As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] POST IN THE NEW THREAD!

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    So long as she doesn't get them confused.

I think Mint Works is going to finally beat those butterscotch-looking tokens from Citadels for "game component most likely to be accidentally eaten".

The Easter candy camels in Through the Desert are up there too.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

I think Mint Works is going to finally beat those butterscotch-looking tokens from Citadels for "game component most likely to be accidentally eaten".

I've never heard of camel-shaped candy before.

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular

Because you have to add the sun god, Ra.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »

Oh my fucking god this post

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular

That took me a while to get it, but when I did... I see what you did there!

• Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    I'm upset

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Freaking Gloomhaven. So i impulse bought this a couple weeks ago on amazon preorder and it showed up today. It is... large. holy shit. I havent opened it up yet because i may just toss it up on the auction block, but looking at the contents and setup/teardown time... im not sure if its the right game for me. Descent 2nd is a lot of prep and its no where near this scope. I do loves me some dungeon crawlin though.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I destroyed some of my Skull cards with Mod Podge. I'm not a hobbyist and most of it was my fault. First, I used a cardboard box to store the cards as they dried. That was a really bad move because they stuck to the cardboard, and lifting them up caused one to get ripped art in the corner. Don't worry, I didn't stack them.

What I can't explain is why they concaved as they dried.

I only worked on the square cards so its still kinda playable, but yeah, no bueno.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

That took me a while to get it, but when I did... I see what you did there!

I'm still lost.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Camel
    Ra

Ca
    Ra
    mel

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Camel
    Ra

Ca
    Ra
    mel

*facepalm*

sig.gif
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Camel
    Ra

Ca
    Ra
    mel

shame on you that is like three steps too far for a pun

also I mack the hell out of zombicide zombies they are the best om nom

• Options
    edited February 2017
    The Greater Than Games team is going to work with Green Ronin to produce a Mutants & Masterminds version of Sentinels of the Multiverse, "Sentinels of Earth-Prime". Playable by itself or as a cross-over with SotM.

Gonna pass on this personally, but if you're a M&M fan this might be interesting.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    I hope they get Raymond Perez to illustrate. Love that dude's style. Not the game for me, but M&M has some neat heroes and villains.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Yeah, don't really care for that. But if Marvel ever called up GTG to streamline SotM a bit for an adaptation (and fresh, consistent art), then that would be just swell.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Holy crap Mint Works is fun and fast! We played a 4 player game without advanced locales and then a 3 player game with. It came down to pretty much the last play in both games.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Athenor wrote: »
    Holy crap Mint Works is fun and fast! We played a 4 player game without advanced locales and then a 3 player game with. It came down to pretty much the last play in both games.

Gonna get my first play(s) in tonight as we wait for our TIME Stories team to assemble for Expedition: Endurance.

Should be a fun night!

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Played something like 4.5 hours of Gloomhaven on Sunday to do the first two scenarios. It was a lot of fun.
    Maybe it's a party-makeup or number of characters thing but the challenge in both scenarios was much more from optimizing damage dealt rather than dealing with damage sustained.
    Scenario 2 spoilers
    We took down the boss in 4 rounds, which went (for him): Summon Living Bones, Attack/Move, Open Door, Summon Living Bones.
    It took a lot longer to take out the bonus archers, those two skeletons, and the three living corpses. We had 3 characters (spellweaver, mindthief, and tinkerer). By the last round the mindthief and tinkerer were both out of cards (as in would become exhausted at the end of that round) and the spellweaver had exactly enough cards to take a long rest, have one round, then be exhausted. We won by way of getting lucky and pulling one of those "Living corpse takes 1 damage" attack/move cards for them in that last round whilst the spellweaver threw up hardened spikes so the last two corpses would bash themselves to death on her ice armor.

That said, we were all at full health. The mindthief had a bad first round inside the inner room when the elite archer pulled double damage on its first attack but that was very nearly the only damage taken other than by the tinkerer's harmless robot.

