As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Good techno

GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I've been having a real hard time finding some decent techno out there. It's starting to become a real pain to filter the few gems from the mountains of crap I have to go through.

To give you at taste at what i'm in the market for, Pendulum's "Fasten Your Seatbelts" and Prodigy's "Skylined" are two examples of the type of techno I am looking for.

Anyone?

Godfather on

• Options
    Re: nholderRe: nholder Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Pitchshifter

Although it might not "count," in relation to your examples, Fischerspooner is also worth a try.

Telefon Tel Aviv (more ambient)

Aphex Twin (again, somewhat related)

Ladytron?

I tried.

Re: nholder on
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Orbital's pretty safe. The brown album (or Orbital 2) has some notables, like Halcyon.

If you are feeling a bit more adventurous, you could try Boards of Canada's "Music has the Right to Children".

If you are feeling really really adventurous, then there's Squarepusher. Brilliant but schizophrenic sound, often with insane rhythmic patterns. His early albums and the latest "Hello Everything" are a bit easier to get into, and "Big Loada" is probably at spastic best. I believe Aphex Twin is fairly heavily influenced by him.

Savant on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Sounds good so far. Keep 'em coming.

On a side note, nobody recommend Sandstorm or Children.

Please.

Godfather on
  • Options
    Re: nholderRe: nholder Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Another quick post before bedtime. All of these I'd say are close to what you would like, but nothing directly related.

I'm shooting in random places here to see what happens.

Soulwax

Justice

The Faint (more rock oriented, but still great)

UNKLE

Alright, I'm delirious and deviating too much. Hope you like a few of them.

Re: nholder on
  • Options
    TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Sorry, never heard those songs by Prodigy or Pendulum, so I know quite a bit about those artists, and I know Orbital very well, so I'm basing my suggestion here off of what I concluded here.

Ferry Corsten. Got some sweet shit. Give a listen to something like Whatever, or LEF, or Fire, good songs.

Topia on
  • Options
    flatlinegraphicsflatlinegraphics Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    chemical brothers
    moby
    portishead
    squarepusher
    sneakerpimps
    basement jaxx
    pitchshifter
    massive attack

flatlinegraphics on
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Aphex Twin
    Daft Punk

My friend had a box set that I think was called Tunnel Trance Force and track 6 on that cd is the greatest electronica song ever. I think it's called Lullaby.

Edit: Also Underworld. Their first two albums Mmmmm Skyscraper I Love You and Beaucoup Fish were great.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    DJ Tiesto
    DJ Mystik
    Paul Oakenfold
    DJ Quicksilver

Really any of those. Tiesto is easily the best in the business though.

urahonky on
  • Options
    meekermeeker Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Fellhand wrote: »
    Edit: Also Underworld. Their first two albums Mmmmm Skyscraper I Love You and Beaucoup Fish were great.

I think you mean Dubnobasswithmyheadman, on which Skyscraper is a single.

Try also:
    Chemical Brothers
    Juno Reactor
    Leftfield
    Future Sound of London
    Kraftwerk
    The Orb
    DJ Shadow
    LCD Soundsystem
    Massive attack

meeker on
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    meeker wrote: »
    I think you mean Dubnobasswithmyheadman, on which Skyscraper is a single.

You're right, and also mentioned FSoL. I haven't heard them in a while.

Might want to check out Eric Prydz too.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Man, you Americans have no idea what constitutes techno and what is just dance music.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    meekermeeker Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »
    Man, you Americans have no idea what constitutes techno and what is just dance music.

Sure I generalized.

Music contains upbeat tempos. Check.
    Music is created with a synthetic sound or instruments. Check.

I was just trying to recommend some similar sounding stuff he might like.

From Wikipedia:

Techno is a form of electronic dance music that had its early beginnings in Western Europe in the late 1970s and later developed and established as a genre in Detroit, Michigan during the 1980s

meeker on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    OP: Try going to www.pandora.com and making your own radio stations. Put in the things you like and it'll play music similar to them. That's generally how I find all my techno.

urahonky on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »

Pendulum isn't goddamn techno. And Moby is just goddawful. Anyone who likes Moby, I tell them to check out BT, since he actually cares about the music he makes.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    C'mon now... You can't lump me into that generalization!

