As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] POST IN THE NEW THREAD!

• Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    Having a ton of fun with the Arkham Horror LCG, and I'm finding it surprisingly replayable. My girlfriend and I died horribly on the last mission of the core campaign on normal; then my gamer friends and I died horribly throughout the whole core campaign on Hard; now we're going through the core campaign with both side missions, using super minmaxed characters and decks on normal and I think we're still going to die horribly in the end. Authentic experience! :)

• Options
    WatcherWatcher Registered User regular
    I am still learning that Arkham Horror LCG, but I think it's a blast. And, this is my introduction to the Cthulu stuff. Fun. I've not tried anything other than the lists for the premade decks/characters, but, I have ended up mentally broken more often than splattered on the scenery.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I bought the Arkham Investigators art book. Playmat and new investigator and some nice prints I'll never hang included. Book is shiny and expensive looking, as well it might be.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    We played it once and I gave it away. Too fiddly and no fun once you know the stories.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    New investigator?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Marie Lambeau. She'll be released in a future pack, but her and her unique cards are included in the package along with the mat, prints and book.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Marie Lambeau. She'll be released in a future pack, but her and her unique cards are included in the package along with the mat, prints and book.

Oh sweet. I thought it might be, like, a 100% new character that was compatible across all the Arkham games. Though I think she's already in most of the games...

With the Netrunner art book, the mat and prints were an exclusive pre-order deal. Is this the case with the AH Investigators book, or does every copy come with the mat?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    I dunno. Maybe? I went into the game store last night and the guys hey we've just got this in and unpacks a box and lays out all these shiny things and I got that look on my face like Indy with the idol and I paid him the money and dodged the boulder on the way out. I imagine some game stores pre-ordered a few because they knew they'd be able to sell them on to mugs discerning customers like me.

The mat is normal playmat size, and a picture, not one of those mats with lines on denoting play areas.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    I dunno. Maybe? I went into the game store last night and the guys hey we've just got this in and unpacks a box and lays out all these shiny things and I got that look on my face like Indy with the idol and I paid him the money and dodged the boulder on the way out. I imagine some game stores pre-ordered a few because they knew they'd be able to sell them on to mugs discerning customers like me.

The mat is normal playmat size, and a picture, not one of those mats with lines on denoting play areas.

Yeah. The one that came with the Android pre-order is my 3rd favorite mat.

nad06-promo-spread.png

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Dang, that is some good art.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Hello Boardgaming Thread! I have a couple of disparate requests for you lot:
    1) I have a bunch of Netrunner cards but am awful at building decks for the game. I don't really know why, I've played plenty of CCGs and was fine at it for those. Something about Netrunner just does not click with my deckbuilding part of my brain. Can anyone recommend sources for either general deck construction guidelines or just straight-up deck lists?

2) I've recently realized that while I have a large collection of games with all sorts of player #'s and playtimes, I own very few short games which I actually enjoy. So I'm looking for recommendations for short (like 30-45) games which support a minimum of 4 players, ideally 5 and actually have some depth to them. So not guessing games like Love Letter or press-your-luck games like Zombie Dice. I quite like Machi Koro for this purpose but I've played quite a lot of games of that. And while deckbuilding is a-okay by me, I have and have exhausted my interest in Dominion. A decent, short dice-building game would be cool if that exists (like Quarriors, but with somewhat more meaningful choice).

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    1) I have a bunch of Netrunner cards but am awful at building decks for the game. I don't really know why, I've played plenty of CCGs and was fine at it for those. Something about Netrunner just does not click with my deckbuilding part of my brain. Can anyone recommend sources for either general deck construction guidelines or just straight-up deck lists?

2) I've recently realized that while I have a large collection of games with all sorts of player #'s and playtimes, I own very few short games which I actually enjoy. So I'm looking for recommendations for short (like 30-45) games which support a minimum of 4 players, ideally 5 and actually have some depth to them. So not guessing games like Love Letter or press-your-luck games like Zombie Dice. I quite like Machi Koro for this purpose but I've played quite a lot of games of that. And while deckbuilding is a-okay by me, I have and have exhausted my interest in Dominion. A decent, short dice-building game would be cool if that exists (like Quarriors, but with somewhat more meaningful choice).

#7 wonders is about 40 minutes and plays up to 7.
    Not super heavy also not super light. It's a lot like dominion as it has that multiplayer solitaire vibe.

Dirtmuncher on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    You are probably better off asking for Netrunner deckbuilding tips in the Netrunner thread.

