As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Congress CXV: Absurdly long special election edition

KetBraKetBra Dressed RidiculouslyRegistered User regular
640px-United_States_Capitol_west_front_edit2.jpg

We have lots of threads about the other branches of government. But what about everyone's favorite branch, the Legislative? We're a month or so into the 115th Congress, and there's a lot of things going on! This is your spot to discuss bills moving their way through congress, upcoming votes, hearings that may be going on, and general congressional drama.

But first, let's take a look at our congressional leadership.

In the House, the current Speaker is Paul Ryan (R-Wisconsin 1st District). His stated agenda is repealing the ACA, and he would also like to replace it with something. He's not sure what he'll be replacing it with, but rest assured it will be great. He also wants to cut taxes for rich people and raise them for poor people. Please don't ask him about Donald Trump.

440px-Paul_Ryan_official_Speaker_portrait.jpg

The House minority leader is still Nancy Pelosi (D- California 12th District). At this point, she's fighting a rear guard action on the accomplishments of the 111th congress, hoping that the Republican's lack of substantial follow-through on a replacement for the ACA will prevent them from doing anything substantive to destroy the law.

384px-Nancy_Pelosi_2012.jpg

In the Senate, we have our Senate Majority Leader, Mitch McConnell (R-Kentucky). He's a big fan of the Trump agenda so far, as I would hope, considering his wife is in Trump's cabinet. Currently, he's preoccupied finishing the work of getting Trump's nominees approved, and ramping up for what will likely be a pretty brutal battle over the confirmation of Gorsuch to the Supreme Court.

355px-Mitch_McConnell_portrait_2016.jpg

Our Senate Minority Leader is Chuck Schumer (D - New York). He has been somewhat preoccupied with confirmation hearings lately, and despite a pretty rough start, allowing Senate D's to support some pretty unqualified/bad nominees from Trump, Senate Democrats have been more unified in opposition on more recent nominations. It remains to be seen what the Senate Democrat strategy will be for the upcoming Supreme Court confirmation.

379px-Charles_Schumer_official_portrait.jpg

Last but not least, many members have been recently deluged with calls, letters, emails about a lot of the actions the Trump administration has been taking. A lot of congresspeople have had some pretty rough townhalls lately, too. For example:

This is also the place to discuss those! This is not the place to discuss Trump's cabinet, his executive orders, his hair, the Surpreme Court, or the hit 90's sitcom Friends, except in how they pertain to Congress.

http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/

Go forth and let the crongresscritters have a piece of your mind

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
KetBra on

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    That Chaffetz townhall was fine because they were all paid and not from Utah anyway, says Chaffetz.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Can we add 1 of those links that tells people who their Congresscritters are and how to contact them when they inevitably piss off 2/3rds of the country to the OP?

steam_sig.png
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Town hall protests in georgia too though the Republicans being protested didn't show up. That link says dozens, and others say hundreds, but all agree that the aides fled when the crowds started chanting, "SHAME!"

Which is good. We need to keep this up and give 'em all hell, actual grassroots style instead of astroturf like the Tea Party did.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Apparently there's a 10 day recess starting next weekend, and the democratic party has matching orders to go out and be active with their riled up constituency.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    An actual recess, or a "not a recess" vacation?

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    They don't have to care about the President doing recess appointments anymore so I would think an actual recess

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    At the rally today, there was a LOT of "Nevertheless she Persisted" signs. It's pretty obvious the treatment of Warren has fired up people.

We also had cutouts of our local reps, because they weren't here one way or another.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    So I knew about the Warren getting shut down in the Senate bit, but I didn't know it spawned a meme and a rallying cry. It reminds me of the Barbara Streisand effect. If they'd let her speak, it wouldn't be nearly as big a deal, and wouldn't have become a rallying cry.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    So I knew about the Warren getting shut down in the Senate bit, but I didn't know it spawned a meme and a rallying cry. It reminds me of the Barbara Streisand effect. If they'd let her speak, it wouldn't be nearly as big a deal, and wouldn't have become a rallying cry.

They even used it on Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me this week.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular

Well, it was also nearly a haiku.

• kowikowi Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    An actual recess, or a "not a recess" vacation?

I guess its both the same for them.

PSN: kowi - WiiU: kowi - XBL: KoWi - twitch.tv/kowi profile.png - "Yes, Kowi is the King of All" - smilie.png Unbreakable Vow
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    This is a good article about some of the town halls this week.

Republican Congress members face tide of protest in home districts
    Many heckled and shouted down Bill Akins, the chairman of the county Republican party, when he claimed falsely that Barack Obama’s Affordable Care Act (ACA) requires “anyone over the age of 74 has to go before what is effectively a death panel”.

