As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Should auld [Podcasts] be forgot, and always rewatch shows

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    I love Rose Buddies but everything they've ever said about The Bachelor seems to be in complete opposition to the notion that the bachelor shows are fun to watch.

Once you start watching it can get pretty wild. The louisiana episode was just as good as they said, and BiP in particular is really really fun trash television. When it isn't featuring Rod that is. Daniel in particular makes great super weird beard tv.

If that stuff is considered "good" then I stand by my statement.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

In case you're in need of a show that you desperately want to like but you only like two people on it and the other two are either stunningly unfunny or you cannot get a grasp on their opinions

"oh god way" perfectly encapsulates this

because it's not like most podcasts in this vein where the premise is absurd or exceedingly dumb

it's just not a good podcast, involving two very podcasters, that should not exist anymore

though if I listen to this and it's somehow good now or something i'll be deeply disappointed

oh don't worry, you won't be. I don't know why i love it so much but I find something deeply satisfying about how bad it is, in its very specific way.

Like, I can't watch Law Abiding Citizen in the same way, maybe because having one person who's good at it isn't enough.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Ok, after the latest two episodes, I'm predicting a future AAtW bonus episode hosted by Cameron, featuring the smash hit 90s all-star animated biblical epic, The Prince Of Egypt.

I love Rose Buddies but everything they've ever said about The Bachelor seems to be in complete opposition to the notion that the bachelor shows are fun to watch.

Once you start watching it can get pretty wild. The louisiana episode was just as good as they said, and BiP in particular is really really fun trash television. When it isn't featuring Rod that is. Daniel in particular makes great super weird beard tv.

If that stuff is considered "good" then I stand by my statement.

In the Louisiana episode, the two "wifey" contestants had a nice conversation with a ghost!

• masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    I'd be happy about that, it's a good movie!

Maybe the only good biblical movie released in the past 20 years

• Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Ok, after the latest two episodes, I'm predicting a future AAtW bonus episode hosted by Cameron, featuring the smash hit 90s all-star animated biblical epic, The Prince Of Egypt.

I love that movie!

Edit: the Joseph semi-sequal had better animation but Prince of Egypt was still better. I could also sing a series of Veggie Tales songs for breaks during said episode.

Kane Red Robe on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Jimothy wrote: »

Oh God I forgot about this podcast and looks like now I have to listen to it

Just downloaded the first ep

Going through the show's Twitter, the fanart is actually really great?

I'm always saying that any Animorphs revival is meant to live as an animated series, and the fanart is really vindicating

listen I have at least three pages of writing that disagrees with this assessment so I will-

I've got a five season plan, character bios, arcs mapped out

I go back and forth on the artstyle, but I've given it a lot of thought

I don't believe that live action can do the material justice (CG and animal training just aren't there and might never be) and there's way too many good characters and storylines to fit into a movie series

Every time the movie rumor comes up I hold my breath for a bit because I think it would be a huge mistake

I do think there's a lot of potential overlap with your CW series idea (my show would focus a lot more on high school than the books did), but I dunno, I just don't have faith in a live action adaptation

This fanart is real good though

mostly where I'm at is that, in this purely hypothetical scenario, is that I don't think there's really anyone willing to make that animated show in a way that would do any justice to the source material

From the MBMBaM Facebook group: Fanart for the actual best podcast on the internet

1rrpJyTl.jpg

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    11th hour is my favorite arc

the battlewagon race still wins out as my favorite sequence though

I think I like the bank robbery sequence in the eleventh hour waaaay more.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular

I love that movie!

Edit: the Joseph semi-sequal had better animation but Prince of Egypt was still better. I could also sing a series of Veggie Tales songs for breaks during said episode.

Pull @Theodore Floosevelt in too for a full 5 minute interlude of Jonah Was A Prophet and you'll absolutely have my attention.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Oh if you want musical interludes on our podcast you should be very excited for the week after next's episode

CYpGAPn.png
    so the besties podcast actually had a pretty good discussion of the switch and chris plante of all people brought up the financial reason I think the console is going to have trouble and is a tough sell to families. I feel like games journalists just have a...weird perspective on those issues and put them to the side very quickly.

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

I love that movie!

Real talk?

Veggie Tales was okay for children's religious programming

I love that movie!

Real talk?

Veggie Tales was okay for children's religious programming

some of them are ok, some can get pretty bad with their particular indoctrination. I remembered them much more positively and then my son watched a couple and I was like ahhhh ohhhh hmmmmmm

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Sometimes I get pretty down on TWA when I'm looking at how great other podcasts are

Then I edit one where we talk about the secret fourth bop it command, the creepiest part of tenchi muyo, and which power ranger is the murderer in clue within lie a 15 minute span

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular

I'm always saying that any Animorphs revival is meant to live as an animated series, and the fanart is really vindicating

listen I have at least three pages of writing that disagrees with this assessment so I will-

I've got a five season plan, character bios, arcs mapped out

I go back and forth on the artstyle, but I've given it a lot of thought

I don't believe that live action can do the material justice (CG and animal training just aren't there and might never be) and there's way too many good characters and storylines to fit into a movie series

Every time the movie rumor comes up I hold my breath for a bit because I think it would be a huge mistake

I do think there's a lot of potential overlap with your CW series idea (my show would focus a lot more on high school than the books did), but I dunno, I just don't have faith in a live action adaptation

This fanart is real good though

mostly where I'm at is that, in this purely hypothetical scenario, is that I don't think there's really anyone willing to make that animated show in a way that would do any justice to the source material

Oh yeah, it's totally a pipe dream. It's tough material to adapt to any medium. Animation's main hurdle is that it tends to be directed toward kids, and it'd be very likely to neuter Animorphs if you did that.

