As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Better get a babysitter cause we've got two tickets to the [GUN] show...

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Just saw this on r/guns.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/02/06/breaking-atf-white-paper-leaked/

It seems to be the ATF's plan for the next several years when it comes to regulations. Here's the short breakdown:
    1. Allow new type FFLs specifically for gun shows. it's to get rid of the "gun show loophole" thing. Lots of mentions of how ATF already regulates online businesses and wanting to apply the same model there
    2. Reintroduce AP ammo classification scheme, but specifically remove green tips so that there isn't a fiasco like in 2014
    3. Reimport Garands, M1 Carbines and 1911s
    4. make it easier to transfer post-86s between dealers
    5. Remove "redesign by shouldering" from arm braces
    6. Redefine "sporting purpose". They specifically mention 3 gun and stuff
    7. make a database of ATF rulings. Mostly an admin change
    8. Big block of text on how silencers shouldn't be NFA.
    9. Allow FFLs to do business at gun shows out of state
    10. Redefine DD ammo so that .mil contractors don't have to engrave everything
    11. Increase the number of guns from one FFL involved in crimes per year before said FFL has to provide their data (previously 25, now 10, proposed 15)
    12. Possible elimination of tracking guns in FFLs on the Mexican border
    13. Increase data retention by FFLs from 20 years to eternity
    14. Allow FFLs to conduct NICS checks on potential employees
    15. Confirm ATF director by senate
    16. Review of a bunch of old/obsolete regulations.

3 is definitely nice, but 8 is the big one.
    Given the lack of criminality associated with silencers, it is reasonable to conclude that they should not be viewed as a threat to public safety necessitating NFA classification, and should be considered for reclassification under the GCA.

Even the ATF doesn't think they should be classified NFA. Looks like the HPA has serious legs now.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    From said thread:
    There are tons of surplus US Garands, Carbines, and 1911s that are sitting in S. Korea, leftovers from the Korean war. Obama specifically blocked their reimportation via executive order.
    Why?
    To "keep them off the streets"
    What? You never seen a garand drive by?
    I'd love to see a Mosin driveby. I think the biggest threat would be setting their lawn on fire.
    I don't know, you get a few guys in a van with mosins and they fire at once you might flip the van when they fire.
    The police from all 5 surrounding counties can hear you as well.

nibXTE7.png
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    From said thread:
    There are tons of surplus US Garands, Carbines, and 1911s that are sitting in S. Korea, leftovers from the Korean war. Obama specifically blocked their reimportation via executive order.
    Why?
    I'd love to see a Mosin driveby. I think the biggest threat would be setting their lawn on fire.
    I don't know, you get a few guys in a van with mosins and they fire at once you might flip the van when they fire.

Man I never thought in my lifetime I'd own a garand but now I'm exited that I might. Also a 1911 that doesn't cost 700+

are YOU on the beer list?
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Also yes, the idea of a "quiet" mosin is ridiculous. Iraqveteran did ONE video with silenced mosin, that had a SHIT TON of work done to it, and it was somewhat kind of quiet, with custom ammo, so I guess if a gang really wanted to get a bolt action sharp shooter with a $3000 custom work nagant rifle and a silencer and custom ammo they could potentially bolt action fire on a crowd.

Or you know, go ANY OTHER FUCKING OPTION!

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    From said thread:
    Why?

Man I never thought in my lifetime I'd own a garand but now I'm exited that I might. Also a 1911 that doesn't cost 700+

Rock Island Armory supposedly makes a very decent 1911 for low $400's online, you apparently just have to swap grips for something less slick.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    If there really is a chance of more Garands coming in the pipeline, I think that means I need to finally get around to getting my curio & relic license.

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Hi gun thread. I finally decided it was time to get into shooting again. As such I did a bunch of research on good starter rifles and ended up with a Savage Axis in .308win. Got the gun itself for ~$350 brand new from the gun store. Sunday I took it to an indoor rifle range and blew through a few boxes of ammo. I was not expecting that kind of recoil at first and didn't have the rifle properly shouldered. The first few round really fucking hurt but I quickly learned to keep it properly braced.

It was a ton of fun but I ended up with a massive bruise. This weekend I'm hoping to hit an outdoor range with some friends.

Eventually I want to upgrade the trigger and get a better optic. For the price, I am very happy with this rifle.

wonderpug wrote: »
    If there really is a chance of more Garands coming in the pipeline, I think that means I need to finally get around to getting my curio & relic license.

