As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nioh: Onimusouls Action Available on Feb 7!

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I played way too much of this.

@elendil I'm glad I listened to you. I was basing my impression of the game on fighting red phantoms near the start of the demo, probably, which means a bunch of enemies with huge ki bars and often enormous Dark Souls style poise.

The combat is very satisfying after all. The speed means you can really control the fight if you keep your head.

Evil Multifarious on
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Sadly I don't do pre-orders anymore. I wonder if I'll ever get to see that stuff. *shrugs*

It's likely they will fall off players.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Watching streams of people going through the first island area. Every person I've seen having trouble is being over aggressive and greedy. Calm it down folks, you'll die less.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    ED! wrote: »
    Sadly I don't do pre-orders anymore. I wonder if I'll ever get to see that stuff. *shrugs*

This is truth, you can snag appearances off of the revenants even for goodies you didn't get. This is the only way people could get some of the exclusive helmets from Japan, ala the Tanuki hat.

As for aggression... Admittedly I've played before, but I've definitely pushed the advantage against enemies with the kusarigama and spear. Been really enjoying that combo so far. On top of everything the fact that levels are reused, but with different enemies and some parts blocked off for side-missions is pretty neat!

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Goddamn where'd those 3 and a half hours go

Are you the magic man?
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    I like how the beta experience made the first two levels pretty easy though I was still trying to collect every single thing and it seems like they may have changed some of the kodama locations. And just like demo, I love going back and just helping people with the boss fights.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Dammit... I was doing so good staying up last night. Next thing I know, my snoring woke me up in my recliner, and it was almost 1. Now I have to sit through an incredibly long work day... >:[

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Only issue I had in my brief playthrough yesterday was that a lot of this feels like reruns, having played the demos for hours, and it's like you're just catching up to where you left off. Thankfully the demos seem to have been all taken exactly from the beginning of the game at least.

And boy did they hold back quite a few things from the full game.

Also, if you liked the gear you got in the prologue, check your storehouse.

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Picked this up last night. I should probably subscribe to PSN to get the multiplayer in this, huh...

Still haven't played it, had to wake up early this morning. Stupid work, go faster...

Steam: Spawnbroker
    Love this game.
    Picked this up last night. I should probably subscribe to PSN to get the multiplayer in this, huh...

Still haven't played it, had to wake up early this morning. Stupid work, go faster...

Might want to get the smallest month to make sure it's worth the investment. This is a game that as is, is totally soloable. There are no random invasions, just you fighting character that have died (think blood stains plus Dragon covenant from DS2). That said, revenants are an easy way to gain equipment AND there is a Glory system tied to this (for extra stat buffs). However developer placed revanants seem WAY dense than any of the demos.

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    This game is amazing. I want to use the katana but I found a kurasigama last night and my stream went fucking apeshit. Also it's a super good weapon.

Arthil wrote: »

This is truth, you can snag appearances off of the revenants even for goodies you didn't get. This is the only way people could get some of the exclusive helmets from Japan, ala the Tanuki hat.

As for aggression... Admittedly I've played before, but I've definitely pushed the advantage against enemies with the kusarigama and spear. Been really enjoying that combo so far. On top of everything the fact that levels are reused, but with different enemies and some parts blocked off for side-missions is pretty neat!

Controlled aggression is how you should play the game, but I'm talking about reckless aggression and impatience.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Action mode seems like a no-brainer, but what if you don't care about 30 vs 60 FPS? Are the shinies that much prettier if you go movie mode?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    . . .and here comes the asskicking. Playing the demos definitely helps in familiarity (pun intended) with the game, but holy shit did they put it on easy mode. Shit is getting cray.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Action mode seems like a no-brainer, but what if you don't care about 30 vs 60 FPS? Are the shinies that much prettier if you go movie mode?

Yea I can't tell 30fps from 60 fps so I'm probably going with the shinies unless they are totally unnoticeable to me as well then I guess I'd take the fps just because maybe at some point it might help maybe yes no?