Called “wrong” and a “liar” by people in the crowd, Akins refused to back down. “You’re wrong,” he said. “OK, children, all right, children.”
    Last Saturday Bilirakis faced another emotional scene in front of about 200 people, as partisans within the crowd turned on him and each other. An unaffiliated voter, who said he suffered from a congenital heart condition, pleaded with Bilirakis not to repeal the ACA, the Tampa Bay Times reported.

“Please don’t take my life away,” he said. “Please don’t let me die.”
    That same night in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, Republican Diane Black faced her own barrage of angry questions about healthcare. A woman named Jessi Bohon told Black the ACA fitted with her faith.

“As a Christian, my whole philosophy in life is pull up the unfortunate,” she said. If Congress repeals the law, she said, it would be “effectively punishing our sickest people”.

• MillMill Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I think it worth paying attention to protests like the ones showing up against Dave Brat.

I don't know if these will pick up more steam or stay strong until the next election. As I mentioned in another thread, the GOP assault on voting, doesn't just rely on screwing minorities out of their right to vote. Those efforts also rely on huge chunks of the voters remaining apathetic to voting or buying into both sides theory. The biggest weak point of bullshit gerrymandering is it's based on who votes, not on how the district would go if every eligible voter participated in an election. If protests like that continue going and pick up steam, while also showing up in numerous districts held by Republicans, 2018 might not be a happy time for the right.

Edit: Also would like to point out the GOP's line seems to be to claim these are paid protesters. I'll enjoy watching that blow up in their faces. Partly, I think they'll find this will go the same way a ton of their homophobic policies went. In that even members of their own base will call bullshit because they happen to deal with flesh and blood protesters at the office and/or at home. There is also the fact that it will probably rub republican and conservative voters that have not been happy with their republican congress critters the wrong way because the GOP essentially said they'll view any opposition as illegitimate.

Mill on
  • EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Could this congress BE any more garbage?

(I will not be silenced!)

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    I think it worth paying attention to protests like the ones showing up against Dave Brat.

I don't know if these will pick up more steam or stay strong until the next election. As I mentioned in another thread, the GOP assault on voting, doesn't just rely on screwing minorities out of their right to vote. Those efforts also rely on huge chunks of the voters remaining apathetic to voting or buying into both sides theory. The biggest weak point of bullshit gerrymandering is it's based on who votes, not on how the district would go if every eligible voter participated in an election. If protests like that continue going and pick up steam, while also showing up in numerous districts held by Republicans, 2018 might not be a happy time for the right.

Edit: Also would like to point out the GOP's line seems to be to claim these are paid protesters. I'll enjoy watching that blow up in their faces. Partly, I think they'll find this will go the same way a ton of their homophobic policies went. In that even members of their own base will call bullshit because they happen to deal with flesh and blood protesters at the office and/or at home. There is also the fact that it will probably rub republican and conservative voters that have not been happy with their republican congress critters the wrong way because the GOP essentially said they'll view any opposition as illegitimate.

Funny, conservatives are always the ones claiming their opposition are paid shills.

yet when protests are discovered that are actually paid shills, they are always in the employ of conservatives.

Another example of "We're doing it, so I'm sure they're doing it to!" guilty conscious, I would bet.

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Can we add 1 of those links that tells people who their Congresscritters are and how to contact them when they inevitably piss off 2/3rds of the country to the OP?

More focused on town halls is the Town Hall Project 2018 with Google doc of upcoming town hall-type meetings sortable by representative and state. It doesn't appear all-encompassing yet but it's a work in progress and there are a lot of names and meeting times already on the list.

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »

Indeed, Gerrymandering ONLY works if you have a very very accurate understanding of the electorate, and the people who do vote vote very stably. If new voters enter the arena in any kind of unexpected way, its the party benefitting from Gerrymandering which stands to take a massive beating. The entire Republican 'majority' in congress and the house is set up based on this fact.

60 Republican districts won by 4%
    40 Democratic districts won by 10%

Add a random +/- 5% voting into that and suddenly the Republicans lose 30 seats to chaos alone, while the Democrats lose nothing.

Remember also that demographic changes are eroding the current set of Republican gerrymandered maps, so they are even more vulnerable.

If we can send even say, 1% of unexpected new voters to the polls in 2018 as Democrats then it would be transformative to the election. Hell, if Democrats turned out at the midterm in the same way as they did for the presidential and Republicans were laid back instead? Democrats would win like 90% of house seats.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Where do you sign up to be a paid protester?

• CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Where do you sign up to be a paid protester?

Run for election as a member of the Republican Party.

• JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
  • Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Ooooooooooooklahoma! Where pregnant women are reduced to "hosts!"

Seriously though, this is several shades of fucked up. As a non-American / filthy foreigner I don't know how your state legislative branches link up with Congress. Would Oklahoma forumers contacting their Congressperson make any difference to this?

• EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Oklahoma is one of the places where they pride themselves in being as regressive as possible. They went 65 to 29 in favor of trump in the election, and roughly the same downticket. I'm not saying don't try to contact your congressional reps, but if there are deafer ears in the union, I'd be surprised.

