As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

For Sale: 2017 [Car thread] - No Rust! New Clutch! Blown Turbo!

Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
edited February 2017 in Social Entropy++
DMXIFgQ.png
CARS
(and motorcycles)

What is the single-most important thing about cars (and motorcycles)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygBP7MtT3Ac

Power = speed. And speed is perfectly safe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAoZWyLMb6c

TL;DR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JWgmv92fQk

- SAFETY TIPS -

1. If you live in a place with winter, please please please get winter tires (tyres). AWD/4WD is not magic:

Ep6wsuB.jpg

2. Take your car off sweet jumps whenever you can. It looks awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kntCqeudw0

3. Keep a fire extinguisher in your Ferrari:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2Swlt6jF7Y

- IN TODAY'S THREAD -

Hammond wears a hat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfRfj6FkfYg

James talks you to sleep:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3R4pstLlqE

Jeremy does a show that isn't Top Gear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr2dhjDE2Ro

Queue the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tgia4ZPgTo
2lLfpHA.png

Bear is Driving on

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Drive safe, people.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Challenge accepted.

On that note, I don't think the Grand Tour has been very good. The tent bits are tediously unfunny and I haven't been that impressed with most of the films.

Also Mini Coopers have this thing where the front windows go down a quarter of an inch when you open the door and go back up when you close the door to snug up with the roof seal unless it is sub zero in which case the window freezes up and then the door won't close right. You can hit the window down a bit so the door will close but then it won't go back up so it just doesn't seal in a different way. It freezes inside the door so scraping doesn't do shit. People ask me how the Mini is in winter. It drives perfectly fine. But the door/window thing makes me hate it.

Bear is Driving on
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I still have a vow based on IpseDixit - every time I get on a motorbike, Redline Day becomes my battle hymn for the ride

Funny enough, when I'm driving the Subaru I end up channeling Kesha

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Challenge accepted.

On that note, I don't think the Grand Tour has been very good. The tent bits are tediously unfunny and I haven't been that impressed with most of the films.

Also Mini Coopers have this thing where the front windows go down a quarter of an inch when you open the door and go back up when you close the door to snug up with the roof seal unless it is sub zero in which case the window freezes up and then the door won't close right. You can hit the window down a bit so the door will close but then it won't go back up so it just doesn't seal in a different way. It freezes inside the door so scraping doesn't do shit. People ask me how the Mini is in winter. It drives perfectly fine. But the door/window thing makes me hate it.

I always thought that was just a standard thing in convertible cars, just because my dad's bmw does that and it's the only time I've seen that.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    that car is near me and when i saw it i seriously considered going get it, except then I saw the date on the post and realized its probably loooooong gone by now

edited February 2017
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Challenge accepted.

I always thought that was just a standard thing in convertible cars, just because my dad's bmw does that and it's the only time I've seen that.

Maybe? My convertibles were '86 and '91 (old). Never drove them in the winter either. heh.

I've had electric windows stick before in the winter - it happens. But they always had full frame doors so at least the doors worked properly even when the windows didn't. It's an annoying quality of life thing, I suppose.

That said, the electric windshield defroster is godly. Seeing the ice melt off the windshield in less than a minute is the most satisfying thing ever. Ice scrapers are for suckers!

Bear is Driving on
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    That's a thing built in your car, not just an attachment thing?

I feel like that would be useful when I go out to my car and there's a cm of ice with another 5 cm of snow on top of that.

jgeis wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ7TZ-3qILQ

This whole YouTube channel is gold, if perhaps occasionally a bit crude with its jokes

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I own 2 cars.

My 2009 Volkswagen Tiguan

My wife's 2009 GMC Acadia.

Psykoma wrote: »
    That's a thing built in your car, not just an attachment thing?

I feel like that would be useful when I go out to my car and there's a cm of ice with another 5 cm of snow on top of that.

Built into the windshield. They're like the rear window defrosters that are really common.

RJLmj6J.jpg

They're like that but not normally that visible. Very thin squiggly lines. You have to really focus to see them.

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Challenge accepted.

I've not watch any of the grand tour. I can't find enough fucks to go pirate it investigate the options of seeing it legally. Which is a thing, in that I have all of the old new top gear episodes floating around and have watch them all multiple times.

I do enjoy watching James May put things back together though. More of that sort of thing.

Yeah at this point I only really much care for James May out of that lot. GT turned up the gratingness of Hammond instead of mitigating, and Clarkson was about the same as ever.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Fuck top gear

What a bunch of entitled assholes

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    We took the girlfriend's Fiat 500 Pop in for service (there was a TSB for slow-to-act reverse lights?) and looked at the stuff on their lot, they had a pretty 500 Abarth in a new bluish-gray color that they didn't have when she bought her 500.

