As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ok[chat]pid

kedinikkedinik Captain of IndustryRegistered User regular
edited February 2017 in Debate and/or Discourse
Lately I’ve been trying out this online dating thing that all the kids are talking about

So far it’s going alright

Here are a few highlights paraphrased from matches I looked at tonight:

“Basically I’m a fan of ceilingfans”

“You should know I like red beans and rice more than I like most people”

“You should message me if you want to destroy white supremacy”

“Don’t even talk to me unless you realize it’s ok to punch Nazis”

Ok! It's time for a pop quiz on my romantic interests: Out of those four dating profiles, which one convinced me to send a message?

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
kedinik on

Ok[chat]pid 102 votes

Ceilingfans fan
27%
RedTidematt has a problemDrezElement BrianSixKid PresentableLeitnerKristmas KthulhuHonkMazzyxBeefjerkyPowerpuppiesronyaSparvyOldSlackerNoughtJuliusCaptain MarcusOnTheLastCastleSmrtnik 28 votes
Red beans and rice
17%
QuidKurganJacobkoshzeenyHi I'm Vee!GooeyArchjimb213AlazullSmaug6AbdhyiusjakobaggerKruiteChanusspool32zepherin21stCenturyOrphane 18 votes
Destroying white supremacy
16%
kedinikDarkPrimusFeralHaphazardwanderingCouscousCasual EddyRingoTL DRYamiNoSenshiGoodKingJayIIIdescJubal77surrealitycheckcptruggedEddyBeNarwhal 17 votes
Punching Nazis
38%
nexuscrawlerMulysaSemproniusRiemannLivessyndalisDoodmannRear Admiral ChocoNova_CElendilNightDragonHakkekageRhesus PositiveBogartAiouaThomamelasAtomikaTavHahnsoo1LawndartCasualSurfpossum 39 votes

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    There's an awful lot of vitriol toward for honor

did Ubisoft kill some loved ones or something?

I'm unsure if I'm going to buy it but like... there's a lot of errant speculation and you can literally play it right now, for free, which I would assume one should do if they're going to adopt a wholeheartedly hostile stance toward it???

I spent a few hours playing it today and it seems really fun, the combat is reasonably deep... I just don't think there's enough content there for a full priced game and I can easily see Ubi parceling out more stuff for $$$

override367 on
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Ceilingfans fan
    Because I can only assume it's an oblique reference to sex.

i.e. Spending so much time looking at the ceiling one becomes a connoisseur.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I think it's boring and Ubisoft has done their usual obfuscating it behind pretend heft and weight but the core of each game type is utter and complete boredom. It's bedtime, I can explain more tomorrow.

@OnTheLastCastle

Ok cool I'm genuinely curious to get your perspective because the game seems pretty fun. I've only but a few hours into it but I'm having fun so far.

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Punching Nazis

I'm unsure if I'm going to buy it but like... there's a lot of errant speculation and you can literally play it right now, for free, which I would assume one should do if they're going to adopt a wholeheartedly hostile stance toward it???

I spent a few hours playing it today and it seems really fun, the combat is reasonably deep... I just don't think there's enough content there for a full priced game and I can easily see Ubi parceling out more stuff for $$$

My rule for games criticism is generally some variation on 'You do you,'; For Honor lacks appeal to me because it's peer to peer. YMMV.

With Love and Courage
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

Yeah I think the consensus is that it's fine for a free to play thing rather than actual game price

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    edited February 2017
    It's definitely more fun than Chivalry and other such games

I'll find out if my friends get it and I will, since I really really like the combat, and the p2p's been okay so far, but otherwise no

being cross platform is a pretty huge plus

I just wish my friends would believe me that Rainbow Six Siege is the way and the light and buy that

override367 on
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Punching Nazis
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Yeah I think the consensus is that it's fine for a free to play thing rather than actual game price

I think the world has more or less collectively decided that entrance fees for multiplayer games are no long acceptable (see: Evolve, Titanfall 2, Battleborn).

So you now have to start judging multiplayer titles against other titles that are also free, because that is probably the status quo going forward.

How does For Honor stack up in this regard?

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Ceilingfans fan
    Crossposting from G&T:

Uh

I started playing Nioh at 9PM.

I just stopped and it's 4AM.

What the fuck

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »

I think the world has more or less collectively decided that entrance fees for multiplayer games are no long acceptable (see: Evolve, Titanfall 2, Battleborn).

So you now have to start judging multiplayer titles against other titles that are also free, because that is probably the status quo going forward.

Ehh Titanfall 2 had a full campaign it was just stuck between 2 other shooters.

And thats not totally true regardless cause R6:Siege is doing so well it got a second year of DLC coming.

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Ceilingfans fan
    I choose option A because of the alliteration. I'm pretty sure it's not actually called alliteration, but whatever that thing is called is what I liked about A.

PSN: Honkalot
    It's definitely more fun than Chivalry and other such games

I'll find out if my friends get it and I will, since I really really like the combat, and the p2p's been okay so far, but otherwise no

being cross platform is a pretty huge plus

I just wish my friends would believe me that Rainbow Six Siege is the way and the light and buy that

For Honor isn't cross platform broheim

edited February 2017
    It's definitely much slicker than all but a tiny handful of free to play games, with only around 6 hours under my belt in it it's hard to say for sure but I think I only like Dark Souls melee combat better, if For Honor had more meat on its bones it would be an A++ instant buy forever

Without dedicated servers though and the content it has (given that from all accounts the single player is kind of an ancillary experience) I think it should be $30? Idk, at $48 I'd definitely get my money's worth but I got other shit to play

Edit: oh I guess just the stupid battle lines or whatever are cross platform, that's silly this seems like the perfect game for it

override367 on
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    It's definitely much slicker than all but a tiny handful of free to play games, with only around 6 hours under my belt in it it's hard to say for sure but I think I only like Dark Souls melee combat better, if For Honor had more meat on its bones it would be an A++ instant buy forever

Without dedicated servers though and the content it has (given that from all accounts the single player is kind of an ancillary experience) I think it should be $30? Idk, at $48 I'd definitely get my money's worth.

