As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SWTOR] A new chapter is out

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    And...Battle Droid Atherna. Yikes. Everything is going acceptably until those two Zakuul Knights pop out, then it goes right to hell. D: And I can't just disable one of them since I'm in combat. Might have to go back to story mode for this one.

edited February 2017
    Finally.

Took out SWTOR Chapter XI - Disavowed's boss: Battle Droid Atherna on Veteran Mode.

Required:
    • me to upgrade my gear to full 228s
    • Top level medpack
    • Top level stim
    • Heroic moment
    • Unity
    • Every single other cooldown I could get my hands on

And I still died to the trash after knocking down that droid because I waited too long to vanish.

SHEESH.

edit: for posterity since my search came up empty.

Basic tactic was to set Jorgan to tank, and just hammer the droid until it bubbled while avoiding standing in stupid. I ignored the trash, since the droid hits hard enough that the incoming damage ends up being about the same between the trash spawns and the damage over time from the droid by the time I was able to get it to bubble up while taking out the trash. Shortly before bubbling I hit Unity and Heroic Moment (in retrospect I could/should have hit Heroic Moment as an opener). I sequenced all of my stuns to take one of the knights out and interspersed that with other Heroic Moment AoE abilities. I also nailed my medpack then. By the time the last Orbital Strike hit, one of them was dead. Jorgan by that time dropped. A few more attacks and the other knight fell and I was down to around 40%. At that point the droid unbubbled and I focus-fired it until it fell. At its time of death I was at 8%. Then the trash finished me off.

Class was a Scrapper Scoundrel (which I'm frankly not great at) at level 70, full presence, level 1 affection with Jorgan.

Orca on
  • HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    I like those Command packs you get after hitting 70, got a good sniper rifle for my main sniper in a recent one yesterday, very pleased

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I got a command rifle that sounds like the rangefinder. Its awesome.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I got a rock.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    That 350% command XP is like whoah. Jumped two levels for doing one chapter on Vet today.

• kowikowi Registered User regular
    I like all the rifles there.

PSN: kowi - WiiU: kowi - XBL: KoWi - twitch.tv/kowi profile.png - "Yes, Kowi is the King of All" - smilie.png Unbreakable Vow
    Trying out Sith Juggernaut and the after doing all the quests I ended up at level 22, which was great, since I plan on now just running through the class story for the unlocks

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Holy crap this XP boost is insane. Popped a XP pot on my agent, looping through all my tagged easy heroics I was able to get from 59 to 62 in 20 minutes.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    Question on armor with effects. Do you need the complete set to get the effects? For some reason there is a ton of Tactical infantry armor tops but no bottoms.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    In general armor sets should list effects you get for having X parts of it.

Like:
    (2) Useful effect
    (4) Powerful effect

Shadowen on
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Question on armor with effects. Do you need the complete set to get the effects? For some reason there is a ton of Tactical infantry armor tops but no bottoms.

For those effects usually it's tied to one particular piece. I don't know which piece it is for Tactical Infantry...

edited February 2017
    Enjoyed the Sith Warrior storyline
    Went with a light-y honor Sith type, but making a Baras kabob in front of the Dark Council, could not pass that up.

Hjorvarthr on
  • StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Some people just have it coming.

• SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Hjorvarthr wrote: »
    Enjoyed the Sith Warrior storyline
    Went with a light-y honor Sith type, but making a Baras kabob in front of the Dark Council, could not pass that up.

I could.
    Actually I did different things on different playthroughs. Exile the first time, kabob the second, I think exile again on the third one, though I might have gone imprisonment. It was a while ago.

Tactical infantry effects are on the helmet and chest. Couldn't think of much else to blow my money on, so I gave it a shot with the energized legs and boots. He looks so awesome, it makes dealing with the terrible dialogue easier.

Getting back into finishing the Fallen Empire chapters and just finished Profit and Plunder, probably my favorite one so far
    Exiled Kaliyo, because I wish my Agent could have done that during the class story, not that I dislike her, but the way I play my Agent, wish Ihad that option after that crap with the Wheezer on Hutta

Profit and Plunder is quite fun. Snappy dialog makes even silly premises go down a lot better.

