As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pokécrawl Go!

RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnarRochester, NYRegistered User regular
edited March 2017 in PAX East
header.png

Pokécrawl Go!
This event is strictly 21+.

What is this?
The Pokécrawl is the PAX East version of Pre-PAX bar crawl. You may remember us from...the other seven Pokécrawls?

In any case, the Pokécrawl is a non-profit Pokémon themed bar crawl dedicated to raising money for Child's Play Charity. The gist of it is, we’ll guide you around Boston's Faneuil Hall area to various bars where you’ll meet fellow PAX attendees and be tasked with various drinking challenges. Along they way we’ll also be collecting donations for sick children. Last year we raised $2617 for Child’s Play!

It's a great way to get drunk, meet fellow PAXers and make a few friends before the convention itself. Check-in starts at 7:15 at your team's first bar. Every hour after that, you will rotate to another bar to meet a new team and proceed to humiliate them with your elite drinking skills. All the bars are within walking distance of each other.

What's New for Episode VII?
  • New teams! Valor, Mystic and Instinct will battle it out for supremacy! R.I.P Team Green, they had a good run.
  • Less…people? It’s true the crawl is smaller this year. The upside? Every team should be able to meet up with every other team. Feel free to complain, or better yet volunteer to help resurrect the fallen team.
  • There is now an official Facebook event!

How to Participate
Registration will open on February 23, 2016 at 7:15PM Eastern. You can register through Eventbrite at: http://Pokecrawl2017.eventbrite.com

You'll be able to register yourself and a +1. Any duplicate or suspicious registrations will be deleted, so don’t try pulling a fast one. There will not be a waitlist. Any cancellations or spots that open up will immediately go back into the pool so if you didn't get a ticket, keep checking. I’ll also do my best to update when tickets become available via twitter @PAXPokecrawl. You’ll need the ticket available on your smart device or a print out for check in at the first bar. We also ask that everyone donate at least $2 for Child's Play to receive the team buttons.

How Do I Win?
There's really no winning, per se. This is pretty much a fun, drunken night out with fellow nerds. But as we are raising money for Child's Play, the team that raises the most cash will be declared the PokéChampions giving them full bragging rights until next year.

For those of you who do manage to finish all the challenges, there will be a button confirming the fact that you have indeed "drank 'em all".

Teams
Team Valor, led by the Candela, who values training and strength. Candela is researching ways to enhance Pokemon's natural power as she tries to find true strength. Legendary bird Moltres.
Sun:
Professor – RidleyDragon
Assist – Fugitoid

Moon:
Professor – Maiu
Assist – BuddyTonto
Assist – VegaObscura

Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/699050850271350//

Team Instinct, led by Spark, who believes you will never lose when you trust your instincts. Spark studies Pokemon's intuition, and thinks that it's related to how Pokemon are hatched. Legendary bird Zapdos.
Sun:
Professor - Randomfool
Assist - Trixi_Hobbitses
Assist - mephaestus
Nurse Joy / Officer Jenny – SnephanieCA

Moon:
Professor – Willmannyeathat
Assist – Chichi
Assist – MoneyMelv

Facebook Group:https://www.facebook.com/groups/457479007657804/

Team Mystic, led by Blanche, studies Pokemon evolution and claims they cannot lose with their utilization of calm analysis. Legendary bird Articuno.
Sun:
Professor – Rappak
Assist – TorpedoStitches
Assist – ohnoitsjanna
Nurse Joy / Officer Jenny – gunsbeforeroses

Moon:
Professor – OhMyFionna
Assist – Macklin
Assist – TheTimLumb
Nurse Joy / Officer Jenny – LadyLecta

Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1472589279622592/

The Challenges

The schedule of challenges is as follows:
Bar 1: Starting Off Right - Welcome to a brand new world of Pokémon! Get to know some else on your team by buying each other a drink that's the same color as their favorite starter! If they pick Pikachu, get them a double.

Bar 2: Stock up at the Pokéstop - You and your opponent each buy a shot and a non-alcoholic drink. Swap the shots. Combine your new shot with your mixer and drink up!

Bar 3: Throw a Lure - Pair up with someone from your team AND two people from the opposing team, agree upon a shot and a beer. Cheers with the shot and get to know some new people.

Bar 4: Gym Battle! - Pair up with someone from the other team and together buy a mixed drink, a beer and water. Then play Rock/Paper/Scissors to see who drinks each.

