As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] POST IN THE NEW THREAD!

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    I looked up how to play Star Wars Destiny.

I've made a huge mistake.

Yeah, a friend of mine bought the starter packs and a couple of boosters. Now I'm seriously looking at my FLGS's site and saying to myself, "No! No more CCGs! Doomtown had the right idea!"

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    antherem wrote: »
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    Fifth box spoilers all up in here.
    Did y'all manage to start looking over the tablets and relic list with a black light? How in the fuck was that even supposed to work I wonder. Do you decode it when one person has all the pieces? Do you need to decode it and then have someone declare they are going into that one? Completely unclear and dumb. I went hard core into that because I was convinced there had to be a second way to get the needed charts since we literally saw 1 advisor in 3 games that counted as a chart. No one else came up. Digging was basically impossible too since they added fucking victory points to a bunch of them and accelerated the fuck out of the game meaning it takes even fucking longer to get to the end thanks to reseting the advisor deck.

The light was such a cool idea, and the source of so much bullshit in the end. Just plain garbage. The entire box was filled with filler horse shit. Like why the fuck do I care about the statues in the end? Relics were meaningless nonsense that managed to gate keep a larger more worthless side adventure that was never clearly explained to my satisfaction. The chasing the flavor text mini-game for the 4 in fucking huge number did box 5 no favors either. Never mind the bullshit that is trying to take down Arados. Don't even know why you would want to do that. God damn does it all piss me off in the end.

I won't say that the game is a waste of money either, cause when it is good its really great. Just stop when you open box 5. All the cool potential you think is there isn't. Nothing but frustration and anger exist down that road. Maybe play a game or two and just skip to box 6.

Response to the box 5 spoilers
    It took six full games before we stumbled across the "you can now look at tablets" because the advisor deck is ridiculously large at that point. Supposedly the "real" answer is that one person has to have seen, and be in possession of, all three relevant tablets in order to pick the associated option. Which was never going to happen because raids.
    The statues
    are relevant to the game changes in box 6.
    We had Arados get taken out basically right after it appeared because someone had the relevant stuff to one-shot it. It was pretty anticlimactic.
    The main issues I saw were that the advisor deck is gigantic at that point with no way to narrow it down (other than having a player basically sacrifice their game to spam Guild Hall), and tombs were incredibly swingy in terms of VP so the game kept accidentally ending and we had to start over.

That's weird, my group had no big trouble unlocking the sixth box, we did it after I think 17 or 18 games?

That said we did immediately put the game away, without bothering to try the new unlocked mechanics, and said "never again".

I would go so far as "fuck Seafall" but boy, you can tell that it's really hard to playtest a legacy game of that length and depth and I would hesitate before touching another one like that.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    So ran out of time before Rampage (terror in meeple city as it'd apparently called now) could be played. All good though as it gives me more time to familiarize myself with the rules.

And I've avoided everything I can about Destiny. Not watching reviews, reading impressions, or manuals. Just nope. Netrunner and Doomtown get all of my card money.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    Destiny seems like it's probably a fun game, I just refuse to support products that have randomized boosters as their sales model.

• antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Lykouragh wrote: »
    antherem wrote: »
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    Fifth box spoilers all up in here.
    Did y'all manage to start looking over the tablets and relic list with a black light? How in the fuck was that even supposed to work I wonder. Do you decode it when one person has all the pieces? Do you need to decode it and then have someone declare they are going into that one? Completely unclear and dumb. I went hard core into that because I was convinced there had to be a second way to get the needed charts since we literally saw 1 advisor in 3 games that counted as a chart. No one else came up. Digging was basically impossible too since they added fucking victory points to a bunch of them and accelerated the fuck out of the game meaning it takes even fucking longer to get to the end thanks to reseting the advisor deck.

The light was such a cool idea, and the source of so much bullshit in the end. Just plain garbage. The entire box was filled with filler horse shit. Like why the fuck do I care about the statues in the end? Relics were meaningless nonsense that managed to gate keep a larger more worthless side adventure that was never clearly explained to my satisfaction. The chasing the flavor text mini-game for the 4 in fucking huge number did box 5 no favors either. Never mind the bullshit that is trying to take down Arados. Don't even know why you would want to do that. God damn does it all piss me off in the end.