In fact, I think one regular poster (who is also one of the top players in the world) has just posted a deckbuilding guide on netrunners.co.uk. You could do a lot worse than read that. Netrunnerdb is the place to go for decklists. They have a decklist of the week feature that is usually split between weirdo jank decks and good decks, but tournament winning decklists are often posted there and receive lots of upvotes so you can tell them apart from garbage decks.

• Options
    Immediately springs to mind:

Roll for the Galaxy. Quick (45 minutes), 5 players is ideal, lots of flexibility, easier to teach than Race (though still symbol heavy), and LOTS of dice rolling.

Also very, VERY high on my recommended list is Citadels. They have a classic edition, but the new full-bore deluxe version is just so nice.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular

#7 wonders is about 40 minutes and plays up to 7.
    Not super heavy also not super light. It's a lot like dominion as it has that multiplayer solitaire vibe.

I've got 7 Wonders. Sadly a couple members of my group are actively against ever playing it (they don't actually dislike any of the mechanics, they just have something against 7 Wonders in general - I'm not sure why).

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Anyone pick up The Dreamlans expansion for Eldritch Horror?

We still love and play Eldritch, but I think we're done with any expansions that don't really add anything significant. Too much bloat edging up like Arkham Horror.

Does Dreamlands add anything besides another sideboard, investigators, and items? Any interesting mechanics or gameplay improvements?

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Short games: coup, skulls and roses, sushi go

sig.gif
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »

We still love and play Eldritch, but I think we're done with any expansions that don't really add anything significant. Too much bloat edging up like Arkham Horror.

Does Dreamlands add anything besides another sideboard, investigators, and items? Any interesting mechanics or gameplay improvements?

If I remember right it doesn't come up with any new mechanics except for the ones directly involved with the sideboard.

For what it's worth I think Eldritch Horror has done an exceptional job avoiding Arkham Horror's bloat problem, since you never see everything the expansions have added all at once; you're forced to deal with only a small batch of added elements at a time. Unless you count the decks themselves inflating, which if that's something that you care about then yeah, that's as bad as ever.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Got a war game day set up on Saturday, with Wir Sind Das Volk, 13 Days, and Conflict Of Heroes: Awakening The Bear on the docket. Pretty excited to try all of those!

• Options

I haven't gotten it but I've heard nothing good about it. It seems very sparse and what it does add rarely actually comes into play.

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Played my first game of Food Chain Magnate last night. Made a couple key mistakes and ended up a distant third in a 3-player game.

The tech tree nature of the available employees offers an enormous degree of tactical flexibility, even in the midst of a fairly simple and repetitive game loop. It's rather incredible how open the game feels and how many strategies seem viable, given that the only randomness built into the game is in the initial setup of the map tiles.

• Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular

Yeah netrunnerdb.com is what you want for #1. One of thr recommended tips for new players finding themselves with a bunch of cards is to actually pull a successful pre-made deck you think looks fun to play and use that. After a few games with it, you'll have a better understanding of what you may want to change out to be a better fit for you, which will lead to a better understanding of what kind of cards you need to make up a good deck in general.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular

If I remember right it doesn't come up with any new mechanics except for the ones directly involved with the sideboard.

For what it's worth I think Eldritch Horror has done an exceptional job avoiding Arkham Horror's bloat problem, since you never see everything the expansions have added all at once; you're forced to deal with only a small batch of added elements at a time. Unless you count the decks themselves inflating, which if that's something that you care about then yeah, that's as bad as ever.

Well, not brand new mechanics necessarily. I guess more "filling in gaps" like Forsaken Lore did. The base game badly needed all those extra cards FL added, to the point that they really should have been in the game to begin with.

Off the top of my head I can't think of anything really good the other expansions have added. Side boards have always been a big "meh" with us. Out of all the new investigators only the reporter (Rex?) is really interesting (permanently cursed, gets an item that can reroll any skill check once per turn, gains a clue and improvement in place of losing his curse). This is countered by Tony Morgan the bounty hunter being the single worst investigator in the game we always offer a redo when someone draws him.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I learned Skull wrong.

All players have just been immediately laying down their four cards in an order of their choosing and arbitrarily bidding in any order. Which was still a blast.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    I learned Skull wrong.

All players have just been immediately laying down their four cards in an order of their choosing and arbitrarily bidding in any order. Which was still a blast.

Wow. That's... a way of playing that never occurred to me.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    My copy of Mint Works arrived!

