As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

WHO ELSE CAN DO [chat]!

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Wake up! Time to kawaii

omg

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    aFgf2Ek.png

Fucking Mary Worth. Figuratively. Literally would be fucked up.

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    This pizza is not very good today. Nor is the service. Must be the "B" crew today.

*Makes mental note not to eat here on Thursday*

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    One thing I learned from being on the other side of the JET interview process is just how much I overthought and overstressed with my own application and interview

If you can come across as an enthusiastic, amiable person with a clear interest and motivation to connect with Japan, you're pretty much guaranteed to be in the top half of candidates

some real shockers somehow get through the initial paper application vetting

• BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b342k5OKlV0

Welcome to the only [chat] that could ever be, folks.

L'Etat, c'est moi.

Edit:

Per a very kind request from a lovely fellow [chat]ter:

Surely you mean "Le [chat], c'est moi."

I know what I said.

#RepublicOfNarwhalia

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    This pizza is not very good today. Nor is the service. Must be the "B" crew today.

what

how

• AersienAersien Registered User regular
    Ate lots of vegan restaurant food in NYC (Candle 79, for the curious). It was pretty delicious, although I'm a little weirded out by vegan substitutes for things, more intellectually than by discriminating palate.

I remain a partisan of the Philadelphia's ridiculous vegan restaurants, though.

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    One thing I learned from being on the other side of the JET interview process is just how much I overthought and overstressed with my own application and interview

If you can come across as an enthusiastic, amiable person with a clear interest and motivation to connect with Japan, you're pretty much guaranteed to be in the top half of candidates

some real shockers somehow get through the initial paper application vetting
    i am doing this now for future versions of me in the lab
    and its like
    how did you get this far
    are you alive right now
    or
    you aren't perfect but you are very nice and knowledgeable

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

L'Etat, c'est moi.

Edit:

I know what I said.

#RepublicOfNarwhalia

But wordplay!

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    My sister applied for a job in Orange County. I hope she gets to move back to SoCal so bad.

Bless your heart.
  • Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular

L'Etat, c'est moi.

Edit:

I know what I said.

#RepublicOfNarwhalia

But wordplay!

Forget it Jake, it's Narwhaltown

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    This has been thoroughly enjoyable. Now I am going to bed, friends!

Be good to yourself and to each other, I do hope you thoroughly enjoy the [chat] I made for you <3

• A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    *eats ice cream because FUCK IT*

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364

L'Etat, c'est moi.

Edit:

I know what I said.

#RepublicOfNarwhalia

But wordplay!

Forget it Jake, it's Narwhaltown

I'm not Jake, even though I've gambled a stamp or two in my day

are you seeking counseling?

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

what

how

Middle kinda cold like it had been sitting there, edges burned. Not terrible, but not up to the usual standard here.

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I'm still not convinced this chat has been properly sanctioned, in every sense of the word

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin

what

how

Middle kinda cold like it had been sitting there, edges burned. Not terrible, but not up to the usual standard here.

shame

and on national pizza day

• A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular

are you seeking counseling?

goddammit accidental innuendo stop making words difficult

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    also did I mention the lunches I got for my efforts were A+++

bento boxes which varied each day - duck breast, tonkatsu, sashimi...

*ponders potential to work for the consulate full time*

• SealSeal Registered User regular
    Posting to pledge [chat] fealty to my fellow aqautic mammal.

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    dissertation progress today: 12 words

• credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Aersien wrote: »
    Ate lots of vegan restaurant food in NYC (Candle 79, for the curious). It was pretty delicious, although I'm a little weirded out by vegan substitutes for things, more intellectually than by discriminating palate.

I remain a partisan of the Philadelphia's ridiculous vegan restaurants, though.

I have to say, getting treated to an excessively pricey vegan restaurant by finance bro cousin, even though none of us are, in fact, vegan, feels like a good use of an evening in NYC.

Man the dessert was not good though. I think you need to go for something that is deliberately designed as a vegan dessert rather than a vegan adaptation of a brownie or what have you.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
    Seal wrote: »

Hark, is this an Agenda I see?

• Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    also did I mention the lunches I got for my efforts were A+++

bento boxes which varied each day - duck breast, tonkatsu, sashimi...

*ponders potential to work for the consulate full time*

d-duck?

*sweats*

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Yo @Kid Presentable here is the skinny on Dragonfall

First, general stuff:
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Gonmun wrote: »
    @Jacobkosh Hey sir, any tips for a new Street Samurai?

A good approach to characters in SRR/Dragonfall is to focus on one (1) combat skill, two (2) utilities, and Charisma. (There's never really a good reason not to be a charismatic main character in a PC RPG, because it always opens up so many options.)

Pretty much any weapon approach is totally viable. Assault rifles are the best overall weapon, but tend to use both of your action points (leaving you unable to move after firing). Shotguns do really solid damage up-close. Pistols do less damage round-to-round but have decent range and the best critical hits in the game, and the best trick shot powers (hitting multiple targets, disarming enemies, etc). Melee is also a solid option, although it's better in Dragonfall than in Shadowrun Returns.

Grenades are pretty nice too, but obviously with so few inventory slots you can't have that as your main thing.

Pick one thing to start out with - "I'm going to be really good at pistols," or whatever, and jack it up to 4 or 5 as soon as you can.

Now, the way the skills work, your chance to hit in ranged or melee combat is determined by the Ranged Combat or Melee Combat skills, NOT by the Assault Rifle, Pistol, Unarmed, etc skills for specific weapons. What the specific weapon skills do is improve your criticals and unlock better powers with those weapons. So if you have a good ranged combat and focus on assault rifles, there's no reason not to pack a backup shotty or pistol or whatever just in case.

So after you've got your main combat weapon chosen, pick a utility skill. By utilities I mean stuff like Biotech (which lets medkits heal you more, and in Dragonfall opens up a surprising number of bonus dialogue options), or Dodge (the ability not to be hit), or Body (which affects your HP). I think any character should probably have a minimum of 3 in Body but if you plan on doing a lot of melee or being in danger it is definitely worth pumping that up to 6 or even higher.

Lastly, as a street sam, you're going to want cyberware, but - and this is frustrating - WAIT. Don't buy the first stuff you see. The game releases progressively better and better cyberware as you progress, so your best bet is to wait till the later-game and stuff as much of that sweet 'ware into you as can fit rather than settle for some bulky, crappy cyberleg that will drop your Essence by a ton and prevent you getting something better later on.

Next, I see you have chosen the path of the Pistol Decker.

This is correct. Congratulations. You have an unerring sense of taste.

Pistoleros are a bit tough in combat at first because the early pistols are kind of plinky and Decking makes everything more tough at first because succeeding at it requires a big investment in points (you need Intelligence and Decking and ESP Control). The upside here is massive flexibility. You will never need to worry about bringing a decker along, because you are him, so you can focus on bringing your team's hitters. You will be able to get into every hidden cache of items and money and take every shortcut so the overall game will be easier (and this effect of course snowballs over time as the accrued bonus shit you find makes you more and more capable relative to the gameworld). It's also nice because Pistols specialize in powerful trick shots that don't use up all your actions - again, flexibility. The AR guy has to stand in the open and unload but you can snap off three shots at three different dudes and then move to cover all in the same round.

There seem to be three big competence thresholds: early on, if you have something (particularly a gun skill) at 4, you're about at the target difficulty. Later, in the mid game, you wnat things around 7. Finally, at the end game, you want your best stats at 9 or 10. So focus on getting your skills to those targets at those points.

I recommend something like

BODY 3
    STRENGTH 1
    QUICKNESS 4
    Ranged Combat 4
    Pistols 4
    INTELLIGENCE 4
    Decking 4
    ESP Control 2
    WILLPOWER 1
    CHARISMA 4

And then as you go, bump up Body to 4, add some points in Dodge (think about having 5 by the endgame), and Biotech or extra Charisma, all while steadily working your skills up. ESP Control never needs to be as high as Decking but having it at least 5 is going to be super useful for you in key missions near the end. IMPORTANT: while ESPs are sold in the "consumable" tab, they are in fact not consumable; when you buy one, you have it forever. If it dies during a mission you lose access to it for that mission but you get it back afterward. Do not hesitate to use them unless you suspect there will be multiple Matrix breaches in the level.