I have a general rules question:
    Is each player character supposed to use their full set of character-specific attack modifier cards from the get-go?
    (campaign starter class and scenario 2 spoilers)
    It may have just been luck of the draw but it seemed like the mindthief would burn through his deck really rapidly with piles of modifiers from all the X <and draw another card> cards. Which was great in the first scenario and then absolutely brutal in the second since half his attacks would end up hitting a curse card.

Oh, and an even more general question regarding ability cards:
    Some cards have one or two pale, colored dots out to the right of some of the attack/move items. Do they mean anything?

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Is each player character supposed to use their full set of character-specific attack modifier cards from the get-go?
    It may have just been luck of the draw but it seemed like the mindthief would burn through his deck really rapidly with piles of modifiers from all the X <and draw another card> cards. Which was great in the first scenario and then absolutely brutal in the second since half his attacks would end up hitting a curse card.

If I'm reading you right, no, not at all. You don't use any of those cards at the start. Look at the perk section of a character sheet and you'll see things like "add two more +1 cards", "replace a -2 with a 0", or "add two poison cards". This is the way you bring cards from that deck into your attack card deck.

• Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    Some cards have one or two pale, colored dots out to the right of some of the attack/move items. Do they mean anything?

wonderpug already answered the other question, so I'll field this one. The dots are places where you can eventually spend tons of money to permanently enhance your cards with stickers. Most commonly you'll be adding +1 stickers there, but there are also stickers that add status effects, increase AoE, infuse elements, etc. It's all crazy expensive though, so it's a late campaign thing.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »

If I'm reading you right, no, not at all. You don't use any of those cards at the start. Look at the perk section of a character sheet and you'll see things like "add two more +1 cards", "replace a -2 with a 0", or "add two poison cards". This is the way you bring cards from that deck into your attack card deck.

Ahh, okay. Well, that would have made one member of the party vastly more effective in the second scenario :p

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Played something like 4.5 hours of Gloomhaven on Sunday to do the first two scenarios. It was a lot of fun.
    Maybe it's a party-makeup or number of characters thing but the challenge in both scenarios was much more from optimizing damage dealt rather than dealing with damage sustained.
    Yeah, heals and shields seem reasonably plentiful but big attacks are hard to come by.
    Oh, and an even more general question regarding ability cards:

Not yet. Dun dun duuuuuuun
    Pale dot spoiler
    There's stickers! You'll learn about them soon.

antherem on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    If anyone here has/likes Champions of Midgard they're launching a Kickstarter tomorrow for the expansion. Not sure what all is going to add, but I like the base game a lot so I'm going to check it out.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    Played the intro scenario for Mage Knight solo this afternoon. Really cool stuff going on, I'd love to get a chance to sit down and play it for an afternoon with maybe 3 players.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Played the intro scenario for Mage Knight solo this afternoon. Really cool stuff going on, I'd love to get a chance to sit down and play it for an afternoon with maybe 3 players.

It's probably my group's favorite game

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
      edited February 2017

Bring a sleeping bag!

I'm kidding, of course. But you are going to want to plan for dinner. It's a fun game, but it takes a while.

Bursar on
      GNU Terry Pratchett
      PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
      Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
      egc6gp2emz1v.png
    • Options
      DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
      Mage Knight is one of my favourite games that I never ever feel like playing.

• Options
      Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
      edited February 2017
      Two hot board game news announcements today: there's a new 2p version of Caverna in the works (think Agricola all creatures big and small, but focused on mining out and building your cave instead of animals), and there's a new space themed reimplementation of terra mystica in the works (with a modular board and other neat stuff)

I am excited about these things

Ah_Pook on
    • Options
      CantidoCantido Registered User regular
      edited February 2017
      Anyone on how to use Mod Podge without fucking my Skull cards? I'm not familiar with this devil-substance.

Cantido on
      3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    • Options
      ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
      Cantido wrote: »
      Anyone on how to use Mod Podge without fucking my Skull cards? I'm not familiar with this devil-substance.