Yea I can't tell 30fps from 60 fps so I'm probably going with the shinies unless they are totally unnoticeable to me as well then I guess I'd take the fps just because maybe at some point it might help maybe yes no?

I noticed a delay in input with 30FPS. Eventually you'll get used to it, but if you start with the fluidity of 60FPS, going down might trip your timing up a bit.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

I noticed a delay in input with 30FPS. Eventually you'll get used to it, but if you start with the fluidity of 60FPS, going down might trip your timing up a bit.

Hmm interesting. I'll play around with it because I'm also not good at telling graphical bumps once I'm actually playing a game so 720p probably wouldn't bother me much either.

I can't imagine not playing in the 60 FPS mode. For a lot of games it doesn't matter, for games where twitch reaction is a thing it absolutely matters whether you can "see" the difference or not. I'd kill to be able to play Bloodborne at 60 FPS specifically for input lag and frame pacing issues.

So sort of early-ish spoiler questions about later spoilers.
    You start with the guardian spirit you select during "character creation". I'm assuming there will be opportunities to get the other ones you didn't pick right?

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Oh my god this is out today. I really, really, really shouldn't buy it. Not when I am spending part of my tax return to pay off my Switch/Zelda pre-order.

This is a predicament, for sure!

GnomeTank wrote: »
    I can't imagine not playing in the 60 FPS mode. For a lot of games it doesn't matter, for games where twitch reaction is a thing it absolutely matters whether you can "see" the difference or not. I'd kill to be able to play Bloodborne at 60 FPS specifically for input lag and frame pacing issues.

That's why I say I'd maybe do it for the passive knowledge that it may be helping.

But that said if I'm playing a game and having fun and don't actually feel the difference tangibly then being 30fps has no negatives because if I do fuck something up because of a delay or something I won't know that's why so my experience is not lessened at all.

Basically IF I can see the difference in shinies I'll go with that because I'd rather have a tangible difference.

If not then I'll go with fps just to have the knowledge it may be helping in the background.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Love this game.

There are no random invasions, just you fighting character that have died (think blood stains plus Dragon covenant from DS2).

actually in the hard more (cant remember the name, twilight mode?) there are places where red phantoms will just auto-invade you

but in the base game yeah, its safe

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Something cool regarding the sub-missions is that they are seemingly designed to prepare you for the Twilight mission on that map, as each subsequent sub-mission on a map adds in more of the encounters that you'll have to manage in the Twilight version.

Dracil wrote: »
    So sort of early-ish spoiler questions about later spoilers.
    You start with the guardian spirit you select during "character creation". I'm assuming there will be opportunities to get the other ones you didn't pick right?

Yes.

edited February 2017
    So apparently something else about that spoiler for min-maxers.
    That stat bonuses you choose are permanent. Even if you use the book of reincarnation you won't get them back. I forgot my choices but I may actually restart if I one of my choices was for something that is not necessarily always good for all builds, like dex. Body (HP), Spirit (Guardian unlocks), and Heart (Ki) or Stamina (Heavier armor) are probably the best general stats.

Dracil on
    Yea, not getting the complaints about the lootsplosions. They are absolutely critical for any kind of gear forging (which is the cheapest way of getting high level gear as Soul Forging cost a ridiculous amount of coin).

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I was hoping the occultist you meet in the game was literally Satan/Lucifer

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I'm sad I haven't found any sweet weapons to replace my Nioh's Kusarigama.

Yea, not getting the complaints about the lootsplosions. They are absolutely critical for any kind of gear forging (which is the cheapest way of getting high level gear as Soul Forging cost a ridiculous amount of coin).

Who the heck would complain about a loot based game throwing loot at you...?

metaghost wrote: »

I've seen some that are higher in damage around 16ish but the stats on it are just too nice for now. The armor might be the hardest to replace cause of dat set bonus.

Who the heck would complain about a loot based game throwing loot at you...?

That was the complaint of a couple of early reviews. That there was TOO much loot. Which didn't make a whole lot of sense given what ideas we had about crafting from the Last Chance Trial.
    Arthil wrote: »
    metaghost wrote: »

I've seen some that are higher in damage around 16ish but the stats on it are just too nice for now. The armor might be the hardest to replace cause of dat set bonus.