Edit: oh I guess just the stupid battle lines or whatever are cross platform, that's silly this seems like the perfect game for it

apparently the DLC will be mostly free, although I expect any major expansions to not be free.

but yeah I'm going to give it like, six months or so and if the game hasn't died by then because of Ubi's cheapness then I'll probably pick it up on a sale or something.

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Red beans and rice
    The Ender wrote: »

Ehh Titanfall 2 had a full campaign it was just stuck between 2 other shooters.

And thats not totally true regardless cause R6:Siege is doing so well it got a second year of DLC coming.

Also Overwatch is massively popular, and CS:GO rivals League of Legends for popularity in e-sports.

Like, what are some hugely popular free-to-play competitive multiplayer games that aren't MOBAs? Hearthstone and World of Tanks are pretty popular.

If you want to make a MOBA, sure I'll buy that you pretty much have to go FtP these days. Outside of that, though, I don't think the world has "collectively decided" anything about multiplayer games that require purchasing the full game.

vRyue2p.png
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    Ceilingfans fan
    Watching some more of Hormones, a Thai version of Skins, more or less.

Consuming Thai fiction is odd, because Thai folks all go by nicknames. Like, eeeeeveryone. All the time. Who the hell even knows what their formal name is. Something very long.

So, you have character names like Dao, Thee, Non, Mhog, and so on. OK, cool, no problem.

But mixed right in with them you also have folks named Boss, First, Robot, and Sprite. And plenty of English names mixed in there too.

I really don't know of any other cultures that do something like that, it's really unique.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    edited February 2017
    Hearthstone isn't really free to play, it's like $70 or something to get access to all the content

override367 on
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    also the obvious answer to this poll question is red beans and rice, because kedinik is a well-established beany boy in the chat canon

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Red beans and rice
    Honestly I probably could have just responded to that post with "Overwatch" and been done with it.

Maybe also another post that said "CS:GO".

I mean, you included Battleborn in that list, which is basically famous solely because it got absolutely CRUSHED by Overwatch when they shared a release date.

vRyue2p.png
    Speaking of Ubisoft

yall need to play Watch Dogs 2

Ceilingfans fan
    What if God was one of us
    Just a weird black and white cactus thing with little pompon edging like one of us

SNL's version of Sean Spicer is only a little bit more horrible than the real one

Red beans and rice
    Side note: while looking up lists of top grossing/most popular e-sports games, I discovered that Warcraft III is not only still played competitive, but has a pretty strong scene.

Like, I get Starcraft: Brood War. But WCIII? Crazy.

vRyue2p.png
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Just a weird black and white cactus thing with little pompon edging like one of us

And for just $2.99

Ceilingfans fan
    kedinik wrote: »

And for just $2.99

Plus tax though.

Ceilingfans fan
    Speaking of Ubisoft

Does core gameplay consist of climbing towers to unlock map areas?

Can I play as a white male?

Speaking of Ubisoft

Does core gameplay consist of climbing towers to unlock map areas?

Can I play as a white male?

Nope and nope

• NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Punching Nazis
    I mean obviously

edited February 2017
    Side note: while looking up lists of top grossing/most popular e-sports games, I discovered that Warcraft III is not only still played competitive, but has a pretty strong scene.

Like, I get Starcraft: Brood War. But WCIII? Crazy.

It's a bit like the Brood War of China, I think

kedinik on
    Watch Dogs 2 is another game about gunning down everyone in your path and I don't think i'm up for another one of those yet

edited February 2017
    Watch Dogs 2 is another game about gunning down everyone in your path and I don't think i'm up for another one of those yet

...no?

I did it 100% non lethal except for one mission cause chose not to. (they deserved to die)

And even then you can avoid a large portion of combat if you use your two drones correctly

bloodyroarxx on
    Ceilingfans fan
    Unfortunately I'm still mad at Ubisoft for making another unrelated game online-required for stupid DRM reasons.

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Ceilingfans fan
    2 much open world games rn

I was really close to finishing Shadow of Mordor, got like halfway through Mafia 3 and Syndicate last year. I just can't keep focus on them for as long as they want. I didn't even finish GTAV actually.

I haven't kept tabs but I think Horizon might be open world too, I'm really excited about that game but we'll see I am always excited but end up not playing through.

Thomamelas wrote: »

I could use a hurricane-proof dog

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Punching Nazis
    kedinik wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »

I could use a hurricane-proof dog

Can't we all?

Honk wrote: »
    2 much open world games rn

I was really close to finishing Shadow of Mordor, got like halfway through Mafia 3 and Syndicate last year. I just can't keep focus on them for as long as they want. I didn't even finish GTAV actually.

I haven't kept tabs but I think Horizon might be open world too, I'm really excited about that game but we'll see I am always excited but end up not playing through.

yeah I think being open world might be the main reason I let watch dogs 2 pass by

and why For Honor is grabbing me so much, it's pretty small scale

Dark Souls 3 dlc 2 is coming out soon but dark souls DLC stuff is always super crazy hard and I lost my xbox controller so there's no way

OH MY GOD

Kate McKinnon as Jeff Sessions

This is going to be the greatest season of SNL

This discussion has been closed.