Bar 5: Egg Hatch - Oh? You walked a lot getting around to all these places! Find someone from the other team and flip a coin. Heads they buy you your favorite drink, tails they buy you whatever they feel like. Find your professor to find out what sort of pokemon showed up.

Bonus: Big Magikarp - Drink some water. If you did all the challenges, drink a lot of it. Adding a fish is optional.
As always, all challenges are optional! Participate or not, it's up to you. There's no pressure but if you do complete all the challenges you'll be rewarded with an extra button.

Challenge Rules
Battle Fairly: All drinks must contain only a mix of drinking alcohol or legit mixers. No rubbing alcohol, ghost peppers, gasoline, bits of glass, or whatever nutty crap your internet-polluted minds can conjure up.
The challenger buys the drink: This keeps things fair and prevents anyone from breaking their opponent's bank by ordering them Dom Perignon mixed with Patron and topped off with Crystal Skull vodka.
Choose your partner outside: Each bar is going to be invaded by 100 people simultaneously. Whenever possible, find your partner outside and go in together to order.

Tips & Tricks
Don't Be a Dick: First and foremost, don't do anything that's going to embarrass yourself or anyone else. Especially since alcohol is going to be involved you're going to want to leave your asshole pants at home. Don't get punched in the face. This is Boston, after all.

Know Your Limit: The only person who knows your alcohol tolerance is you. There's nothing worse than an overindulged drunk, so don't be that guy. If someone notices that you're getting sloppy, you're already past the point of no return. You should probably stop drinking when someone points out to you that you're peeing on a bar stool.

Leave No Trainer Behind: We arrive as a group and leave as a group. If someone has to be That Guy/Gal who gets so wasted that they think they're actually Brock, it's the responsibility of the crawl as a whole to ensure this person makes it safely back to their hotel. Use the buddy system, handcuff yourselves to each other, whatever. No one is to vomit in a bus terminal by themselves. Not on this night, at least.

Respect the Professors & Assists: We’re not just there to hand out signatures and herd you around. We're doing our best to make sure everyone's having a good time and that things run safe and smoothly. If they're asking you to stop being a dick or trying to help you get home safely, pay attention.

Eat before you come to the crawl: Drinking on an empty stomach is a sure fire way to end up black out drunk and feeling like death in the morning. Ordering food while on the crawl is a terrible idea. I've seen people do it and they're pretty much always left behind still waiting for it.

Drink water: Drinking water as you go is the best way to ensure you have a fun night, and an at least ok morning.

Bring cash: This is, after all, a charity bar crawl! Make sure you have some extra money for whatever goodies your house leader may have for sale or auction. Also, using cash only makes the bartenders’ lives easier because it's faster than having to run a debit or credit card, and we need to keep the lines moving.

Volunteering
We're always looking for volunteers to help us ensure everything goes smoothly - it mostly requires checking trainers in at the first bar, herding trainers from one bar to the next, and making sure we don't lose anyone along the way. It's a fun job, but we prefer our volunteers to be mostly sober. Sober-ish. More sober than the trainers. This is a great option for those that don’t feel like waking up hungover on Friday, but still like the energy and social spirit of the crawl. Please PM either the Team Professor or Randomfool if you're interested.

Reminders:
  • Attendees are limited to registering for 2 tickets (Yourself + 1)
  • Duplicate/multiple orders or orders containing more than one ticket type, and otherwise suspicious orders will be cancelled. If you have an issue with registration, please contact me immediately.
  • You MUST provide your full name during the registration process, forum handle is optional.
  • You MUST be over the age of 21. No minors allowed. This is a bar crawl, please don't bring children.
  • If you harass people on the PAX forums. Facebook pages, or basically anywhere, you will be removed from the crawl, and your ticket will go back into the pool.
  • Please do not encourage your unregistered friends to come to the crawl with you. We love that word has spread about the crawl, and it has gotten overwhelmingly popular over the past few years. We've capped registration to 50 people per team to try and make this as easy on our volunteers and the bars as possible
  • You MUST have a print out of your confirmation email or have it available on your smartphone.
  • We will be collecting donations for our chosen charity, Child's Play, when you check in. We are asking for at least $2 to cover any buttons you receive/win. We'd love for you to give more after all, it is for a good cause.

