As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nioh: Onimusouls Action Available on Feb 7!

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    Dac wrote: »
    Oof. Onryoki was rough to learn. Maybe ten attempts. Hopefully I get better at this game.

Bosses only get easier from here. . .to kill you mean I mean.

Honestly the best suggestions I can give starting out:

1. Learn the dodge Ki Pulse immediately. It counts for all weapons and you're unlikely to use the R1 Ki Pulse unless you're comboing.

2.Pick a weapon and stick with it. Same with your off weapon. Doesn't have to be "fast" and "heavy", just pick two that you think are cool to use and focus on them. Same with Ninjutsu and Omoyo. There are some great spells in each, but you're going to need to spend points in Dex and Magic if you really want them to shine.

3. Do not sell your gear or offer it at the shrine (well maybe the white gear). Disassemble it at the Blacksmith so that you can craft better gear for yourself.

4. Don't be afraid to rerun missions, or help as a visitor.

5. Patience. You can dodge all these idiots. ESPECIALLY the bosses. I tried to treat it like Dark Souls and that just doesn't work. Team Ninja wants you to FIGHT these bosses, not burn them down a la Dark Souls.

What does the bolded mean?

There was a thread of criticism from reviewers that the bosses were "bullet sponges" which is absolutely true, and that you had to be absolutely on your game "for ten minutes or so an encounter" (which is absurd). The bosses have huge health pools relative to Dark Souls. Unlike Dark Souls, you can't rush in and beat the encounter in like 30 seconds (well not at the outset). They want you to engage the bosses and not have you go "Oh, there was a 2nd phase to that. . .?"

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    Oof. Onryoki was rough to learn. Maybe ten attempts. Hopefully I get better at this game.

Bosses only get easier from here. . .to kill you mean I mean.

Honestly the best suggestions I can give starting out:

1. Learn the dodge Ki Pulse immediately. It counts for all weapons and you're unlikely to use the R1 Ki Pulse unless you're comboing.

2.Pick a weapon and stick with it. Same with your off weapon. Doesn't have to be "fast" and "heavy", just pick two that you think are cool to use and focus on them. Same with Ninjutsu and Omoyo. There are some great spells in each, but you're going to need to spend points in Dex and Magic if you really want them to shine.

3. Do not sell your gear or offer it at the shrine (well maybe the white gear). Disassemble it at the Blacksmith so that you can craft better gear for yourself.

4. Don't be afraid to rerun missions, or help as a visitor.

5. Patience. You can dodge all these idiots. ESPECIALLY the bosses. I tried to treat it like Dark Souls and that just doesn't work. Team Ninja wants you to FIGHT these bosses, not burn them down a la Dark Souls.

What does the bolded mean?

There was a thread of criticism from reviewers that the bosses were "bullet sponges" which is absolutely true, and that you had to be absolutely on your game "for ten minutes or so an encounter" (which is absurd). The bosses have huge health pools relative to Dark Souls. Unlike Dark Souls, you can't rush in and beat the encounter in like 30 seconds (well not at the outset). They want you to engage the bosses and not have you go "Oh, there was a 2nd phase to that. . .?"

Ahh.

Most Dark Souls bosses did not get rushed down by me so thus why I was confused.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I agree with the "too much loot" complaint. I don't like loot and fiddling in menus, and I especially don't like being shoved into it to optimize my gear through marginal improvement. I like the rest of the game, where I actually fight things.

The sheer volume of garbage loot you get and the busywork to process it through the smith (who apparently has an industrial disassembly line to deal with the six tons of metal you carry back from every mission) is really annoying even if you totally ignore crafting, because you have to move it or get rid of it to still use your menu, and you are constantly comparing gear.

But that irritation evaporates when I parry a guy and then chop off all his limbs and blood fountains everywhere, so. Still really enjoying it.

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    I'm working through the night, come tomorrow I will open up this bad boy and start my playthrough.

Excited.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    I was gonna say, I wondered if I needed to grind or something because of how little damage I was doing to the boss. And I thought I might be missing opportunities for an exploit maneuver or something when he fell over after breaking parts. I guess not - just wail on him. And high stance, not low (which is where I spend most of my time).

The soul matching system kind of reminds me of Disgaea - level equipment to pull off the modifier you want.

What happens if you transfer a modifier onto a piece of equipment that's already there, and not in the transfer slot? Would it stack?

I'm curious about whether a barehanded build is feasible, but I'd need to stack the barehanded bonus to the ceiling.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Yea, not getting the complaints about the lootsplosions. They are absolutely critical for any kind of gear forging (which is the cheapest way of getting high level gear as Soul Forging cost a ridiculous amount of coin).

Who the heck would complain about a loot based game throwing loot at you...?

See: Diablo 3 at launch? That was a goddamned fucked up mess primarily because of all the garbage loot littering the screen.