The best Etiquettes in Dragonfall are Corporate and Security, easily. No others come up nearly as often or yield such tangible rewards. Academic is fantastic - it gives ok in-game rewards but is super handy for players who want to dig deeper into the story, as it lets your guy decipher scientific documents etc (you are apparently a genius polymath with it (this is also why the Biotech skill is useful specifically in this game)). Criminal and Shadowrunner are both useful on a couple of important occasions. Gang comes up like once and I am not sure if Socialite ever does.

I think all the leveling up your party member paths are pretty valid but in Dietrich's case I was all about free extra spirits and in Eiger's case I was like YES SNIPER RIFLE PLS

GENERAL TIPS:
    - talk to every NPC after important missions. It does affect the outcome of the late game in small but cool ways.
    - just like a Bioware game, all your companions have side stories (bar Dietrich, whose quest is also part of the main chain). Push them on their backstories. Glory doesn't want to talk to you and the options are kind of misleading and make it seem like if you wait she'll open up - she doesn't. You have to actually push her into talking a bit, but once you start it opens up some of the best content in the game.
    - Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, never make a deal with a dragon

rRwz9.gif
    dissertation progress today: 12 words

this humblebrag

here's a local vegetarian vietnamese place that posted their prix fixe valentine's day menu and it looks really good maybe i can like put a shirt over a pillow with a baseball cap on it so it doesn't look like i'm forever alone

what

how

shame

Wait what

• SealSeal Registered User regular
    Seal wrote: »

Hark, is this an Agenda I see?
    No, let us all go to the beach. Disregard flotation devices this is a time for fun only.

what

how

shame

Wait what

Forget it, 'lock, it's Pizzatown

what

how

shame

Wait what

today is national pizza day

i mentioned it this morning don't you read all of my posts?

what

how

shame

Wait what

4upuvupp01ns.jpg

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular

what

how

shame

Wait what

i know i do because you're my favorite rectal dysfunction

Bless your heart.
    TTODewback wrote: »

what

how

shame

Wait what

i know i do because you're my favorite rectal dysfunction

No no that's @bowen

wrong

chapped anus 5ever
    a stick of bert's bees to the bumhole is the only cure

Bless your heart.
    wrong

chapped anus 5ever
    a stick of bert's bees to the bumhole is the only cure

the kind with menthol if you want a little more pep in your step

i wonder how many people never realized what your name was short for

Bless your heart.
    i wonder how many people never realized what your name was short for

i can think of one

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Yo @Kid Presentable here is the skinny on Dragonfall

First, general stuff:
    Gonmun wrote: »
    @Jacobkosh Hey sir, any tips for a new Street Samurai?

A good approach to characters in SRR/Dragonfall is to focus on one (1) combat skill, two (2) utilities, and Charisma. (There's never really a good reason not to be a charismatic main character in a PC RPG, because it always opens up so many options.)

Pretty much any weapon approach is totally viable. Assault rifles are the best overall weapon, but tend to use both of your action points (leaving you unable to move after firing). Shotguns do really solid damage up-close. Pistols do less damage round-to-round but have decent range and the best critical hits in the game, and the best trick shot powers (hitting multiple targets, disarming enemies, etc). Melee is also a solid option, although it's better in Dragonfall than in Shadowrun Returns.

Grenades are pretty nice too, but obviously with so few inventory slots you can't have that as your main thing.

Pick one thing to start out with - "I'm going to be really good at pistols," or whatever, and jack it up to 4 or 5 as soon as you can.

Now, the way the skills work, your chance to hit in ranged or melee combat is determined by the Ranged Combat or Melee Combat skills, NOT by the Assault Rifle, Pistol, Unarmed, etc skills for specific weapons. What the specific weapon skills do is improve your criticals and unlock better powers with those weapons. So if you have a good ranged combat and focus on assault rifles, there's no reason not to pack a backup shotty or pistol or whatever just in case.

