As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2017 Information, FAQ, and Q&A Thread (Ask Questions Here!)

• LejicLejic Registered User regular
    Lazorz wrote: »
    Lejic wrote: »
    Sorry for the random Q but I didn't want to make a new thread in the main PAX forum.

Do they sell regular PA merch at PAX at all, or is it only PAX-merch? For example would they have a selection of the t-shirts currently on sale on the website?
    Yeah, you'll find those at the Expo Hall merch booth, which is typically located by the main entrance escalators into expo. There will be maps released in the coming weeks where you'll be able to find the booth's exact location. Off the top of my head, the website merch available last year was everything from the various t-shirts to crewnecks like the Video Games one to Strip Search blu-rays to posters... a pretty good amount of PA stuff.

Oh that's awesome to hear! :) Thank you!

zerzhul wrote: »
    Lejic wrote: »
    Sorry for the random Q but I didn't want to make a new thread in the main PAX forum.
    This is a perfectly reasonable question for this thread :)

Thanks zerzhul! I wasn't sure. :)

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    In general if you have a mobility issue or a medical issue that makes it difficult to stand in lines for long periods of time, you are best off going to registration first thing Friday and applying for a medical badge to add to your general admission badge(s).
    Thanks for the recommendation Zerzhul (and for the chair idea robirex). I've tried to dig up what information I could on medical badges but there doesn't seem to be too much other than "inquire further at X email address" or just that we need to pick one up the morning we go. I have an email in for more information, but for purposes of time can anyone tell me if we need to bring any kind of documentation? I want to make sure my wife has enough time to stop by her doctors before PAX and get whatever we need.

A woman at 37 weeks is a pretty obvious open-and-shut case around needing a badge unless you have a history of watermelon-related theft.

schuss on
  • Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    ...unless you have a history of watermelon-related theft.
    Fine... take my medical badge back.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • theadman2315theadman2315 PhillyRegistered User regular
    I'm coming up from philly via car. I could possibly pick a person or 2 up on my way up, is there a thread for ride sharing?

Chickens can fly
    I've seen it
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm coming up from philly via car. I could possibly pick a person or 2 up on my way up, is there a thread for ride sharing?
    not that I know of. you could start one!

• divisiontendivisionten Registered User regular

Butts! I live in Philly and would totally covered your gas. Already booked a flight though.

• theadman2315theadman2315 PhillyRegistered User regular

Butts! I live in Philly and would totally covered your gas. Already booked a flight though.

booked a flight? the acela express goes straight up to boston, I think it's even faster than driving in a car at like 4 hours.

Chickens can fly
    I've seen it
  • divisiontendivisionten Registered User regular

booked a flight? the acela express goes straight up to boston, I think it's even faster than driving in a car at like 4 hours.

8 hours and more expensive. My flight was $150 round trip and included a checked bag.

• thorkonthorkon Registered User regular
    Do we know what bands are playing for the night shows?

• deestardeestar [E]nforcer PAXEast Vermont Registered User regular
    thorkon wrote: »
    Do we know what bands are playing for the night shows?

Given the after party announcement by McFrontalot, and Protomen I suspect they are two of the bands playing but we don't know for sure since the official band lineups have not been announced yet.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Now that we're one month out, any idea when the schedule will show up?

Soon^tm

I would guess a preliminary schedule would show up around next week, but that's a total guess.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Maps and stuff show up a week or two prior to the big day, and Gabe will do a pin overview usually the week of the convention for you pin fiends.

YL9WnCY.png
  • LejicLejic Registered User regular
    Maps and stuff show up a week or two prior to the big day, and Gabe will do a pin overview usually the week of the convention for you pin fiends.

That's so faaaar from now. I am antsy already!

Only 25 days left. So close, yet so far...

• lauren0rzlauren0rz Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Now that we're one month out, any idea when the schedule will show up?

"Hopefully in the next week or so" - https://twitter.com/Official_PAX/status/830869518541025280 @ 12pm today

qtjvjrS.png
  • casstronautcasstronaut Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Don't know if this is the right spot for this, but how do you get those cool signature icons that show what years you've attended?

Nvm, just figured out Zerzhul's signature links to it!

casstronaut on
    Don't know if this is the right spot for this, but how do you get those cool signature icons that show what years you've attended?

Nvm, just figured out Zerzhul's signature links to it!
    :hydra:
    Also, the thread for it is here: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/206774/pax-forum-signature-mini-badges/p1

• lonelymonklonelymonk Registered User new member
    I have been attending PAX East for years running miniature tournaments and demos in the tabletop area.. I have emailed the contact from last year multiple time about running demos this year. I have not been able to get any reply or answer....

Help.....

• MagneticImageMagneticImage Registered User regular
    Anyone know when the Westin skybridge will allow access?

I know the queue areas have to be completely cleared but are we talking 11am or 1pm?

I believe last year it was around 11am-ish.

• klzklz Registered User regular
    lonelymonk wrote: »
    I have been attending PAX East for years running miniature tournaments and demos in the tabletop area.. I have emailed the contact from last year multiple time about running demos this year. I have not been able to get any reply or answer....

Help.....

I wonder if it's the same thing that happened to me. I demoed with one of the vendors and they let me know that there is a change this year with demo table space and they have to cancel the plans we were making. I have other contacts I will be checking in with, but the late change likely threw off a few other vendors as well. I have a backup option anyway, but I really do enjoy running demos.