Not that much of a problem in Nioh since it has actual value. In Diablo 3, at launch, a vast majority didn't. Just giving a valid example here because that was one of the primary complaints about Diablo 3's launch loot system and they completely retooled it into a better game as a result.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Dracil wrote: »
    So apparently something else about that spoiler for min-maxers.
    That stat bonuses you choose are permanent. Even if you use the book of reincarnation you won't get them back. I forgot my choices but I may actually restart if I one of my choices was for something that is not necessarily always good for all builds, like dex. Body (HP), Spirit (Guardian unlocks), and Heart (Ki) or Stamina (Heavier armor) are probably the best general stats.

One point is nothing, you will get so many levels. Untold levels.

That said, Heart, Body and Spirit will always be used. They give you ki, hp and them sweet sweet passives off the guardian spirit. Everyone will want at least 11 spirit it seems. Such a low investment for much return.

I think I chose Body and Dex. Are you guys saying that that was a min-maxing mistake?

• Options
    Sorry for triple post, but:

Prologue spoilers and question:
    I stumbled onto the prologue boss fight without fully exploring the starting area. Does that matter? Nothing seems to carry over after the jump. Anyone know if I might have missed something that would have an impact later?

• Options
    edited February 2017
    I agree with the "too much loot" complaint. I don't like loot and fiddling in menus, and I especially don't like being shoved into it to optimize my gear through marginal improvement. I like the rest of the game, where I actually fight things.

The sheer volume of garbage loot you get and the busywork to process it through the smith (who apparently has an industrial disassembly line to deal with the six tons of metal you carry back from every mission) is really annoying even if you totally ignore crafting, because you have to move it or get rid of it to still use your menu, and you are constantly comparing gear.

Lock the items you want to keep, and Select All - Disassemble what you don't want. I spend like 2 second getting rid of the trash in my inventory.

And I wouldn't sit there comparing gear to be honest. The real gear will come off mission rewards or through smithing.
    Drez wrote: »

I stumbled onto the prologue boss fight without fully exploring the starting area. Does that matter? Nothing seems to carry over after the jump. Anyone know if I might have missed something that would have an impact later?

All the loot you picked up is still there in your storehouse. Easy way to get upgrade materials. And there's nothing really there other than a longer than it needed to be prologue.

ED! on
  • Options

Lock the items you want to keep, and Select All - Disassemble what you don't want. I spend like 2 second getting rid of the trash in my inventory.

And I wouldn't sit there comparing gear to be honest. The real gear will come off mission rewards or through smithing.
    Drez wrote: »

All the loot you picked up is still there in your storehouse. Easy way to get upgrade materials. And there's nothing really there other than a longer than it needed to be prologue.

So nothing special I missed? No unique loot or anything?

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    you can go back into the area if you missed any of the little spirits that boost your collection rates, which it think is the only unique kind of loot there is specific to an area.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Yo, low stance spear is my fucking jam!

I had to stop for a little bit... I hope it just loads me at the last shrine I visited when I start it back up...

I'm really liking it so far, though! I was worried it was going to immediately kick my ass, but the faster combat and ki pulse mechanic make this more manageable for some reason. Died to a big sword yokai guy, but I got him figured out! When I jump back in, that fucker is so dead. He has no idea.

Also, for loot, I've been following Diablo rules and just automatically equipping anything better. Good idea Y/N?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I'm lost in the Prologue and afraid to use a checkpoint because these fights are stupid. Where am I supposed to go? I've been outside with all the dead end gates.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    The yellow souls from the dead people? They usually give you a clue of what to do.
    Generally you wanna head up. Though I would collect a full set of gear if you ever feel like you may wanna look like a British knight in Japan.

Getting a couple pieces of the heavy armor will make you a lot more durable too. But you can avoid the knights if you don't feel like you can take them on. There's multiple paths.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    Cantido wrote: »
    I'm lost in the Prologue and afraid to use a checkpoint because these fights are stupid. Where am I supposed to go? I've been outside with all the dead end gates.

Keep going up the stairs.

• Options
    Also use rocks on the knight dudes to pull em into 1 v 1 fights.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    I just skipped them all. Not really worth it and they don't leach.

EDIT: Jesus Christ the rage.

ED! on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I managed to clutch out onryoki on the first attempt. Spent half the fight with a sliver of health left.

Is there a shortcut in the first stage sub-mission? The door is disabled for some reason. I keep eating a full combo from one of the big health bar dickheads and doing the whole level each time is getting obnoxious.

Edit: Apparently big dick big health bar is the area boss. Explains some things.

Elendil on
  • Options
    There are two icons on a mission: the shrine and the tori gate. If either aren't present you can't do it.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Tachibana Muneshige is still a huge dickhead.
    But now I got two lightning dogs, so it's all good.

• Options
    Onryoki is fucking me up something fierce...

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Okay the story behind that occultist is pretty cool. Although I would love to see a DLC where you fight a Portugese invasion using local Iberian mythical monsters to conquer Japan.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Dude...

