As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Of 8800GT's (Dell deal over!) (Microcenter Deal: $220)

urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
Updated: 1/29/08:
Microcenter: (EVGA 8800GT)
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0279319

OLD:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Games/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=A1348853

If you guys are interested in picking up an 8800GT for cheap, that link I just posted will hopefully take you to Dell's website where they have a MSI GeForce 8800GT for $207. After tax it came out to $222.

I should receive the card 12/13 which kinda sucks, but I can wait. :)

The above link is showing $259, but BubbaT has found a workaround:
BubbaT wrote: »
This link is still showing $208 for me.

Dell EPP link

edit: sometimes when you click that link it asks you for a school ID at checkout.

Just go to

http://www.dell.com/content/default.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=eep&cs=6007

Click on Electronics, Software and Accessories

then search for "8800gt" and the MSI should show up as $208. Add to Cart and Checkout from there, and it shouldn't prompt you for an ID number. You may have to enter the name of your own "business" though.

urahonky on

• RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Thanks for the tip. Cancelled my back-order on Amazon and ordered this one. Saved me $50!

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Not a problem sir. I was hoping to save some people monies. :)

urahonky on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    In for 1, scheduled to ship 12/10.

They also have the XFX version for $235 if you want the double-lifetime warranty. Warranty on the MSI is 3 years.

BubbaT on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Holy hell that is a great deal. Just slightly less power than the 8800 GTX at less than half the price.

The question is, then, why are the high-end G80s still so maddingly expensive?

Zxerol on
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Says $260 for me :/

Its all good though. My friend is selling me his 8800gts 320mb for $150(He's... dumb, lets just put it that way), and I'm selling my X1950pro for $100, so I get a nice new graphics card for $50 net :)

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Damn, it's up to $260. :(

edit: Any Dell coupon codes out there? I mean, $260 still seems to be a good price at the moment, but still...

SteevL on
    edited November 2007

Dell EPP link

edit: sometimes when you click that link it asks you for a school ID at checkout.

Just go to

then search for "8800gt" and the MSI should show up as $208. Add to Cart and Checkout from there, and it shouldn't prompt you for an ID number. You may have to enter the name of your own "business" though.

BubbaT on
    edited November 2007
    Also, some people have been able to get a free upgrade to next day shipping, due to the delay between order and ship date. The normal free shipping is 3-5 business days, and next day shipping is $16. You'll have to call or chat with a CSR. Tell them you're concerned you won't get the card in time for Christmas.

BubbaT on
  • MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I suppose it was silly of me to expect Dell, of all companies, to export to the United Kingdom. Dell's offer comes to around one half the price of an 8800GT in these parts, so imagine my crushing disappointment.

Nice find, regardless. Everyone who can get in on this is a lucky son of a whore.

Mumblyfish on
    edited November 2007

Dell EPP link

Just go to

Wow, thanks. I hope this works. Kind of weird that it asks for my "company name"...I put the initials of the place I work for. Hopefully that's good enough.

SteevL on
    edited November 2007
    Updated OP with BubbaT's information. Thank you sir!

urahonky on
    edited November 2007
    SteevL wrote: »

Dell EPP link

Just go to

Wow, thanks. I hope this works. Kind of weird that it asks for my "company name"...I put the initials of the place I work for. Hopefully that's good enough.

Nah, they never check. The "company" I use doesn't exist, unless selling old games on eBay consitutes a business.

BubbaT on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Holy hell that is a great deal. Just slightly less power than the 8800 GTX at less than half the price.

The question is, then, why are the high-end G80s still so maddingly expensive?

I think it's just the cost of making them. You can get more 8800GTs from a silicon 'sheet?'.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • theantipoptheantipop Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    OH MY FCKING GOD.
    Total $218.39
    Core Clock Speed 660 MHz
    Memory Clock Speed 1.9 GHz

I was pissed yesterday that I missed the 20% off Newegg orders paid through Paypal thing, but you've just saved me the $50 I lost there plus actually found a place that has 8800gt's in stock. I love you.

I just hope they don't check my school and find out I graduated last year. D: Also, ouch... my wallet hurts.

theantipop on
    edited November 2007
    Not a problem sir. Glad it saved you money... Sorta. My wallet is in tears too, but it'll be worth it in the end.

urahonky on
    edited November 2007
    theantipop wrote: »
    OH MY FCKING GOD.
    Total $218.39
    Core Clock Speed 660 MHz
    Memory Clock Speed 1.9 GHz

I was pissed yesterday that I missed the 20% off Newegg orders paid through Paypal thing, but you've just saved me the $50 I lost there plus actually found a place that has 8800gt's in stock. I love you.

I just hope they don't check my school and find out I graduated last year. D: Also, ouch... my wallet hurts.

Well, if it makes you feel better the Paypal thing was a rebate, not a discount, and there were a bunch of problems with them not paying out the rebates the last time they ran a similar promotion. Plus, Paypal wasn't guaranteeing the rebate until January 2009.

But don't read this then if you don't want to still be pissed
    The 20% off Paypal rebate for Cyber Monday was also working at Dell, which would have made the card ~$170 after rebate :P

BubbaT on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    D:!

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • LizardLizard Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm going to buy two. One to put in my case, and one to put down the front of my pants.

Lizard on
    edited November 2007
    ****!!!

Oh well, I'll have my parents new computer and my new hard drive and video card and not have to worry about stupid deals I always just miss for another couple of years. Still. Damnit.