It sounds like the water base is causing them to warp and swell? Only real suggestion I would have is very thin coats and allow it to dry completely before the next one.

Otherwise, forget the mod podge and go for a spray varnish or acrylic like Snakes and Lattes uses for their games.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    • Options
      BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
      Bogart wrote: »
      Started reading the Arkham Horror book. The book is a collection of short pieces about each investigator, plus illustrations.

Hmmm. The first entry is pretty bad, a first person piece apparently by the handyman investigator whose tone is all over the shop. Sometimes colloquial and sometimes decidedly not, it's bad writing and worse editing. Iffy work, FFG. We'll see how the others are.

FFG makes great flavor text, but from what little I've experienced from one of their Arkham Horror novels and then this investigator book, anything more long-form than a playing card is beyond whatever folks work on their fiction. Frankly, the art style kind of strikes me the same way. It works really well as one part of a larger, multifaceted product like a board game, but lacks the soul needed to stand by itself.

• Options
      FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
      I've played a little Mage Knight, but I keep meaning to get Lost Legion to see how the full game content all interacts together. I like the base game, but knowing there could be more is like an itch I can never quite scratch when I'm playing, even if I'm having fun.

Ah_Pook wrote: »
      Two hot board game news announcements today: there's a new 2p version of Caverna in the works (think Agricola all creatures big and small, but focused on mining out and building your cave instead of animals), and there's a new space themed reimplementation of terra mystica in the works (with a modular board and other neat stuff)

I am excited about these things

I came this-| |- close to buying Terra Mystica last week. I guess I can wait until after this year's Essen to see how the next iteration works, but so far what I've heard seems damned promising.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
      That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    • Options
      Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
      Oh my copy of mintworks arrived.

Yay

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    • Options
      We had another Gloomhaven run last night and fell into line by getting stomped in the second room but we forgot losing a card to cancel a hit. So second run in there we made it all the way, but only just.

• Options
      Expedition: Endurance was a very solid TIME Stories module. Probably my second favorite overall (after Under the Mask), but a weak puzzle — the hint for it was completely obscure and the puzzle itself kind of came out of nowhere — towards the end deducted points. It's also not very complex, with a very clear "best" path, but its unique mechanic made for interesting times.

• Options
      JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
      edited February 2017
      Mint Works has arrived, but didn't make it to the table last night. Instead we played old favorites (Agricola, Glass Road, Favor of the Pharaoh), and the new game we introduced was Skyliners. It was my door prize from MittenCon last weekend. I had low expectations, but it was quite nice. The 3D city you build is appealing. The score track seems like a fun idea (it moves around the edges of the box) but has some functional issues and I'll probably just use paper in the future. Also, I don't know why the "introductory game" rules are even in there. The "advanced" rules are still simple, and are way more interesting.

Glass Road remains my favorite Euro. It's just so good. I probably should bump its rating even further up. Too bad it's not more popular; probably will never see an expansion.

JonBob on
      jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    • Options
      JonBob wrote: »

Glass Road remains my favorite Euro. It's just so good. I probably should bump its rating even further up. Too bad it's not more popular; probably will never see an expansion.

Do you think it really needs one tho?

• Options
      OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
      The Dresden Files Co-op Card Game is up for pre-order.

I'm pretty excited about the copy I have coming. My wife isn't really into a lot of the themes of the various games we have like this, which makes them hard to sell at boardgame nights with her in the corner essentially rolling her eyes. But she loves the Dresden Files.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    • Options
      antheremantherem Registered User regular

I'm pretty excited about the copy I have coming. My wife isn't really into a lot of the themes of the various games we have like this, which makes them hard to sell at boardgame nights with her in the corner essentially rolling her eyes. But she loves the Dresden Files.

I want this to be awesome, but Kickstarter exclusives that modify the game more than just cosmetically :/

• Options
      OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
      antherem wrote: »

I want this to be awesome, but Kickstarter exclusives that modify the game more than just cosmetically :/

I'm pretty sure Mouse is the only thing that is currently exclusive. Everything else is special art or something.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.