks that go through obstacles. The Cragheart can create obstacles but they don't provide cover, so they're really only useful for channeling enemy movement. That is useful, but it feels insignificant.

I've decided to play a Brute in our group instead of a Cragheart. Brute is a little less flashy, but he has a repeatable Disarm and (if you include some of the Level X cards) multiple options for damage reduction. He also gets some pretty neat cards as he levels up, though my Character Goal might be one of the first that gets accomplished so I probably won't see too many of those. In exchange for flashy Element consuming stuff he gets some pretty solid single target and multi target melee attacks, and some good mobility.

The City and Road events are awesome. I don't really want to talk about specifics for which ones we saw because they were one-time events, but I really enjoyed the two we pulled.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    So seriously, fuck SeaFall. Utterly and truly fuck SeaFall. I do not know what they were thinking with the end game, but it is just pure garbage. Yeah they have a ton of really cool stuff that can be done on paper. In reality there is just no way to even get close to unlocking some stuff because it is so incredibly stupid to do. They also kind of just give you a huge middle finger with the last box with the game just becoming something completely different for no apparent reason. Never mind how stupidly obnoxiously difficult it is to POTENTIALLY even have a chance at opening the last box. I loved a lot of this game but I have no idea what they were trying for. They spend equal portions trying to make you work together and fuck each other over mercilessly while randomly handing out the winner thanks to stupidly huge bonuses for glory. Just unbelievably stupid how it all ends, and how much pure random luck it takes to get there.

• Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    So seriously, fuck SeaFall. Utterly and truly fuck SeaFall. I do not know what they were thinking with the end game, but it is just pure garbage. Yeah they have a ton of really cool stuff that can be done on paper. In reality there is just no way to even get close to unlocking some stuff because it is so incredibly stupid to do. They also kind of just give you a huge middle finger with the last box with the game just becoming something completely different for no apparent reason. Never mind how stupidly obnoxiously difficult it is to POTENTIALLY even have a chance at opening the last box. I loved a lot of this game but I have no idea what they were trying for. They spend equal portions trying to make you work together and fuck each other over mercilessly while randomly handing out the winner thanks to stupidly huge bonuses for glory. Just unbelievably stupid how it all ends, and how much pure random luck it takes to get there.

Yeah. That
    fifth
    box is a box filled with drudgery and contradiction. :(
    After giving up we peeked inside the
    last box, and said "hey that actually would have been pretty cool if we didn't have to slog through another probably six games in fifth-box-land to have a chance of getting there."

antherem on
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    antherem wrote: »

Yeah. That
    fifth
    box is a box filled with drudgery and contradiction. :(
    After giving up we peeked inside the
    last box, and said "hey that actually would have been pretty cool if we didn't have to slog through another probably six games in fifth-box-land to have a chance of getting there."

Oh, we did not actually make it to the 6th box either cause the group was too bitter over all the crap, and we only saw 1 of the 4 pieces we needed to have a shot at opening the 6th apparently. Also for those wonder, I was the runaway winner at the end thanks to sticking to exploration which is an evergreen source of winning. Like 30+ point lead over second place and growing when we called it. In a few months I may pull it back out to do 1 box 6 game just to see how it plays, but that is far, far from likely.

Fifth box spoilers all up in here.
    Did y'all manage to start looking over the tablets and relic list with a black light? How in the fuck was that even supposed to work I wonder. Do you decode it when one person has all the pieces? Do you need to decode it and then have someone declare they are going into that one? Completely unclear and dumb. I went hard core into that because I was convinced there had to be a second way to get the needed charts since we literally saw 1 advisor in 3 games that counted as a chart. No one else came up. Digging was basically impossible too since they added fucking victory points to a bunch of them and accelerated the fuck out of the game meaning it takes even fucking longer to get to the end thanks to reseting the advisor deck.

The light was such a cool idea, and the source of so much bullshit in the end. Just plain garbage. The entire box was filled with filler horse shit. Like why the fuck do I care about the statues in the end? Relics were meaningless nonsense that managed to gate keep a larger more worthless side adventure that was never clearly explained to my satisfaction. The chasing the flavor text mini-game for the 4 in fucking huge number did box 5 no favors either. Never mind the bullshit that is trying to take down Arados. Don't even know why you would want to do that. God damn does it all piss me off in the end.