So after you've got your main combat weapon chosen, pick a utility skill. By utilities I mean stuff like Biotech (which lets medkits heal you more, and in Dragonfall opens up a surprising number of bonus dialogue options), or Dodge (the ability not to be hit), or Body (which affects your HP). I think any character should probably have a minimum of 3 in Body but if you plan on doing a lot of melee or being in danger it is definitely worth pumping that up to 6 or even higher.

Lastly, as a street sam, you're going to want cyberware, but - and this is frustrating - WAIT. Don't buy the first stuff you see. The game releases progressively better and better cyberware as you progress, so your best bet is to wait till the later-game and stuff as much of that sweet 'ware into you as can fit rather than settle for some bulky, crappy cyberleg that will drop your Essence by a ton and prevent you getting something better later on.

Next, I see you have chosen the path of the Pistol Decker.

This is correct. Congratulations. You have an unerring sense of taste.

Pistoleros are a bit tough in combat at first because the early pistols are kind of plinky and Decking makes everything more tough at first because succeeding at it requires a big investment in points (you need Intelligence and Decking and ESP Control). The upside here is massive flexibility. You will never need to worry about bringing a decker along, because you are him, so you can focus on bringing your team's hitters. You will be able to get into every hidden cache of items and money and take every shortcut so the overall game will be easier (and this effect of course snowballs over time as the accrued bonus shit you find makes you more and more capable relative to the gameworld). It's also nice because Pistols specialize in powerful trick shots that don't use up all your actions - again, flexibility. The AR guy has to stand in the open and unload but you can snap off three shots at three different dudes and then move to cover all in the same round.

There seem to be three big competence thresholds: early on, if you have something (particularly a gun skill) at 4, you're about at the target difficulty. Later, in the mid game, you wnat things around 7. Finally, at the end game, you want your best stats at 9 or 10. So focus on getting your skills to those targets at those points.

I recommend something like

BODY 3
    STRENGTH 1
    QUICKNESS 4
    Ranged Combat 4
    Pistols 4
    INTELLIGENCE 4
    Decking 4
    ESP Control 2
    WILLPOWER 1
    CHARISMA 4

And then as you go, bump up Body to 4, add some points in Dodge (think about having 5 by the endgame), and Biotech or extra Charisma, all while steadily working your skills up. ESP Control never needs to be as high as Decking but having it at least 5 is going to be super useful for you in key missions near the end. IMPORTANT: while ESPs are sold in the "consumable" tab, they are in fact not consumable; when you buy one, you have it forever. If it dies during a mission you lose access to it for that mission but you get it back afterward. Do not hesitate to use them unless you suspect there will be multiple Matrix breaches in the level.

The best Etiquettes in Dragonfall are Corporate and Security, easily. No others come up nearly as often or yield such tangible rewards. Academic is fantastic - it gives ok in-game rewards but is super handy for players who want to dig deeper into the story, as it lets your guy decipher scientific documents etc (you are apparently a genius polymath with it (this is also why the Biotech skill is useful specifically in this game)). Criminal and Shadowrunner are both useful on a couple of important occasions. Gang comes up like once and I am not sure if Socialite ever does.

I think all the leveling up your party member paths are pretty valid but in Dietrich's case I was all about free extra spirits and in Eiger's case I was like YES SNIPER RIFLE PLS

GENERAL TIPS:
    - talk to every NPC after important missions. It does affect the outcome of the late game in small but cool ways.
    - just like a Bioware game, all your companions have side stories (bar Dietrich, whose quest is also part of the main chain). Push them on their backstories. Glory doesn't want to talk to you and the options are kind of misleading and make it seem like if you wait she'll open up - she doesn't. You have to actually push her into talking a bit, but once you start it opens up some of the best content in the game.
    - Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, never make a deal with a dragon
    Also, get the tazer. It's amazing.

This discussion has been closed.