As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [House] thread and the people who live in them.

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    I've got a couple recliners from them. They've held up well and we've had them for 8 years now.

One thing to watch is the prices can drastically change when you start changing the upholstery on the pieces.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    My wife got a recliner from them after shopping around a lot and she's really happy with it, it's cushy as hell and the reclining's nice.

• ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    Just put an offer in on a nice little house! I'm excited, it will be the first time as a home owner. Out of all of the houses we looked at, we just knew with this one immediately when we walked in. It has a master bedroom with a fireplace and a sliding door out to the deck overlooking a huge back yard! The only negative is the kitchen is small, but we can remove a wall if we want and expand the kitchen.

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    So my HOA has a larger HOA thing that has 3 positions on the board open. They want a resume and I guess a what I would like to accomplish and suggestions and such. Anyone have any advice for that? I assume it will be shared to public as a bio for vote for me type thing.

PSN: jfrofl
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I have a Lazy Boy sleeper sofa that is about 3 years old at this point and it's held up amazingly well through two children, two cats, and two moves.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I don't know how I started getting ads for this website, but this one showed up in my website ads:

https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/decorative-objects/vases-vessels/vases/shiva-vase-ettore-sottsass/id-f_5812463/?utm_medium=display&utm_source=tellapart&utm_term=Vases&cht=enabled&utm_content=control&utm_campaign=display_tellapart_desktop

8VIw6kt.jpg

Almost $5,000 Canadian for that vase. Presented without comment.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I see

I see.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I mean, if anyone would own that, they'd be from Penny Arcade.

sig.gif
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    For when you LITERALLY want to fuck the pink dollar.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    In the designer biography section:
    "That the work remains so revolutionary and bold — that it breaks with convention so sharply it will never be considered mainstream — is a testament to his genius."

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    can we talk about renting in this thread also

because oof have I got roomate problems

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I always wondered what the finished vase from Ghost looked like.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Of course, renting talk is allowed.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I'd say feel free. People post their renting issues in here occasionally and I don't think many people care.

There did used to be a renting thread separate from this one, but it fell into disuse and no-one's been there in years. If it ever gets to the point where there's enough rental-topic posting in this thread someone could try and resurrect it, but until then, regale away with your tale of roommate woe.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Blake T wrote: »
    Of course, renting talk is allowed.

WELP

so, taxes are due, right? Rates, for all you Commonwealth people out there - money that goes to the municipal gov. And I pay my share, which is about 21 US dollars (student discount!). technically speaking I pay more because I didn't have exact change; let's say I put 25 dollars in the collective tax jar our apartment uses.

except, the girl who goes to city hall to actually pay the taxes says there's 7 dollars short. I know what I put it, and each of the other roomates (there are 4 of us in all) say they put their fair share in. So the girl decides, since I was the last person to put money in, that I was either a) lying and trying to cover up I put in a smaller amount by mistake or b) stealing from them

now, 7 dollars isn't even enough to buy a mcdonald's meal here. I've got no reason to take it, and I know exactly how much I put in because I had that exact change bit where I decided to just chuck a large bill in the jar. but she is adamant - I am being childish and lying to her, there's no other explanation. she goes on to say that if I don't pay those 7 dollars, and apologize to her as well, she'll change the wifi password in our apartment (which is technically under her name, but which I had paid my share for) and throw all my food out of our fridge

now, I talked to the owner of the apartment about this - but he's on vacation until the middle of the week and frankly doesn't even want to get involved. I'm stuck being in a miserable place with no real recourse, since talking about it like rational people is out, and none of the other roomates will admit that they're the ones what misplaced the money.

I'm just so fucking sick of this god damned nonsense

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    That sounds like it sucks.

Can you get your roommates to talk to this lady at least?

she's one of those kinds of people that there's no real point talking to. her mind is made up and she's rather die on her hill than back down

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Can you guys do internet banking transfers for the money? Like everyone sends their amount to her? That way there is an electronic record of the money being sent and received.

The folks who'd be against it are the ones who cheat a cash-based system.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
    I mean, I suppose we could, but that wouldn't solve the situation already in progress. I honestly wouldn't have even minded fronting the money regardless just to avoid the drama, but the way she's acting, plus the demand for the apology, has turned this into a principles thing

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    I mean, I suppose we could, but that wouldn't solve the situation already in progress. I honestly wouldn't have even minded fronting the money regardless just to avoid the drama, but the way she's acting, plus the demand for the apology, has turned this into a principles thing

It was mostly a suggestion so that this situation doesn't come up again. But yeah it absolutely doesn't help your shitty position now, unless the four of you agree to split the $7 owing since no one will own up to it. She's acting in a super rude way and it's also kinda irrational. If she didn't do it and she has no actual proof anyone else did it, the fairest solution is for everyone to pay a share of the $7.

(Kinda sounds like she did it, cuz shooting suspicion solely onto you is weird.)

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
    oh I suggested it - she's actively told them they shouldn't pay since this is all my fault and they don't have to cover for me

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

I'm not sure if this will help, depending on your personal sense of justice, but in the absence of a higher authority I'd be inclined to pay the money and apologize just to get the situation over with. You hate this drama, but she seems like the kind of person who thrives on it, so the more you fight it the happier she'll be.

It's like, you don't teach a pig a lesson by jumping into its pen and wrestling it. Because in that situation, you're both getting covered with shit, but only the pig is enjoying it.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    I actually completely agree with you; it's just that this isn't the first time something like this happened. I'd be fine with capitulating, normally - but this has gone so far beyond the pale that I can't give in on this one

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Wow, you have much more patience than me. I don't take kindly to people calling me a thief and a liar, by now I probably would have taken all her socks and set them on fire. Good work being a mature adult, Indie Winter!

