As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] POST IN THE NEW THREAD!

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I got my copy of Mint Works as well. Weirdly, my UPS tracking number still shows it as sitting at a UPS store. And it arrived via USPS. I am thoroughly confused.

camo_sig2.png
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Mine didn't come today. Kinda getting anxious. :(

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Oh my god we played Samurai Spirit and we went through three villages, all the people died. There was blood everywhere.

Yeah... yeah, that happens.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    I got my copy of Mint Works as well. Weirdly, my UPS tracking number still shows it as sitting at a UPS store. And it arrived via USPS. I am thoroughly confused.

UPS has a deal where they deliver to local USPS offices rather then deliver it directly plus lots of drivers are too lazy to scan packages.

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Kind of amazing that it managed to never get scanned after initial drop-off, but I'm glad to have it!

camo_sig2.png
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    My Mint Works showed up...yesterday, I think? And today Power Grid, Eight-Minute Empires, and Dominion+Prosperity (to forward on to a fresh gamer in need) showed up from the kind @ChaosHat! Very looking forward to playing all of those, as well as Scythe which arrived early on Wednesday (and a local store is closing their B&M shop, so I got the expansion from them for 25% off). So much to play, so little time...

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Mint Works first game was a success. Edged out the wife 8-6. I think it'll be a lot better with 3-4 players.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Honestly, having played the first Gloomhaven scenario three times, I think it is just not tuned correctly, especially at 4 players. It should have like at least one less monster in each room. Or maybe you should be instructed to play it on Easy if it is your first game.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Honestly, having played the first Gloomhaven scenario three times, I think it is just not tuned correctly, especially at 4 players. It should have like at least one less monster in each room. Or maybe you should be instructed to play it on Easy if it is your first game.

We've only done the first room of the first scenario but found it completely simple on Normal. Cleared all the bandits with no damage so far and only one rest period each.

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Mintworks arrived! Looks like he used Funagaingames for shipping.

Mine still hasn't moved since Jan 30 :(

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      edited February 2017
      TimFiji wrote: »
      ArcSyn wrote: »
      Mintworks arrived! Looks like he used Funagaingames for shipping.

Mine still hasn't moved since Jan 30 :(

No sign of mine yet either. Might be an east coast thing.

Vyolynce on
      nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
      AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    • LorekLorek Registered User regular
      Has anyone in Canada gotten their Mint Works yet? I got the final email saying they were going to ship soon and this was the last chance to change my address, but I haven't seen anything since; not even notification of shipping. Starting to get concerned when people are getting them but mine doesn't appear to have even shipped :(

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
      I've heard nothing about my mint works either but I'm in Europe so it's not surprising

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
      I don't think it got mentioned, but Battle for Greyport pretty much overhauled their rules and put out a different version of the intro scenario to not deal a crushing blow to new players.

Basically:

Taunting is optional.
      You can recover health between encounters (the fact Shadowrun: Crossfire let you do this with a very similar setup should be telling)
      General rule clarifications made.

When we played we got destroyed because everyone bled out over the encounter. Hopefully these new rules will help a lot with that.

http://slugfestgames.com/bfgupdates/

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      It has been awhile since I last played Kingdom Death but at yesterday's session
      My superwoman Assclown 2000 rocking 2 Katars and her son Jon Boy 2000, the two remaining survivors took down the butcher. The latter survived some fury of blades (I forgot the name) and ended up learning Legendary Lungs Secret Fighting art AND Looting his butcher blade.

Ugh. So fun.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
        Hotel booked for GenCon. The skywalk-accessible ones were already taken, but we got one within walking distance of the convention center, so I'm cool with this. :)

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
        Athenor wrote: »
        Hotel booked for GenCon. The skywalk-accessible ones were already taken, but we got one within walking distance of the convention center, so I'm cool with this. :)

Ugh. My booking window isn't for another hour and 40 minutes or so. I really wanted to end up closer this year. Being out near the airport last year was a drag.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
        Gloomhaven

2 more rounds of this last night. We had a surprisingly-easy time with the second mission as a two-man team, and then played an optional one, which got exciting both difficult and exciting. Details in spoilers, but I have come to think that first mission is deliberately tuned to "pretty hard," and things slacken up a bit after - but only a bit.

Mission 2:
        So the Bandit Commander basically just jumps around the room opening doors full of zombies, who we were largely able to avoid while working him over. Our Mindthief was late so it was just my Cragheart and my buddy's Brute. One notable moment came when I blocked a zombie with obstacles and then my buddy revealed he was planning to jump over them to hit the Bandit Commander, leaving him trapped in a side room. He exhausted, largely as a result of that, but I was able to finish the remaining zombies off.

I am pretty sure Reserve Ammunition is the key to putting out respectable damage as Cragheart; it's been a big factor in every case where we needed it, and finding the time to activate it is the hard part.

