As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nioh: Onimusouls Action Available on Feb 7!

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    This fucking third boss
    Nue seems like straight up fucking bugged. If you hit the vulnerable area the boss snaps immediately to neutral from whatever position it was in. Doesn't stagger. So it can and will immediately fuck you up.

Uuuugh I'm fucking hating the shit out of this guy.
    Fought him, his weak point seemed to work for me. Basically it just drains his stamina so I could then stagger him, is it just not draining at all? It was only really available when he was doing his lightning from the sky move, hitting it from the side didn't seem to do a lot unless he was on the ground.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    This fucking third boss
    Nue seems like straight up fucking bugged. If you hit the vulnerable area the boss snaps immediately to neutral from whatever position it was in. Doesn't stagger. So it can and will immediately fuck you up.

Fought him, his weak point seemed to work for me. Basically it just drains his stamina so I could then stagger him, is it just not draining at all? It was only really available when he was doing his lightning from the sky move, hitting it from the side didn't seem to do a lot unless he was on the ground.
    Issue is that sometimes when you stagger him, he immediately, instantly goes into the zap, and you can get double-whammy'd before you can do anything, sometimes.

Anyway! I beat him. Tuck in between the front and left right legs and go crazy.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    So I'm really liking the smart re-use of the level geometry in this. You go in to the sub-missions sort of knowing the level, but enough has changed to keep you on your guard. I also like that every sub-mission isn't just "Go fight another boss here", but seems to have interesting little sub plots and objectives to them.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I really want to be able to give this game time, but I need to finish Last Guardian and Gravity Rush 2 by the time Horizon comes out, and then that before Persona 5. I think it's getting pushed back to the summer, at least.

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Yo these boss fights are fucking ridiculous. The last game that made me clench my sphincter like this was Bloodborne

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    So, I guess bosses get tougher if you summon help? During my initial Onryoki struggles, I said fuck it and summoned someone. I was promptly two-shotted by the boss...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    So, I guess bosses get tougher if you summon help? During my initial Onryoki struggles, I said fuck it and summoned someone. I was promptly two-shotted by the boss...

haha it's like punishment for showing weakness. Brutal.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I just accept that these boss fights are going to be around five minutes and then they go down. Third boss I just waited for the room wide AOE or if I was feeling chippy the full front arc attack. Used all 8 elixirs and a full heal potion but managed a one shot.
    It was messy as hell, but the arena is massive and he doesn't really chase all that much allowing you time for spacing. Nue will destroy most cover, but things like trees will stay and baiting out the lightning breath was easy to get two shots in. However mostly just waited for the lightning strikes and then closed in on the third strike.

What comes after that though. . .I can't believe they had the balls to do this. Ha. "First level indeed. . ."

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I've never had so much trouble picking a weapon.

I thought I was going to go single katana. Just seemed right. But I tried out the dual katanas and holy moly they are fun and I think they might feel better for me.

So I checked the moves(I love to QoL stuff like watching vids for all the moves so fucking smart) and the dual katana moves look way cooler.

A single katana looks cooler just chilling though. But alas... I think the dualies are calling my name.

Shiiiiit I was so sure about regular katana though... AHHHH!!! WHERE DO I PUT MY STATS?!?!

• Options
    Shiiiiit I was so sure about regular katana though... AHHHH!!! WHERE DO I PUT MY STATS?!?!

Dex!

I've been kind of trying to evenly distribute stats, but that's probably doin' it wrong...

I was absolutely certain that I was going to go single katana and axe, and I ended up falling in love with spears. Low stance spears against non-boss mooks are so dang good!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Dex!

I've been kind of trying to evenly distribute stats, but that's probably doin' it wrong...

I was absolutely certain that I was going to go single katana and axe, and I ended up falling in love with spears. Low stance spears against non-boss mooks are so dang good!

Dex isn't the main stat for either of those two weapons!

I have put a couple into stamina because I need to get my equip load up a bit higher.

But do I make heart or skill my main stat?!?!?!