She's been thinking of upgrading anyway since she got a promotion at work, but she loves her 500, so now she's considering getting a 500 Abarth. She'd get to keep the 500 body, but would have more power, more niceties, a sportier ride, and a color that she really wants.

I've been pushing pretty hard for her to upgrade.

I've not enjoyed grand tour much at all.

I think the guest segment helped the show a lot by getting their heads out of each other's assess for a few minutes

The challenges and races have way less structure, which again gives the viewer no relief from the personalities.

Most of the tent segments have been pretty lazy.

The track is horrible. The stig they got doesn't look like he's got much experience in street circuits at a high level. I don't see how they can push these half million hyper cars on a track where if they wiggle once they'll fucking die

They can do way better and I hope they make some changes in season 2

• MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    my '90 Accord basically died on me this week (not retaining oil, radiator's cracked, belts need replacing) :(

So now I gotta get a new car! I'm thinking... '05 Accord

l3icwZV.png
    I watched a mid-90s C-class Benz goes up in flames on the 210 freeway today, looked like everyone was clear of the car.

Hopefully New New Top Gear will find its own feel within the next couple of seasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN_An7VaMDk

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Jasconius wrote: »
    The stig they got doesn't look like he's got much experience in street circuits at a high level.

You mean Mike Skinner?

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Grawr. Stupid Ford.
    Apparently, they no longer support their modular V8s. They support the 302s and 351s of years past, and obviously the new 5.0L V8, but not their 4.6 and 5.4 that they had for a good decade or so.
    I've got two vehicles with the 4.6 in them.
    One is the Mustang GT Convertible. It's got low miles and is a convertible, so it's honestly hardly been driven.

The other is my Lincoln Mk VIII. It has a rear main seal leak, I believe. It has ~120K miles on it or so. I was thinking of maybe pulling the engine and rebuilding it, but there is a complete dearth of info or anything about rebuild kits. Basically, there is one mfr that has a rebuild kit, but according to their website, they're on back order. Who knows if this is even made any more. Might make a call about it, but am really not considering it.
    I can't find any recently updated info on any built blocks, short or long. I have found that for a ridiculous sum, I can get a "built" engine for one of the Cobras, but none of that info has been updated in YEARS.
    Summit has blocks at like $6-11k, which, like, starts at more than 3x the worth of the car. That is just the block, and doesn't apparently have any of the rotating assembly or anything else.
    I cannot find any crank, rod, or piston info anywhere.

So now I'm kind of stuck here. I think I might just get the rear main replaced. Do a full tune up while it's possibly out? Spend more than the $2.5 it's worth and all that.
    Or I could just sell it as-is and get around $2k I think, and just be done with it.
    It will turn 20 next year, and I've been told that car values shoot up once they hit 20. However, I don't think I drive it enough that I want to really keep it sitting in the garage.

What do you guys think?

The stig they got doesn't look like he's got much experience in street circuits at a high level.

You mean https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Skinner_(racing_driver)Mike Skinner?

yeah mike skinner was not a good nascar driver. i dont understand where they fished him up. maybe he's a racing instructor in a second life or something? he hasn't been in a car in like 15 years

cant believe there wasn't some american indy driver who could just fly out to england for a weekend and knock them all out

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Grawr. Stupid Ford.
    Apparently, they no longer support their modular V8s. They support the 302s and 351s of years past, and obviously the new 5.0L V8, but not their 4.6 and 5.4 that they had for a good decade or so.
    One is the Mustang GT Convertible. It's got low miles and is a convertible, so it's honestly hardly been driven.

The other is my Lincoln Mk VIII. It has a rear main seal leak, I believe. It has ~120K miles on it or so. I was thinking of maybe pulling the engine and rebuilding it, but there is a complete dearth of info or anything about rebuild kits. Basically, there is one mfr that has a rebuild kit, but according to their website, they're on back order. Who knows if this is even made any more. Might make a call about it, but am really not considering it.
    I can't find any recently updated info on any built blocks, short or long. I have found that for a ridiculous sum, I can get a "built" engine for one of the Cobras, but none of that info has been updated in YEARS.
    Summit has blocks at like $6-11k, which, like, starts at more than 3x the worth of the car. That is just the block, and doesn't apparently have any of the rotating assembly or anything else.

So now I'm kind of stuck here. I think I might just get the rear main replaced. Do a full tune up while it's possibly out? Spend more than the $2.5 it's worth and all that.
    Or I could just sell it as-is and get around $2k I think, and just be done with it.
    It will turn 20 next year, and I've been told that car values shoot up once they hit 20. However, I don't think I drive it enough that I want to really keep it sitting in the garage.