I think if you join your state rifle association you should qualify I think if I remember CMP quals right now

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I have no real desire to have a handgun, but a korean war era 1911 makes me feel funny...in places.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    I found the incredible and did the unthinkable.

That being said, here is the story. So I went to the LGS to look for an ASP Key Defender pepper spray because I had an... incident the other night at work with an urban outdoorsman and it would have been nice to have an LTL option. No one got shot, thankfully. So, while there I decided to go look at their new Glock booth and what did I see, a NIB Glock 19C! The gun that Glock discontinued effective 1/1/14. So obviously I had to buy it as I have been wanting one for quite a while.

So I actually bought a brand new Glock!

qbg1mqkl0krx.jpg

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
    Very nice! It's always nice when you find something like that.

I like the 19, but shoot the full size models much better. So, it's not for me, unfortunately

Does anybody have any good resources for a new shooter to watch on YouTube?

Cause I'm not the best teacher when it comes to shooting, and my wife is consistently hitting in the 7 and 8 o'clock position on targets and I don't know what to tell her other than quit mashing on the trigger.

• NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular

Cause I'm not the best teacher when it comes to shooting, and my wife is consistently hitting in the 7 and 8 o'clock position on targets and I don't know what to tell her other than quit mashing on the trigger.

Is she left handed?

NSDFRand wrote: »

Is she left handed?

Nope. Although she absolutely refused to try to shoot with both eyes open, and kept alternating left and right eye closed. I have no idea what to tell her, since I'm right handed and blind in my right eye and can shoot left or right handed.

Probably the third time she's ever gone shooting with me, but by far the most rounds down range.

Loaded one round at a time for a while to see where she was hitting. I got her to stop teacupping. Just pulling shots low and to the left consistently.

• HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    I'm a shit teacher too, besides breathing and a smooth pull... is she using the tip or the joint to pull? Don't lock elbows, loose shoulders... I dunno.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    NSDFRand wrote: »

Is she left handed?

Nope. Although she absolutely refused to try to shoot with both eyes open, and kept alternating left and right eye closed. I have no idea what to tell her, since I'm right handed and blind in my right eye and can shoot left or right handed.

Probably the third time she's ever gone shooting with me, but by far the most rounds down range.

Loaded one round at a time for a while to see where she was hitting. I got her to stop teacupping. Just pulling shots low and to the left consistently.

Left-Right movement off target is usually trigger squeeze, up-down could be flinching or breath control. I asked if she was left handed because I've seen more people jerk the trigger rather than push (too little finger on the trigger). She could also have bad sight alignment and not know it.

I mean essentially unless it's a problem with the gun it's just BRM issues: trigger squeeze, breath control, sight alignment. Next time you take her out instead of doing one round do a three to five round grouping.

Thanks, y'all!

I tried to get her to adjust where her finger laid on the trigger, but don't know if that complicated things for her or not.

I realize that my pistol shooting technique is probably all mutant like, but it works for me. And it only took a few thousand rounds over a period of twenty something years

Are you going to an indoor range?

If so, sign her up for some lessons, they (should be) ridiculously cheap at a range.

Do your homework though, cause ranges (in the Southeast at least) are like 50/50 as to whether you get a legit instructor or Johnny Weekend Warrior.

My friends wife works for Barrett and she got into competitive shooting with a co-worker there and having another woman to practice with was a lot of fun for her. Something to think about.

In AH news, the blunderbuss arrives tomorrow. That is all.

So I emailed Glock to find out the born on date for my 19C since it had literature from 2015 in the box. October 2016 was when it was made, when I asked about the discontinued aspect, the answer I got was "They still make them from time to time." Thanks for the vague answer Glock! :hydra:

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    So I emailed Glock to find out the born on date for my 19C since it had literature from 2015 in the box. October 2016 was when it was made, when I asked about the discontinued aspect, the answer I got was "They still make them from time to time." Thanks for the vague answer Glock! :hydra:

This is becoming a common occurrence with firearms manufactures and I can understand now why people look down on gun culture.

I've seen several arms makers doing this "well we're out of stock but we're probably going to get more in six months" as if until the gun is actually stamped with a serial number it doesn't exist and isn't tracked.

I found out a lot of the Traditions blackpowder stuff is/can be made by third party groups so like even though the barrel is made and proofed in Italy it will be shipped to the states and assembled in kit form by some "home arms" company in Montana and THEN sent to the warehouses. So finding out if they have something in stock or expect to get it is all but impossible.

