As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PAX South 17] It's Over. See You Next Time

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Machi Koro
    Yomi
    Mystic Vale
    Skull
    Tsuro
    Splendor
    Are all games I wanna add.
    I had so much fun.

Beer Garden color matcher & samurai war dice also seemed neat
    (Forgot their names)

Biergarten and Age of War.

Both were mine. Biergarten went better the next couple of times I played, and I like it. Age of War is a little dubious though. I liked it initially, but I'm seeing too many games of it drag out at the end to the point of lessening the fun significantly.

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Anyone planning on going to SXSW? Cause Austin is gonna be host to not one but TWO Sonic The Hedgehogs!
    http://schedule.sxsw.com/2017/events/PP96507

Take that PAX South!
    No, not seriously. SXSW's gaming conference is a pale shadow of PAX South.

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Also, Darth Waiter you are always welcome to our Tuesday Night Nerd Gathering.

WHEN AND WHERE?!?

• Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Also, Darth Waiter you are always welcome to our Tuesday Night Nerd Gathering.

WHEN AND WHERE?!?

PM sent, anyone else in dallas/irving/las colinas send us a PM and we will send you details.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    You know, it just now dawned on me I didn't play or see played a single game of Secret Hitler. Probably for the best, given my record!

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I have an interest in that game but only know the name and nothing else about it.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I watched a video on how to play it. Looks fun!

TTS has a Trump edition.

• Dronus86Dronus86 Now with cheese!Registered User regular
    Yeah there's not a lot of us up here in Wichita either.

I got hit with the PAX pox at the start of the 10h drive home to Wichita. It was a nightmare, because I didn't trust anyone else to drive except the guy who rented the van, and he was trying to get sleep to reset his schedule (he was working nights). That pretty much killed any desire I had to continue doing anything after PAX, so I suppose there was a silver lining.

It was my first PAX! It was a lot of fun!

I had like 5 friends with me or I would have maybe gotten involved in some forumer things. It seemed inappropriate to bring that many non-forumers along, but maybe another time???

I was super envious reading about all the awesome dinners and drinking and stuff, and it would have been nice to meet new people.

Look at me. Look at me. Look at how large the monster inside me has become.
    Crunch Crunch! Munch Munch! Chomp Chomp! Gulp!
    I went to the panel on "Grinding in Video Games" and they played Mouth Moods, which I found to be hilarious because I had only just learned about it the day before we drove up.

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    I have an interest in that game but only know the name and nothing else about it.

It's an in-person game of Mafia, or "Phalla" here on the forums. There is one Secret Hitler, only known to that person and their supporters, the Fascists. The Fascists know who Hitler is, but Hitler doesn't know who the Fascists are. Hitler's goal in the game is to gain power, the Fascists' goal in the game is to get Hitler into power, and the rest of the players' goal is to find and kill Hitler. It's a game all about bluffing and strategy.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Dronus86 wrote: »

I got hit with the PAX pox at the start of the 10h drive home to Wichita. It was a nightmare, because I didn't trust anyone else to drive except the guy who rented the van, and he was trying to get sleep to reset his schedule (he was working nights). That pretty much killed any desire I had to continue doing anything after PAX, so I suppose there was a silver lining.

I had like 5 friends with me or I would have maybe gotten involved in some forumer things. It seemed inappropriate to bring that many non-forumers along, but maybe another time???

I was super envious reading about all the awesome dinners and drinking and stuff, and it would have been nice to meet new people.

Its never inappropriate! I dragged my buddy Tom with me around most of the time; he broke off to do his own thing a few times as well so it was fine.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    edited February 2017
    Naphtali wrote: »

Its never inappropriate! I dragged my buddy Tom with me around most of the time; he broke off to do his own thing a few times as well so it was fine.

Well then, maybe next time! Either way, we had a blast just exploring PAX. Going to (any) PAX was something I've wanted to do for a very long time.

Did anyone else do the True Dungeon thing? To be honest, I was a bit disappointed. It sounded so cool!

Dronus86 on
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

Well then, maybe next time! Either way, we had a blast just exploring PAX. Going to (any) PAX was something I've wanted to do for a very long time.

Did anyone else do the True Dungeon thing? To be honest, I was a bit disappointed. It sounded so cool!