• DrainDrain [E] Tabletop Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    There was a reminder made by me that if an exhibitor has demo content it must be inside their booth... not in the Freeplay area. Several exhibitors ignored this rule for several years despite being told no each year during setup. The message finally got through.

Don't get me wrong, demos are cool and good but not in my Freeplay area.

N9pjfAk.png
    "I don't know why people ever, ever try to stop nerds from doing things. It's really the most incredible waste of time." - Tycho
  • lonelymonklonelymonk Registered User new member
    Wow, less than 2 hours after I posted here, I got a reply...

Not sure it was dumb luck, Kharma or someone noticed and pulled a string....

Shrug, doesn't matter I guess.

Thanks

• klzklz Registered User regular
    Drain wrote: »
    There was a reminder made by me that if an exhibitor has demo content it must be inside their booth... not in the Freeplay area. Several exhibitors ignored this rule for several years despite being told no each year during setup. The message finally got through.

Don't get me wrong, demos are cool and good but not in my Freeplay area.

That makes sense. Wasn't aware of that from my end, otherwise I would have tried to coordinate differently to make sure things were done correctly. I'll keep it in mind with my other contacts too.

• SilentCrescendoSilentCrescendo Registered User new member
    edited February 2017
    I don't know how to edit a comment that I made a few days ago. Is there any way to edit a comment after 24 hours?

SilentCrescendo on
  • MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Have badgers been mailed out yet?

They normally arrive 4-5 weeks before the event, ya?

asking for a friend...
    <.<
    >.>

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
    MMMig wrote: »
    >.>

Some have been. Did you receive an e-mail with a tracking number?

edited February 2017

asking for a friend...
    <.<
    >.>
    https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/209737/bobcats-received

They usually arrive 2-3 weeks prior, and as close as 1 week prior for some people.

zerzhul on
  • slf3330slf3330 Registered User new member
    What time do you recommend arriving at the convention on Friday morning? I know the doors open at 8am and the Expo Hall opens at 10am but I'm sure there will be a line before that.

• MrBroadstoneMrBroadstone Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    People line up in front of the building at crazy early hours. At West I've heard of people in line years past at 4 AM. No idea of some security guard or Boston Police will tell you to leave if you show up at some ridiculously early hour. 7 might be safe if you want to hope to be first but not potentially get told to leave.

MrBroadstone on
    slf3330 wrote: »
    What time do you recommend arriving at the convention on Friday morning? I know the doors open at 8am and the Expo Hall opens at 10am but I'm sure there will be a line before that.

Is there something you have to see asap? If you arrive at 7am, you're waiting outside for an hour, inside for 2 hours, and then possibly longer depending on if you're going to a panel or expo hall. Don't expect to be able to sit for any extended period during this time.

asking for a friend...
    <.<
    >.>
    https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/209737/bobcats-received

They usually arrive 2-3 weeks prior, and as close as 1 week prior for some people.

Ah thanks!
    Based on that thread's responses some are getting their badgers without getting an email with tracking.

It being 3 weeks away I normally got them 4-5 weeks in past years so I was getting nervous.

I SHALL HOLD FIRM!

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    slf3330 wrote: »
    I showed up for the queue once, and I'll never do it again. If there is something you want to do that you are sure will have a crazy long wait, then get there early for it. Otherwise, that wait isn't worth it in my opinion. I usually meet up with some friends for beermosas around 8:30, then walk over around 9:30/9:45, getting there shortly after 10. by that time, they're flushing the queues (if they haven't already).

Keep in mind that security will take a long time to get through, especially Saturday.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
    edited February 2017
    Aye the line gets REALLY long early in the morning and you're stuck outside in the cold.

It's really only worth it if you NEED to get to the Expo Hall super early (some do it to avoid 2 hour lines for the most popular games but you're just trading waiting out in the cold to waiting in a packed expo line), or one of your MUST-SEE panels are the first or second hour (2nd hour panels will start queuing quickly depending on popularity).

Otherwise, no real reason to get there before doors open.

Or I guess you can also play the "pick out the scalper" game out in the cold.
    0c945d33a0bfa373c2aee5760311ea38.jpg

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • ltgruntltgrunt Registered User regular
    For those of us who are picking up our badges, what are the days/times that we can do that? If I remember right I was able to pick up Thursday afternoon last year; just want to be sure about this year.

mkf6ad9.png
  • lauren0rzlauren0rz Registered User regular
    ltgrunt wrote: »
    For those of us who are picking up our badges, what are the days/times that we can do that? If I remember right I was able to pick up Thursday afternoon last year; just want to be sure about this year.

Will call is open from 1-7pm on Thursday. (Also 8am-8pm on Fri/Sat but it sounded like you were looking for Thurs. info :))

qtjvjrS.png
  • BigDumbHippyBigDumbHippy Registered User regular
    Can I drop off a set of badges for a friend at will call? He's not getting in till mid afternoon Friday.

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    No, you will have to arrange some other way to get your friend the badges.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • yutani sanyutani san MaineRegistered User regular
    Please tell me, am I reading the schedule wrong? Is Video Game Orchestra really missing again like back in 2015? :(:(:(

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    The band lineups have been changing more than in years past. No one is guaranteed to be at a given show (besides Frontalot apparently).

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?