9o6l662sbk12.jpg
    349rrd0uz1sd.jpg

Man, this game is charming as fuck. Can't wait to give it a try this weekend.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Game day weekends are so nice. Gonna be picking from these:

- Alhambra
    - Samurai Spirit
    - Jamaica
    - Waterdeep + Expansion
    - The Bloody Inn
    - Elder Sign
    - Politricks

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Woo, the Millennium Blades expansion is in the UK and being shipped any day! I mean sure, still haven't played with half the card sets from the base deck but MORE CARDS.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    On the topic of the Arkham Horror LCG, here's the SUASD review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WA16gyRZyY

I've been less enthusiastic about their reviews of late. I dunno why exactly, but I'm not as interested in watching a solo Quinns or solo Paul review as I was about watching one with both of them in it. The duo Matt/Quinns ones get closest to scratching this particular itch.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Paul and Quinn's chemistry in videos was fantastic, it's true. Their Inis review really reinforced how much I miss them doing videos together. Their solo reviews are okay too but I generally only watch their reviews for entertainment (since I rarely agree with their opinions on games), and there was a noticable drop off there when Paul moved away.

• Options
    Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Mine should be here soon. It is the perfect stocking stuffer! I'm not sure I can sit on it for 10 months before giving it to my wife.

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Short games: coup, skulls and roses, sushi go

Caveat that in my experience coup requires a lot more player buy in to be good. Coup where people don't care does not work. Sushi go is more forgiving of this.

For short games with dice I'll confirm roll for the galaxy, it can be super quick once people pick it up. A little learning curve though.

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    As far as SU&SD reviews go, my two favorites are actually solo ones. Paul's review of Tammany Hall and Quinns' review of Chinatown. But on the whole, I too prefer the ones with both of them. Matt/Quinns makes up for it.
    Makin' an egg for your best friend!

CaptainPeacock on
    Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

[images snipped]

Let us know how it tastes!

• Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    As far as SU&SD reviews go, my two favorites are actually solo ones. Paul's review of Tammany Hall and Quinns' review of Chinatown. But on the whole, I too prefer the ones with both of them. Matt/Quinns makes up for it.
    Makin' an egg for your best friend!

Unlike most folks here, I actually do rely on SU&SD for reviews. I find them to pretty much line up with my taste (much more so than Vasel) while also being entertaining. Yeah, I definitely do prefer Paul/Quinns or Matt/Quinns review pairings, though they're solo reviews are insightful, too. Of the two, though, Paul's solo reviews suffer the most - he tends to get ponderous and go off on tangents.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    I feel the SUSD crew has gotten very good at stating why they feel positively or negatively about a game. The "why" is what's important, not the "recommends" label. I don't enjoy a lot of the thematic stuff Quinns does, for example, so if that's the reason he's gushing about a particular game, I know to temper my expectations accordingly. I'm not sure why so many people seem to equate "I agree with your opinion" with "you are a good reviewer."

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I'm glad I played a few rounds of the Arkham card game because between the SU&SD review and their Let's Play I would have been sold.

Maybe because I'm a noob to LCGs (and board games in general really) but the fact that I can't create any 2 legal decks with one core box really rubs me the wrong way. The starter decks are "fine" if you want to use it as another mechanism to up the difficulty otherwise you can be at a real disadvantage by not having access to more cards.

And as Pink (I think) said. It loses something once you know what to expect.

They did help to "sucker" me into picking up Eldritch Horror although the store's closing down sale was the final push. If I ever get it to the table more than once I'll probably need those small box expansions to flesh out the encounter decks but for now it'll sit in my "to-play" queue.

EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Options
    EvilMonkey wrote: »

Maybe because I'm a noob to LCGs (and board games in general really) but the fact that I can't create any 2 legal decks with one core box really rubs me the wrong way. The starter decks are "fine" if you want to use it as another mechanism to up the difficulty otherwise you can be at a real disadvantage by not having access to more cards.

That's a very common (and deserved in my opinion) complaint.

Sure I can buy another core set but I only need about 1/3 of the second box I'm buying. That's complete horseshit design.

• Options
    Yeah. I am kind of sad they really didn't touch too much on the fact that the LCG is pretty bare in the core box, and is very much expected to be expanded.

Given the scope of L5R, I'm really scared about how thinly spread that box is going to be.

• Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    The expansions for Star Trek: Ascendancy have now been downgraded from their most recent condition of "enroute, expected by the end of February" (originally "will be released at Gen Con 2016") to "not produced at the factory yet."
    how are they so bad at this