urahonky on
  • Options
    jotatejotate Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Happy Hardcore

jotate on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Tiesto is pretty great, but I tend to like the tracks he works on with other people more than his single stuff. He's done a couple of tracks with BT that are really good, but the only one I can think of is In The Dark. No clue what album it comes from, unfortunately, as I get 98% of my techno music in the form of individual songs that I've heard on XM radio.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Get Tiesto's In Search of a Sunrise... Any of them. Probably the greatest CDs created. :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    In Search of Sunrise is great. I also LOVE George Acosta's orginal AWAKE. The sequel was lame.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Tiesto is pretty great, but I tend to like the tracks he works on with other people more than his single stuff. He's done a couple of tracks with BT that are really good, but the only one I can think of is In The Dark. No clue what album it comes from, unfortunately, as I get 98% of my techno music in the form of individual songs that I've heard on XM radio.

Tiesto & BT did "Love Comes Again", but I don't know if BT did production, or just the vocals.
    (BT's also a great vocalist, in my opinion.)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    KublaKhanKublaKhan Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Check out Justice definitely if you haven't already, just listen to "Phantom Pt.2" and I challenge anyone not to get pumped.
    Personally I really like Cosmic Gate, but they aren't for everyone, hard trance basically, check out "Earth Mover" to start.

Also, Hybrid, very good, check out "Choke" and "I Choose Noise" (the song not album)

KublaKhan on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    In Search of Sunrise is great. I also LOVE George Acosta's orginal AWAKE. The sequel was lame.

Oh shit yeah I forgot about that. I gotta pick that one up... My CDs were stolen in my car a while back... Including a ton of my good techno artists. :(

urahonky on
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Savant wrote: »
    I believe Aphex Twin is fairly heavily influenced by him.

Aphex Twin was making music YEARS before Squarepusher.

Sorry, I just love Aphex and his originality is almost purely his own creation.

There's some good techno here, I would only add:

Roni Size - touching down is a great album as is the song brown paper bag and several others. Check it out if you like Drum n Bass.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Tiesto & BT did "Love Comes Again", but I don't know if BT did production, or just the vocals.
    (BT's also a great vocalist, in my opinion.)
    Ah yes, this is a really good one too.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    tuscloud311tuscloud311 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    On the subject of BT:

There is a song called "Never gonna come back down" by BT and the dude from Soul Coughing. Evidentally it is from the "Gone in 60 Seconds" soundtrack (but upon watching the movie, the song isnt played once).

Do a quick youtube on it, easily my favorite "techno" song. Of course, if youre looking for a more non-vocal techno, then i would stay away from it, as it sounds like a real....song, instead of beat.

Just thought i would throw that in since i saw BT's name.

tuscloud311 on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    As that happens to be the song that made me a BT fan, I try to keep that video handy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vyq40R2oa6U

BT & M. Doughty, fyi.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Sqaurepusher and Aphex Twin are actually personal friends with each other. They are both worth checking out. Aphex Twin comes from a more experimental electronica angle and SP is more heavily jazz influenced Their only real simialrites are both of thei music stles are totally unique.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    On the subject of BT:

There is a song called "Never gonna come back down" by BT and the dude from Soul Coughing. Evidentally it is from the "Gone in 60 Seconds" soundtrack (but upon watching the movie, the song isnt played once).

Do a quick youtube on it, easily my favorite "techno" song. Of course, if youre looking for a more non-vocal techno, then i would stay away from it, as it sounds like a real....song, instead of beat.

Just thought i would throw that in since i saw BT's name.

Blonde English girls named Cherise, I love that shit.
    Sqaurepusher and Aphex Twin are actually personal friends with each other. They are both worth checking out. Aphex Twin comes from a more experimental electronica angle and SP is more heavily jazz influenced Their only real simialrites are both of thei music stles are totally unique.

They've actually done a CD together. It is called "Mike & Rich: Expert Knob Twiddlers" or something like that. Squarepusher is a traditional bassist who got into electronic music because he couldn't make the music he wanted to otherwise. I'm sure his opinion has changed since, but he used to say that he hated using computers.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Wow. I'm really enjoying BT. I'm surprised I've never heard of him.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    If you want what I consider to be the best sampling of BT's work, album-wise, look for R&R(Rare and Remixed). It's got a little something from all his albums(including Flaming June, Remember, and one trippy remix of Never Gonna Come Back Down), as well as remixes of other peoples' songs(Seal, Sarah McLachlan, etc.).