I do think we're moving toward a TV landscape where it's more possible though-- Unfortunate Events is a faithful (and kinda brutal) adaptation of a formerly popular, now obscure, book series. Voltron is an animated streaming show that has good action, thoughtful world-building, clearly has a budget behind it. The Samurai Jack revival looks to be a late night animated show that features more violence than you could otherwise get away with, but (hopefully) not too far into "look at how cool and gross we are." ATLA didn't talk down to its audience, had great character work.

This Netflix Castlevania series that was just announced sounds like it would be in the same vein-- violent series about a fairly popular but not culturally present property.

Cult hits are much more likely to get picked up and supported right now.

What were you thinking for your teen drama idea as far as aliens and spaceships and morphing and animals? CW seems to only occasionally have the budget for one episode of Grodd.

• Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Sometimes I get pretty down on TWA when I'm looking at how great other podcasts are

Then I edit one where we talk about the secret fourth bop it command, the creepiest part of tenchi muyo, and which power ranger is the murderer in clue within lie a 15 minute span

TWA and Totally Reprise are both my priority podcasts so

you're doing something right

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Aw, the indigenous actors Dollop is a live show (which I almost never like), with Burt Kreischer (whom I almost never like).

Expectations plummeting.

• Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7ZIOkUv4Ws

This is a very good Quick Look

Vinny playing bad games is always a good time

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Aw, the indigenous actors Dollop is a live show (which I almost never like), with Burt Kreischer (whom I almost never like).

Expectations plummeting.
    He is incredibly obnoxious, I stopped listening about a third of the way through

CYpGAPn.png
  • GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Yeah I can rarely handle live Dollops.

Sometimes it seems like they are incredibly hungover for them too.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular

I love that movie!

Pull Theodore Floosevelt in too for a full 5 minute interlude of Jonah Was A Prophet and you'll absolutely have my attention.

my veggie tales knowledge is limited but I'm in

I'm always in for singing and/or being obnoxious!

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

Expectations plummeting.

Podcasts have taught me that "road comic" is synonymous with "comedians who don't have to be funny"

6F32U1X.png
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

In case you're in need of a show that you desperately want to like but you only like two people on it and the other two are either stunningly unfunny or you cannot get a grasp on their opinions

"oh god way" perfectly encapsulates this

because it's not like most podcasts in this vein where the premise is absurd or exceedingly dumb

it's just not a good podcast, involving two very podcasters, that should not exist anymore

though if I listen to this and it's somehow good now or something i'll be deeply disappointed

oh don't worry, you won't be. I don't know why i love it so much but I find something deeply satisfying about how bad it is, in its very specific way.

Like, I can't watch Law Abiding Citizen in the same way, maybe because having one person who's good at it isn't enough.

yeah, law abiding citizen is still striving too stridently for being legitimately funny, i think (from the little i watched)

i need more obvious ennui and despair from the talented podcasters being brought low

f2ojmwh3geue.png

I love that movie!

Pull Theodore Floosevelt in too for a full 5 minute interlude of Jonah Was A Prophet and you'll absolutely have my attention.

What vegetable will you be?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

I love that movie!

Is beefcake a vegetable

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group

I love that movie!

Is beefcake a vegetable

No. But there are occasional fruits in Veggie Tales, so you could be a banana I guess.

I love that movie!

Is beefcake a vegetable

No. But there are occasional fruits in Veggie Tales, so you could be a banana I guess.

Then I'd be allergic to myself

I love that movie!

Is beefcake a vegetable

Then I'd be allergic to myself

So business as usual then? ;)

I love that movie!

Is beefcake a vegetable

If you have to ask I'm not sure I can give an answer you'd understand.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

I love that movie!

eggplant emoji

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Expectations plummeting.
    He is incredibly obnoxious, I stopped listening about a third of the way through

It takes a turn towards the back third when he's just so fucking angry about how terrible indigineous people are treated

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular

Oh man you took my question?!

I am so excited!

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017

I love that movie!

Is beefcake a vegetable

Junior Asparagus, Zack needs no introduction
    1if7lbsehju0.jpg

When you knock him down he gets the fuck back up again!

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png

I love that movie!

eggplant emoji

Good fuckin' choice.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Oh if you want musical interludes on our podcast you should be very excited for the week after next's episode

I want you to know that I hate you

Grey Ghost wrote: »

I want you to know that I hate you

Graham I am so, so excited for this

I've got popcorn

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

Expectations plummeting.

I haven't given up on the ep yet, though I am taking a break from it. Burt isn't as bad as I was expecting, but he's not particularly great, either.

I'm really appreciating how quickly and how thoroughly they're catching all the inherent hypocrisy of the era, though. Like Gary's bit about the studio script notes was fucking golden.

"'Halfbreed,' 'halfbreed,' 'halfbreed' - that's all good, nothing to see there. Whoa, change that 'damn' to a 'darn.' 'Halfbreed,' 'halfbreed,' 'halfbreed,' that's fine. Oh, you can't show the couple at the end kissing."

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular

@The Geebs That Knows Everything About Animorphs have you listened to this?

I just finished the first ep and I really liked it!

This discussion has been closed.