As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Non-Russia related Corruption/Grift/Ethics Violations in the [Trump] Administration

So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
edited February 2017 in Debate and/or Discourse
Let's start with the most obvious and recent example.

Kellyanne Conway, counselor to the President and queen of "alternate facts," was on TV talking about the Nordstrom decision to drop Ivanka's clothing line from their stores. She decided part of her comments would include directly shilling for the brand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sb08WTuGtM
(Most relevant comments begin at 1:20 or so, "free commercial" comment right at end)

Shockingly, Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah), who is the head of the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, has submitted a letter to the Office on Government Ethics asking that she be disciplined for her comments.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/318820-chaffetz-cummings-call-on-ethics-office-to-hand-down-disciplinary

Trump himself took to Twitter to lash out at Nordstrom for dropping his daughter's line.

Story: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/2017/02/08/trump-lashes-out-at-nordstrom-in-a-tweet-for-dropping-his-daughters-apparel-line/
Richard Painter, a former chief White House ethics counsel under George W. Bush, called President Trump’s tweet about Nordstrom a “misuse of public office for private gains.”

“I have never seen a senior administration official lash out at a particular company based upon a strictly personal grudge,” Painter said in an e-mail. Painter is a professor of corporate law at the University of Minnesota and is part of a team that has filed a lawsuit alleging that President Trump is violating a constitutional provision known as the emoluments clause, which forbids him from accepting gifts or payments from foreign governments.

WH Press Secretary Sean Spicer stated this week that Conway had been "counseled" about her remarks but would not give further details.

This is one example of the topic of this thread.

Other examples:

This is the thread to discuss these type of stories. (Though serious discussion of Russia topics should go in the Russia thread).

How is the Trump admin grifting our country today?

So It Goes on

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    And here's a recent attempt to shine some light on Trump from a House Member

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2017/02/09/democrat-moves-to-force-house-debate-on-trumps-alleged-business-conflicts-and-russia-ties/
    BALTIMORE — In an escalation of Democratic efforts to highlight questions about President Trump’s potential conflicts of interest and alleged ties to Russia, a senior House Democrat is dusting off a little-used legislative tool to force a committee debate or floor vote on the issue.

Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.) filed a “resolution of inquiry” Thursday, a relatively obscure parliamentary tactic used to force presidents and executive-branch agencies to share records with Congress. Under House practice, such a resolution must be debated and acted upon in committee or else it can be discharged to the House floor for consideration.

Nadler’s resolution asks Attorney General Jeff Sessions to provide “copies of any document, record, memo, correspondence, or other communication of the Department of Justice” that pertains to any “criminal or counterintelligence investigation” into Trump, his White House team or certain campaign associates; any investment made by a foreign power or agent thereof in Trump’s businesses; Trump’s plans to distance himself from his business empire; and any Trump-related examination of federal conflict of interest laws or the emoluments clause of the Constitution.

Nadler, the No. 2-ranking Democrat on the Judiciary Committee, said that his move came after Democrats sent two letters to Judiciary Committee Chairman Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.) and another letter to House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) asking for investigations into Trump’s financial entanglements.

“All of this demands investigation, and of course they’ve refused,” Nadler said Thursday at the House Democrats’ annual policy retreat here. “This resolution will force them to confront the issue.”

• MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Not to nitpick, but at this point I don't think it's correct to describe it as a "failure" on Trumps part to release his taxes. It's an outright refusal to do so.

Conway's follow up to being pressured for her clear violations of ethics law is "my boss doesn't care so whatever"

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/a01e1e1839454491aeef0180b5612733/under-fire-conway-maintains-support-president#
    The president appeared to take issue with his own press secretary's depiction, telling staff that he believed it was unfair to Conway and made it sound like she was in trouble, according to a person with direct knowledge of his comments. A White House spokeswoman said that while Trump didn't see Conway's television comments urging people to buy Ivanka Trump's products, he believed she was "merely sticking up" for his daughter after Nordstrom dropped her brand.v

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Well this thread is going to be really super depressingly long isn't it?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Conway's follow up to being pressured for her clear violations of ethics law is "my boss doesn't care so whatever"

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/a01e1e1839454491aeef0180b5612733/under-fire-conway-maintains-support-president#
    The president appeared to take issue with his own press secretary's depiction, telling staff that he believed it was unfair to Conway and made it sound like she was in trouble, according to a person with direct knowledge of his comments. A White House spokeswoman said that while Trump didn't see Conway's television comments urging people to buy Ivanka Trump's products, he believed she was "merely sticking up" for his daughter after Nordstrom dropped her brand.v

http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/09/news/kellyanne-conway-ivanka-brand/
    "At some point, I hope American women work for a boss that treats them the way President Trump treated me today," Conway said.
    Who among us doesn't want a boss that stands up for you when you violate the law?

Jubal77 wrote: »
    Looks like you forgot the Flynn affair.

Technically preceded the administration proper.

Well unless all those arrested US spies weren't unconnected.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Looks like you forgot the Flynn affair.

Technically preceded the administration proper.

