As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

selling loose sapphire

grungeboxgrungebox Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I got engaged a while back, and my gf and I went out and got some local guy to put a ring together. At the time, my gf wanted a small gem (~.6 ct). However, she's changed her mind and wants a larger one (~1 ct). So, I wanted to know what's the best way to unload the original sapphire (not diamond) from the engagement ring? I know diamonds lose value quickly, but do sapphires? Also, do I need an appraisal for a small gem (maybe .6 ct)? Thanks.

Quail is just hipster chicken
grungebox on

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Have you tried hitting Ebay? While not a precise match, it might let you start to ballpark it, and then consider hitting a local jeweler to get a more accurate appraisal?

Edit: By 'hit ebay", I mean as a method of getting even a rough idea what they might sell for based on size/weight, and then getting someone qualified to double check that and perhaps quantify any cut or clarity value.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm not sure if Blue Nile does this kind of thing, but they might - they are basically a diamond retailer online - selling stones and the like. But they may just be for diamonds and diamond dealers.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Sapphires do not lose value quickly because they are actually valuable gems. The premium paid for diamonds, outside of the inflated monopoly prices and engagement markup, is also largely from the lack of used diamonds. The saying "Diamonds are forever" is more of a statement that it's not worthwhile to resell it (even though it obviously is, you'll just lose a lot since most people paid inflated prices).

Anyway, yes, you can sell your sapphire. You can sell loose gems on eBay, and likely find a good buyer. You can also probably sell it to a jewelry store, believe it or not. Any jewelry store that keeps a jeweler on staff will trade in loose gems, as well as older jewelry, as besides the resale market their jewelers can use it to create new goods, or spruce up an old design.

Call around some local stores to see what they say. Obviously they'll take some cut if you want to sell it straight up.

One interesting option, if money is no object, is to incorporate the smaller sapphire into the larger one's design. Is your fiance interested in a new ring, modifying the current design, or simply replacing the stone? If it's the first 2, you can spring for a double-whammy since you both already own a ring (which has some precious metal, I assume, that can be reworked into the design) and a gem. If it's the 3rd, I would strongly suggest she head to a jewelry store to look at 1ct sapphires in person, with the ring handy for comparison. She may not like the current design simply with a larger gem installed, or she may decide that the price/work isn't worth it for what may be a subtle size increase, depending on the ring design.

Finally, is the gem mined or artificial?

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    EggyToast wrote: »
    Finally, is the gem mined or artificial?

I don't mean to thread jack but as someone whose been recently getting into the purchase of jewelry for a loved one I have to ask, what's the difference in terms of value between a mined stone and an artificial stone? I know what the physical difference is, but it seems to me that the price is kind of a wash. Mined gems obviously give the impression of being rare, discovered stones, and therefore carry a value, but lab created gems seem to have a greater value in my mind because they're made to have fewer impurities.

I was just curious.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    That's pretty much it. Also mined stones take a very long time to occur. Artificial ones do not.

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    There is a color difference in sapphires. Mined sapphires are darker, also much prettier.

Why not set the stone in something else? Surely the original engagement rock has some sentimental value.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Mined ones are more rare because someone had to pull them out of the earth, which raises their value. Also, the vast majority of mined gems have flaws -- some minor, some major -- that affect their color and appearance. A lab created gem is typically perfect, which is great for expressing a singular color. But mined gems are usually more interesting due to those imperfections and variations.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    LifeVirusZEROLifeVirusZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Forar wrote: »
    Have you tried hitting Ebay.........................

DUDE, That's a LOT of WoW characters. I mean JEEZ. I have ONE lvl 70 and i feel like it took my entire life to get. Ok I'm done.

I agree with eBay.

LifeVirusZERO on
    6ltl5i0ap7.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Forar wrote: »
    Have you tried hitting Ebay.........................

DUDE, That's a LOT of WoW characters. I mean JEEZ. I have ONE lvl 70 and i feel like it took my entire life to get. Ok I'm done.

I agree with eBay.

It's a H/A thread in the making: "So, I've spent the last three years addicted to WoW" followed by the H/A thread "So, I want to make back some serious cash on a maxed out WoW account", followed by tears that my time isn't worth nearly what I hope it will be.

But I digress.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    grungeboxgrungebox Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Okay, so I went on eBay and prices are super crazy low. Like, suspiciously low. $50 for a 1.2 ct VVS sapphire seems really bizarre to me. Unless, of course, we were totally ripped off, but this was from a wholesaler who we met through a friend. I'll call some local jewelers and see what they say.

And, I could put it in something else, but my gf just wants a replacement stone. It's just a gem; it's not like it was passed down or something, so there's no real emotional attachment.

Anyways, this thread is more or less done. Thanks, guys.

grungebox on
    Quail is just hipster chicken
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have good reason to believe that if you set the stone into a necklace for Christmas, she'll love it.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    wallabeeXwallabeeX Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have good reason to believe that if you set the stone into a necklace for Christmas, she'll love it.

A++

This man speaks truth.

wallabeeX on