As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Black Desert Online (Orwen Server Ch. Mediah O1)

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Well, there is an awful lot of stuff there for someone returning from like a month after launch.

I saw this house thing mentioned. I dunno what it is, but the free money gave me 64 million since I last logged in. That is nice.

I mostly just wanted to reinstall to fool around. Also to see how good the game looks now that I have a near maxed PC. Also also because the tamer I had made is likely the nicest looking character I have ever created and I missed her.

But now I think I could actually get caught up and see what the end game was like, instead of logging on to fish multiple times a day and earn like 500k. Cause that was all I was doing when I left.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Well a number of things certainly have changed.

Crafting doesn't cost energy, which is awesome. Gathering still does, but eh, I'm fine with it.

The House Fame thing is just a daily stipend based on all the characters you have and their various levels plus some other things.

Daily rewards and daily bonuses make level a breeze, not even including the supercharged XP channels for returning players (Olvia by the by).

Horse racing, on the second channel of each set. Mediah 2, Velia 2, etc.

Horse tiers are up to 7 or 8, I forget which, I just know I saw an unbreedable (and unresetable) female priced at 48 million. I look forward to getting back in to horse taming and breeding.

I believe there are a few proper MMO styled dungeons. IIRC one launched shortly before I stopped playing long ago (around the time of Mediah's launch).

Awakened weapons are cool and I believe every class has access to theirs.

This last one I might be crazy and just mistaken, but I swear when I last played you had to spend skill points to upgrade your basic LMB attack. Now it just upgrades at no cost to you as you level. Seems to be a few skills like this.

Node wars and guilds claiming territory is a thing which I'm pretty sure wasn't in when I last played.

Guild, uh, stuff is a thing now to. Like guild ships, elephants, etc.

There is a new type of trading called Imperial Trading. Not really sure what the deal is with it. I'm sure it does something special.

I've no clue if this was in at launch, if it was I never knew, but when you hit O it brings up a quest log and one of the tabs at the top is Suggestions which is broken down in to various categories. The most important to me is the Inventory Expansion category. Which list all the quests you can do to get more inventory space. Even has a button to take you right to the NPC.

Oh and Auto Loop is a thing if you want to do Strength or Horse training.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    Yeah they had just gotten auto loop in before I left. Otherwise most of that is new to me, half of it I didn't know about (I knew the Awakenings were supposed to be done by now, which is HUGE because new playstyles are great).

I just got like most of the way through all my mail and it put me at like 73mil silver. I got some belt from a thing that frankly doesn't seem too exciting and sells for 53 mil, so I would rather have the money to buy a bunch of moderate stuff. So now I can pretty much set myself up to level to 55 or whatever and check out the awakening shiz.

Still have a ton of free stuff I don't even know what to do with yet.

Oh and that no energy to craft is huge. I always wanted to do that whole trading empire thing but some guy who made the guide for it basically said don't bother when he found out it cost energy on our version. But from the sound of it none of that is really big money anymore when you can grind for a few hours and hit solid numbers.

edited January 2017
    Things I learned today;

Mama elephant does not take kindly to people trying to steal her babies away to be made in to mounts.

On another note, Valencia is e-m-p-t-y! Not surprised I suppose, the distance to travel is great and it is so far removed from everything else. edit- Oh and the continually losing health to heatstroke or hypothermia while inside the city walls of Valencia is probably a pretty big turn off.

I suspect the Dark Elf and Giant lands will be far more populated since those border Calpheon and (IIRC) Serendia respectively. No crazy desert or ocean to cross, just hop on a horse and ride there.

Axen on
  • BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    So I had this morning off of work. Made a wizard as I don't remember how to play my 22 ranger. Got the wizard to 20 in about 2 hours as I was trying to remember how to do stuff.

I still have no idea what the hell I'm doing. I still have all my workers from before, but no idea how to make them do shit lol. Is it better just to level up and worry about that crap later on?

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
    I know how ya feel.

I had made a new character when I got back in, got to level 40 some. Felt like I had a handle on things and went back to my main. Thankfully the game is super alt friendly so all that progress I made goes to the greater good.

Still fuzzy on the worker situation, but I got them harvesting wheat so I can make those grain juices. That'll do for now.

Currently I've been exploring and whaling.

I also came back to 80mil in silver. So that's a cool thing. No idea what I should spend silver on in this game though.