What do you guys think?

Get involved with the Panther Platform forums. Probably the biggest repository of 4.6L knowledge out there since that motor was in the crown vic. There is a pretty hefty aftermarket for them.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I missed you, car thread.

• LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Challenge accepted.

My '05 Mustang (non-convertible) did that as well and I never found a good solution to the problem. :(

LaOs on
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Grawr. Stupid Ford.

What do you guys think?

Get involved with the Panther Platform forums. Probably the biggest repository of 4.6L knowledge out there since that motor was in the crown vic. There is a pretty hefty aftermarket for them.

I'll take a look.
    The two main Mk VIII forums I know of are all-but-dead at this point. What good do posts from 2004 on rebuilding the engine do me, when the companies listed either don't exist or don't support the engine any more?

If I had the ability to do custom fab work, I'd look at putting in the new 5.0 V8, but how long until Ford doesn't support that any more?

You mean https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Skinner_(racing_driver)Mike Skinner?

yeah mike skinner was not a good nascar driver. i dont understand where they fished him up. maybe he's a racing instructor in a second life or something? he hasn't been in a car in like 15 years

cant believe there wasn't some american indy driver who could just fly out to england for a weekend and knock them all out

He never won a championship, but he was most successful on the street courses. Plus he would have been cheap as chips. Still, they could have gotten someone like Marcos Ambrose, surely he's gotten sick of driving those shitty trucks by now?

Grawr. Stupid Ford.

What do you guys think?

The 5.4 litre version of the modular V8 was sold here in Australia for quite a while, you might be able to get parts from here. Shipping will be a bitch though - Australia Post charges like a pissed-off bull.

He never won a championship, but he was most successful on the street courses. Plus he would have been cheap as chips. Still, they could have gotten someone like Marcos Ambrose, surely he's gotten sick of driving those shitty trucks by now?

He left already and failed to return to the Supertaxis.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Nearly smashing into the car in front of me at a stoplight finally got me to take my car back to the VW service center to have my brakes checked out which felt as if they hadn't been fully bled after a service.

The whole system was checked out and nothing is wrong. The service was initially done because of uneven pad wear due to the pads dragging on the rotors. I personally like a stiff/hard brake pedal with a lot of initial bite, so the added space from properly adjusting the brakes means that bite point in much further down the pedal travel. Not ideal but I'll just have to live with it and get used to it.

At least this gives me the incentive to use a portion of my tax return on new rotors, better pads (Porterfield R4-S), a caliper stiffening kit from Tyrolsport, and maybe stainless steel lines and new fluid this Spring. I could probably afford a BBK but that would mean I wouldn't be able to use my smaller winter wheels and tires anymore. I also don't track or autocross my car so a BBK would honestly be overkill. Although a third option would be the Porsche Boxster brake swap and all the assorted parts, but again they're probably overkill (but oh so tempting).

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Currently in the market for a cheap shitty car that is less shitty than the car that has just died on us

Infuriatingly I have arranged to go and see four cars in two days, three of which sold in the time between making the call and my getting out of work

The other was a fiat panda that the guy was putting through its MOT that morning, which failed catastrophically, so bullet dodged, I suppose

I have such a boner for the Giulia Quadrifoglio.

https://youtu.be/WGAU7aFMFwQ

Yeah, it's like a new 75 only it doesn't suck!

If the Alfa 90 that I saw for about $3k a few years ago was around when I wanted to buy a car, I'da bought it. Dad had one back in the day, fond memories.

Does the 75 suck?

Only if you want to drive it, or be able to afford to repair it.

That busso V6 though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bueBeVBfcQ

I put it to you that it does not suck, you just don't like it. And that's ok.

You can get the V6 in any number of Alfas, though. I'd get an Alfetta GTV6 long before a 75, based purely on the fact the Alfetta was probably built straight from the factory. You don't get that with a 75. Instead you get the kind of shutlines where you don't need to open the door to put your briefcase in the car.

You can get the V6 in any number of Alfas, though. I'd get an Alfetta GTV6 long before a 75, based purely on the fact the Alfetta was probably built straight from the factory. You don't get that with a 75. Instead you get the kind of shutlines where you don't need to open the door to put your briefcase in the car.

Such convenience! Easy access bag slot! You don't get that on a modern car, no siree.

I kind of want a Alfa 164 to dick around in, they're pretty cheap and I think they're a handsome car.

Sucks about the FWD but that V6 ungggg.

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Nothing quite as exciting as talking to the loan officers and the insurance agents and telling them you want to buy a very, very weird car.

This discussion has been closed.