As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Internet radio and bandwidth

AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Does anyone know how much bandwidth is used by a typical internet radio station? If they vary a lot, is there a way I can measure a specific station like this one (warning, the music the play is pretty crap)? I'm trying to figure out how much of my company's bandwidth is used by a single user listening to streaming radio. Then, I can figure out how many users would have to be doing this to effectively cripple our network.

Thanks!

I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
AtomBomb on

• snarkssnarks Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    After the advertisement is over and the embedded Windows Media Player is done loading, right click on the player and click "Statistics". According to WMP, the station was streaming at 34k bits per second.

34k per second is well below the average; most corporate radio streams I've found are 64kbps, with the rare 96k stream. Looking at shoutcast.com, most stations are 128k and below.

snarks on
  • AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Thanks snarks. I ended up seeing the 34k and I'm glad you confirmed it. Some of the offices are sharing 256k, so streaming radio can really take up a large percentage.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162