His single best album is Movement In Still Life, but R&R is tough competition.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    Get Tiesto's In Search of a Sunrise... Any of them. Probably the greatest CDs created. :)

I must second this, especially ISoS2. Tiesto is what made me go from "techno fucking sucks" to "holy crap techno can be great."

Also, check out the stations on www.di.fm, I'm hooked on their Trance channel, although you can probably find something you like there too.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I should really get some Aphex Twin.

I don't know if it classifies as techno or what-have-you, but Juno Reactor, oh God yes yes yes.

Kami on
  • Options
    FabricateFabricate __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    None of the stuff here is techno, please for the love of god learn your genres before you start labeling shit.
    I can understand while people can be against microlabeling genres but its kind of important in this case.

TECHNO:
    Richie Hawtin
    Ricardo Villalobos
    Magda
    Minilogue
    Radioslave
    James Holden
    Anything on the Label Kompakt
    phonique
    steve bug
    Stephan Bodzin
    Umek
    Thomas Schumacher
    Lützenkirchen (sometimes electro)
    BUTCH
    Dubfire

Tech House -
    The new Sasha stuff on his label emfire (Coma and park it in the shade)
    Trentemoller (Sometimes electro house, sometimes minimal house, all the time awesome)
    Robert Babicz
    Gui Boratto
    Guy Gerber
    Samim
    Marc Romboy
    Martin Buttrich (somteimes techno)
    BOOKA SHADE
    ZOO BRAZIL

Electro House:
    Eric Prydz (somtimes tech house somteimes prog house)
    JUSTICE
    JOHN DAHLBÄCK

Progressive House:
    Jody Wisternoff
    Nick Warren
    Way Out West (Somtimes Progressive Breaks)
    Gabriel & Dresden
    Josh Gabriel (His new single Summit is awesome)
    Deadmau5 (somtimes electro house)
    BT (also pioneered trance in the 90's, big beat and breakbeat in early 00's, and prog house, and now his album TBU is really really cool and undefinable)

Other:
    Aphex Twin (IDM)
    Amon Tobin (IDM)

These are the genres I listen to a lot, these are artists that are consistently good imo.
    www.beatport.com - buy music here, look for music here. There are underground jems hidden in the garbage.

I make music too, click the note in my sig.

You're welcome

Fabricate on
  • Options
    KealohaKealoha Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Infected Mushroom
    Ratatat

Two pretty good stuffs.

Kealoha on
    !! ! ! !!
  • Options
    Acolyte57Acolyte57 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Fabricate wrote: »
    None of the stuff here is techno, please for the love of god learn your genres before you start labeling shit. I can understand while people can be against microlabeling genres but its kind of important in this case.
    Actually, it's only important if the OP knows the difference between the genres... or you might be recommending 'real techno' when what he wants is something entirely else.

Acolyte57 on
    101 little bugs in the file / 101 little bugs / take one out and recompile / 102 little bugs in the file
  • Options
    ChenjesuChenjesu Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You should check out Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music. It's a guide to the various genres, sub-genres, and sub-sub-genres for electronic music. It has a bit on the history and distinguishing features of the music types, and each sub-sub-genre has between two to nine samples of representative songs. I've found a few good songs and artists through that.

Chenjesu on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Fabricate wrote:
    None of the stuff here is techno, please for the love of god learn your genres before you start labeling shit.

Nothing worse than a elitist techno nerd. :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've been assembling a Pandora station for that purpose. It took some time, but it's getting to where I only hear the good stuff. You might want to check it (and Pandora) out.

MKR on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    If you want what I consider to be the best sampling of BT's work, album-wise, look for R&R(Rare and Remixed). It's got a little something from all his albums(including Flaming June, Remember, and one trippy remix of Never Gonna Come Back Down), as well as remixes of other peoples' songs(Seal, Sarah McLachlan, etc.).

His single best album is Movement In Still Life, but R&R is tough competition.

I really liked his last album This Binary Universe but it's much more ambient and weird than his other stuff.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    FabricateFabricate __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    Fabricate wrote:

Nothing worse than a elitist techno nerd. :)

Knowing genres helps distinguish what it is you actually listen to and makes it easier to find what you like. Using techno as an umbrella term for anything made electronically or with synthesizers is as dumb as calling anything made with guitars rock music.

Fabricate on