I won't say that the game is a waste of money either, cause when it is good its really great. Just stop when you open box 5. All the cool potential you think is there isn't. Nothing but frustration and anger exist down that road. Maybe play a game or two and just skip to box 6.

• Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    Fifth box spoilers all up in here.
    Did y'all manage to start looking over the tablets and relic list with a black light? How in the fuck was that even supposed to work I wonder. Do you decode it when one person has all the pieces? Do you need to decode it and then have someone declare they are going into that one? Completely unclear and dumb. I went hard core into that because I was convinced there had to be a second way to get the needed charts since we literally saw 1 advisor in 3 games that counted as a chart. No one else came up. Digging was basically impossible too since they added fucking victory points to a bunch of them and accelerated the fuck out of the game meaning it takes even fucking longer to get to the end thanks to reseting the advisor deck.

The light was such a cool idea, and the source of so much bullshit in the end. Just plain garbage. The entire box was filled with filler horse shit. Like why the fuck do I care about the statues in the end? Relics were meaningless nonsense that managed to gate keep a larger more worthless side adventure that was never clearly explained to my satisfaction. The chasing the flavor text mini-game for the 4 in fucking huge number did box 5 no favors either. Never mind the bullshit that is trying to take down Arados. Don't even know why you would want to do that. God damn does it all piss me off in the end.

I won't say that the game is a waste of money either, cause when it is good its really great. Just stop when you open box 5. All the cool potential you think is there isn't. Nothing but frustration and anger exist down that road. Maybe play a game or two and just skip to box 6.

Response to the box 5 spoilers
    It took six full games before we stumbled across the "you can now look at tablets" because the advisor deck is ridiculously large at that point. Supposedly the "real" answer is that one person has to have seen, and be in possession of, all three relevant tablets in order to pick the associated option. Which was never going to happen because raids.
    The statues
    are relevant to the game changes in box 6.
    We had Arados get taken out basically right after it appeared because someone had the relevant stuff to one-shot it. It was pretty anticlimactic.
    The main issues I saw were that the advisor deck is gigantic at that point with no way to narrow it down (other than having a player basically sacrifice their game to spam Guild Hall), and tombs were incredibly swingy in terms of VP so the game kept accidentally ending and we had to start over.

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    @MNC Dover I just got my Mint Works shipping notification! So...that's a thing.
    And I just ordered Police Precinct 2nd edition for 19.99 on Amazon, and Scythe should be arriving from MM at the end of the week.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

Me too! Although weirdly the tracking hasn't updated since 1/30 for some reason.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I was just about to post my notification too! What a wonderful day!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Good god is the temptation to click on those spoilers strong.

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Good god is the temptation to click on those spoilers strong.

I've come to the conclusion I'll never play, and if for some reason my friend does decide to buy it anyway, I'd kinda like to know the pitfalls to avoid/mitigate them and enjoy the rest of the game.
    And I just ordered Police Precinct 2nd edition for 19.99 on Amazon, and Scythe should be arriving from MM at the end of the week.

Same! No progress, but label created.

This could be the week of games showing up.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    ArcSyn wrote: »

This could be the week of games showing up.

I should be getting my KS copies of Too Many Bones, Arcadia Quest Inferno, Rum and Bones 2nd, and two others I've lost track of.

send help; only have one hand; kthx

edit: whoops too many bones just got delayed. it's for the best really.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    And my wife just mentioned a large Amazon and large white box on our porch. 3 minutes until I'm done work today.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Is this early?! It was quite the pleasant surprise

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      TimFiji wrote: »
      MNC Dover wrote: »

Is this early?! It was quite the pleasant surprise

Something like 2+ weeks earlier than he expected as his earliest estimate.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    • Options
      Huge thanks to @ChaosHat for the games he sent me! He warned the Dixit cards had seen some use, but if this is light use then I don't know what's new! Everything was in immaculate condition and shipped well with those cool cardboard triangle fillers.
      I hope to play Rampage with the kids tonight!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    • Options
      TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
      I looked up how to play Star Wars Destiny.

I've made a huge mistake.

• Options
      BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
      Played Mysterium on Friday night. Just with 3 but it was still pretty fun. It made me think of a visual version of codenames.