Optional Mission #71:
        After looting the chest in Mission 1, we drew the reveal card for this one, which is the Windswept Highlands; we figured we'd give it a shot once the Mindthief caught up with us. This was tense, but we were able to get it done just barely in time; the Mindthief exhausted on the exit, by design. This has you rushing through / brawling with a huge number of Sun Demons and some Wind Demons to loot treasure and then run back to the start - it's an unusual design relative to what we've seen thus far. There's also a violent wind-current that pushes you around at the end of every round. The Sun and Wind Demons are both pretty dangerous customers; the Spitting Drakes, which are "asleep" and thus inactive unless you provoke them, are mostly positioned so it's an if-not-when thing, but we were able to avoid a couple.

Baiting enemies to where we can slam them into traps and door-blocking continue to be our best tricks for board management; I'd be really interested to hear from any of you playing the Tinkerer if he's all that good at driving the enemies into weird paths with his traps and things, since the manual implies as much.

We're now at or near Level 2; the others have done a really nice job of farming XP, though I continue to find it sort of difficult on the Cragheart. I am expecting big things in another mission or two.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
        Ketar wrote: »

Ugh. My booking window isn't for another hour and 40 minutes or so. I really wanted to end up closer this year. Being out near the airport last year was a drag.

Keep a eye on the website, especially around the cancellation deadline. Hotels will often pop up as available again as people cancel. That's how I got my Skywalk-connected one last year in the middle of a Netrunner tournament. :D

Got mine, and looks like I'm in the Omni again. A little bit of a walk, but at least it's all inside.

persona4celestia.jpg
        COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
      • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
        edited February 2017
        Ketar wrote: »

I'm attending for my second time with two other gents. One of them had a hotel time around 8pm, mine was 1:14 (I checked, there were still around 21 options open within 1-5 blocks of the centre), and another's was 12:20, so we'll be about a block away.

Which will be infinitely superior to the first time I went, when the housing portal server failed for a good 5 or 6 hours while everyone who didn't get tickets in advance got to jump the queue and we ended up a half hour drive away.

So that pressure is out of the way, but now the long wait until late May for event registration begins.

Flight, Con Ticket, and Hotel being attended to feels really good though. Probably going to run True Dungeon once or twice, hoping to catch the Concert Against Humanity (assuming they have it again), and likely spend a good day or two worth of time at the FFP booth.

Oh and maybe play some games that would be awesome too.
        PMAvers wrote: »
        Got mine, and looks like I'm in the Omni again. A little bit of a walk, but at least it's all inside.

O.O

Me too! :D

Forar on
        First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
      • gaming_librariangaming_librarian Turn your face to the sun... Registered User regular
        I have to give Iello's Sea of Clouds a plug. It's a cool little card game with some card drafting elements, press your luck, and set collecting mechanics, all presented in a theme of sky pirates! You basically spend 12 or so rounds taking turns collecting sets of relic cards (item sets that often start out in the negative but evolve into several victory points the more you collect), rum cards (different quality rum for better points), treasure items that give bonuses, and secret items that function a lot like the Lord cards in Lords of Waterdeep (score 3 points for every X type of card at endgame, etc.). The few combat phases function a lot like 7 Wonders combat, comparing combat strength to see if you get rewards. In this case, there are pirate crew cards you can collect, and if you beat your opponent when combat pops up, you get to do things like steal their money/items or just take money from the loot supply. The rewards all depend on the pirates you draft. The neat part is the "push your luck" element. There is a draw pile consisting of 4 card types for the game's loot: pirates, objects, relics, and rum. At any given time, there are three stacks of "loot shares", face down. On your turn, you basically check "door number 1", decide if you want that card. If you do, you take it and replace that stash. If you don't want it, you put it back, place another card on top of it, then proceed down the line. This way, loot stashes really get diverse and build eventual value even if the current card isn't something you want. When you take a stash, you get everything in the stash. It was a blast to play and will be coming to the table regularly for future game gatherings at my house.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
        Started reading the Arkham Horror book. The book is a collection of short pieces about each investigator, plus illustrations.

Hmmm. The first entry is pretty bad, a first person piece apparently by the handyman investigator whose tone is all over the shop. Sometimes colloquial and sometimes decidedly not, it's bad writing and worse editing. Iffy work, FFG. We'll see how the others are.

• SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
        edited February 2017
        My copy of Mint Works arrived as well! I just played a pair of two player games and lost both of them horribly (like, wouldn't even catch up with an extra turn) but my initial impressions are extremely positive.

The mints are pretty uneven size-wise but the components all feel very pleasant, and while you can't just read through the rules and figure it all out (meaning, if you try to go through the setup and straight into the game there will be some flipping back and forth) I think everything is clearly described somewhere in that little book.

It's not quite as obviously gorgeous and elegant as Not Alone, but it is delightfully charming. I'm already hoping to play it a few more times today.

Surfpossum on
      • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
        Magic Pink wrote: »

We've only done the first room of the first scenario but found it completely simple on Normal. Cleared all the bandits with no damage so far and only one rest period each.