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    The primary check on places like Oklahoma doing what they're describing there is the threat of the courts stepping in to stop them.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Seriously though, this is several shades of fucked up. As a non-American / filthy foreigner I don't know how your state legislative branches link up with Congress. Would Oklahoma forumers contacting their Congressperson make any difference to this?

Won't do shit, broski.

They wanted to make minimum wage increases a regional thing. Then OKC wanted to raise minimum wage in the city and they banned it despite 75% of the population being for it.

They don't give a fuck in Oklahoma.

• monikermoniker Registered User regular

They're separate, though Federal law preempts State/Local. Not that Federal would be more liberal on abortion. The main thing is that this would violate Casey. Assuming there are 5 Justices who still support Casey.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Ah yes.

If only we'd include the long downtrodden, never listened to man in these decisions. Whatever shall men do if their input is not paramount over all things.

aeNqQM9.jpg

Indeed, and if the woman dies during pregnancy, then the man will also be excuted. If the woman loses her job, the man will also be fired. If the woman suffers from any complications, the man will be poisoned in order to share similar complications. Including long term ones such as hemorrhoids, or depression. Shared decisions and consequences and all of course.

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »

Indeed, and if the woman dies during pregnancy, then the man will also be excuted. If the woman loses her job, the man will also be fired. If the woman suffers from any complications, the man will be poisoned in order to share similar complications. Including long term ones such as hemorrhoids, or depression. Shared decisions and consequences and all of course.

And of course, mandatory anal and penile tearing.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    State legislatures can be overridden by a SCOTUS ruling or a federal law passing that pre-empts them.

Otherwise what Oklahoma's horrid state govt does isn't particularly on topic for a Fed Congress thread.

• CapekCapek Registered User regular
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/focus-people--2
    There's a side conversation occurring among Democrats today about whether protests are fueling momentum and organizing for a Democratic electoral comeback or diverting energy from it. For me, it's all of the above. I do not believe they're in opposition to each other at all. But for everyone who is worried, determined, angry or anything else to save the country from Trumpism, please focus on this. If all Donald Trump's nominees are confirmed by the Senate, which is quite likely, we will have in the next few months at least four House special elections for seats now held by Republicans. These contests are each critical for stemming the tide of Trumpism.

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past. - Fitzgerald
  • CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Jubal77 wrote: »

Update: "Um, nope, cuz like we don't want to violate privacy or civil liberties (no, seriously, stop laughing, why are you guys laughing at that?!) also have you folks heard about how slippery slopes work? They can be so slippery!"

CptKemzik on
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

A woman is but the fertile ground in which a MAN plants his seed.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    What a shitty analogy.

Unless Oklahoma has some weird state statute that if someone shows up to your house they don't have to leave until they want to.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Capek wrote: »
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/focus-people--2
    There's a side conversation occurring among Democrats today about whether protests are fueling momentum and organizing for a Democratic electoral comeback or diverting energy from it. For me, it's all of the above. I do not believe they're in opposition to each other at all. But for everyone who is worried, determined, angry or anything else to save the country from Trumpism, please focus on this. If all Donald Trump's nominees are confirmed by the Senate, which is quite likely, we will have in the next few months at least four House special elections for seats now held by Republicans. These contests are each critical for stemming the tide of Trumpism.

One of those that Marshall mentions is up here in Montana, and it's actually pretty damn crucial! We're replacing our at-large Representative, as Zinke is most likely to become the Interior Secretary.

So, why is this one important? Well, if the GOP holds it, not only does it give them another seat in the House, but it will position that person to face Tester in 2018. If the Dems win it, then the usual jump off points for a Senate run (Governor, Representative) will be in Dem hands in 2018. They'll still find someone, but that individual will not have the same profile, making the match up easier. Currently, the last GOP candidate for Governor, Greg Gianforte, has thrown his hat into the ring for the Republicans.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    What a shitty analogy.

Unless Oklahoma has some weird state statute that if someone shows up to your house they don't have to leave until they want to.

Well yes, remember the Oklahoma statute that as soon as someone believes that you have invited them to your house, even if you didn't actually want to do so they are allowed to stay even if they actually kill you while they are staying there.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    What a shitty analogy.

Well yes, remember the Oklahoma statute that as soon as someone believes that you have invited them to your house, even if you didn't actually want to do so they are allowed to stay even if they actually kill you while they are staying there.

I just checked and apparently Oklahoma isn't a Castle Doctrine state, so... checks out.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    The far right nutbar caucus ("Freedom Caucus") voted to oppose any ACA repeal that isn't as strong as the ones they passed in the last Congress. The responsibility free obviously going to be vetoed full repeal. Which leaves the Republicans in a bit of a pickle, politically.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Keep on letting perfect be the enemy of evil, freedom caucus

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
This discussion has been closed.