Orca wrote: »
    Profit and Plunder is quite fun. Snappy dialog makes even silly premises go down a lot better.

at least the Agent is familiar with a heist plan, although this one was a little more tougher to pull off than the Belsavis job

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Hjorvarthr wrote: »
    Getting back into finishing the Fallen Empire chapters and just finished Profit and Plunder, probably my favorite one so far
    Exiled Kaliyo, because I wish my Agent could have done that during the class story, not that I dislike her, but the way I play my Agent, wish Ihad that option after that crap with the Wheezer on Hutta
    I locked myself out of that choice on my own, unfortunately, because I was playing the chapters as they came out and didn't know how it would go down. Made me so mad I recreated the character on a different server, partly to play with another group of friends there but mostly just to do it right.

Finished up Fallen Empire

just
    fuck you Scorpio you dumb droid, let Arcann and Senya go, and Koth was being big whiny baby about it

I'm sure I'll get to have fun with that in Eternal Throne

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    So someone explain to me how this works. I don't care to continue any of my existing characters (even my level 60 Sith Juggy), I just want to play the Fallen Empire content. So I'm going to sub, and then I can create a character (The Outlander or whatever) for that purpose, to start at the Fallen Empire level. Can I then carry that character in to Eternal Throne? Once I get done with Eternal Throne, does he/she just become a regular character on my account that I can continue with?

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    You're essentially skipping all pre-KOTFE content. Everything after that plays like normal, so you can do KOTFE, KOTET, and then grind RNG crates thrill of the hunt after that like any other character, if you choose.

GnomeTank wrote: »
    So someone explain to me how this works. I don't care to continue any of my existing characters (even my level 60 Sith Juggy), I just want to play the Fallen Empire content. So I'm going to sub, and then I can create a character (The Outlander or whatever) for that purpose, to start at the Fallen Empire level. Can I then carry that character in to Eternal Throne? Once I get done with Eternal Throne, does he/she just become a regular character on my account that I can continue with?

Boosted characters can be boosted to 60 (kotfe) or 65 (kotet).

Boosted characters start with all companions at influence level 1, their ship, some crew skills, baseline armor, and all class and companion quests completed (I think). Once created, boosted characters are like any other, except you can delete them to get your boost token back until you go up a level (I think).

Once you start kotfe, you will lose access to your companions. You will gain access to them again as you complete the new content.

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    There's also the fact that certain assumptions will be made of what your boosted character did or didn't do prior to KotFE.

You also don't get to pick up any of the titles that your class normally acquires through leveling ... which means you don't get to call yourself Darth, Lord, Agent, Master, etc etc.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Hmmm....maybe I'll just use my 60 Juggy. I just didn't want to deal with cleaning out his inventory and all that, but I guess it's not a big issue.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I'd play through the Shadow of Revan stuff if you are going to use a pre-existing character, it sets up a decent chunk of Kotfe, particularly by introducing a handful of new characters that play a role in that story.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • arakis99arakis99 Registered User regular
    Loving both the Bounty Hunter storyline and gameplay that accompanies it.

This is something I made while goofing around and I enjoyed every second of it.

https://youtu.be/W27czzYtC8Y

I am late to the party here, but I have to say, that was awesome.

I think I've figured out why the new content, despite the better production values and (in the case of KOTET) much more varied mechanics bores me: it's more about the other characters than about the Outlander, and the variation in dialog between classes is too small.

Undoubtedly this is a cost-cutting measure, but when running through it with my Scoundrel, 3/4s of the dialog just did not fit the devil-may-care irony I had so enjoyed in the 1-50 content. Most of the focus is on Lana, or Theron, or Valkorian and his family.

Oh well, it's still fun to play dressup.

Man, the trooper commando is sooo much fun to play. As folks here mentioned, the story is pretty bland so far (mostly due to the boring writing), but I'm already level 48 and just finished the 1st chapter. I've been doing heroics left and right just to blow stuff up. Some Pew's over here, some Pew's over there, everyone gets some Pew Pew's!!! It's too bad the best sounding cannon is either tied to the worst looking one or one that is dropped randomly by a world boss.

I got a walker mount from a flashpoint boss today and it is my new favorite thing

Which walker? There are some rad looking ones.

The KX-7 Command Walker

edited February 2017
    Yeah, that one is badass. I paid way too much money for one on the GTN because I HAD to have it.

