As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - The Dickballs’ Advocate

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited February 2017 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - The Dickballs’ Advocate

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    Ryha2000Ryha2000 Game Designer/Engineer Boston MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Humm... Conan Exiles... yah, I spent some time playing it and there are the bones of a good game there. But some of the choices the devs are making are hard to understand. Particularly the slavery and racism (despite what character creation would have you believe your default penis size isn't 50% larger if you have black skin).

Sterica on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I feel like Crash is probably a mess down there...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    ironheadironhead Registered User regular
    I had never even heard of Conan Exiles before but the trailer looks great even for somebody generally burnt out and somewhat skeptical of MMOs these days. If it actually lives up to the hype and you can go from "barely alive bag of meat and bones" to "ruthless, god summoning conqueror" it should be a lot of fun.

• Options
    poipoigirlpoipoigirl Registered User regular
    No pants should be earned. lol

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    That trailer features a lot more crucifixion than I expected.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    i'll be damned if my tax dollars are going to pay for free pants-handouts for some shifty layabout who can't provide for themselves enough to holster their own downstairs shame-tackle.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    ironhead wrote: »
    I had never even heard of Conan Exiles before but the trailer looks great even for somebody generally burnt out and somewhat skeptical of MMOs these days. If it actually lives up to the hype and you can go from "barely alive bag of meat and bones" to "ruthless, god summoning conqueror" it should be a lot of fun.
    It's an MMO? I thought it was just a regular multiplayer game. You can run private servers.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    RottonappleRottonapple Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

great, now I have "bandicoot genitals" in my search history and need eye bleach. don't do it.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

great, now I have "bandicoot genitals" in my search history and need eye bleach. don't do it.

Can't be any worse than echidna, surely...?

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Gabe is canonically anti-no-pants.
    https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2001/06/06

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    ironhead wrote: »
    It's an MMO? I thought it was just a regular multiplayer game. You can run private servers.

It's a survival arena type thing built from the Age of Conan MMO remnants, I think.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Gabe is canonically anti-no-pants.
    https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2001/06/06

The Spectre of Continuty haunts his pants.

• Options
    Ryha2000Ryha2000 Game Designer/Engineer Boston MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Ok, I played in the early access a bit and here's what I have to say about the penis:

Mostly I think it's a solid survival game with some questionable design decisions.

Tube on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    You can't use this forum to promote your blog dude

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    The narrative I've seen relating to Conan Exiles is pretty much it's Boob and Penis Slider: The Game - Infinite Early Access Edition.

What else is there to this game?

Your fixation on countering the black skin penis size stereotype is also kind of amusing. Like... you had to have written over 500 words devoted to that topic in that piece. If you could not change the size of your penis as nature intended, perhaps that argument would have more girth to it? It's just... does it really even matter?

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Including that stereotype is a shitty, racist joke and there's no reason for it to be included in the game.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Tube wrote: »
    Including that stereotype is a shitty, racist joke and there's no reason for it to be included in the game.

Not really sure why there's a reason to include penis slider in the game period, tbh...

But, if in addition to the penis being larger by default, the black characters were also framed as being more sexually ravenous the argument that its inclusion is racist would carry more weight. Or perhaps evidence that non-black males in the society in this game are more prone to kill and/or desire to castrate or otherwise emasculate the black equivalent characters to protect their women. Do the female NPCs have a preference based off this preconception? There are layers to that particular stereotype and such that that his writing doesn't address, and those are what actually drive its usage from being "racist" depiction or not.

It's the difference between a black character knowingly nodding that he's got a big package, and that character knowingly nodding that he's got a big package and is also the only character with a crippling sex addiction. Because that's the point when it starts to slide into the negative territory. Having a big penis by default doesn't necessarily mean they're running a Mandingo simulator. Is there any evidence of that in the game?

All he does in his writing is state "this is false, and here's a chart that says so. Also, it's racist." So IDK. Based off what I've seen and what he wrote, the complaint runs shallow.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    The joke requires zero extra material to be perpetuating a shitty racial stereotype. It is, on its own, a stupid thing to put in the game.