Well unless all those arrested US spies weren't unconnected.

Ahh fair enough.

Yeah I can't keep up! Ha

• LabelLabel Registered User regular
    I wish the best of luck to those trying to hold this administration accountable on corruption.

• HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I mean, god, what a thread, though. The Ethics violations here are bottomless and they will not budge on any of them. Off the top of my head:
    • Emoluments clause
    • Violating the rule about the DC hotel lease
    • Kellyanne Conway shilling for Ivanka's ugly shoes
    • Not divesting himself of his assets or ownership of the Trump Organization
    • Not releasing his tax returns or allowing a review of any conflicts of interests
    • Pushing through Cabinet nominees with rushed or incomplete ethics reviews
    • not-yet NSA Michael Flynn probably (definitely) discussing the lifting of Russian sanctions with the ambassador prior to inauguration
    • Pence lying about Flynn lying about not talking about the lifting of Russian sanctions with the ambassador prior to inauguration
    • Just, all of it. All of it. *gestures broadly* all of this

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    I really hope Democrats nationwide are working their asses off to get even a slim majority when midterms come. I know it's not a favorable map, but if they get the power to actually hold investigations into this corruption I feel it will be a game changer.

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    The nepotism might be the most damaging long term thing Trump does, assuming everything doesn't just go boom.

He's plainly not divested from his businesses in any interesting way, his family has been given privileged positions of either direct or indirect power in D.C. while retaining full control of their own businesses, his staff are literally shilling his & his families products on television without significant repercussions (and with full support from Trump, who is not exactly an impartial party), his use of his own residences & resorts as accommodation for security staff, diplomats, other foreign leaders, etc, is the most flagrant sort of self-enriching corruption...

Whatever laws exist in the U.S. intended to check this kind of behavior clearly aren't worth the parchment they lay on. Enforcement bodies are either drooling on themselves, laughing their way to the bank or impotently blowing gaskets because they have no actual power to stop it. Someone should have been in a position to straight-up tell Donald Trump that he could not become President Trump without divesting his businesses according to an extremely rigid set of rules; this administration has effectively blazed a trail for future free-for-alls if any other bored tycoon wants to go dick around on Capitol Hill while funneling money to themselves / their children and/or bending the state apparatus for all the free publicity & advertising you like.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    OH MY GOD I DIDN't even include the fucking nepotism

I cannot even keep track of it all

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Oh, man, Chaffetz again

(Re: DC Hotel)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/feds-trump-attorneys-wrangle-over-presidents-dc-hotel-lease/2017/02/10/396a7680-ed4e-11e6-9973-c5efb7ccfb0d_story.html
    The uncertainty of the status of the lease drew the attention this week of a top Republican lawmaker, Rep. Jason Chaffetz (Utah), chairman of the House Oversight Committee, who sent a letter Thursday to the GSA’s acting director inquiring about the agency’s plans.

Chaffetz told reporters this week that he was interested to learn how officials intended to grapple with the potentially awkward situation in which the Trump-led government intended to negotiate with a business controlled by the president’s family.

“His being both the landlord and the tenant is something that we’re curious what the GSA’s opinion of that is,” Chaffetz said.

His blatantly partisan shilling aside, I'm starting to wonder if he might actually give a shit about ethics in government.

Or just sees the value in having leverage on POTUS. Probably that one.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    The Conway thing yesterday is so clearly a huge ethics violation and so neatly circumscribes the problem with not divesting holdings that it actually feels like a plotline from Veep or something.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    Hakke, you left out the Steele dossier and all of Trump's personal treason.

I suppose a list can only be so long before it becomes unwieldy, though...

OptimusZed wrote: »
    The Conway thing yesterday is so clearly a huge ethics violation and so neatly circumscribes the problem with not divesting holdings that it actually feels like a plotline from Veep or something.

If you told me that would happen within the first month in November I would have insisted that you were being absurd.

*sigh*

For those halcyon days of ignorance.

Oh, man, Chaffetz again

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/feds-trump-attorneys-wrangle-over-presidents-dc-hotel-lease/2017/02/10/396a7680-ed4e-11e6-9973-c5efb7ccfb0d_story.html
    The uncertainty of the status of the lease drew the attention this week of a top Republican lawmaker, Rep. Jason Chaffetz (Utah), chairman of the House Oversight Committee, who sent a letter Thursday to the GSA’s acting director inquiring about the agency’s plans.

Chaffetz told reporters this week that he was interested to learn how officials intended to grapple with the potentially awkward situation in which the Trump-led government intended to negotiate with a business controlled by the president’s family.

“His being both the landlord and the tenant is something that we’re curious what the GSA’s opinion of that is,” Chaffetz said.

His blatantly partisan shilling aside, I'm starting to wonder if he might actually give a shit about ethics in government.

Why isn't he just investigating it

Like, what do you mean, "Lol GSA tell me how you plan to thread this needle pls"? Are you signalling an investigation or are you just going to pantomime effective Oversight, like when you investigated Benghazi a hundred thousand times?

