As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] POST IN THE NEW THREAD!

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    JonBob wrote: »
    I feel the SUSD crew has gotten very good at stating why they feel positively or negatively about a game. The "why" is what's important, not the "recommends" label. I don't enjoy a lot of the thematic stuff Quinns does, for example, so if that's the reason he's gushing about a particular game, I know to temper my expectations accordingly. I'm not sure why so many people seem to equate "I agree with your opinion" with "you are a good reviewer."

I generally find their reviews lacking specifically in the area of justifying their praise or criticism of games. At the end of many of their reviews I have a hard time telling from their review whether I think I would actually like the game in question.

• Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Yeah. I am kind of sad they really didn't touch too much on the fact that the LCG is pretty bare in the core box, and is very much expected to be expanded.

Given the scope of L5R, I'm really scared about how thinly spread that box is going to be.

I expect L5R's core to be restricted to the pre-Scorpion Clan Coup, since they are also rolling back the fiction to this point. I expect we'll see Lion, Crane, Phoenix, Dragon, and Crab in the core set. Maybe they include the Scorpion, too. No Mantis, Unicorn, or Spider clans will be included in the core. We'll probably see a few splashable Shadowlands cards.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Yeah. I am kind of sad they really didn't touch too much on the fact that the LCG is pretty bare in the core box, and is very much expected to be expanded.

Given the scope of L5R, I'm really scared about how thinly spread that box is going to be.

Handle it like GoT and just pick a few and focus on them? Then release the others later?

I hope they handle it well, because I'm currently open to buying into L5R from the start, unless they really muck it up and it's too expensive to begin with to get a few capable decks.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    L5R is particularly worrisome to me, since I'm probably going to go all in on it regardless of quality.

I physically vibrate a little bit every time I think about FFG doing the RPG.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    antherem wrote: »
    The expansions for Star Trek: Ascendancy have now been downgraded from their most recent condition of "enroute, expected by the end of February" (originally "will be released at Gen Con 2016") to "not produced at the factory yet."
    how are they so bad at this

holy crap

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

I've got a theory that either it'll be a lot easier mechanics-wise to splash out-of-faction personalities (maybe the AGOT Banner system?), or it might end up being split into two core boxes. I could see a split between Military and Political/Spiritual factions, so a box with Crab, Lion, Mantis, and Unicorn, and a second box with Phoenix, Crane, Scorpion, and Dragon. And then a Shadowlands Deluxe expansion early-on, for the terrible people.

Although everything is basically hearsay other than "It's coming GenCon '17," since they've said nothing else-wise.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Short games: coup, skulls and roses, sushi go

Caveat that in my experience coup requires a lot more player buy in to be good. Coup where people don't care does not work. Sushi go is more forgiving of this.

For short games with dice I'll confirm roll for the galaxy, it can be super quick once people pick it up. A little learning curve though.
    If you play with the expansion rules for Coup that have teams and team-switching, it becomes a MUCH better game for new people. Sure, it's one more rule to teach, but the concept of having a team allows people to be less overwhelmed at choosing targets for assassination, and the ability to switch teams allows you a strategic choice to take you out of threat range for a turn from the biggest threat on the board. It's pretty intuitive, from what I've seen. I think it's from the Coup: Inquisition box?

I also tell new players "Always bluff the Duke on your first turn. Always." the get them in the habit of bluffing.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    We're trying Gloomhaven tonight with some house rules. I'll open the box then just start chucking components at the players. If anyone gets hit, they lose.

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I feel the SUSD crew has gotten very good at stating why they feel positively or negatively about a game. The "why" is what's important, not the "recommends" label. I don't enjoy a lot of the thematic stuff Quinns does, for example, so if that's the reason he's gushing about a particular game, I know to temper my expectations accordingly. I'm not sure why so many people seem to equate "I agree with your opinion" with "you are a good reviewer."

I think here "good reviewer" end up meaning "I can easily equate this reviewer's work to whether I will enjoy the game in question" instead of "this reviewer writes and justifies his opinion well."

camo_sig2.png
    jclast wrote: »

I think here "good reviewer" end up meaning "I can easily equate this reviewer's work to whether I will enjoy the game in question" instead of "this reviewer writes and justifies his opinion well."