• Options
    Dex isn't for dual katanas?

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Spears all day, every day, is the cowardly survivor way.

I'm still deciding on a second weapon, any suggestions?

Man I'm loving this game so much that I'm thinking about renewing my PS+. What's the Plus benefits for this game?

• Options
    Dex isn't for dual katanas?

Skill is dual katana main stat.

Dex is for ranged weapons.

• Options
    Oh, ha! Not Dex then!

• Options
    Spears all day, every day, is the cowardly survivor way.

I'm still deciding on a second weapon, any suggestions?

Man I'm loving this game so much that I'm thinking about renewing my PS+. What's the Plus benefits for this game?

AFAIK just summoning help, which just makes the game harder... D:

• Options
    Dronus86Dronus86 Now with cheese!Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Look if you're not doing kusarigama, idk what you're doing.

Mid-stance has sweeping attacks like a BEAST. High stance has some ridiculous range. Low stance hits insanely fast. It's the perfect weapon!

Dronus86 on
    Look at me. Look at me. Look at how large the monster inside me has become.
    Crunch Crunch! Munch Munch! Chomp Chomp! Gulp!
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Fuck losing your super meter upon death. Its just one more thing to grind before tough spots.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Dronus86 wrote: »

Mid-stance has sweeping attacks like a BEAST. High stance has some ridiculous range. Low stance hits insanely fast. It's the perfect weapon!

I have a sword problem.

If a game has swords I use swords. That's the end of the discussion.

As is I'm definitely using dual sword and regular katana for my main and secondary. No question there. All the swords.

I just can't decide which is my main..

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular

I have a sword problem.

As is I'm definitely using dual sword and regular katana for my main and secondary. No question there. All the swords.

Why not both?
    RoronoaZoro2.jpg

• Options
    Dronus86Dronus86 Now with cheese!Registered User regular

I have a sword problem.

Curved. Swords.

Yeah I'm usually that way with spears. And I really WANT to use a spear in this one, but the wall-clanging is frustrating to me.

Look at me. Look at me. Look at how large the monster inside me has become.
    Crunch Crunch! Munch Munch! Chomp Chomp! Gulp!
  • Options

I have a sword problem.

Why not both?
    RoronoaZoro2.jpg

If the game let me I certainly would!

EVERY. SWORD.

But yea the badass high stance for Dual Swords might win me over and make it my main.

I think that's the plan.

• Options
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    This fucking third boss

Issue is that sometimes when you stagger him, he immediately, instantly goes into the zap, and you can get double-whammy'd before you can do anything, sometimes.

Anyway! I beat him. Tuck in between the front and left right legs and go crazy.

I have a sword problem.

Curved. Swords.

Yeah I'm usually that way with spears. And I really WANT to use a spear in this one, but the wall-clanging is frustrating to me.

Well I mean, spears aren't meant for corridors. At least not some of the stances. And eventually that goes away if you spec enough into the tree.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

Yeah, i was going through the first area mostly in mid stance, then i switched to high...holy fuck is the range on that attack large. I pretty much cheesed the the first boss with it by staying at range smacking him with a ranged hit, dodging, repeating.

The biggest problem with high stance is when you forget to turn it off and go in close...it messes you up bad if your not aware of it.

BTW, I played the first beta demo last year, and I have to say the first island area felt....easier? I think the main thing that changed was that you cant stamina fatigue yourself by hitting the attack button as easily. its like they made it so your last attack drains your stamina to zero, but doesnt fatigue you unless you hit it immediately again. I'm able to do combos without fearing im going to hit my limit and immediately be stunned. Second area itself isnt that bad either, but that boss is giving me trouble (only did a few attempts tho). I think that compared to the souls games, this game gives you more possible tools to deal with things. Like when things get really hard, you have your living weapon to give you an out, and you have ki recharge to speed up things, and you can actually exhaust the enemies which is another thing not in DS that really helps.