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    The really frustrating thing is that just like Bush Jr's shenanigans, even when (if) we do ever get back in power, there's not much we can do about their current bullshit without coming off as the vindictive purgers of the opposition. The only hope is to set down some truly independent ethical checks and punishments, not this 'bipartisan' bullshit which is some of the most plainly partisan garbage around.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Oh, man, Chaffetz again

Like, what do you mean, "Lol GSA tell me how you plan to thread this needle pls"? Are you signalling an investigation or are you just going to pantomime effective Oversight, like when you investigated Benghazi a hundred thousand times?

I (charitably) took that as passive aggressively covering his ass. Like "Huh, this sure seems weird. I mean, people are saying it's weird, I'm not sure. Do you think it's weird, The GSA? "

Then if they issue a finding of "Yes, it's 'weird'. Also blatantly unethical," he can claim he's obligated to follow through as he shrugs and scratches his head; if that is his intent.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Would this be the place to talk about the US investigators corroborating with some of the aspects of the Russia dossier (the pee pee dossier)?

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Russia thread, I believe.

I'd argue the corruption is so deep in runs through every aspect. Hundred million dollar political donations are a problem whether they're from a US citizen or not.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Oh, man, Chaffetz again

You don't "have something on" a person anymore once you've publicly announced that it's a thing you will act on.

I think he's serious.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Oh, man, Chaffetz again

NPR had a good report on this. The govt has no good angle in this except to terminate the contract with Trump and see who gets fired.

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    I thought we weren't supposed to have a general Trump administration thread.

broken image link
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Oh, man, Chaffetz again

You don't "have something on" a person anymore once you've publicly announced that it's a thing you will act on.

I think he's serious.

Actually, James Comey demonstrated that you don't have to have something on someone to publicly announce you will act on something.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Oh, man, Chaffetz again

I think he's serious.

Maybe he's starting to take his constituents seriously.

Might be realizing that if he doesn't do something then they'll vote him out.

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Force Majeure is a standard part of most contracts. Trump currently has the power to actually cause Force Majeure events to get out of contracts.

Do you think he'll realize that eventually?

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Oh, man, Chaffetz again

I think he's serious.

I'm not sure about that. I mean racketeering is basically that exact thing.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    Someone should have been in a position to straight-up tell Donald Trump that he could not become President Trump without divesting his businesses according to an extremely rigid set of rules;
    Someone was in a position to do this. Someone who stood up and said "he does not plan to let the Trump campaign take over the party apparatus if he captures the nomination.". Someone who had the power and responsibility to do so.

But being named Chief of Staff was apparently enough of a payoff to stop that from happening. Even if his role does seem to have been mostly subverted by Bannon and Kushner.

Sorry, Reince. Your chance to steer the bus was BEFORE it drove off the cliff.

• HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    moniker wrote: »
    Force Majeure is a standard part of most contracts. Trump currently has the power to actually cause Force Majeure events to get out of contracts.

Do you think he'll realize that eventually?

e: nah, humor is dumb. NVM.

Handgimp on
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    This thread is really an exercise in frustration (for ourselves) until and unless the Dems retake the House. Then i imagine there will be a blizzard of complaints and probably a raft of impeachment articles (not that you'll ever get enough Senators to convict, but it will be enough).

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Don't forget that Trump is still receiving a paycheck for "executive producing" Celebrity Apprentice. He officially gets paid by MGM, but the program airs Monday nights on NBC network and reairs Saturday nights on CNBC, so the financial ties between the Trump administration and the media organizations covering him are not that far removed. But not to worry, Donald has a plan for separation:

Oh, and don't forget Breitbart-Bannon!

• ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular

unfortunately money has been free speech for quite a few years here

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • kowikowi Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    This thread is really an exercise in frustration (for ourselves) until and unless the Dems retake the House. Then i imagine there will be a blizzard of complaints and probably a raft of impeachment articles (not that you'll ever get enough Senators to convict, but it will be enough).

I hope that happens soon.

PSN: kowi - WiiU: kowi - XBL: KoWi - twitch.tv/kowi profile.png - "Yes, Kowi is the King of All" - smilie.png Unbreakable Vow
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    The really frustrating thing is that just like Bush Jr's shenanigans, even when (if) we do ever get back in power, there's not much we can do about their current bullshit without coming off as the vindictive purgers of the opposition. The only hope is to set down some truly independent ethical checks and punishments, not this 'bipartisan' bullshit which is some of the most plainly partisan garbage around.

Fuck that, that never works out for Democrats and they never hold themselves to those standards. We lose nothing by doing this, and unlike them the Dems are ethically right. Trump is the outcome for not going after W.

Harry Dresden on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »

Fuck that, that never works out for Democrats and they never hold themselves to those standards. We lose nothing by doing this, and unlike them the Dems are ethically right. Trump is the outcome for not going after W.

Well if we retake the house in 18 (we're almost assuredly making even bigger losses in the senate), at least they could get a start on making grandstanding legislation. Like Paul Ryan's endless bills to kill the ACA. Or Issa's witch hunts.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.