I have to say SUSD rarely if ever justified their opinions well for me. Some of the reasons they gave for disliking games were just ridiculous.

edited February 2017
    Magic Pink wrote: »

I have to say SUSD rarely if ever justified their opinions well for me. Some of the reasons they gave for disliking games were just ridiculous.

Something something pot meets kettle?

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I will personally go to Minnesota and protest if the Unicorn aren't in the core box...

But.. yeah. I've heard some heresay second hand about a playtest group that I won't spread here. That's basically it. I haven't even heard anything about how they'll treat the fiction.

L5R is my 2nd favorite RPG (below Shadowrun above Fading Suns), so I've been basically frothing with desire since the initial announcement, as everyone I know from FFG is awesome.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

The Game of Thrones 2E core set was eight factions + neutrals, so I wouldn't be surprised if they do that again.

I would also anticipate you'll need to buy three copies of the core set to get everything you need, but you'll have a lot less extras.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    admanb wrote: »

The Game of Thrones 2E core set was eight factions + neutrals, so I wouldn't be surprised if they do that again.

I would also anticipate you'll need to buy three copies of the core set to get everything you need, but you'll have a lot less extras.

As an owner of...
    um..

3 cores of Netrunner,
    4 cores of SWLCG,
    3 cores of 40K: Conquest,
    2 cores of Arkham Horror LCG
    4 cores of X-wing (2xclassic 2xTFA)

I am probably going to own 1-2x complete copies of the L5R RPG... doesn't mean I'll be happy about it. :P

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    2 cores Netrunner, 3 cores Conquest (minus all the decks that got stolen from my car) 3 cores GoT 2E, and 2 cores X-Wing here.

I was actually less pissed at GoT than I was at Conquest, because while three copies of both were basically mandatory, with Conquest I ended up with fat stacks of extra garbage* while GoT was 1/2 to 1/3 as many.

*particularly all the extra Warlord cards; christ.

PMAvers wrote: »

I'm not trying to sell myself as a professional reviewer. But when you say that gameplay gets in the way of the game you are in Insanity Town,

I'm not trying to sell myself as a professional reviewer. But when you say that gameplay gets in the way of the game you are in Insanity Town,

I don't recall them ever making this statement, however I also don't recognize it as objectively wrong. I can think of plenty games where extraneous mechanics got in the way of the fun. You may find the phrasing odd but the intent of the statement is not incorrect.

Mikey CTS wrote: »

I don't recall them ever making this statement, however I also don't recognize it as objectively wrong. I can think of plenty games where extraneous mechanics got in the way of the fun. You may find the phrasing odd but the intent of the statement is not incorrect.

I seriously don't remember the review he said it in but it didn't parse at all for me. Basically the game let you achieve cool things but you had to PLAY the game to do them and that was literally his complaint but that was the game. And he didn't dislike the gameplay either.

I seriously don't remember the review he said it in but it didn't parse at all for me. Basically the game let you achieve cool things but you had to PLAY the game to do them and that was literally his complaint but that was the game. And he didn't dislike the gameplay either.

I can't ever remember Quinns being that utterly incoherent. Can you tell me which game it was? I'll watch it myself.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

Perhaps you misunderstood?

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Hey guys, can the people who own arkham horror answer a few questions on it?

I really like the idea of it, but I haven't really ever gotten into collectable deck building games before. So my major questions would be.

How much "game" is in the core set? Since it is a campaign, is it replayable? How much deck building is available in the core set.

How do the expansions work? If we bought one expansion, do you share it with your group? Do you get more scenarios with each expansion?

Basically I am digging the core mechanics but I'm not exactly clear what precisely the buy in costs and replayability lengths are and the SUSD didn't really cover this.

The core box includes a campaign with 3 scenarios which will play out slightly differently based on your actions in each scenario. I haven't gotten to play more than the intro, so I can't speak to how different. They do seem pretty replayable, though.

The core box includes 1 of each faction card and 2 of most of the common/neutral cards. Deckbuilding limit says you can't put more than 2 cards with a given name in your deck. So a second core adds the ability to increase your chances of pulling a given card, but you can deckbuild with just the base box easily enough.

