As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Coming to XBLA in January: Chessmaster

BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Games and Technology
FINALLY.

I've been waiting forever for a decent chess game for Live. I still can't believe it took them 2 years to crank one out the door.
Ubisoft wrote:
London, United Kingdom – November 29, 2007 – Today Ubisoft, one of the world’s largest video game publishers, announced that it is releasing Chessmaster LIVE on the Xbox LIVE Arcade for the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft.

“Bringing the Chessmaster series to Xbox LIVE Arcade makes the game accessible to a whole new audience,” said Peter Helm, business development associate at Ubisoft. “Chessmaster LIVE is not only a comprehensive chess program, but it is also one that has expanded beyond the traditional game to include exciting features for fans, both old and new.”

Chessmaster LIVE will feature:

Hundreds of AI opponents to play in ELO-ranked matches
Voice-chat and LIVE Vision capabilities for head-to-head matches
New 3D chess sets inspired by luxury board designer, House of Staunton
Five original chess variants, including the all-new Message Chess option, which will allow players to engage in a match over the course of days, weeks or even months

Chessmaster LIVE will be available for download in January 2008.

Ubisoft will also be publishing Chessmaster for the PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system, scheduled for a worldwide release in Spring 2008.

Bamelin on

• Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Should've been Battle Chess.

But this is okay I guess.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Monoxide wrote: »

Mono wins the thread.
    Battle Chess was the best chess, and would be a highly welcomed addition to Live Arcade.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Bamelin wrote: »
    FINALLY.

I've been waiting forever for a decent chess game for Live. I still can't believe it took them 2 years to crank one out the door.
    Ubisoft wrote:
    Five original chess variants

What the shit?

ben0207 on
  • Options
    CarolinaBBQCarolinaBBQ Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Oh man I remember playing that on my 386. The voices sounded like metal scraping together. Watching the Rook take my Queen in its VGA glory was probably one of the most brutal things I had seen with my 10 year old eyes.

CarolinaBBQ on
    Scri33le.png
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »
    FINALLY.

Ubisoft wrote:
    Five original chess variants

What the shit?

Different rules, same board and pieces.

stigweard on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I'm just happy I'll finally be able to play Chess over Live.

Unless they do something stupid and price it for more than 400 points.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    BacklashBacklash Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm sad this isn't going to have the crazy awesome tutorial mode the oxbox version of Chessmaster had.

For anyone looking on how to play the game or play it better, track down that version (I think there was a PC release too). It's gotta be really cheap now. Sadly I don't think it's BC.

Backlash on
    Absoludacrous.jpg
    SSBB: 2921-8745-1438
    Diamond: 2320-2615-4086
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Battle Chess ftw.
    This is good too though, an opportunity to make my mother feel worse about herself.

Muahahaha....
    CHECK, bitch!

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    FINALLY.

Ubisoft wrote:
    London, United Kingdom – November 29, 2007 – Today Ubisoft, one of the world’s largest video game publishers, announced that it is releasing Chessmaster LIVE on the Xbox LIVE Arcade for the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft.

“Bringing the Chessmaster series to Xbox LIVE Arcade makes the game accessible to a whole new audience,” said Peter Helm, business development associate at Ubisoft. “Chessmaster LIVE is not only a comprehensive chess program, but it is also one that has expanded beyond the traditional game to include exciting features for fans, both old and new.”

Five original chess variants, including the all-new Message Chess option, which will allow players to engage in a match over the course of days, weeks or even months

Ubisoft will also be publishing Chessmaster for the PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system, scheduled for a worldwide release in Spring 2008.

There was a decent chess game released to the arcade a couple months ago, that also included a few other games with it, and camera support if I remember right.

Aoi on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    I remember playing Chessmaster on the NES

unfortunately no game since then has had the awesome theme song.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Awesome, I was never brilliant at it but I love the odd game of chess.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Please have Bugchess. Bugchess is so awesome.

Also..uh..I was totally in Chess club. I will be getting this, and laying the smackdown on you people.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Monoxide wrote: »

Prsh, it's all about Archon.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Aoi wrote: »
    FINALLY.

Ubisoft wrote:

There was a decent chess game released to the arcade a couple months ago, that also included a few other games with it, and camera support if I remember right.

Didn't that one cost 800 pts (can't remember the name off hand)? I forget why I didn't get it specifically ... I do remember it getting horrible reviews.

Bamelin on