Other Stuff
Routes are here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/37116489/#Comment_37116489

I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
Randomfool on

• plebpleb Chief Executive Butterfly Wrangler NYCRegistered User regular
    Hi I'm Pleb and I love the pokecrawl. TEAM YELLOW!

(Also I'm starting a super secret team pleb...message me if you want to join!)

• BlueLaguna88BlueLaguna88 Registered User new member
    Aww man, I hope my friends and I get the tickets, I'm a little concerned with one less team :/

• rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    nice did this my first pax and will be getting back into it this year

• ItaraItara Registered User regular
    Yay! I went last year and had a ton of fun, really looking forward to it again this year.

Question though, seeing as there are less teams this year will you be taking less people?

• craiolacraiola MARegistered User regular
    Question about this. How much do people typically end up spending on drinks? I'm interested but it also looks like it could get a little cost prohibitive :(

DXLJjjr.png
    edited February 2017
    craiola wrote: »
    Question about this. How much do people typically end up spending on drinks? I'm interested but it also looks like it could get a little cost prohibitive :(

If you decide to do every challenge, that's 6-7 drinks. This is about what it's been in the past, and at the bare minimum you could probably spend around $50? I usually spend more (around $70-$80) because I'm not buying the cheapest drinks, and I usually spend some money on food at some point.

BUT KEEP IN MIND you do NOT have to participate in all the challenges - you can simply do the challenges you wish, and drink at your own pace. In fact you don't have to drink at all if you don't want to! Either way, it'll be a great time!

pleb on
  • craiolacraiola MARegistered User regular
    Thanks! That's not bad at all. Glad to know you don't have to do all of the challenges.

DXLJjjr.png
  • MaiuMaiu Registered User regular
    craiola wrote: »
    Thanks! That's not bad at all. Glad to know you don't have to do all of the challenges.

Hello, Valor Moon Professor here :)

We're also actively raising money for Child's Play, with each team competing (casually) for most raised. So consider bringing extra money to donate as well. Each professor will be bringing unique Pokemon goodies to sell!

the 50 people per team is that 50 total or 50 +1 so 100 total per team

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I am 99% sure it's 50 total per team. +1s have always required their own ticket. It used to be 400 total and it looks like it will now be 300 total. Organizers, please correct me if I'm wrong.

how are u getting 300 total 3 teams right that would be 150 total wouldnt it be @zerzhul

• djlybsdjlybs Slayer of the Datas Boston MetroRegistered User regular
    rascrush wrote: »
    how are u getting 300 total 3 teams right that would be 150 total wouldnt it be @zerzhul

It's 6 teams. Sun & moon are two different sub-teams of 50 each. So, 300 would be correct.

MvyuK6O.png
  • DorksmetalDorksmetal Ann ArborRegistered User regular
    Can't wait to sign up.

• eilonwyeilonwy Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    djlybs wrote: »
    rascrush wrote: »
    how are u getting 300 total 3 teams right that would be 150 total wouldnt it be zerzhul

It's 6 teams. Sun & moon are two different sub-teams of 50 each. So, 300 would be correct.

To clarify, this is less than last year?

zerzhul on
  • KumaKuma Registered User regular
    Why the drop in teams? It always seemed manageable and no one really got into trouble.

f7v9h.jpg
  • Streetlight345Streetlight345 Seekonk, MARegistered User regular
    I'm assuming it has to do with volunteers rather than managing and getting in trouble. It sounds like Green team would return if volunteers were available based on the OP

OgqpDBS.png
    PAX East 2019!
    Badges [X] Hotel [X] Time off request [X]
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Streetlight345
    Ahh I see now. I wonder if anyone has volunteered yet. I have always been on green and would love to see it come back.

f7v9h.jpg
  • RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnar Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    The crawl is 300 people this year; 6 teams of 50. Everyone will need their own ticket but a each person can register for up to two tickets (as is tradition). It does get a little confusing with the whole Team <NAME> nomenclature.

The biggest reason for the drop in numbers is volunteers. Team Green has lost the most and since they don't translate to Pokemon Go, it was relatively easy to cut them. I fooled around with increasing team size as well but based on our average attendance rate that would put us over the reasonable max for some of the bars on the crawl. Even with the current numbers we're still short on volunteers so let me or the team leader know if you're interested!

I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
    400 people to 300 people...
    And Team Green is being cut...
    Because they aren't represented in Pokemon GO....which has yellow...blue...and red...
    Yellow/Blue/Red are the colors on the Columbian Flag, which was heavily influenced by the designs of Francisco de Miranda....WHO WAS A FREEMASON

WHAT DID TEAM GREEN KNOW THAT THE FREEMASONS DON'T WANT US TO KNOW?!