Century Arms, as much as I love them, is also on my shit list for this, because they're really just an importer so you never know if they have anything or when they will get it.

Are you going to an indoor range?

If so, sign her up for some lessons, they (should be) ridiculously cheap at a range.

Do your homework though, cause ranges (in the Southeast at least) are like 50/50 as to whether you get a legit instructor or Johnny Weekend Warrior.

My friends wife works for Barrett and she got into competitive shooting with a co-worker there and having another woman to practice with was a lot of fun for her. Something to think about.

Outdoor.

The range I go to is pretty decent. I'm not sure if classes are much beyond the basics, but they're about $100 for a class.

• [Paragon][Paragon] I'm a real doctor, for pretend! North DakotaRegistered User regular
    Ordered a vortex spitfire 1x for the evo, along with an ADM QD mount for it. Would go red dot but my astigmatism is getting worse as I get older.

With a 1-4x rifle scope, do you still need to focus when it's dialed back to 1x magnification? Or at 1x does it just sort of act as a passthrough with no focusing necessary?

Blunderbuss is here.

It's freaking HUGE.

Like it feels about as heavy as a Remington 30-06 but it's only 2.5 feet long

• [Paragon][Paragon] I'm a real doctor, for pretend! North DakotaRegistered User regular
    With a 1-4x rifle scope, do you still need to focus when it's dialed back to 1x magnification? Or at 1x does it just sort of act as a passthrough with no focusing necessary?

At 1x you can treat a 1-4x scope as basically a red dot, shooting with both eyes open. Same with a fixed magnification prismatic scope, that etched reticle makes all the difference to my shitty eyes.

Awesome, thanks

edited February 2017
    So I took the new Glock to the range the other day and thru about 100 rounds I had about 6 live round double feeds. Both magazines were causing it and all the rounds were Freedom Munitions 115gr FMJ, so I am going to try out some Magpul Glock mags and then some different range ammo.

Suffice to say, I was not impressed with my first time out. :(

UPDATE:

Went to the range with the new magazines and bought 100rds of Sig ammo. Gun went thru the 100rds without issue thru 5 different magazines. Then I switched back to the Freedom and jam after the 2nd round. Then another 65rds of Critical Defense without issue. Then back to the Freedom and jam on the 4th round.

So I think I found my issue.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    A bolt action rifle typically can't have problems with magazines jamming. I'm just sayin....

That_Guy wrote: »
    A bolt action rifle typically can't have problems with magazines jamming. I'm just sayin....

Yes, but he's interested in a pistol, not a rifle.

VwCfnvt.jpg

• zipidideezipididee Registered User regular

VwCfnvt.jpg

What is that monstrous beauty?

*ching ching* Just my two cents
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    for some reason I thought it was a Contender. lol.

seems to be a Remington XP-100.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.

VwCfnvt.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_XP-100
    Type : Bullpup bolt-action pistol :?

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

VwCfnvt.jpg

As a big fan of bullpups, that is amazing.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular

VwCfnvt.jpg

checks out. action definitely behind grip.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Ah! I was wondering where I'd read "bolt action pistol". I saw this article yesterday and couldn't remember this thread.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/02/20/bolt-action-glock-california/
    https://youtu.be/f586VbyE5nI&list=-

It's obviously a very early prototype, but I can't believe they put the knob on the right. It's just so awkward on the right.

edited February 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJjCy4VA9yI

It's not a handgun, it's a tactical percussion instrument.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    My upper arrives tomorrow! Life is good. Sure, it's a bastard AR but if it puts rounds on target the way I hope it will, blasting hogs at the ranch will be less of a chore and won't waste my good .30-06 rounds.

• ironheadironhead Registered User regular
    What caliber are you going to use for hog hunting? Was thinking of building an AR for the same purpose starting with a complete upper and a stripped lower. Was going to go 5.56 but I'm not sure if that's a big enough bullet to get the job done.

ironhead wrote: »
    What caliber are you going to use for hog hunting? Was thinking of building an AR for the same purpose starting with a complete upper and a stripped lower. Was going to go 5.56 but I'm not sure if that's a big enough bullet to get the job done.

It just depends. Feral hogs can be like 40-50lbs or they can be massive. 5.56 will work on a lot of them, but if you want something that can take damn near anything on the North American continent you might as well go .308