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
    Bloodycow wrote: »
    I also came back to 80mil in silver. So that's a cool thing. No idea what I should spend silver on in this game though.

I would just google a guide for whatever your main class is and then buy the recommended gear. 80mil should be enough to outfit one character greatly or two characters rather well.

Yeah I spent like 3 hours organizing my way back into the game and like 1 hour trying to fly through the main quests on my Tamer. Was 13 and ended the night at 24. I avoided any real grinding though just to fly through those quests as I think they all unlock something.

I looked through the guides and got myself the most cost effective way to solid gear. Which is pretty much Liverto weapon and whatever armor set you choose (apparently a few of them are viable). Then gem the best you can with what it currently on the market. I did make the mistake of forgetting how much enchanting fails take away dura and ended up with a 15 max dura liverto, so oops. I got it back to 31 and just said I am going to deal with that for now.

I saved a lot of the silver for other things later. Mainly I am hoping to grab a certain outfit off the market. You can't preorder them though so that might be a little hard to do. I saw some people making requests in trade, so I wonder if I am supposed to do that? They were talking about making sure to make it worth their while. As far as I know you can't do direct trades, so I am not sure how you are supposed to encourage someone to buy a certain thing for you.

I might build up another char too because apparently that bonus money is helped by having more alts.

The mistake I made with the game before was going really, really deep into all the side stuff and forgoing the actual leveling and combat. Which is really what I will likely like the most. Of course there wasn't as much to do with it back then. So now I am going to focus entirely on leveling a character or two. Then worry about extra stuff later.

Pearl items are very reasonably priced on the market.

About 25mil for an entire outfit set + weapon set is a fair deal IMO.

The problem is that those things sell almost as fast as they're put up on the market. :?

Thats what I was saying. Plus I don't think people put some of them up much because they likely only pick the best selling ones and be done with it.

So I think you need to like, make a deal with someone or something, I just don't know how you do it.

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    The desert is pretty rad. There be dragons out there. Also other grindables. Also people who want to murder you.

Course I got myself a fox for the heat stroke/hypothermia resist.

I still just love fishing and it's even more fun now that I can hop in the water and go looking for treasure chests or stuff to harvest on the ocean floor. Makes me want to buy that silly shark outfit.

steam_sig.png
    Ok, I'm sure this is a stupid question, but my Google fu sucks this morning.

I got a couple gold bars 100g and like 4 10g and a few 1g ones. My only thinking is that it makes for transporting lots of money easier as they are lighter then trying to move 10mil in silver.

But where the hell do I cash them in at or are they only used for investment banking?

― John Quincy Adams
    Ok, I'm sure this is a stupid question, but my Google fu sucks this morning.

I got a couple gold bars 100g and like 4 10g and a few 1g ones. My only thinking is that it makes for transporting lots of money easier as they are lighter then trying to move 10mil in silver.

But where the hell do I cash them in at or are they only used for investment banking?

At the warehouse. There is a convert option or something right next to the storage button.

steam_sig.png
    I was amazed by this when I first played the game and have been quickly reminded of it since getting back in to it, but the fact that the NPCs of each region have their own unique armor, clothing, and weapon styles blows my mind. Doubly so since a lot of NPCs have unique weapon types and models not used by players. This isn't even counting all the various clothing/armor variations for every single NPC race.

Considering how expensive games are to make, not to mention MMOs, the fact that there are a crap load of armor, clothing, and weapons models that players do not have access (and vice versa) is crazy to me.

Which is all very cool, but can suck sometimes as I love the Arabian styles of Mediah/Valencia and would love to outfit my character in their clothes. C'est la vie.

• Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    I can't watch the video on the previous page at the moment to see what all is new in the game, so can anyone tell me if the dye system ever got overhauled? It used to be awful and I remember the devs had promised to fix it, but that never happened while I was still in the game.

For me, the whole PvP focus kinda drove me away. I don't mind that there's PvP obviously, but I dislike being forced into it. I loved the combat system in this game, but probably my greatest joy was breeding horses just to see what crazy combos I could get. I was logged into the game nearly 24/7, with much of that spent AFK horse-leveling, but I'd also spend time online going through the market, buying new candidates to train up and breed while selling off my creations to fund my empire.

