As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Arkham Knight] Asylum and City Remasters are out for PS4+Xbone

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Waves of generic thugs is exactly what the combat engine is built to make work, though. Single targets need gimmicks in order not to become instant pushovers.
    But if this is being made by the same people who did Origins, I'm less concerned about it. Their bosses were better than most of Rocksteady's boss fights (with an honorable exemption for Freeze in City).
    Deathstroke is the best combat boss in the series for me (after Electrocutioner, obviously). Pulling that off with no damage feels like pure Batman.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Yeah, but Deathstroke in Knight is a million times more badass!

Said no one, ever.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    It's kind of amazing the folks behind Origins did amazing boss fights and detective sequences but whiffed, well, everything else.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I don't think the Origins people botched anything the main series hadn't already botched by taking it open world.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    Well, the fact that the Origins world was unnecessarily gigantic and barren compared to the Rocksteady stuff.

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    The combat in Origin was a bit buggier than the Rocksteady games. Their predator rooms weren't as good, though not nearly as bad as Arkham Knight.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Well, the fact that the Origins world was unnecessarily gigantic and barren compared to the Rocksteady stuff.
    You mean like how people were complaining that they had never gotten to explore Gotham City in the first two games, and how Arkham City was too cluttered with riddle trophies every five feet?

klemming wrote: »
    You mean like how people were complaining that they had never gotten to explore Gotham City in the first two games, and how Arkham City was too cluttered with riddle trophies every five feet?

Nah, I LOVED that. Loads of stuff to do and find everywhere. Large expanses with nothing to do does nothing for me.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    What bothered me in Origins were the one or two buildings that you just couldn't fly over for engine reasons. The vast amount of snowy rooftops to brood on and alleyways with muggers in to ambush were great.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    It's kind of amazing the folks behind Origins did amazing boss fights and detective sequences but whiffed, well, everything else.

They also told a better story. Origins story blew away any of the Rocksteady games stories. It was just very well told.

Also yes, the Deathstroke fight was amazing, even if you could cheese it with the grapple.

Arkham Knight turning Deathstroke into a tank fight was one of the most gut punching disappointing things I've ever experienced in gaming. I would have been ok if they just pasted the Origins fight to the new game, that would have been preferable to what they did.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Batman: Arkham Beyond would make for an amazing follow-up to Knight.

Joker's dead, Batman has long since retired since going too far and utilizing the Scarecrow toxin to terrify criminals which resulted in many deaths from toxin induced heart attacks. He meets the young kid Terry and then begins a new era for Batman.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

They also told a better story. Origins story blew away any of the Rocksteady games stories. It was just very well told.

Also yes, the Deathstroke fight was amazing, even if you could cheese it with the grapple.

Arkham Knight turning Deathstroke into a tank fight was one of the most gut punching disappointing things I've ever experienced in gaming. I would have been ok if they just pasted the Origins fight to the new game, that would have been preferable to what they did.

"What has happened to you, Batman? Fighting like a coward in that tank. Just wait until we meet on the battlefield again!"

*Shows up to the battle in a giant-ass tank*

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    Recently played through these games again. This remains my favorite series, and each game manages to stand out from the pack in some way. Like, I wouldn't feel comfortable telling people to skip any of them. Or at least, I would recommend each of them for distinct reasons. Asylum was the purest and most focused. City had the tightest gameplay. Origins offered the best plot and understanding of the characters. Knight was the biggest and most fully featured.

I've got a new appreciation of the Batmobile segments after a couple of years too. If City was Asylum dialed up to 11, then it would have been real easy for Rocksteady to dial it up to 12 for Knight and call it a day. And the combat/predator sequences certainly do that (or at least try to, depending on your feelings on the changes to both systems). Adding the Batmobile and featuring it as heavily as they did was a risk that they didn't need to take, but I applaud them for making something fresh instead of just iterating what they already had. To be fair, I liked the Battank stuff, I just didn't think it felt as "essential Batman" as the combat and predator sequences. But I look at years of AssCreed games and I'm really happy that Rocksteady didn't just pump these games out, and WB didn't force the issue.

One point about the plot of Knight. I don't know if I need to spoiler tag a post about a game this old, but...
    Anybody who has a tangential knowledge of the Batman lore, or anybody who played up to the sequence at Panessa studios, could see the Jason Todd reveal coming a mile away. But upon playing it again it occurred to me that Batman knew on some level that it was Jason. His Joker visions are so true to the real Joker because he knows him better than anybody, but they're not actually Joker. I think him seeing the scenes of Joker torturing Jason are supposed to be his subconscious trying to tell him that the Arkham Knight is Jason Todd. He just really doesn't want to believe that. And that's why the world's greatest detective can't figure out what the audience already knows.

The Red Hood DLC threw me off, so I remained unsure until Panessa Studios.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Anyone hearing these rumors about Superman game from Rocksteady being revealed in Game Informer soon?

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    It's based on a completely non-vetted 4chan rumor

It would be nice but if we took rumors about Rocksteady without much salt we'd all be playing their Superman and TMNT games by now

It's based on a completely non-vetted 4chan rumor

It would be nice but if we took rumors about Rocksteady without much salt we'd all be playing their Superman and TMNT games by now

I mean, not like we'll wait long to see if it's true. Just thought the timing makes sense after what, 2 years out from Arkham Knight?

• Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    To be entirely fair, first news of bloodborne filtered out of 4chan, too. That's about as much credit as I'm willing to give this rumour, though. Are there any accompanying screenshots, or does this look more like "my uncle's buddy works at Rocksteady"?

jnij103vqi2i.png
    https://nowloading.co/p/new-arkham-superman-game/4267225
    Nothing concrete but a lot of signs point to it

• LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Man, if it's true, they'd almost have to be using a new engine. Superman doesn't really deal with mooks so much as completely own them.

QPPHj1J.jpg
    edited November 2017
    Man, if it's true, they'd almost have to be using a new engine. Superman doesn't really deal with mooks so much as completely own them.

I'm guessing it'll be a more Bayonetta style beat-em-up with robots and aliens for baddies. Some of the scrapped concept art from other Supes games have Brainiac as the bad guy.

Local H Jay on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I'd be down for some Superman game in the vein of Bayonetta or even the Batman games.

This is an oddly specific cake for Rocksteady to send to NRS after they released Injustice 2.

https://www.cbr.com/superman-rocksteady-rumor-debunked/

The rumor ended up being bogus, as expected

Dang, I kept my hopes low but Superman needs a good game goshdurnit

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Could be going for more of a team game? Take the Arkham Batman and transplant him into a Justice League game with the same aesthetics? I mean, they wouldn't be lying by saying it's not a Superman game, but it might still feature him.

-Loki- on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    A Superman game isn't impossible, but there are so many hurdles you have to jump, it would take an extraordinary team to put out even a halfway decent game. Plus you'd need a publisher willing to let them suss out all the kinks and flaws. And I have zero faith in WB being that kind of publisher.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Not surprised, really just disappointed.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Bumping this from deep sleep for a quick question.

Is the DLC worth picking up? The base game is $7 and the game + dlc is $16. Is it worth paying twice as much for the dlc?

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
    I would say it's worth it

Just be prepared for the hot garbage that is the final fight of the Catwoman DLC

Ok, for the same price I could get Return to Arkham.

Hmm....

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Assuming it's cheaper to get the season pass over buying the story dlc separately, then... sure. They were ok.

The mass majority of the bulk that is AK's DLC though are costumes for Batman and the batmobile, combat/predator maps, and races. You'll probably never touch any of the costumes, so the rest depend on how much you like those things. Combat maps are ok. Races... will depend on what side of the line you fall on regarding the batmobile, but even then the races are just "eh".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    The races were the best fan service in the game imo. Many of the different Batman versions got a race course. I didn't even medal them, just enjoyed the presentation and moved on.

• President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    Personally, I thought the Batgirl DLC and the extra villain missions were all excellent.

• mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    Personally, I thought the Batgirl DLC and the extra villain missions were all excellent.

I mean I have 156 hours in and only 3 achievements left before 100%, so yeah I'd say the Batgirl DLC was fun. But Harley, Catwoman, Red Hood, Robin, Nightwing, all painfully short and meaningless. The only one you'll play twice is Batgirl because you might miss out on some achievements, but I see no reason to replay any of the DLC characters. The races are super fun if you have any affection for the movie Batmobiles and enjoy racing in it.

I think the game feels gives you more replayability with the DLC in terms of challenge maps and achievements, and at 16 dollars, you can't really go wrong with it. I doubt you'll get it for much cheaper.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
    edited December 2017
    Man I would kill for a game about Nightwing or Robin, I think that would be easy money to just use the AK engine and make like a 40$ game about Nightwing in Blühaven. Oh or maybe a game about the Titans?

Local H Jay on
    Is Return to Arkham worth getting?
    I've already got the PC versions, and the last I heard about Return was when it was getting delayed for looking like hot garbage. Is there anything they added to it that I won't have seen?

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    The end of the League of Assassins DLC mission has a genuinely difficult moral question. I had to put the controller down and think for a minute before I could decide.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I've already got the PC versions, and the last I heard about Return was when it was getting delayed for looking like hot garbage. Is there anything they added to it that I won't have seen?

If you already have them on PC and don't see yourself transitioning off of PC as a gaming platform, then nah, not really. The PC versions still have all the nifty PhysX stuff that these don't. They just got prettied up a bit.

Ceno wrote: »

If you already have them on PC and don't see yourself transitioning off of PC as a gaming platform, then nah, not really. The PC versions still have all the nifty PhysX stuff that these don't. They just got prettied up a bit.

Don't forget 60fps, which makes a big difference for the combat.

Sadly I've gone full console peasant.