LCGs work with expansions that give you a "Complete playset" for the cards. So each expansion will have the maximum allowable count of cards. For instance, Dunwich Legacy includes 2 copies of each of its investigator cards, and 1 copy each of each of its encounter and mythos cards (well, by set number - there can be duplicates if multiple are included in a set).

You can share your pack with a group, but it could get tight. Like.. I'm assuming I can give cards for 2 players. As more packs come out, this will get better as there will be more room.

Each expansion adds a scenario to the campaign. The Dunwich Legacy (deluxe box) contains the campaign log and the first 2 scenarios. Then the 6 mythos packs that follow will include the scenarios needed to complete the 8-scenario campaign. So essentially the pricing is $15 per scenario, but you'll get investigator cards with them... Except the print on demand scenarios, which are special.

Oh nice, L99 announced their new game today, Empyreal: Spells & Steam, which looks to be a rail-building game.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    What are the print on demand scenarios?

• LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

Basically one off missions that can be played either as a side mission or as a standalone, but don't have player cards in them.

If you're going to get into Arkham LCG with 2 players, you're basically going to want 2 copies of the core set and 1 copy of every expansion after. The big expansions will contain two scenarios and the card packs will contain one scenario; there will be 6 packs for every big box, meaning a full campaign will be 8 scenarios, take about 6 months to come out, and cost around $100 USD (if you buy online, more at a FLGS). Each expansion or pack will also contain a full playset of several player cards, meaning that you probably won't ever need multiple copies of anything but the core set.

I've enjoyed the core set for 3 play throughs, but I doubt too many people will get more than that out of it. So you are talking about the cost of a full board game for something that is minimally replayable.

That all said, I'm having a blast with it.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Is there some limit to the deck building? They mentioned levelling up and purchasing new cards in the review, how does that work?

MhCw7nZ.gif
    Lykouragh wrote: »

Basically one off missions that can be played either as a side mission or as a standalone, but don't have player cards in them.

So, theoretically, we could just play these ones forever.

I mean I don't mind paying money for the game, and investing in it, the thing that is making me cautious is, with say Netrunner. You buy a deck, and you continue to play netrunner because it is a one on one game and you can continue to play one on one forever. I am just worried that this will be similarish to say a legacy game where once you finish you can't really go back.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Well not really. Legacy games are one and done because their gimmick is permanently physically altering things. This is just like any other campaign game. You'll lose the thrill of the unknown on a replay but the gameplay mechanics will all still be there and the random deck based elements will change things up a bit if you go through them again.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Arkham Horror LCG's value/money ratio is off because the scenarios are heavily story based and it loses a lot of replay value. New scenarios are pricey, but compared to, say, Pathfinder LCG a lot more interesting as well.

As more expansions come out there is replay value in building decks to "beat" scenarios on harder difficulties. Also you can play solo which is a big draw for me on co-op games.

You can get by with one core set for two people as long as you don't share card types. I have two cores since I'm supporting 3 players, and I expect to continue to do that with the 1x copy of future purchases. Which is where I find more value in the LCG model, I don't have to encourage buy-in from my friends as my own purchases allow me to put together enough decks for everyone.

Is there some limit to the deck building? They mentioned levelling up and purchasing new cards in the review, how does that work?

Deck building is dictated by your character.

So far, each character released requires a deck of 30 cards. No more, no less. For the core box investigators, these can be level 0-5 of their class, and 0-2 of another class. For Dunwich, they are 0-5 of their class and up to 5 cards of level 0 from any other classes.

When starting a campaign, you only have access to level 0 cards. Cards of a higher level cost XP equal to their level. So after your first scenario you can start putting in level 1 or 2 cards bacharacterr needs. You can also swap in level 0 cards for 1xp too, which is useful with the mythos packs. But again, exactly 30 cards. If you add, you have to remove something. Now, if the new card is a higher rank of the same card in your deck, you only need to pay the difference in their levels.