I would just, if you have the cash, Soul Forge the item you want up. If it has great stats, no reason to not keep it.

I was trying to find the balance last night between selling items to spend gold on Soul Match, or disassembling items to just craft new gear, and I think it leans heavily towards disassemble and craft. Which is kind of annoying, I want to wear the red pre-order armored and just soul match it...but a round of soul matching in the level 14-15 range costs 15k+ gold. Soul Matching seems to be more of a late game thing, when you've found a perfect piece of gear with perfect bonuses and you want to keep it leveled up.

I can craft that armor (nice touch by Team Ninja, allowing the pre-order stuff to be craftable)...just requires more work I guess.

• DacDac Registered User regular
    Oof. Onryoki was rough to learn. Maybe ten attempts. Hopefully I get better at this game.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Dracil wrote: »
    So apparently something else about that spoiler for min-maxers.
    That stat bonuses you choose are permanent. Even if you use the book of reincarnation you won't get them back. I forgot my choices but I may actually restart if I one of my choices was for something that is not necessarily always good for all builds, like dex. Body (HP), Spirit (Guardian unlocks), and Heart (Ki) or Stamina (Heavier armor) are probably the best general stats.

One point is nothing, you will get so many levels. Untold levels.

That said, Heart, Body and Spirit will always be used. They give you ki, hp and them sweet sweet passives off the guardian spirit. Everyone will want at least 11 spirit it seems. Such a low investment for much return.

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Is...is work over?

Can I be a demon killing samurai yet?

Nope, still have an hour :(

Steam: Spawnbroker
    I absolutely shat all over the Onryoki, but I popped poison weapon+power pill and then used my guardian spirit so maybe that's why.

More like

Can I watch demons killing a samurai yet? :wink:

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Movie Mode or bust.

Dac wrote: »
    Oof. Onryoki was rough to learn. Maybe ten attempts. Hopefully I get better at this game.

Bosses only get easier from here. . .to kill you mean I mean.

Honestly the best suggestions I can give starting out:

1. Learn the dodge Ki Pulse immediately. It counts for all weapons and you're unlikely to use the R1 Ki Pulse unless you're comboing.

2.Pick a weapon and stick with it. Same with your off weapon. Doesn't have to be "fast" and "heavy", just pick two that you think are cool to use and focus on them. Same with Ninjutsu and Omoyo. There are some great spells in each, but you're going to need to spend points in Dex and Magic if you really want them to shine.

3. Do not sell your gear or offer it at the shrine (well maybe the white gear). Disassemble it at the Blacksmith so that you can craft better gear for yourself.

4. Don't be afraid to rerun missions, or help as a visitor.

5. Patience. You can dodge all these idiots. ESPECIALLY the bosses. I tried to treat it like Dark Souls and that just doesn't work. Team Ninja wants you to FIGHT these bosses, not burn them down a la Dark Souls.

Dac wrote: »

Bosses only get easier from here. . .to kill you mean I mean.

Honestly the best suggestions I can give starting out:

1. Learn the dodge Ki Pulse immediately. It counts for all weapons and you're unlikely to use the R1 Ki Pulse unless you're comboing.

2.Pick a weapon and stick with it. Same with your off weapon. Doesn't have to be "fast" and "heavy", just pick two that you think are cool to use and focus on them. Same with Ninjutsu and Omoyo. There are some great spells in each, but you're going to need to spend points in Dex and Magic if you really want them to shine.

3. Do not sell your gear or offer it at the shrine (well maybe the white gear). Disassemble it at the Blacksmith so that you can craft better gear for yourself.

4. Don't be afraid to rerun missions, or help as a visitor.

5. Patience. You can dodge all these idiots. ESPECIALLY the bosses. I tried to treat it like Dark Souls and that just doesn't work. Team Ninja wants you to FIGHT these bosses, not burn them down a la Dark Souls.

What does the bolded mean?