As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Refusing to sell cigarettes to a pregnant woman

2»

Posts

  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS
    edited November 2007
    Good then the thread is solved. OP has announced that he has reached his decided course of action. Anyone who wants to discuss the rights and wrongs of selling things can go to a discussion forum to do it.

    ViolentChemistry on
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If you feel uncomfortable with one of the duties your job requires you to do, then it isn't the job for you.

    I mean, I can completely understand where the both of you come from here, but doing that sort of thing is what you signed on to do.

    If it means enough to you to make a deal out of, jobs at places that dont sell cigarrettes are probably the best option, though the 'new job' idea is just an eho.

    [edit] Mod beat'd

    Rend on
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Fort1tude wrote: »
    There are ways and means of giving a fuck about someone without being antagonistic. A more civilised approach would have been to talk to her about it in a casual manner at another time rather than being judgmental at the point of sale (especially dealing with addicts - the time when they are purchasing their particular vice, is likely to be the worst time to discuss it with them as they are most probably on their way down at that point and will thus be more emotionally charged).

    But I dont care enough to talk with her, I am just going to live and let live. How hard is it for everyone to understand that when I say I am not going to give a fuck about what she does or doesnt do that I dont mean to attach some passive aggressive bullshit to it?

    I thought we were talking about your brother?

    But my point stands either way. You obviously do give a fuck, because by your own admission your morals dictate as such.

    Szechuanosaurus on
  • Fort1tudeFort1tude Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Narian wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Fort1tude wrote: »
    Why does everyone have to assume all co-workers must get along? You are right though, it would be spiteful and immature to do that. I will just adopt a "What do I care if she fucks up her child" attitude because it doesnt affect me.
    I have coworkers I don't get along with. What I don't do is make passive aggressive statement at them because I don't like them. I mind my business, they mind theirs, and work goes on better for it because there aren't any petty arguments and bickering diturbing customers, putting people into bad moods, lowering morale, and generally lowering the efficiency.

    People who have to work together have to be able to work together. They don't have to be a whole crew of BFFs or any nonsense, but you can't have passive-aggressive bullshit flying around.

    From reading Fort's posts ,I do not think that his brother was refusing to sell her cigarettes because he hated her or wanted to do some passive-aggressive bullshit as you say, but because he didn't want to sell a pregnant woman cigarettes.

    And Fort, as you said, I'd suggest getting out of a job like the one you have currently because not matter how morally wrong something may be, capitalism will triumph.

    I am most definitely planning on it, I hate sales. Its why I left gateway, they wanted me to meet an average of 10 dollars per call in sales. Mind you answers by gateway is gateways only tech support line that you have to pay for by the minute (or get a year subscription), and I was hired on as a tech, they have their own sales department.

    Fort1tude on
    Steam ID - Fort1tude
  • Fort1tudeFort1tude Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Fort1tude wrote: »
    There are ways and means of giving a fuck about someone without being antagonistic. A more civilised approach would have been to talk to her about it in a casual manner at another time rather than being judgmental at the point of sale (especially dealing with addicts - the time when they are purchasing their particular vice, is likely to be the worst time to discuss it with them as they are most probably on their way down at that point and will thus be more emotionally charged).

    But I dont care enough to talk with her, I am just going to live and let live. How hard is it for everyone to understand that when I say I am not going to give a fuck about what she does or doesnt do that I dont mean to attach some passive aggressive bullshit to it?

    I thought we were talking about your brother?

    But my point stands either way. You obviously do give a fuck, because by your own admission your morals dictate as such.

    I thought I read a "you" in there, sorry. And I am going to not give a fuck because it is my job to not give a fuck.

    Fort1tude on
    Steam ID - Fort1tude
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS
    edited November 2007
    Discussion goes somewhere else!

    ViolentChemistry on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2007
    Yes, that's right, this is the help and advice forum. You can tell by the friendly and constructive way that the moderators post.

    Tube on
    Hobnail wrote: »
    This forum has taken everything from me
    This hurts but I deserve it

  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2007
    In fact I dislike H&A threads being hijacked so much that I went back over the thread and tried to determine who it was that hijacked it and dragged it into the mire of stupidity. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that it was you. Bravo VC, bravo.

    Maybe I should make an H&A thread. "Stuck with group of mindless cunts as moderators, what to do?"

    Tube on
    Hobnail wrote: »
    This forum has taken everything from me
    This hurts but I deserve it

  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS
    edited November 2007
    I didn't know the thread got hijacked. It looked to me like the person who posted it was getting sick of repeating over and over "look I'm just going to let it go alright" and the only further function it had at that point was as a discussion thread, so I closed it. And there's a rule in H/A where people have to take up issues they have with moderation decisions via PM rather than in the thread.

    ViolentChemistry on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, that rule doesn't apply to me. Call it a perk.

    Tube on
    Hobnail wrote: »
    This forum has taken everything from me
    This hurts but I deserve it

  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS
    edited November 2007
    Calling that a perk would be pretty goddamn depressing, frankly.

    ViolentChemistry on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2007
    I also get free tickets to Mets games

    Tube on
    Hobnail wrote: »
    This forum has taken everything from me
    This hurts but I deserve it

  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS
    edited November 2007
    I also get free tickets to Mets games

    That's not as bad. They're a kind of sausage, right?

    ViolentChemistry on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2007
    Yeah I don't really know. I mean, I live in England.

    Tube on
    Hobnail wrote: »
    This forum has taken everything from me
    This hurts but I deserve it

This discussion has been closed.