Teem Green in being silenced. This is a conspiracy, and I think it goes RIGHT TO THE TOP. Team Pleb will get to the bottom of it....don't you worry.

pleb wrote: »
    400 people to 300 people...
    And Team Green is being cut...
    Because they aren't represented in Pokemon GO....which has yellow...blue...and red...
    Yellow/Blue/Red are the colors on the Columbian Flag, which was heavily influenced by the designs of Francisco de Miranda....WHO WAS A FREEMASON

WHAT DID TEAM GREEN KNOW THAT THE FREEMASONS DON'T WANT US TO KNOW?!

Teem Green in being silenced. This is a conspiracy, and I think it goes RIGHT TO THE TOP. Team Pleb will get to the bottom of it....don't you worry.

MOTHER OF GOD....

f7v9h.jpg
    Randomfool wrote: »
    The crawl is 300 people this year; 6 teams of 50. Everyone will need their own ticket but a each person can register for up to two tickets (as is tradition). It does get a little confusing with the whole Team <NAME> nomenclature.

The biggest reason for the drop in numbers is volunteers. Team Green has lost the most and since they don't translate to Pokemon Go, it was relatively easy to cut them. I fooled around with increasing team size as well but based on our average attendance rate that would put us over the reasonable max for some of the bars on the crawl. Even with the current numbers we're still short on volunteers so let me or the team leader know if you're interested!

So if i get two tickets like me and a +1 can both those tickets be in my name or does 1 have to be in my name and 1 in the 2nd persons name.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    they can both be in your name. when you go to check in at the starting bar, just have both tickets ready on your device or printed out.

How many volunteers would it take theoretically to get green up and running?

f7v9h.jpg
  • smorggiesmorggie Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Kuma wrote: »
    How many volunteers would it take theoretically to get green up and running?

I am guessing the answer to that would be 17. I think the goal would be to fill up the volunteer slots that are currently open (7) before they could consider getting team green up and running (8 more). Also the professors have a decent amount of responsibility leading up to the crawl. Typically they order merchandise to sell to their team to raise money, etc. So all of this would need to happen fairly quickly, plus more bars would need to be added to the schedule.

I'm not trying to be discouraging, more like saying VOLUNTEER NOW!

• thetimlumbthetimlumb Registered User new member
    First time going to PAX East and the Pokecrawl. I'll be helping Fionna's side of Team Mystic, although you'll probably still see me with a craft beer of sorts.

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    If I wind up coming, I almost want to wear Team Green stuff just because. :(

Plus, I don't wanna buy new color themed clothes. Haha.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85

B4o6XD4.png
    boom me and my buddies got valor moon looking foward to having a good time at my 2nd pokecrawl

• z silver1984z silver1984 Geek Dad Newport MaineRegistered User regular
    Team Valor Moon!

edited February 2017
    Mystic Moon will be represented well

Kuma on
    f7v9h.jpg
  • ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    Now that you have your ticket to the crawl come meet up for some pre-pub grub

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2017-pre-pax-dinner-gathering-tickets-32243116028

• Streetlight345Streetlight345 Seekonk, MARegistered User regular
    Mystic Moon checking in!

OgqpDBS.png
    PAX East 2019!
    Badges [X] Hotel [X] Time off request [X]
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Streetlight345
  • DorksmetalDorksmetal Ann ArborRegistered User regular
    I missed it :( danget

• whtknightwhtknight Registered User regular
    Can't believe I missed it after being there for the previous 2 years :(

• MaiuMaiu Registered User regular
    whtknight wrote: »

As we confirm orders, we will release any fraudulent ones back into the pool, so keep checking in!

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Maiu wrote: »

As we confirm orders, we will release any fraudulent ones back into the pool, so keep checking in!

And I am sure people will back out and I believe those tickets go back into the pool?

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
    redfield85 wrote: »

And I am sure people will back out and I believe those tickets go back into the pool?

True fact.

B4o6XD4.png
    redfield85 wrote: »

It's how I got in the first year. Keep your eyes open. Especially close to game time

f7v9h.jpg
  • KimbuttesKimbuttes Registered User regular
    Husband and I are in the market for two tickets on any team, if someone is dropping out!

any update on routes?