I won't say that the game is a waste of money either, cause when it is good its really great. Just stop when you open box 5. All the cool potential you think is there isn't. Nothing but frustration and anger exist down that road. Maybe play a game or two and just skip to box 6.

Response to the box 5 spoilers
    It took six full games before we stumbled across the "you can now look at tablets" because the advisor deck is ridiculously large at that point. Supposedly the "real" answer is that one person has to have seen, and be in possession of, all three relevant tablets in order to pick the associated option. Which was never going to happen because raids.
    The statues
    are relevant to the game changes in box 6.
    We had Arados get taken out basically right after it appeared because someone had the relevant stuff to one-shot it. It was pretty anticlimactic.
    The main issues I saw were that the advisor deck is gigantic at that point with no way to narrow it down (other than having a player basically sacrifice their game to spam Guild Hall), and tombs were incredibly swingy in terms of VP so the game kept accidentally ending and we had to start over.

That's weird, my group had no big trouble unlocking the sixth box, we did it after I think 17 or 18 games?

That said we did immediately put the game away, without bothering to try the new unlocked mechanics, and said "never again".

I would go so far as "fuck Seafall" but boy, you can tell that it's really hard to playtest a legacy game of that length and depth and I would hesitate before touching another one like that.

It's extremely dependent on
    which advisors show up to get interrogated
    Fry wrote: »
    Destiny seems like it's probably a fun game, I just refuse to support products that have randomized boosters as their sales model.

I played Destiny at Gen Con. It's pretty great! But yeah big ol nope to CCGs.

antherem on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Man, I am way into the new Doom. I historically haven't been able to get into these dungeon crawler games, as much as I've wanted to. This one seems to solve exactly all of my problems that I've had with ffg's other entries in this genre. The setup/breakdown time is great. The theme is perfectly married to the mechanics (admittedly that's made a lot easier when the theme is "run around and bombastically slaughter demons"). The loadout options for the marines and the invader are concise, quick to run through, but also meaningful. Everyone gets a turn feeling super badass. The game runs at a brisk clip. And we all get to giggle eveytime I say "Cacodemon."

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    The blind boosters is my main reason to avoid it as well. It's just frustrating that it seems faster paced and overall more fun than the LCG, which I do keep trying to give a chance.

But yeah, I've been trying very, very hard to avoid blind collectibles. I'll make an exception for Magic and even that I've stopped buying since I don't play and will generally focus on buying singles for that.

• WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    The blind boosters is my main reason to avoid it as well. It's just frustrating that it seems faster paced and overall more fun than the LCG, which I do keep trying to give a chance.

But yeah, I've been trying very, very hard to avoid blind collectibles. I'll make an exception for Magic and even that I've stopped buying since I don't play and will generally focus on buying singles for that.

I am an outlier in that I find opening packs burdensome when they are blind so it is pretty easy for me to turn down randomized stuff. If I do decide to go in it is 100% with singles, and building with a specific idea in mind. It always ends up being more cost efficient in the long run.

• Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    So in not Kickstarter news, Mecixa is quite a good game. The components in the Iello edition are outstanding. Those temples are solid resin, through and through. They make the most satisfying thud noise when you put them on the table. The game itself is surprisingly mean, ripe with blocking and "you think I thought you thought" moments. It's a lot of fun.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
    Mikey CTS wrote: »
    So in not Kickstarter news, Mecixa is quite a good game. The components in the Iello edition are outstanding. Those temples are solid resin, through and through. They make the most satisfying thud noise when you put them on the table. The game itself is surprisingly mean, ripe with blocking and "you think I thought you thought" moments. It's a lot of fun.

I love quality components. Really makes you feel like a game is going to be worth your while.

Probably comes from growing up with cheap paper money and thin plastic player pieces. Even Monopoly felt better with the solid metal player pieces, and then the rest feels terrible with thin plastic houses and paper money.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    Yeah. Half of what makes Splendor feel so awesome to play is those meaty poker chips it comes with. Makes me want to learn how to do poker chip tricks when I hold them.

• CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Lords of Vegas is made 1000% better when played with meaty poker chips instead of the included paper money.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular
    I ended up buying meating poker chips a while ago that I often use in some board games with money. Makes everything way better, especially compared to paper money.

jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    The meaty tokens made me debate hunting down a set of Scythe's coins...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    @Ah_Pook @ArcSyn I'm glad your games got there okay and I hope you enjoy them. I always try to grade them harshly so all the surprises are pleasant ones!

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    My wife and I tried a couple games of Jump Drive over the weekend. We both liked that it's faster and more straightforward than RaceFTG, but I think I want something that is similarly quick and strategic but not Jump Drive...though I'm unsure if there is such a game.
    Any ideas what might fill that spot? I'm putting together a CSI order and would really like a great little 20-30 minute game that my wife and I could throw down.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • CantideCantide Registered User regular
    The wife and I did a test run of the first Gloomhaven scenario over the weekend as Tinkerer and Spellweaver, respectively. We were just trying to make sure we had the rules and setup down before starting the official campaign with our friend, so we didn't bother with experience/money/goals and such, but we were still soundly trounced. Some light spoilers for the first mission and Spellweaver cards:
    In retrospect, our downfall began even before we even reached the Barrow, when our Road Event forced us to each discard two cards. The Spellweaver starts with 2 big one-time attacks: Fire Orbs, which lets you make 3 ranged attacks against different targets, and Impaling Eruption, which is a variable line AoE. Since I was planning on saving those two cards until we got into a pinch, they seemed like an easy choice for discards. Unfortunately, the first short rest I took made me lose the Fire Orbs, and the next one stole the Impaling Eruption after I'd used it for movement.

I wasn't altogether worried about this at the time, because we were making handy work of the first two rooms, and I still had my Reviving Ether anyway, which would let me recover all my lost cards. And then we reached the third room.

It started off well, with my wife one-shotting one of the Living Bones with a well placed trap, but we quickly found ourselves in a stalemate, with the surviving skeleton wedged between the two tables while the archers behind him attacked us from safety. This seemed like the perfect opportunity for some fireworks, so I gleefully popped my Ether and prepared to blow some baddies up.

Spoiler alert: no baddies were blown up.

I tried the Impaling Eruption first, with the intention of finishing off the skeleton and knocking half of an archer's health off. Except the skeleton used its "heal + shield" ability that turn, and combined with my drawing a -1 modifier, ended up back at full health. And the archer? Got my first miss of the night.

Things were looking a bit desperate by now, as both our HPs were running low, so I decided to be a bit bolder. I'd use my remaining Jump Move card to put myself smack in the middle of the enemy trio, ping them all with Fire Orbs, and then pop my Cloak of Invisibility to avoid becoming a pincushion. The damage wouldn't be enough to kill any of them, but they'd all be hurting afterward, and we could start picking them off one at a time. My wife even used a Tinkerer card that would boost all my attacks for the turn, so any lucky +1 modifiers might have even been enough for lethal.

Never got to find out, though, because the archers got to go before me, and spent their turn pinning my feet to the ground. And so when my turn arrived, the only one I could have targeted was the skeleton right next to me, which would have put me at disadvantage anyway. Disheartened, I remained Immobilized and just smacked him with a basic Attack 2, which turned into an Attack 0 after drawing a -2. We died a couple rounds later.

Despite Lady Luck clearly being out to get me, we both had a ton of fun with the mission, and can't wait to do it properly next time.

• antheremantherem Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure the deck knows when you're going to short rest and punishes you for it.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    My wife and I tried a couple games of Jump Drive over the weekend. We both liked that it's faster and more straightforward than RaceFTG, but I think I want something that is similarly quick and strategic but not Jump Drive...though I'm unsure if there is such a game.
    Any ideas what might fill that spot? I'm putting together a CSI order and would really like a great little 20-30 minute game that my wife and I could throw down.

If you're looking for a faster more straightforward Race For The Galaxy then your looking for San Juan no question.

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Well, in the end I ended up ordering Robinson Crusoe 2e (got an email for back in stock, which is what prompted this whole thing), Santorini, and Hero Realms + 5 character expansions.

• SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    On the subject of meaty poker chips, I've been giving some thought to prototyping a tile-based game with poker plaques.
    s527692060216796063_p26_i67_w600.jpeg
    nile10000pile.jpg

These days you can get them with about as much detail as a typical hobby-game card, and they can weigh as much as a hundred grams each. A hundred grams.

I have kind've a thing for game components constructed from heavy, high-quality materials...

Sokpuppet on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I've got some ideas kicking around my head but, I'm working with a 4th grade class this semester and wanted to see what you folks would recommend as good games?

RAMPAGE!
    RVcz56xl.jpg

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I've got some ideas kicking around my head but, I'm working with a 4th grade class this semester and wanted to see what you folks would recommend as good games?

Animal Upon Animal
    Dr. Eureka

First couple that come to mind

Ah_Pook on
    Success! They had fun, didn't get too upset with each other, and want to play again! Went a little long, but all in all did well, even with the unstable card table. Unfortunately our dining table is even more wobbly.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    My fourth graders loved 7 Wonders. They weren't necessarily great at it, but it started a ton of conversations about historical figures and such.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    After 3.5 years n the making the creator of Burning Suns finally has a sealed game to unpack.
    https://youtu.be/SsHhTaApxOM

This is my longest running backed project.
    As I went all in on the different alien races my game will be delivered when all the extras are done.
    I hope the game turns out to be fun.

steam_sig.png
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    After 3.5 years n the making the creator of Burning Suns finally has a sealed game to unpack.
    https://youtu.be/SsHhTaApxOM

This is my longest running backed project.
    As I went all in on the different alien races my game will be delivered when all the extras are done.
    I hope the game turns out to be fun.

After how awful the final rules PDF was in terms of layout and clarity I'm not holding out for it to be playable at all

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    I got a new job this week (start next week)! My unemployment benefits shenanigans are being resolved and I'll be getting all my pay! AND Scythe is arriving today 2 days ahead of the original FedEx eta!
    ALL THE THINGS!

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    I got my Mint Works shipping notification. That'll be something light and fun to look forward to.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »
    I got my Mint Works shipping notification. That'll be something light and fun to look forward to.

I got mine a couple days ago, too. It looks like it has just been sitting at a UPS store since 1/30 though.

camo_sig2.png
  • Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular

Castle Panic and Potion Explosion come to mind.

NNID = Zepp914
    Dirk2112 wrote: »

Maybe Jamaica?

steam_sig.png
    edited February 2017

Maybe Jamaica?

Nah, try Forumla D instead. Simpler, scales with player experience, and only gets better with more players.

Mikey CTS on
    Mikey CTS wrote: »

Maybe Jamaica?

Nah, try Forumla D instead. Simpler, scales with player experience, and only gets better with more players.

But everyone likes pirates....yarrr

steam_sig.png
  • CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular

Second Potion Explosion and add Dr. Eureka.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.

Maybe Jamaica?

I will never understand why anyone would like that game. My wife bought it for my birthday last year and it is just awful. The components are nice though.

NNID = Zepp914
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular

Maybe Jamaica?

I will never understand why anyone would like that game. My wife bought it for my birthday last year and it is just awful. The components are nice though.

I played it for the first time last week. The mechanics were fun for a bit due to being unique from anything else I've played but the gameplay was all over the place. I had no idea who was going to win until we actually counted points.

edited February 2017
    BlazeFire wrote: »

I played it for the first time last week. The mechanics were fun for a bit due to being unique from anything else I've played but the gameplay was all over the place. I had no idea who was going to win until we actually counted points.

I hear it is good with 6 players, but the most we have ever played with is 4. We have played entire games without ship to ship combat. We also found out pretty quickly that it is easier to win with coins than actually win the race.

Dirk2112 on
    NNID = Zepp914
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »

I hear it is good with 6 players, but the most we have ever played with is 4. We have played entire games without ship to ship combat. We also found out pretty quickly that it is easier to win with coins than actually win the race.

We played with 3. We had lots of ship-to-ship combat. That is interesting that we had different experiences on that front. I barely got into the +2 point spot (moved there on last turn) when someone got back to Port Royal. I ended up winning due to coins (which I won from a last-turn combat, actually).