I think im actually liking it more than Souls games in a lot of ways. The punishment is still there, but it feels tempered with ways around it if you want to use them. I feel more confident than i did with souls games.

another thing. When you exhaust the ki of a normal enemy you have ways to do massive damage via skills. But correct me if im wrong, these skills dont work if you exhaust a boss right? you basically get one free hit (or combo) when you exhaust a boss, then they do that pool of crap thing and get half there ki back. Is that correct or am i missing out on something?

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Stamina breaks only work on human bosses.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    another thing. When you exhaust the ki of a normal enemy you have ways to do massive damage via skills. But correct me if im wrong, these skills dont work if you exhaust a boss right? you basically get one free hit (or combo) when you exhaust a boss, then they do that pool of crap thing and get half there ki back. Is that correct or am i missing out on something?

I believe you're talking about "grapples", which are basically various execution moves that can be done on exhausted humanoids, but not on any of the larger Yokai, which includes basically every boss I've encountered (except Tachibana Muneshige).

When any of the Yokai (including bosses) are exhausted, you should have a window to wail on them with your best combo. However, many Yokai have "wake-up" attacks that can punish you for trying to extend that combo too long.

• Options
    Are there upgrades for elixir like in Dark Souls?

Or just the ones in the ninjutsu tree?

• Options
    Tachibana and has button input reading is just horseshit.

• Options

Like holding more of them at once? Because I think the more of those little green guys you find, the more elixirs you can hold.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    How do you get that important evade Ki upgrade? I don't see it in the skill tree selection.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Cantido wrote: »
    How do you get that important evade Ki upgrade? I don't see it in the skill tree selection.

I have it on spears, but it's only for spears on high-stance.

• Options

Like holding more of them at once? Because I think the more of those little green guys you find, the more elixirs you can hold.

Oh really? DO we know that for sure?

Also dang I just got some real deja vu.

There should be one under each stance section. "allows for ki pulse while evading"

• Options

Oh really? DO we know that for sure?

Also dang I just got some real deja vu.

There should be one under each stance section. "allows for ki pulse while evading"

I went from a max of three to a max of eight in the first area. I'm not 100% sure it's related to the little guys though. I think I saw it mentioned in a youtube video.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Re: Elixirs — The Ninjutsu tree has a passive perk for increasing the number held and the Omnyo tree has a the perk for increasing their efficacy; additionally, you can improve their efficacy with perks that appear on head-armor and by choosing the appropriate Prestige upgrade when it's offered.

@Cantido — I'm not sure the "dash-pulse" is part of every weapon's tree, but it's definitely a part of the katana and kusurigama. You have to unlock it per stance, but once unlocked it will apply to any weapon that has that perk. It's called [Stance Name]-man, and will usually be the second perk in along the top row of each stance.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    I'm maining spears at the moment and kind of looking into a secondary. I've been using a low stance axe, because I happen to have one with low stance damage, low stance ki damage, and final blow damage, which is an absurd combination. It absolutely crushes mooks.

• Options

You have it on all weapons. That would be INCREDIBLY dickish for them to make a core mechanic specific for each weapon like that.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I am loving this game so far. I'm working my way through the first mission, I just cleared the first major area.

I love that there is a big empty chest in a house, and you find what was inside (the longbow) on a body further in the level because one of the dead guys realized you need a bow to get past the ambush at the house. That path also gives you access to skip that ambush encounter entirely, if you want.

Loving it, really feeling the Dark Souls influence in the level design.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Elixir count is based on how many little green healing bros you find.

• Options
    ED! wrote: »

You have it on all weapons. That would be INCREDIBLY dickish for them to make a core mechanic specific for each weapon like that.

Hmmm, I'll have to check. Not that I don't believe you, but I know I unlocked it in the spear tree. Is it high stance only on all weapons? I really don't use high stance that much =/

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Wait, I thought skill was the main stat for dual katanas, and dex was the main stat for kusarigama?

I've been splitting my levels between body, heart, stamina, skill, and dex. Maybe I should drop skill and just focus on dex and use kusarigama exclusively for now.

Edit: Mixed up skill and dex.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker