As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bad Food "Thread": Things Man Was Not Meant To Digest

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    I generally enjoy shitty hot dogs and sausages, but BAR-S are just the worst. The texture is like sawdust for most of their products.

also I have found them to be extremely salty, with very little actual meat flavor

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I don't know why you're putting scare quotes around sausages

sausages are historically made from pretty heinous cuts of meat. If anything, a fancy hoity toity sausage is less of an "actual" sausages than something made from offcuts and filler

It might seem a bit classist, but the BAR-S package of 14 sausages for $4 fills with me some doubt on how sausage-like their sausages can be when compared to a package of five to six Hillshire sausages with spices & such in them for a much higher price point.

I just don't think you can use "Sausage-like" as a declaration of quality

sausages can be made out of anything! being cheap and shitty certainly doesn't make it not a sausage.

https://youtu.be/OzeDZtx3wUw

BahamutZERO.gif
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Our local butcher has won multiple awards for his sausages. And rightly so, they're very good.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

I know it's late night commericals but the middle toy looks like a blood clot filter
    Which I got curious about and learned that someone messed up really bad and the company has poor quality control

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Zonugal was this the same night you posted a picture of SIX HOT DOGS and a bunch of PBR? Because can I just say, I know this thread is a judgment-free zone, but uhh, the hot dog itself may not be the culprit here.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Zonugal was this the same night you posted a picture of SIX HOT DOGS and a bunch of PBR? Because can I just say, I know this thread is a judgment-free zone, but uhh, the hot dog itself may not be the culprit here.

Nah, I felt great after that night.

Those were Hillshire sausages which treat my body with tender love & care.

ALSO, YOU JUDGING MY LIFESTYLE!?!?!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

No, the Mario Party rankings do that for us.

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Did somebody say sausages?

https://youtu.be/sON0He2mTC8

BLM - ACAB
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

No, the Mario Party rankings do that for us.

large.png

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCGpJaHwehw

Someone made something just for @Veldrin

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Oh, no.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    no foil on the bottom of that oven

gonna be a bad time cleaning that up

2x39jD4.jpg
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    foil...

on the bottom of the oven?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • KadithKadith Registered User regular
    this is your semi regular reminder that using aluminum foil as a liner for ovens and range tops is a fire hazard

don't do it.

zkHcp.jpg
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    foil...

for to catch the cheese and such as it melts off of ones pizzas and what not

cause screw cleaning an oven

2x39jD4.jpg
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    foil...

Yo as someone that worked in appliance product safety, don't do this.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I just put a baking tray underneath anything that's being cooked directly on the oven shelf

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular

i have seen how you live

i will judge you

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    foil...

I usually just wrap the heating elements in kerosene-soaked cheesecloth.

Coincidentally, anyone know how to disable smoke alarms?!

Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    foil...

I usually just wrap the heating elements in kerosene-soaked cheesecloth.

Coincidentally, anyone know how to disable smoke alarms?!

People have tried to dry oil-soaked rags in a clothes dryer, without washing them first.

People are not the smartest.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Way to dodge my question about smoke alarms! I'll just let the batteries run out.

Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Way to dodge my question about smoke alarms! I'll just let the batteries run out.

Oh, just cover them with kerosene soaked rags.

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I just buy a dedicated oven liner that I can lay on the bottom of the oven underneath the electric coil 24/7 and then replace in months/years once it's coated in enough crap that I can smell it burning whenever I preheat my oven

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Or use a baking tray?

Like the easiest answer is just there.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    Or use a baking tray?

Like the easiest answer is just there.

And also just give the bottom of the oven a quick wipe with a damp kitchen cloth every time after you use it. It takes 5 seconds.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Yo if you're not sucking a hot drink through your tim tam you're not actually experiencing Tim tams fyi

if you're not sure how, Natalie Imbruglia will teach you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMbrlxTIVtI

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I had a housemate during college who liked to make calzones. Incidentally, we lived in a not-great neighborhood, and so left our bbq in the kitchen.
    Anyway, Paul (the housemate) makes his calzone, but it's not sealed up real well, and is dripping cheese down onto the bottom of the hot oven. I yell at him for a quick second about it, but, unbeknownst to me, he doesn't put anything down.
    So the house fills with smoke, it's disgusting, we have the windows open, I'm hollering at him about putting foil down, it's just an ordeal.
    I got to my room, and a few minutes later, there's a real loud banging on the front door. I'm already pissed off, so I'm not in the mood to put up with some jackass salesman hammering our door. My attitude changed when I saw the crew of firemen in full dress on our front porch.
    "Paulie! It's for you..." Paul sticks his head around the corner with a big smile on his face 'cause hey, he got a tasty calzone and now a visitor. I can still remember the smile just instantly melting.
    Neighbor had called the FD 'cause they thought we were bar-be-queing in the kitchen.

Always put something down to catch melting cheese, and never keep your bbq in the kitchen. Thus endeth the lessons.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    When I was just a wee college freshman, I tried to make some Bagel Bites in my dorm room at around midnight (you see, when pizza is on a bagel, society's tyrannical insistence on "normal" meal times no longer apply.) I popped them in the microwave and set the timer for two and a half minutes, as instructed on the box, and then went back to playing Black & White.

I had inherited the family microwave from my parents when I went off to college, which was manufactured in the mid '80s by a company that no longer exists. It didn't have any power settings, just a timer knob. Apparently over the intervening 20 years, a number of health and safety regulations had altered the default power levels of consumer-grade microwaves. The instructions on the back of the Bagel Bites box were in no way calibrated for the experimental Soviet components inside my microwave oven.

Shortly after the two minute mark, I began to detect a distressing odor in my dorm room. When I looked through the lead mesh of the microwave door, I saw nine charcoal briquettes emitting a great deal of smoke and, if my memory serves, oddly-colored flames. At this point, the fire alarm went off.

And that's how I and every other occupant of my dorm building ended up standing in the parking lot in our pajamas at midnight on a cold December Saturday.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    When I was just a wee college freshman, I tried to make some Bagel Bites in my dorm room at around midnight (you see, when pizza is on a bagel, society's tyrannical insistence on "normal" meal times no longer apply.) I popped them in the microwave and set the timer for two and a half minutes, as instructed on the box, and then went back to playing Black & White.

I had inherited the family microwave from my parents when I went off to college, which was manufactured in the mid '80s by a company that no longer exists. It didn't have any power settings, just a timer knob. Apparently over the intervening 20 years, a number of health and safety regulations had altered the default power levels of consumer-grade microwaves. The instructions on the back of the Bagel Bites box were in no way calibrated for the experimental Soviet components inside my microwave oven.

Shortly after the two minute mark, I began to detect a distressing odor in my dorm room. When I looked through the lead mesh of the microwave door, I saw nine charcoal briquettes emitting a great deal of smoke and, if my memory serves, oddly-colored flames. At this point, the fire alarm went off.

And that's how I and every other occupant of my dorm building ended up standing in the parking lot in our pajamas at midnight on a cold December Saturday.

I had a coworker who was microwaving a pizza pocket of some kind in the kitchen at work and they may have hit the 0 one or two times too many while inputting the time

Fast-forward to a strange burning smell on the sales floor, a coworker going in to investigate, shouting "holy fuck it's on fire" and running out the front door, while one of the technicians in the back walked in, hauled the microwave off the shelf, carried it (and its burning contents) out the back door and throwing it in the dumpster.

• BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    I put all my baked frozen bad foods on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Almost nothing sticks to parchment paper compared to foil when you want to lazily reheat frozen trash food in the oven.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    A friend at university accidentally bought an oven-cook chicken escalope when all we had were hobs

Turns out trying to pan-fry one of those babies from frozen generates enough smoke to set off the smoke alarms in the corridor next to the kitchen

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »

I had a coworker who was microwaving a pizza pocket of some kind in the kitchen at work and they may have hit the 0 one or two times too many while inputting the time

Fast-forward to a strange burning smell on the sales floor, a coworker going in to investigate, shouting "holy fuck it's on fire" and running out the front door, while one of the technicians in the back walked in, hauled the microwave off the shelf, carried it (and its burning contents) out the back door and throwing it in the dumpster.

I suspect I've already told this story too many times, but my sister managed to kill a microwave that was both 1) older than me and 2) had survived being dropped down a flight of stairs TWICE during moves, by misreading the instructions for warming up some tortillas for dinner by leaving out the decimal point in 1.5 minutes on "high"...

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Target had bags of 24 Reeses Cups on sale after Valentine's. They're in the freezer and I don't think it's going to survive the weekend.

MichaelLC on
  • I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Target had bags of 24 Reeses Cups on sale after Valentine's. They're in the freezer and I don't think it's going to survive the weekend.

Oh no, I forgot cheap candy day this year!

• the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2017
    more like BAR-F
    I Zimbra wrote: »

good news, friend. according to my calculations there will be three more discount candy days this year: easter, halloween, and christmas.

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »

My local Target got cleared out super fast this year, I checked it out after work on the 14th and the only worthwhile things left were these big Hershey's cupid things.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    It's a cheap candy day miracle! My Target was still pretty stocked so I got a Whitman's sampler, some heart-shaped York patties, and some mini cupcakes.

I don't know why I love cheap assorted chocolates so much, but I do.

This discussion has been closed.