They made it pretty clear it was a demo and that they normally have like, 10 times the volunteers

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group

They made it pretty clear it was a demo and that they normally have like, 10 times the volunteers

I think that was why I was disappointed. I must have missed the warnings going in, because we waited in line for quite some time, then when we got in we waited in the first room for a long time. After that it became clear it was a demo, but it seemed like we spent 75% of our time waiting, another 10% getting a rapid fire pitch to become a volunteer, and then a few minutes actually trying it.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    if any of you paxgoers are philly locals, maybe you can help me with pax unplugged: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/209695/philadelphia-locals-tell-me-about-this-place/p1

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I really wanna go to that PAX

It might be next year before I can afford to but I wanna

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I'd really like to, but I don't think I can swing going to Philly and Orlando in the same month.

I want to do FloPAX too but I have three kids and if I'm going to Disney it would be a crime not to bring them

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    I'm probably not going to West this year so I can check out Unplugged instead. I've been to Philly once, but I was around 8, and with a tour group that didn't really give us any time to explore on our own, so I'm looking forward to actually seeing the city.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I am planning to be at unplugged, but those plans may not turn out the way I want.

edited February 2017
    So, I suppose I could just take the train in the morning and then back at night and spend a day there. It's only an hour and a half train ride.

Goose! on
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular

I think that was why I was disappointed. I must have missed the warnings going in, because we waited in line for quite some time, then when we got in we waited in the first room for a long time. After that it became clear it was a demo, but it seemed like we spent 75% of our time waiting, another 10% getting a rapid fire pitch to become a volunteer, and then a few minutes actually trying it.

When I was walking around I actually saw an escape room place like 3 blocks from the convention center. If it's still in business next year, maybe that can be an activity.

Nothing. Matters.
  • chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Buncha drunks falling down in a locked room?
    :+1:

Aphostile wrote: »

When I was walking around I actually saw an escape room place like 3 blocks from the convention center. If it's still in business next year, maybe that can be an activity.

Escape rooms are a blast. I think next time our little group does a PAX we might try to plan better because we kept leaving to eat dinner/lunch, which is great, but we didn't plan for it so each time it was like a 2h+event and we missed a lot we wanted to do.

Luckily we were smart enough to bring snacks after the first day.

I've never been to Philly and there are some things I'd like to see there, so I'm leaning towards going to Unplugged this year. Though that is the end of any thoughts of West if I do.

There's a private room karaoke joint within easy walking distance of the convention. Just saying...

Philly is a cool city

Its also now the closest PAX to me

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Philly is a cool city

Is Philly PAX a thing?

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Philly is a cool city

Is Philly PAX a thing?

It is now. It's PAX Unplugged, all focused on table top gaming.

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Yeah, it was announced while we were at South.
    It's Tabletop focused, as opposed to the more general PAX offering.

VayBJ4e.png
    Anybody down for either some TTS or Jackbox Friday night?

I know, I'm so hip.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

I know, I'm so hip.

Sorry, Friday nights the Riverdale Vixens meet up.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    But what about after that, Zonny?

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Generally, I pass the fuck out.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    So one of my coworker's daughters went to South and apparently won the Dominion tourney.

steam_sig.png
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Generally, I pass the fuck out.

you are so old

6vjsgrerts6r.png

I know, I'm so hip.

@ThatDudeOverThere and some people are doing some saturday

Hmm. Just found out that BGG.CON (the annual convention for the boardgamegeek website) is the same weekend as Unplugged, in Dallas. I'm not interested in BGG.CON, but am concerned that many potential exhibitors would choose that over Unplugged. I know a couple of board game designers I like will be at BGG.CON instead, and seeing it on their touring schedules is how I became aware of the conflict.

And on a completely different note, I'd be up for trying to do some Jackbox or whatever after Riverdale on Friday. And if someone could send me the link for the Riverdale viewing, I think I can make it work this week.

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    So one of my coworker's daughters went to South and apparently won the Dominion tourney.

That seems like a game that's incredible at the competitive level, just going by word of mouth.

All whipping up counter economies on the fly, depending on what cards get selected for play.

VayBJ4e.png
    edited February 2017

Hahahaha.

I'm friends with her! She went to PAX with me!

She really enjoyed that tourney. She wore the medal the rest of PAX.

EDIT: I suppose it's more accurate to say she is among the group of friends who went to PAX.

Dronus86 on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

Hahahaha.

I'm friends with her! She went to PAX with me!

She really enjoyed that tourney. She wore the medal the rest of PAX.

EDIT: I suppose it's more accurate to say she is among the group of friends who went to PAX.

Hah that's great. My coworker keeps being like "how do you not know each other? You're such a big geek!"

We should hang out sometime at HeadShots or something. Have a WichiPAX.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png