Once you have built your deck, you add 3 more fixed cards to it. Your character's unique special card, their unique weakness, and a randomly chosen "Basic" weakness from your collection. The weaknesses are cards that.. well.. kneecap you at literally the worst time, I've found. But that is the nature of the game! When the game first came out, people would randomly choose a weakness without looking at it and adding it to their deck, for surprise. Dunwich Legacy adds basic weaknesses with the "Permanent" keyword, which are immediately put into your investigator's play area and stay there.. So I don't know if that can be done anymore.

Finally, scenarios can add or remove cards from your deck based on what happens to you. They can be rewards, or penalties, for your choices. The Curse of the Rougarou standalone, for instance, has some really cool.. effects.

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular

I mean I don't mind paying money for the game, and investing in it, the thing that is making me cautious is, with say Netrunner. You buy a deck, and you continue to play netrunner because it is a one on one game and you can continue to play one on one forever. I am just worried that this will be similarish to say a legacy game where once you finish you can't really go back.

Netrunner was a beautiful game that I loved but eventually wore me out, as we have a good local scene, but to keep playing you needed to keep up with the data packs, so about a 10-15$/month nerd tax. And the game was totally worth it if I had more time to play, but sadly I was only making it out once or twice a month. Arkham seems like it will be a lot better in that you can pick and choose more, and won't have nearly the outside pressure to buy it all.

Netrunner was a beautiful game that I loved but eventually wore me out, as we have a good local scene, but to keep playing you needed to keep up with the data packs, so about a 10-15$/month nerd tax. And the game was totally worth it if I had more time to play, but sadly I was only making it out once or twice a month. Arkham seems like it will be a lot better in that you can pick and choose more, and won't have nearly the outside pressure to buy it all.

I would say the opposite - completing a cycle is pretty much going to be the order of the day. :) That said, being that it isn't competitive, you can do that on your schedule.

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Oh my god we played Samurai Spirit and we went through three villages, all the people died. There was blood everywhere.

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular

I would say the opposite - completing a cycle is pretty much going to be the order of the day. :) That said, being that it isn't competitive, you can do that on your schedule.

The self schedule would be a huge deal for me. It wasn't the value so much as the rate that eventually took me out of netrunner.

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Holy shit, Gloomhaven is hard.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

I read an important thing elsewhere, a reminder that the way the difficulty levels work means that you're going to be the most underpowered at the very start of the campaign. Assuming everyone levels up equally, you don't increase the scenario level until character level 3. In other words, when your characters hit level 2, you'll be fighting the same enemies as before, but you'll have better gear, more health, an improved card, and some perks to even the playing field. The difficulty will tick back up on every odd character level, but you'll still have the advantage of a character built to work with your strategies instead of the blank slate you started with.

Cantide on
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    We're trying Gloomhaven tonight with some house rules. I'll open the box then just start chucking components at the players. If anyone gets hit, they lose.

You need to tell us about the house rule BEFORE you start throwing components at us.

I got hit in the eye by an Orchid Spellweaver, and now I'm half blind. :bigfrown:
    Cantide wrote: »

I read an important thing elsewhere, a reminder that the way the difficulty levels work means that you're going to be the most underpowered at the very start of the campaign. Assuming everyone levels up equally, you don't increase the scenario level until character level 3. In other words, when your characters hit level 2, you'll be fighting the same enemies as before, but you'll have better gear, more health, an improved card, and some perks to even the playing field. The difficulty will tick back up on every odd character level, but you'll still have the advantage of a character built to work with your strategies instead of the blank slate you started with.
    The scope of the game is ridiculous. We only did the first room of the first scenario, but I got 5 XP... I needed 45 XP to make 2nd level. The personal missions are outrageously long-term... It's gonna take multiple full scenarios to get even close to achieving them.

I decided that Gloomhaven is basically a D&D campaign without a dungeon master.

Dracomicron on
  • LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    Arguably the thing that makes the most sense with Arkham LCG is actually forget about it for 6 months and then come back and ask how the first full-length campaign went- if we're all still really excited about it then you'll know it's actually a good game and can go drop your $150 or whatever, and get to play through the whole Dunwich campaign without having to wait months for each pack.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Mintworks arrived! Looks like he used Funagaingames for shipping.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    March/April are going to be interesting times. I'm awaiting Dark Souls and Pixie Queen... and Kingdom Con is right around the corner.

makosig.jpg