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I have never had a roommate besides my boyfriend-now-husband Strikor. This is because I always assumed a roommate would suck. Every story I ever hear about roommates confirms this hypothesis.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    We're finally getting a new oven tomorrow; pretty excited. Nothing special, but it's stainless steel so it should be easier to clean, and our old one was so old and busted, even a modest upgrade is good news.

We've also been trying to make a routine out of collecting stuff we haven't used/thought about in a long time, and donating some each week in order to clean out some space. We actually have a decently-sized room that's just completely full of junk, that could easily be turned into an office/game room if we can clear out enough space.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, during college, I lived with some friends. There were four of us in a three room apartment. My close friend and I tried to get two of them to leave after the first year, but they couldn't find anywhere else to go.

It did not end well.

On my home improvement DIY journey:

Bought two of these because the sale was about to expire and couldn't find any the right size on craigslist or ebay: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Foremost-Ashburn-36-in-W-x-21-625-in-D-x-34-in-H-Vanity-Cabinet-Only-in-Mahogany-ASGA3621DR/202868782

HC36tCG.png

Almost got a matching wall cabinet on craigslist but despite the promises of yesterday the guy had sold it already when I got there. He was selling it from a discount store so I wonder if the ad was just to entice people to find his place (it wasn't easy to find).

I might be getting a matching mirror tomorrow from someone on craigslist.

This was the faucet I chose:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Pfister-Cassano-8-in-Widespread-2-Handle-High-Arc-Bathroom-Faucet-in-Polished-Chrome-F-049-CSCC/203353477?keyword=pfister+cassano

kah7TBd.png

But I waited too long and they're out of stock now. However I lucked out today and one of them came up for sale and I bought it. I might get the second one on Ebay depending how that auction goes, but if not I used the chat on home depot.com to ask when they'd get them back in stock and the guy said 3/5 - just in time to still get it for 55% off.

This is the granite top I want for my vanities, but I'm waiting because a) it's not on sale and b) I might find something similar on craigslist if I wait.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Pegasus-37-in-W-Granite-Vanity-Top-in-Beige-with-White-Basin-37682/100042025

35fYFeT.png

Really early on I actually found someone selling a new granite top w/ sink and the right spacing for my faucets on Craigslist, but it was a gray color which doesn't really match the warm colors of my bathroom. So I had to let that one go.

Oh also: my parents visited us for the first time on Friday. They brought their tile saw with them to give to me. Fuckin' a.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Fuck. Putting an offer in. I really want this place, you guys.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Excellent. So after the builder went bankrupt he limped on trying to sort things out with increasingly long gaps between anybody turning up at the house

Today an electrician came and basically looked around and went "Jesus fuck no". He called in a builder friend who basically said everything done so far has to be pulled out and done again. And the structural work seems ropey

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Excellent. So after the builder went bankrupt he limped on trying to sort things out with increasingly long gaps between anybody turning up at the house

Today an electrician came and basically looked around and went "Jesus fuck no". He called in a builder friend who basically said everything done so far has to be pulled out and done again. And the structural work seems ropey

Well fuck. That's well fucked.

So I 100% forgot about USDA loans and their 0% down payment.

I should look into getting a house in a year or two. Maybe find something cheap with acreage so I can get some doggers.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Does anybody have experience selling a place with an HOA, specifically in the US? I need to get the HOA docs for the buyer, but the association sent over instructions to "order" the required disclosure package for 225USD.

$225 for PDFs! Is that normal? Should I contact them to send the docs directly? Should I burn down their office?

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Well fuck. That's well fucked.

Yep. Irritatingly I'm out of the country right now so I can't get the wheels turning on getting new quotes in

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    templewulf wrote: »
    Does anybody have experience selling a place with an HOA, specifically in the US? I need to get the HOA docs for the buyer, but the association sent over instructions to "order" the required disclosure package for 225USD.

$225 for PDFs! Is that normal? Should I contact them to send the docs directly? Should I burn down their office?

Yes for all of that.

• AwkoAwko About to poison the waterhole.Registered User regular
    We finally bit the bullet and sold the house that we had been renting out for a couple of years now. We bought it to live in when we moved back to Melbourne, but our situation changed and we ended up getting tenants in and having to rent another place for us.

Then we got a second dog and the yard isn't big enough for two (it wasn't really big enough for one, but Korben hangs out inside all day anyway), so now we get to start the joys of house hunting all over again!

edited February 2017
    The guy who was selling me the mirror actually had a warehouse full of stuff he was selling (or rather he is an employee of someone who's selling it). He was able to find me a second mirror for the same price as the first, new in the box, $120 for both. I also bought a pair of binoculars and a tent.

So, parts I still need to upgrade my master bedroom: A granite vanity top, some backer board for the wall tiling, some thinset, and... dang, that's really it. I have everything else I need. Well, I actually do need to work out how to make 12x12 squares (or some other square measurement) by mixing the tiles I have, since I don't have enough of any one type to cover all the walls.

Cambiata on
  • stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I went to inspect some rental place today, but the inspection got cancelled once I'd already left work and gone there.

The bar nearby had a big hanging sign that said "No Pokies". So of course I had a few inside during their happy hour.

One of the thing that still irks me about this state is the prevalence of poker machines (slots) in bars.

stimtokolos on
    Not in WA!

Pokies in pubs make me feel ridiculously uncomfortable.

This discussion has been closed.