Also, I noticed the deal started on or around 11/24 and they estimate shipping at 1-2 weeks. Anyone order last week and get a shipping notice yet?

theantipop on
    edited November 2007
    I ordered it pretty early yesterday, as did my friend. As soon as I get a shipping notice, I'll be sure to let you guys know.

urahonky on
  • SrazekSrazek Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I want them to ship to canada. :(

Srazek on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2007
    Estimated ship date for me is 12/14. At that price, it's worth the wait.

SteevL on
    edited November 2007
    You're going to wait anyway for full price. They're all sold out at NewEgg and when they do come up, it's $300 versions that sell out instantly.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, I've been watching Newegg, but I did have the opportunity to buy one at $300 from there yesterday morning. I was tempted, but decided to wait until either a.) January or b.) some crazy deal like this comes up.

SteevL on
  • squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Okay, I think I more or less have the choice out of for my new system:

XFX 8800GT 256M PCIe - $359AU
    ASUS 8800GT 512M PCIe - $395AU
    Palit 8800GT 512M PCIe - $395AU
    Albatron GeForce 8800GT 512M - $409AU

Actually, there are some other brands too, like a BFG one for $419 but that and most others are out of stock. :/

http://www.umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=4 - If you go to "Video cards" on the left than "PCI Express" and browse through the 8800 section you can get a good idea or http://www.computeralliance.com.au/parts.aspx?qrySubCat=VPX

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I can't believe how cheap these cards are. I can't wait to get my new rig.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2007
    Heh, looks like they're no longer available.

SteevL on
  • CycophantCycophant Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Anyone else think the stock amount should increase and/or the price should settle down a bit more towards Christmas or so? I just had my desktop shipped up to me, but Purolator decided to drop it and busted my video card. So it seems like a good time to jump on the 8800GT bandwagon, but since I really won't need the card until early January, I might as well try to wait for the prices to come down.

Cycophant on
    sig.gif
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Bah! I missed it. Anyone know when the 92/9800 series will be out?

Carnarvon on
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Carnarvon wrote: »

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/30/nvidia-preparing-geforce

February maybe, my money is on easter though.

Rook on
    edited November 2007
    I was gonna hold off on the DX10 cards, but I couldn't resist the deal Dell was offering.. Sigh.

urahonky on
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Rook wrote: »
    Carnarvon wrote: »

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/30/nvidia-preparing-geforce

February maybe, my money is on easter though.

Graaaaah. I held off buying an 8 series card when I got my new comp because I wanted to get a nice 9800GTS. Now I don't know if I want to wait and save money just for it to be delayed for another 6 months(thus being stuck with a 7300LE), or just cave in and get an 8800.

Carnarvon on
    edited January 2008
    For all you folks who, like me, had Dell pull the ol' Delay-Delay-Cancel trick, ClubIT is selling the MSI for $216.

http://www.clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=A9654050

BubbaT on
    edited January 2008
    In Stock: Sold Out
    ClubIT Price: $255.90

RandomEngy on
    edited January 2008
    Sigh... I'm still holding out for the Dell deal.

urahonky on
    edited January 2008
    So they delayed it AGAIN till 2/19... So I just canceled. They've been stringing me along since late November. 3 months is long enough.

urahonky on
    edited January 2008
    Yeah it's been awful. Order in November and they say they will ship in December. The ship date arises and they say it's delayed until Jan 15th. Jan 15th comes and on that day they send another mail saying they'll ship on the 22nd. 22nd comes and they say they've delayed again and will ship on Feb 19th. What a crummy policy; I'm never back-ordering anything from them again, no matter how good a deal they promise. I'm getting it shipped from somewhere else.

RandomEngy on
  • CycophantCycophant Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    All right, I've discovered my video card is dead, so I'm going to need a new one.

Here's the options I'm looking at (keep in mind this is CDN):

$254.99
    Palit GeForce 8800GT Sonic 650MHZ 512MB 1.9GHZ DDR3

$189.99
    EVGA E-GEFORCE 8800GTS 500MHZ 320MB 1.6GHZ GDDR3

$219.99
    Galaxy GeForce 8800GT Overclocked 600MHZ 512MB 2.0GHZ DDR3

$269.99
    Galaxy GeForce 8800GTS 650MHZ 512MB 1.94GHZ DDR3

So - that EVGA is a great deal, but I'm worried the 320meg of RAM is going to severely hamstring it. Palit I've never heard of, but I threw up the option anyway, just in case. I'm more leaning towards the two Galaxy cards; but I remember hearing that most 8800GT's will perform the same as the 8800GTS for the most part. If that's the case, the 8800GT overclocked seems like the perfect card for me, since it's nice and cheap too. Would the GTS be worth the extra $50 for a slightly higher clockspeed and whatever other improvements the GTS brings over the GT?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Cycophant on
    sig.gif
    edited January 2008
    I've never heard of Galaxy or Palit before. I probably wouldn't buy from them. :( I'd try for a good EVGA/BFG one that has more than 320MB.

If you're going to buy one, aim high.

urahonky on
    edited January 2008
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    Yeah it's been awful. Order in November and they say they will ship in December. The ship date arises and they say it's delayed until Jan 15th. Jan 15th comes and on that day they send another mail saying they'll ship on the 22nd. 22nd comes and they say they've delayed again and will ship on Feb 19th. What a crummy policy; I'm never back-ordering anything from them again, no matter how good a deal they promise. I'm getting it shipped from somewhere else.

That sucks. I ordered on the 29th and got mine the second week of December.

theantipop on