As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Non-Russia related Corruption/Grift/Ethics Violations in the [Trump] Administration

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    The Conway thing yesterday is so clearly a huge ethics violation and so neatly circumscribes the problem with not divesting holdings that it actually feels like a plotline from Veep or something.
    How all these things will just float by with no penalty or correction whatsoever, and in the long run normalized to the republican machinery, makes me think we're looking at US as a failed state down the line. :)
    It was fun while it lasted, and you sure had a good run!

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »
    The Conway thing yesterday is so clearly a huge ethics violation and so neatly circumscribes the problem with not divesting holdings that it actually feels like a plotline from Veep or something.
    How all these things will just float by with no penalty or correction whatsoever, and in the long run normalized to the republican machinery, makes me think we're looking at US as a failed state down the line. :)

It seems to be the destiny of all modern superpowers

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

Did we really though?

Like seriously, I've been in churches that took longer to build than it took for the United States to become a complete fuckin farse.

Sleep on
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »
    Would this be the place to talk about the US investigators corroborating with some of the aspects of the Russia dossier (the pee pee dossier)?

@mim either Russia thread or there was a thread specifically started about the dossier if you can find it

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

Did we really though?

Like seriously, I've been in churches that took longer to build than it took for the United States to become a complete fuckin farse.

Maybe this is just the tricky teenage years where America pushes the boundaries set by their parents

Unfortunately without an effective way to discipline a teenager or make them face consequences for their actions, you get... well, Donald Trump

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular

Did we really though?

For modern governments its hard to think of one older than the US. Britain maybe a hundred or so years older if you count from the Restoration or Act of union. Other than that no major nation really comes to mind.

• monikermoniker Registered User regular

Did we really though?

For modern governments its hard to think of one older than the US. Britain maybe a hundred or so years older if you count from the Restoration or Act of union. Other than that no major nation really comes to mind.

Norway.

• Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    I think the UK has the oldest contiguous government in the world, if you don't count the 1999 devolution (recreation of Scottish Parliament) to be a break.

Also depends on whether you count "change in constitution" as a change in government, or whether that change has to really alter the manner in which power is distributed in the country as the Articles of Confederation did. E.g. does the French government date from the 5th Republic, or from the installation of the unbroken chain of democracy from 1871?

Either way, even stable democracies change constitutions once in a while when confronted by the problems facing our country now.

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    moniker wrote: »

Did we really though?

Norway.

Independent from Sweden in 1905?

Jealous Deva on
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

Did we really though?

Norway.

Constitution of 1814. But that's still younger than the US. (Fun fact: Norway has the world's second oldest constitution still in use, the US has the oldest.)

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular

Did we really though?

I'm not entirely sure, but it looks like San Marino might have the US beat by a hundred years? Maybe? Or a thousand four hundred years. I'm not really sure if there's been any breaks in San Marino's government during its seventeen-hundred-year-reign, but that's probably just my ignorance speaking. It's kind of hard to talk about constitutions and stuff when you go back that far, since the concept of nation-states was a bit different.

Interesting factoid, though: they made Lincoln an honorary citizen.

• monikermoniker Registered User regular

Did we really though?

Norway.

Constitution of 1814. But that's still younger than the US. (Fun fact: Norway has the world's second oldest constitution still in use, the US has the oldest.)

And our Constitution is drastically different from the framing. Eighteen year old black non-land owning women are directly electing members of the United States Senate. A governing body that can levy an income tax independent of Census data while regulating intrastate commerce to ensure equal protection and due process.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    This is an interesting tangent but let's refocus on the main topic. If someone wants to start a spin-off thread to talk about oldest continuous governments/constitutions, they are certainly free to do so and I would enjoy reading it.

rRwz9.gif
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Trump crashed a wedding at Mar-a-Lago and made it even more obvious how he won't separate his job as president from his businesses.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/12/politics/trump-shinzo-abe-mar-a-lago-north-korea/index.html
    But even as he confronted one of the gravest matters of his office, Trump nonetheless found it impossible to resist dropping in on a nearby wedding reception, already underway in his treasured Grand Ballroom. Trump designed and built the space himself after purchasing Mar-a-Lago in the 1980s.

Entering the ornate room, Trump took a photo with the bride and her bridesmaids, who posed in red gowns next to the commander in chief, mimicking his signature thumbs-up.

Then he grabbed a microphone.

"I saw them out on the lawn today," Trump said of the bride and groom, who were standing nearby. "I said to the Prime Minister of Japan, I said, 'C'mon Shinzo, let's go over and say hello.' "

"They've been members of this club for a long time," Trump said of the newlyweds. "They've paid me a fortune."
    He is not even trying to make the pay for access possibilities less obvious.

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    god damn

poor Shinzo

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    He's going to make that Merkel shoulder grab look invitingly consensual.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

I'm thinking people are going to look back on the halcyon GWB years fondly. From "My Pet Goat" to the Merkel thing, to the handling of Hurricane Katrina and Iraq.

"Remember when that was the worst a Republican President was capable of?"