If being a merchant was actually a profitable thing I could do, I totally would have been into that as well. Sadly, it was never worth it and by the sounds of things, it still really isn't. A missed opportunity, I think.

edited February 2017
    Hm, I can't really remember the dye system from launch well enough. I can say that you can buy dye from the marketplace. But over all I've not had a problem with it so I'm not much help there. It's like any other game, you collect dye and dye your stuff.

On the PvP side I'd say it is a non-issue. I've been playing pretty heavily for a week now and I've never been attacked by another player. For the most part people don't PvP since the attacker has too much to loose and the defender has nothing to loose.

Though stay vigilant of guildless players. If a player PKs then their whole guild gets punished. So just keep an eye on those not in a guild. Oh, also if their name is red either kill them or run. Red is dead.

From what I understand about the only time you really have to worry is if you're hanging out in a active Node War area which automatically turns on PvP for anyone who enters it. And the two guilds fighting there are more than likely to kill first and ask questions later. The game warns you if you enter an active Node War area.

edit- Back to the Dye topic, there is a thing called Merv's Pallete which gives you access to a all the dyes in the game for 30 days. It costs 1000 pearls IIRC, but you can buy it from the marketplace. However, I don't think you'll ever see it on the marketplace since the 30 day Value Pack comes with Merv's Pallete (among a bunch of other great stuff) so most people just sell that. 30 day Value Pack sells for about 9mil on the market which is pretty damn cheap. Most anybody could make that much in an hour or two from trading or grinding.

The Value Pack gives you various XP bonuses, inventory and weight bonuses, the Merv's Pallate and it gives you unlimited access to the Beauty Shop so you can redesign your character whenever you want.

Axen on
    So I hit 50 on my wizard last night and started doing the black spirit quests that give you scrolls to summon bosses. They say group and minimum level 45, but I've been soloing them just fine.

Should I be taking those scrolls as quest rewards or the fragments that say you need to be 55?

― John Quincy Adams
    So I hit 50 on my wizard last night and started doing the black spirit quests that give you scrolls to summon bosses. They say group and minimum level 45, but I've been soloing them just fine.

Should I be taking those scrolls as quest rewards or the fragments that say you need to be 55?

IIRC take the scrolls. Bosses can also drop fragments on top of the coveted boss gear.

Soloing is fine, but with 5 players each with 5 scrolls you greatly increase your loot acquisition. That said, the choice is up to you. Not a huge deal either way I'd say.

• BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    Regarding trading: I think the imperial trading is where its at money-wise

Man my notice thing told me the costume i want for my tamer was going to go up on the market. I got there in like minutes and never saw it. Was so sad.

Kai_San wrote: »
    Man my notice thing told me the costume i want for my tamer was going to go up on the market. I got there in like minutes and never saw it. Was so sad.

The fact that you can't preorder those things is a real bummer.

• Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    So how's this game for casual gaming solo or with a couple of friends? Most of my MMO time goes into WoW but I've been curious to try Black Desert for a while now. I'm just worried because when I hear "sandbox" I think of EVE Online, where you generally need to be an active part of an organized community if you want to accomplish anything. At this time I'm not really interested in that kind of effort.

MSL59.jpg
    Well I mean I get it. You would be waiting in line a long time. It's basically in the name of fairness.

But I didn't understand why I never saw it. I sat there for 30 mins because I kept saying that I just might have forgotten the time I got the warning.

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    So how's this game for casual gaming solo or with a couple of friends? Most of my MMO time goes into WoW but I've been curious to try Black Desert for a while now. I'm just worried because when I hear "sandbox" I think of EVE Online, where you generally need to be an active part of an organized community if you want to accomplish anything. At this time I'm not really interested in that kind of effort.

Is is pretty darn easy for a player or duo to have a grand old time. The systems involved in combat, crafting and market waffle are very friendly. The game directs you to quests and things to look at or do, and you're free to go haring off on a fishing boat if you want.

Smalltime adventuring is totally doable.

What you may run aground on is later pvp stuff, but even then, you should be free to join the zerg swarm of your choice and aim in the right general direction.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
    How does the game handle party and exp sharing anyway? I think I grouped with someone once in an area and killed for awhile (long ago before any of these exp buffs and ease of leveling things) and it was pretty efficient levels for me. I figure you could handle wide open areas a lot better that way.

I kind of want to get 6 characters to 50 to break into that second tier of free money for combat, so I will likely be doing a lot of leveling. I find it fun anyway. Might make me poor though.

• KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    Well I mean I get it. You would be waiting in line a long time. It's basically in the name of fairness.

But I didn't understand why I never saw it. I sat there for 30 mins because I kept saying that I just might have forgotten the time I got the warning.

Most likely, the item was won during the bid phase, which is the first 1-2 minutes after it gets posted. Most costumes never make it past that phase unless they're really common, like Kibelius.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
    How does the game handle party and exp sharing anyway? I think I grouped with someone once in an area and killed for awhile (long ago before any of these exp buffs and ease of leveling things) and it was pretty efficient levels for me. I figure you could handle wide open areas a lot better that way.

I kind of want to get 6 characters to 50 to break into that second tier of free money for combat, so I will likely be doing a lot of leveling. I find it fun anyway. Might make me poor though.

I'm fairly certain everyone gets full credit, but even if that isn't the case having two or more people still greatly increases your XP intake so it'd be in your favor anyway.

On a different topic, for those still new Pets are pretty handy. Not necessary, but handy. They'll pick up loot for you automatically and each species group provides a special bonus. You can have three out at once and you can breed them to increase their tier (though the parents are lost).

Axen wrote: »

I'm fairly certain everyone gets full credit, but even if that isn't the case having two or more people still greatly increases your XP intake so it'd be in your favor anyway.

On a different topic, for those still new Pets are pretty handy. Not necessary, but handy. They'll pick up loot for you automatically and each species group provides a special bonus. You can have three out at once and you can breed them to increase their tier (though the parents are lost).

You can have a total of 4 out at once, and for super high end grinding, they're pretty much mandatory unless you plan to leave lots of loot lying around in order to keep up with the blistering pace that end game grinding groups set.

That being said, you can very easily buy them cheaply off the market (8-9 million) and they're listed pretty frequently. Also note that their ability to loot for you has a cooldown, which lowers from 10s between pickups to 3.5-4s as they gain levels. Somewhat counter-intuitively to the rest of the game, they only level up when they're fed, so do be sure to keep their satiety topped off between grinding sessions, or just make a habit of feeding them whenever you return to town to sell your drops or buy potions.

Konphujun wrote: »

Most likely, the item was won during the bid phase, which is the first 1-2 minutes after it gets posted. Most costumes never make it past that phase unless they're really common, like Kibelius.

Things show up as notifications when registered, which is 10-15 mins before posted.

Bidding lasts 30 seconds.

Konphujun wrote: »

Things show up as notifications when registered, which is 10-15 mins before posted.

Bidding lasts 30 seconds.

Ah, that's strange then. One of the first things I did was turn off the pop up notifications, so I'm not familiar with the way they work.

Party exp: split by level but also proximity. If you're within a few levels of each other the exp split is not very noticeable, but if you get very far from each other the exp gain plummets pretty hard.

There is a wifi symbol looking thing when you party that indicates how the range exp split is faring. It can drop pretty hard fairly quickly so it's best to keep an eye on it.

steam_sig.png
    So about 53.5 on my wizard now. Should I keep pushing to 56 before I try and get all the contribution points and energy I'm lacking since I effectively just power leveled this guy?

I mean I can't even finish a level 30 quest to have 100 energy and another for 60 contribution points :(

― John Quincy Adams
    edited February 2017
    You could keep grinding out the levels and then do some afk cooking for easy contribution points afterwards - It's the main method I've been using which has worked out pretty well thus far.

I think I'm at 104/116 or something like that from cooking/occasionally questing - with about 12-14 unused points. My hope is to finally get started with some serious trading this week.

BradicusMaximus on
    Eh, I'd keep going to at least 55 to get your camel.

I'm in the same boat 53 and gunning for 56. Though I keep getting distracted by everything.

Wait, are you just given a camel at 55? Or is that just what you need to be at in order to use one?

Given one basically.

There is a dude with the quest for it right at the entrance to the desert proper. Gotta be 55 for the quest, but the quest itself involves very little effort on your part.

I think I just switched to playing Sorceress. Mostly because I never found that tamer outfit, but I did snag a Sorceress one. And she looks freaking amazing. Also it just seems like a funner class.

So I get to plow out some levels again. Also, I am now poor.

Sorceress is a lot of fun to farm with imo

shes got aoe for days

It just seems like overall a very engaging class. I didn't get that out of the others I had played previously.