Orca on
    Observation: When playing a neutral-to-dark Smuggler, one should pretty much always have Dennis Leary's "Asshole" in the background.
    The frequent "Shut up, Corso"s (and elaborations thereof) slot right in.

Has anyone done a dark side Jedi Knight? Is it like the Sith Warrior where it's mostly just killing folks?

• VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    I started one but didn't get too far with it. The stuff I remember picking was mostly just being totally heartless with Republic troops and sending them out on suicide missions.

steam_sig.png
    edited February 2017
    5.1.2 will be applied this week during Patch Tuesday.

Among other things, the unassembled component drop rates are increasing from many sources: http://dulfy.net/2017/02/24/swtor-updated-unassembled-component-rates-5-1-2/

Looks like there'll be a new Cartel Market pack to go with it: http://dulfy.net/2017/02/25/swtor-upcoming-cm-items-from-patch-5-1-2/

We'll also be able to buy an item to turn off the bonus XP during the event, if you so choose (note, that still leaves you with effectively 6x XP base).

CXP amounts are also increasing, so the grind should be less...until they up the gear again (personally, I still haven't bothered since the raid group broke apart).

Orca on
    edited February 2017
    LOTS of fixes in the final patch notes:

5.2.2 patch notes:
    General
    • An item to turn off event experience gains can now be purchased off the vendor located next to the Skill Mentor in the combat training district of the Republic and Imperial fleets. This buff lasts for a duration of 8 hours and can be removed by right clicking the buff icon.
    • Classes that use Lightsabers or Dualsabers are now able to use the Missile Blast ability when morphed during the Trench Runner Uprising.
    • Players who are below level 70 can no longer use a Command Experience Boost when bolstered to Level 70.
    • Galactic Starfighter Requisition is now rewarding at a 250% rate.
    • The size of the purple background behind the player indicator on the map has been reduced in size. Additionally, other players are no longer hidden behind the background.
    • The Achievement for completing Knights of the Fallen Empire Chapter IX in Master Mode now grants as expected.
    • The Dark vs. Light Armor Set no longer bolsters to higher than intended stats in Warzones.
    • Players who leave a Group Finder group after completing a Veteran Mode Uprising are no longer locked out of the Group Finder.
    • Free-to-Play chat restrictions have been adjusted in order to help address third-party service advertisement spam.
    • Opponent area of effect indicators no longer appear as green in Warzones.
    • Fixed an issue in the Trench Runner Uprising that allowed General Amos Rike to be defeated multiple times.
    • It is no longer possible to remove a Command Experience Boost by right-clicking the buff icon.
    • The Wings of the Architect vehicle now has a corresponding Decoration.
    • The Tier 1 Bounty Hunter offhand weapon now requires an Unassembled Offhand Token as intended.
    • Command Experience Boosts purchased from the Fleet vendors can no longer be purchased before Level 70.
    • It is now possible to use chairs on the bridge of Player ships once again.
    • The sound effect that plays when selecting a Planetary Mission from the Galactic Command interface no longer persists after area transition.
    • A Groove Sensor repairman has been dispatched to address a malfunctioning Droid at the Alliance Base.

Flashpoints + Operations
    • Operations now provide significantly increased Command Experience Points.
    • Increased Command Experience earned from boss and mini-boss encounters.
    • Total command experience earned for a full clear has been adjusted on a per-Operation basis.
    • Weekly Missions have also had their Command Experience increased.
    • Flashpoint and Uprising Weekly Mission's Command Point gain have been increased significantly.
    • All Flashpoint Mission Command Experience rewards have been increased.
    • The Modified Turbolasers in the Assembler encounter in the Directive 7 Flashpoint no longer grant Command Experience.
    • Story Mode Flashpoints are no longer listed in the Group Finder.
    • Fixed a number of Achievements for Master Mode Red Reaper.
    • The “Rain of Pain” ability used by B0-55 in The Ravagers Operation no longer grants Command Experience.

Missions + NPCs
    • Removed obsolete Commendation rewards from a small number of Missions.

Warzones
    • Ranked and Unranked Daily and Weekly Missions now award a fixed number of Unassembled components for completion.
    • Increased the amount of Unassembled Components earned for a win or loss during Ranked and Unranked Warzones.
    • The Medal tooltip in Unranked Warzones no longer mentions Season Commendations.

Highlight: F2P players getting screwed to reduce credit spam! I guess I'm okay with this.

Orca on