As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Torment: Tides of Numenera. Fight, talk, explore fleshy places.

ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
tumblr_static_tumblr_static_torment-logo_zpsqi2azqfz.jpg

Torment is an isometric RPG in the blah blah blah... it's the spiritual successor to Planescape Torment.

Please be excited.

Torment%201_zpsqz27b6bn.jpg
The Numenera tabletop role-playing game and the Torment: Tides of Numenera video game are set a billion years in the future. Civilizations have risen and fallen on Earth. Even though the current inhabitants live at about a Medieval level of technology, the leftover remnants of these advanced societies lie all around them. Some of these are extremely helpful: advanced tools, valuable means of communication and learning, transportation, defenses, and weapons. Others are dangerous: genetically altered monstrosities, flesh-warping radiation, creatures transplanted from distant stars, and clouds of out-of-control nanobots, just to name a few. This setting, called the Ninth World, provides all manner of opportunities and challenges to those that call it home.

Play as a Glaive (fighter), Nano (caster), or Jack (rogue), gather a party, and explore the world around you.

Torment%202_zpsqrkeg9pb.jpg

Visit beautiful vistas as you work your way through the story, through conversation, exploration, and if needed, combat. The devs have been pretty adamant that, should you choose, you can avoid combat through nearly the whole game, and I'm looking forward to seeing if that's true.

Great video that shows off some of the branching story stuff in the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fjo1IyGCJVo&t

Wiki.

Comes out February 28th. I'm super stoked to play. Join me in hype!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Coming to consoles as well.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I backed this! I've been reading the novellas I got with my backer rewards. Just finished the 'Blue' one today, it was quite good.

• Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    I just bought it on steam instead of 'backing' or whatever (it was early access there, and I hate the whole kickstarter thing), do those novellas have much to do with the game, or is it just part of the setting?

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    I played a bit of the beta on the weekend.
    Now I'm really excited!

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I actually just bought the pen and paper RPG books and saw some friends posting on FB about this game. I'm very interested in it myself, despite my history of never actually completing an isometric CRPG. I always start them, get to a point, then give up.

Baldur's Gate. Fallout 1/2. Icewind Dale. Arcanum. All incomplete.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    Astale wrote: »
    I just bought it on steam instead of 'backing' or whatever (it was early access there, and I hate the whole kickstarter thing), do those novellas have much to do with the game, or is it just part of the setting?

Don't know much about the game, so I'm not sure. I bet they're more set dressing.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    I backed it however long ago that was.

Super stoked!

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Still looking forward to whatever Rothfuss' character ends up being.

• Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    Artereis wrote: »
    Still looking forward to whatever Rothfuss' character ends up being.

Spoiler for the name of the character if you want to know who to keep in your party:
    Rhin

I think they're available to recruit in the Beta too if you're playing that and want a sneak-peek.

• Options
    The music in that trailer is a bit too bombastic, but otherwise it's really great.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Is a green blob/flubber still a party member or did I just dream about that?

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    captaink wrote: »
    The music in that trailer is a bit too bombastic, but otherwise it's really great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i38_6oNPE24

Awww yissss.

Don't mind me, just drowning in delicious nostalgia.

I think the main reason I adore BG2 is this song.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Is a green blob/flubber still a party member or did I just dream about that?

Unfortunately it looks like flubber was one of the companions that was cut :(

• Options
    Damn.

I was hoping that was just weird enough that they wouldn't be able to bring themselves to take it out.

• Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    So excited for this game. I loved BG2 and even thought its more like Planescape, I think it will scratch that itch perfectly.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Kickstarted this ages ago and I am really excited it is finally coming out! Didn't buy into the Beta levels or anything. I wanted to wait till it was complete. This is when I wish I had a windows tablet or convertible laptop. This would be a great game to curl up with in the recliner and tap my way to victory.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    I loved Planescape Torment, I liked the Numenera RPG, so the mashup of the two sounds right up my alley. (Un)fortunately, I find myself too swamped in other games to pay attention to this one upon release!

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Really looking forward to seeing if the Numenera universe can outweird the Planescape one.

I kind of doubt it, seems like it's more of a mix of sci fi concepts than outright dimensional/magic weirdness?

Still though, seems really interesting that its pretty much a graveyard of tons of clashing technology and failed civilizations before it. Calling it a post apocalyptic wasteland seems like it would be doing it a disservice.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Really looking forward to seeing if the Numenera universe can outweird the Planescape one.

I kind of doubt it, seems like it's more of a mix of interesting sci fi concepts than outright dimensional/magic weirdness?

Still though, seems really interesting that its pretty much a graveyard of tons of clashing technology and failed civilizations before it. Calling it a post apocalyptic wasteland seems like it would be doing it a disservice.

It appears to be post-post-apocalypse.

• Options

I kind of doubt it, seems like it's more of a mix of interesting sci fi concepts than outright dimensional/magic weirdness?

Think you need atleast six more posts there.

• Options
    edited February 2017

Think you need atleast six more posts there.

I thought about it, but I'm on my phone, and what I wrote is technically true. Post-apocalypse is a thing. This is after that. Sure, like a billion years after, and probably a half-dozen apocalypses, but technically correct is the best kind of correct.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I played a small portion of the beta a while back, and one of my favorite bits was when I was called
    Adahn.

SutibunRi on
  • Options
    SutibunRi wrote: »
    I played a small portion of the beta a while back, and one of my favorite bits was when I was called
    Adahn.

Okay, that's good.

I've been on the fence about this, but if there's a lot more of that kinda thing, I may be on board.