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

I'm thinking people are going to look back on the halcyon GWB years fondly. From "My Pet Goat" to the Merkel thing, to the handling of Hurricane Katrina and Iraq.

"Remember when that was the worst a Republican President was capable of?"

"Not literally a Nazi" - where the bar is right now.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Alt-thread title:

Business as Usual in the [Trump] Administration.

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    god damn

poor Shinzo

This is not a sentiment I'd have thought I'd ever feel

But here it is

fuck gendered marketing
    So there are problems with allowing a bunch of people around the President

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Trump crashed a wedding at Mar-a-Lago and made it even more obvious how he won't separate his job as president from his businesses.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/12/politics/trump-shinzo-abe-mar-a-lago-north-korea/index.html
    But even as he confronted one of the gravest matters of his office, Trump nonetheless found it impossible to resist dropping in on a nearby wedding reception, already underway in his treasured Grand Ballroom. Trump designed and built the space himself after purchasing Mar-a-Lago in the 1980s.

Entering the ornate room, Trump took a photo with the bride and her bridesmaids, who posed in red gowns next to the commander in chief, mimicking his signature thumbs-up.

"I saw them out on the lawn today," Trump said of the bride and groom, who were standing nearby. "I said to the Prime Minister of Japan, I said, 'C'mon Shinzo, let's go over and say hello.' "

"They've been members of this club for a long time," Trump said of the newlyweds. "They've paid me a fortune."

This is 100% pure fucking garbage. It gives me a visceral reaction that I can't even describe.

'Hey, you want to go meet the President? Book your wedding at Mar-a-Lago!'

Fuck every Goddamn snake & worm claiming to be folksy conservatives that refuse to impeach this pick pocket. This is how a nation dies, if not with a bang. Maybe America survives Trump; America will probably not survive the endless chain of matchstick men that follow, leveraging this new normal to get even fatter & drunker than they already were while relaxing in their private palace rather than working in the capitol buildings.

With Love and Courage
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    The best thing to ever happen to George W. Bush is Donald J. Trump.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    Actually, it was probably meeting Laura

• Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »

This is 100% pure fucking garbage. It gives me a visceral reaction that I can't even describe.

'Hey, you want to go meet the President? Book your wedding at Mar-a-Lago!'

Fuck every Goddamn snake & worm claiming to be folksy conservatives that refuse to impeach this pick pocket. This is how a nation dies, if not with a bang. Maybe America survives Trump; America will probably not survive the endless chain of matchstick men that follow, leveraging this new normal to get even fatter & drunker than they already were while relaxing in their private palace rather than working in the capitol buildings.
    "But her emailspay2play!!!"

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Yeah, and he's directly responsible for giving us Trump. Thanks, George.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »

Cue countries sending in as many spies as possible to work at Mar-a-Lago.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Actually, it was probably meeting Laura

For the actual person, of any President, I doubt we'd even know. We mostly discuss the public image of Presidents because it is the only thing that any of us have access too.

In that sense, Donald Trump is absolutely the best thing to happen to Bush the lesser.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    I like how that article says that he built that ballroom himself.

Like Trump would ever stoop so low as to carry out manual labor himself.

• CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    I think we're seeing evidence in that photo that Bannon cannot be photographed due to actually being a malevolent, supernatural entity.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I like how that article says that he built that ballroom himself.

Like Trump would ever stoop so low as to carry out manual labor himself.

Hey now, he refused to pay the contractors he had an underling hire with his own bare hands!

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I think we're seeing evidence in that photo that Bannon cannot be photographed due to actually being a motherfucking vampire.

Should almost be Shitposting Time in the White House by now...

Mx. Quill on
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Is there anything out there about how the Secret Service has secured the Mar-a-lago? Because if Trump is going to insist on hanging around public spaces where anyone can get in and out with a club membership... yeah... I don't think spies would need this cue to already be there.

Psn:wazukki
    edited February 2017
    It's a pretty funny/sad contrast, seeing certain Republicans need police in full-on riot gear because they're terrified of protestors while the goddamn President just ups and crashes wedding receptions, allowing anyone to get near him and pose for photos.

But he is just that egotistic and needs people to be surprised to see him "acting like a common civilian."

Edit: or rather, behavior he thinks is befitting a civilian.

Mx. Quill on
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    It's a pretty funny/sad contrast, seeing certain Republicans need police in full-on riot gear because they're terrified of protestors while the goddamn President just ups and crashes wedding receptions, allowing anyone to get near him and pose for photos.

But he is just that egotistic and needs people to be surprised to see him "acting like a common civilian."

Common civilians don't crash weddings.

I feel bad for the folks who had their wedding interrupted by this shit gibbon

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    What information could a spy get them that Trump or Flynn wouldn't willingly turn over their selves?

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular

I very strongly suspect that the staff is already being paid as spies and/or it has already been infiltrated with spies and the place is bugged to all hell, and mostly Russian. Putin might even have suggested somehow to Trump that he have his own vacation spot, like a winter palace for relaxation, like say that Mar-a-Lago would be great, and Trump is stupid enough to run right into the trap.

Betcha Trump's every bowel movement is being recorded by the FSB.

This discussion has been closed.