As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

School Judiciary Problem

pinenut_canarypinenut_canary Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
This is a pretty long story, and I'm not sure how specific or general I should be, so I'll keep it pretty general at first, and if you guys ask, I'll provide the details.

Anyways, a guest writer has been writing a column for our university's newspaper every week or so. In my opinion, these articles are completely retarded with no logical or moral sense, and my friends agree. In fact sometimes these articles seem so bad that I think she's doing it on purpose just to cause controversy. There is a clear divide between people who agree with her and people who disagree with her, there happens to be two facebook groups, one pro and one con. There are a lot more people who are for her than against her. At my roommate's beckoning I join the anti-writer group. To anyone who does not know what facebook is, it's like myspace. There's a comment wall on the front page of the group, and everyone's written something, so I decided to write my own comment.

"I want to put out my cigarette in *********'s vagina."

At that time it seemed pretty clever and funny. Anyways, the other group finds out about our group, votes to shut it down, and succeeds. Then, a few days later (now), it's my time to register for classes, and I find out that I'm locked. So I check my email, and there's a notice saying that I have to hold a meeting with the university judicial officer about what I said because of "Alleged Violation of the Student Rights and Responsibilities Code".

Specifically, the email said this: "As University Judicial Officer, it is my responsibility to determine the validity of this allegation. In order to complete my review, I need to meet with you"

I know what I did was pretty immature, but my feeling right now is: "Are you serious? You're going to charge me for making a pussy comment? I mean c'mon, it's freaking college."

Now of course I do not actually want to put out my cigarettes in this person's vagina, I don't want to do anything to her.

I'm curious if anyone's been in a situation like this or knows of someone who has, and know what they went through. How serious is this? What should I say?

I know I should apologize and acknowledge that what I did was wrong, and that I would never do anything like that to anyone. But is there anything else?

Thanks.

pinenut_canary on

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Did you read to see what the actual Student Rights and Responsibilities Code says? It may give you a better idea of what rule you broke.

And people area getting fired over facebook profiles..so yeah, its smart not to write anything you wouldn't say outloud.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    TaterskinTaterskin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    When you see the University Judicial Officer, make sure you make it clear to them you understand what you did was wrong and want to rectify the situation quickly. Ask what needs to be done (maybe public apology or talking to the Dean of Students) and do it asap. There is probably a procedure they have to follow so there really isn't much you can do. You might get a slap on the wrist, but everything will be fine.

Taterskin on
  • Options
    SigmaConditionSigmaCondition Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You're going to want to look at it from the stand point that what you said obviously upset a large number of people, and that the girl who the comment was relating to could have taken it as a threat.
    Is it stupid? Yes. Is it something that any rational person would realize was just a joke (albeit poor taste)? Yes.
    Unfortunately, we both know that rational people are not exactly in great abundance in this world, so we have to take than into account when dealing with idiots. My advice is to go to the judicial officer, explain that what you did was stupid, immature and you realize that now. Hopefully, the officer will be reasonable and let you register anyways. You may end up on some sort of probabtion, but I don't think it will be much more than that. I would also go to the meeting with some copies of the other postings on the site (PRO site and CON site) and try to locate other postings that could be taken out of context as a threat. This is just incase he wants to make a big deal about it and push the issue.
    The other option you have is claiming that you did not put that post on the site, but if they can prove that you did then you might be screwed....

SigmaCondition on
  • Options
    Limp mooseLimp moose Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I got into a similar situation in college with a very biased sociology TA. I highly recommend you do not fight it and just put up with what ever BS they make you do. I fought it and it took an entire semester and resulted in me getting an incomplete in the class. All over some silly preceved slight.

Limp moose on
  • Options
    pinenut_canarypinenut_canary Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm about to go meet the judicial official in an hour. I'm going to say that what I did was immature and wrong, I would never ever do something like that to a living being, and that I would never say something like that again in public.

I hope I don't get punished and have to do community service or anything like that.
    I'll update you guys on what happened after the meeting. Thanks for all the help.

pinenut_canary on