How did yall accomplish that

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
        Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan

dunno. part of it was bad draws for the enemies, they just sat and defended for three of the five rounds. part of it may be we have some rules wrong; it was our first play

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
        Just read about Monstrology on SU&SD news. In Kickstarter at the moment and looks like good silly fun. I can see it having a nice niche as a more silly Mysterium alternate for when play time is limited.

MhCw7nZ.gif
      • antheremantherem Registered User regular

dunno. part of it was bad draws for the enemies, they just sat and defended for three of the five rounds. part of it may be we have some rules wrong; it was our first play

Yeah, the bad draws can happen - the room 1 monsters have one or two "turtle" type cards in the deck (but remember a monster deck doesn't reshuffle unless a card has the reshuffle symbol on it)

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
        Just read about Monstrology on SU&SD news. In Kickstarter at the moment and looks like good silly fun. I can see it having a nice niche as a more silly Mysterium alternate for when play time is limited.

Man this game looks really fun... Tempted to back it even though it would rarely get the table.

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
        Oh man, 1970s infomercial for wargames.

Pretty much every strategy wargame from the 70s and 80s were those hex based cardboard chit deals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNDe_JDew1E#t=200

Another historical tidbit was that strategy war boardgames actually started as a tabletop miniature game designed by H.G. Wells!

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12067/little-wars

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

It's a shame the art isn't better really

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
      • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
        Well not really. Legacy games are one and done because their gimmick is permanently physically altering things. This is just like any other campaign game. You'll lose the thrill of the unknown on a replay but the gameplay mechanics will all still be there and the random deck based elements will change things up a bit if you go through them again.
        For the Lord of the Rings LCG, they later added "Nightmare Mode" mini-decks that alter the existing scenarios. They are generally far cheaper than a scenario pack and contain a handful of cards that you either substitute in for existing cards in the scenario or simply add to the scenario total. The story of the scenarios is pretty much the same, but the Nightmare Mode adds some novelty and new challenges to the gameplay aspect. It also helps combat the power creep. The more cards you buy, the more highly tuned your decks becomes, so some of the scenarios will become breezy after a few expansions.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
      • ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
        antherem wrote: »

Yeah, the bad draws can happen - the room 1 monsters have one or two "turtle" type cards in the deck (but remember a monster deck doesn't reshuffle unless a card has the reshuffle symbol on it)

We just had a breeze-through scenario as well but it was more due to scenario layout+character selection than luck of the card draw:
        We are currently running Brute and Cragheart for characters, and in Scenario
        #8, Gloomhaven Warehouse
        The 2nd room of three is laid out with obstacles in such a way that there's just one path through the room, one tile wide, and 2 Living Corpses a bit up the path. We were able to orchestrate it so that the Brute pushed the first living corpse back into the channel and the Cragheart created an obstacle blocking its forward movement, and since LCs move so slow, a few turns later the Cragheart was able to break through the wall of obstacles then throw a new one down, blocking the other end of their path as well. This completely neutralized them as a threat (as far as I know they dont have a range attack, none came up for us anyways) and in fact they occasionally took damage as they have at least one card that hurts themselves. It left us with tons of cards to use for the final encounter which we laughably stomped all over. Looking at the map this strategy wouldn't have worked for 3 or more players as there'd be too many monsters to corral, but damn we were just so happy and smug that it worked especially as we've been having rather close, down-to-the-last card wins (and a couple losses) otherwise.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
        Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

It's a shame the art isn't better really

Obviously this is totally subjective, but I think the art is super endearing myself.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
        I think I've ear-marked Arkham Card Game for the next game for me and Mrs Jam to play together.

So not getting it any time soon as we're still well into MvM!

Still going well. We seem to be into a groove of taking two attempts at each mission which I guess means we learn from our mistakes! Lava wall mission beat us tonight. Really quite frustrating if a minion pops up directly next to the bomb as it feels so random and uncontrollable. I guess you can try and avoid having the bomb end on spaces that aren't near a spawn tile but that's much easier said than done.

MhCw7nZ.gif
      • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
        My Mod Podge is here. Somehow, I'm going to seal up Skull.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
        Mint Works arrives in North Carolina!

Also, shipping notice for Anachrony received, estimating delivery on Thursday.

HYYYYYYYYYYYPE.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
      • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
        My copy of mint works arrived! I received a tracking number, but it appeared to never leave the facility. It was a fun surprise.

also, just got shipping notice for Anachrony whooooooo

Steam
        Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
        Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
        3ds: 3282-2248-0453
      • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
        Forgot to mention that when the wife and I played Mint Works, she kept wanting to eat her mints. I just bought her a tin today to hopefully satiate her minty desires.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
        Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
        Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
        Steam ID
        Twitch Page
      • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
        So long as she doesn't get them confused.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
      • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
        OptimusZed wrote: »
        So long as she doesn't get them confused.

I think Mint Works is going to finally beat those butterscotch-looking tokens from Citadels for "game component most likely to be accidentally eaten".