I don't think I can go back to Dark Souls after this silky smooth 60FPS fucking bliss of a game!

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Dude...

I don't think I can go back to Dark Souls after this silky smooth 60FPS fucking bliss of a game!

Tell me more about how you achieved 60 frames.

Also, I just got a PS4 Pro.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Fuck you, bats

Fuck you

• Options
    metaghost wrote: »
    Tachibana Muneshige is still a huge dickhead.
    But now I got two lightning dogs, so it's all good.

Found him much easier than in the demos. Though I'm sure his encounter is connected to unlocking shit in the skill trees so. . .be seeing him again.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Dude...

Tell me more about how you achieved 60 frames.

Also, I just got a PS4 Pro.

Set it to Action mode?

• Options
    Woooo! Onryoki down... this is gonna be a loooooong game... =/

This 100% accurate tale of history's first weeb sure is a harrowing one.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    THIS SECOND BOSS OF THE GAME PROPER, NOT COUNTING THE FIRST ONE IN THE PROLOGUE. I AM LOSING MY PATIENCE WITH THIS.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Viskod wrote: »
    THIS SECOND BOSS OF THE GAME PROPER, NOT COUNTING THE FIRST ONE IN THE PROLOGUE. I AM LOSING MY PATIENCE WITH THIS.

Only counterattack the dives.

Finished a couple of Mission 3 runs with people and hooboy. I feel like this is where the game opens up. My suggestion to folks would be to not be afraid to level.

ED! on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular

I've only tried her a few times, but yeah shes kinda annoying. maybe its my weapon tho...using chain. that might be the problem.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Its her spinning attacks that keep closing space that are getting me, I can't seem to be far enough away to avoid *those* but then be anywhere remotely close enough to hit her. I've had the best luck dodging and attacking after the purple projectiles, but when she just starts spinning constantly it fucks me over.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Its her spinning attacks that keep closing space that are getting me, I can't seem to be far enough away to avoid *those* but then be anywhere remotely close enough to hit her. I've had the best luck dodging and attacking after the purple projectiles, but when she just starts spinning constantly it fucks me over.

I just got to her arena, I think, and haven't fought her yet. This is making me apprehensive.

I found the key to boss 1 to be low stance, since the dodge is so fast--i didn't even need to retreat from his spinning chains as I could dodge right through them, if I was feeling ballsy. If her attacks are faster and harder to dodge this will be challenging.

• Options
    edited February 2017

Go into low stance and double backdash when she closes in for the spin. You should be able to avoid it most times.

Punish on her kicking combo and umbrella combo, preferable with a move that will sap her stamina, of which she doesn't have a ton.

Dodge her projectile and use the second dash to close in and deal another stamina hit. Do the same when she charges.

When you break her stamina, you have room to do a combo or two, depending on the speed of your weapon. You must BE CAREFUL, though, because if you're still in melee range when she gets back up, she will 100% go for a grab that has a very quick, large hitbox that drains you and heals her. (I didn't go for this deliberately, but if you have precise timing, you can backdash as her get-up animation begins, so her grab animation will happen but she'll miss, leaving her open for another punish.)

Guardian Spirit Talisman with the bird dealt her a 100% guaranteed knockdown as well.

I also got a Paralysis charm at some point in that level and that was invaluable for dealing with her status bullshit.

Took me about 20 attempts to get everything down. Dual Blades/Light Armor/A Agility, and I did the fight almost entirely in Low stance.

Dac on
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Bahaha, just finished the vampire off with kunai. That's what you get for trying to fly in front of a friggin ninja! Using a spear seems to make that fight really easy, you can keep out of her attack range but still remain close enough to capitalize on her tiny ass recovery windows.

• Options
    I thought I was doing the first area's side mission, but I guess I just re-selected the story mission... heh. But at least I have Onryoki down pat. Went from 15 deaths to only 2, so that's something I guess.

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Just beat her as well, all in all < 10 attempts. Her spin attack was probably the most annoying but I somehow got the timing down so when I finally downed her she missed every time. As a fight it really punishes you for trying to be greedy. Once I realized I needed to really take it slow I did a lot better.

• Options
    This fucking third boss
    Nue seems like straight up fucking bugged. If you hit the vulnerable area the boss snaps immediately to neutral from whatever position it was in. Doesn't stagger. So it can and will immediately fuck you up.

Uuuugh I'm fucking hating the shit out of this guy.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Her spin attack and auto-stun are the most dangerous. I just baited out her big recovery stuff, like the flip kick and the grab, and punished. She seemed more intimidating the first couple of attempts than she actually ended up being. I think it took me six attempts.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Ok, I did some experimentation with the prestige system.
    At first it seemed kind of consistent, but it is in fact just random. I think the long and short of it is, if you're trying to min-max, pick 3 from each list you *don't* want. And you will be able to force the game to give you a selection of the other 5 bonuses.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide